Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2022, 14:13   #1

Honda Civic: LHS axle broke off

The Issue:

My car - Civic LXI 2.0 L automatic petrol (left hand drive) (MFG - 2017)
Location - UAE

My left side axle broke down while the car was being driven.

When/ How

The driver was driving the car at normal speed (30-50km/hr) suddenly the car stopped moving so they pushed the car to the road side. Initially they thought may be it was because of low gear oil.
We then shifted the car to a nearby workshop hoping that gear oil top up would do the magic but on inspection the mechanic told that the axle has broken.

History

The car is 2017 model, i had bought it from the first owner last year July.
The car had 5 years Honda warranty and all the service was done at authorized service Centre. The vehicle has run around 95000km (not considered as high odometer reading in UAE).
During the last warranty service that is around Oct/Nov 2021 i had raised few concerns like all the beadings had worn out and there is a small knocking sound on the left hand side while turning. Accordingly as per service guys under warranty they have replaced all worn out rubber beadings and some few other plastic items and joint set outboard on both sides.
On 07/07/22 my axle broke.

Current Status

The car is with Honda service center and as per them this is very rare or non occurrent and they haven't found a reason and they are still investigating to find the reason.

I believe either there is a manufacturing defect in any of the part or they havent replaced the joint set or bad workmanship. The original axle costs around 1250$.

I would like to get fellow members input on what is the cause for the axle to break or like I said is it manufacturing defect or negligence from workshop.

I am attaching a few photos that i was able to take of the axle.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic: LHS axle broke off-1657786069609.jpg  

Honda Civic: LHS axle broke off-1657786069637.jpg  

Honda Civic: LHS axle broke off-1657786069647.jpg  

Honda Civic: LHS axle broke off-img20220708wa0007.jpg  

Honda Civic: LHS axle broke off-img20220708wa0008.jpg  

Honda Civic: LHS axle broke off-img20220708wa0005.jpg  

Honda Civic: LHS axle broke off-img20220708wa0009.jpg  

Honda Civic: LHS axle broke off-img20220708wa0004.jpg  

arjunuv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 17:35   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic: LHS axle broke off

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunuv View Post
.... there is a small knocking sound on the left hand side while turning. ....
This points to one of the major symptom before axle failure. I'm surprised the service center guys did not take this up. After your visit to the service center, was this problem (sound) solved?

CV joint failure is very rare and 99% of the time happens due to inadequate lubrication. Read: Axle boot failure. Which can be a common occurrence. At every service, it is mandatory to check axle boot, along with other important checks.

In your case, i think the boot has failed months back and the service center guys have failed to notice it. If you take this matter forward, you should be getting a free axle replacement.

They should even pay for the distress you faced on the road! Utter irresponsibility on the service center, especially if the reason for failure is an axle boot.
dhanushs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 18:45   #3

Re: Honda Civic: LHS axle broke off

Yes, the sound was gone and it was done in last year October. I pointed out to them about the noise, they told me they have changed the joint set outboard on both sides but again i doubt whether they actually changed or just lubricated and left the same one on it.

Now are you suggesting that the axle gradually developed crack due to faulty joint set and even though i changed the joint set by then it had already developed into a major crack.

I raised the same concern with the service center that the axle must have broken because of faulty joints but they are just saying no we checked and it looks ok. Basically they just want me to quietly pay and get it done. I told them first you identify the reason for the axle breaking, other than accident only chance for it to break is faulty workmanship or issues with joint set, its almost 10 days since my car broke down and even if i have to replace it i have to order the part and wait for another three weeks.

I am just waiting for their response so that i can escalate it to higher ups.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks