Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2022, 11:50   #16
BHPian

re: Is it time to sell my Mitsubishi Outlander?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirefree View Post
I’d really like to continue using this car. Maybe even for 20 years total.
You most definitely should! From what you've described, the car seems fine. Just make sure you're on top of your preventive maintenance game and it should keep serving you well.

I'd upgrade the ICE, get something with Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, maybe a fresh coat of paint, get the wheels painted, headlights and taillights refurbished and that's about it, basically. No point in getting a new car right now unless your budget goes up to 50 Lakh
DeKay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 12:56   #17
BHPian

Assuming that you have maintained your car well and that you dont foresee a major repair or parts replacement, please retain your car. Considering the resale value of your car and the all time high prices of new cars, its a no brainer. Other than the gizmos on the modern cars ( excluding hybrids ) there is no great difference when compared to todays cars. In search of diamond dont loose the gold. Cherish your machine. Wish you many more miles on outlander.
Gypsian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 14:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
for no particular reason except that my Father is of the opinion that post 10 years car invariably accrues expenses. Perhaps he’s right.
In this case, he isn't. A new car will depreciate at a far higher rate than the maintenance costs of an old car in decent condition. Barring very few exceptions, buying a new car is almost always a financially bad move.

If you or your father want a new car, go for it. But it's a want, not a need.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 14:23   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Appreciate the opportunity to submit a question on this forum.

I drive a Mitsubishi Outlander bought anew in 2010. It’s a good car: no issues as such. ...

Please share your thoughts.
I bought my Outlander new in 2008. It was the new body style for the year and we opted for the 2.5 over the 3.0 v6 (don't ask )
It was a fun car, my parents loved the quiet comfort and the loading area was easily accessible for any kind of cargo or luggage. The anti-pinch windows also gave peace of mind as my kids were young at the time.

Sold it in 2015 after it had covered about 55K and since then owned a CRV EX and now a 2022 RAV4 Hybrid.

Some of the things I still miss from my Outlander is the quick acting AWD system, the MIVEC response past 4k RPM and last but not least , the split tailgate.
Even RR and LC owners were surprised to see that this little crossover had a fully functional split gate with 200KG load capacity.

If your is still running fine and if you can find a reliable Mitsubishi mechanic then it may give you good service for about 150-200K kms since I've seen many examples with that kind of mileage in Middle East.

But if your family thinks its time to move on then that's that. Better off getting a more modern SUV that'll give you guaranteed aftersales service for the next 10 years or so.

Signing off with my 2008 Outlander
Name:  At tire graveyard.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  181.4 KB
BloggerMathai is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 18:30   #20
BHPian

I'm all in for environmental protection, and the scrapping of inefficient cars at 15 years, but I look around (Uttar Pradesh) and see countless old timers being re-registered at C-Town RTO's, and then 'legally' plying any road, including the NCR.

Perhaps you trod down this route?
lemedico is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 19:28   #21
Senior - BHPian

A well maintained less driven private car does not and never will fall into this inefficient category.

India requires a strong MOT kind of law and enforcement which allows people using well maintained old cars to continue to use them responsibly. This will be way better than the poorly thought through, draconian, sugarcane or other lobby influenced policies that seem to be rife with these governmental authorities now.

The emissions and adverse environmental impact associated with producing a new car will always be far higher than that caused by a normal person driving his well maintained old car.

If we want to talk EVs yes let’s do so. But apart from the emissions in producing a new car, there are also considerable poisons involved in making batteries and the adverse environmental impact of mining rare earths, the haphazard planning around proper safe disposal of these used batteries without letting those poisonous chemicals to render down and leach into the water and soil which helps grow our food.

Our country is a poor one. The car using elite are relatively few and are largely concentrated in these big cities and urban concentrations. There is absolutely no harm in allowing the decently maintained old cars, after due MOT/ RTO passing, to become registered in smaller towns thus providing safer, more comfortable, bad weather protecting, mobility opportunities for those who live there and who may not have such high disposable incomes as those in urban areas do.

Then, we talk so much about fuel emissions and pollution. There can never in this lifetime, be any reasonable comparison between the emissions caused by a well maintained private petrol or diesel car, and the smoke belching public transport and goods transport vehicles and indeed, even the wonderful stubble burning activities that people indulge in.

The arguments are numerous. So basically there is no one single permanent cure or panacea for these ills that we are beset by. In such a circumstance, probably the most sensible method to follow is the one as mentioned above, which the UK follows.

I’m sure many people here will have multiple points of view on this.
This is mine and I wanted to air it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
I'm all in for environmental protection, and the scrapping of inefficient cars at 15 years, but I look around (Uttar Pradesh) and see countless old timers being re-registered at C-Town RTO's, and then 'legally' plying any road, including the NCR.

Perhaps you trod down this route?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 13th July 2022 at 19:31. Reason: Addons
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 12:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion it would be unwise to buy any fossil fuel car now. If you can, you must wait for about 3/5 years more and allow the battery technology to mature. Meanwhile hang on to your existing fossil fuelled vehicle and wait for truly useful EV to be built. The next car we all should buy should be a EV with no compromise on range, drivability and waiting for charging them.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 12:37   #23
BHPian

Quote:

for no particular reason except that my Father is of the opinion that post 10 years car invariably accrues expenses. Perhaps he’s right. What do you think?
I would say, don't sell it at all as you yourself said that you don't have any particular reason. Your father may very well be right but you really need to see if the car is really becoming a burden to keep.

If you enjoy the car, maintaining it is not hugely expensive (i.e. above 70-80k an year) and the car is mechanically sound and reliable, then IMO it's a mistake to sell it.

If one buys a car just because he/she wants a feel of a new car then trust me, that feel will die down real quick.

Think from your head and not your heart.
swiftLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 13:54   #24
BHPian

If there is no fault in the car - please continue using it. Doesn't make financial or ecological sense to buy a new car in this case.
We've been using a 105k run 2007 Mitsubishi Cedia since 2009 (bought pre-owned at 32k) and it does a great job of being a city run-about. Plan on holding on to it for ~4-5 years more taking it to about 20 years, and then moving to a compact EV. Just got the car re-painted and changed the tires so it feels great!!
If you want to treat yourself - get a new ICE set up or new seat covers it will brighten things up.
govindasrani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 07:49   #25
BHPian

Quote:

I drive a Mitsubishi Outlander bought anew in 2010. It’s a good car: no issues as such. But I’m being encouraged by family to sell & buy anew - for no particular reason except that my Father is of the opinion that post 10 years car invariably accrues expenses.

Haha. Selling because of the fear of accruing expenses? Why not drive it till it starts accruing expenses? And then look at how much expenses it accrues?

It's no German. So it's expenses will never be colossal. What'll be colossal is the insane prices of new cars

You like the car. Keep it.

I drive a modified 2010 Honda City. It's more fun to drive than my 2019 Skoda Octavia. I've not faced any huge expenses besides wear and tear items. I'm keeping it forever. Although my manufacturer and model still sells in India.
evil_grin is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 12:43   #26

Re: Is it time to sell my Mitsubishi Outlander?

I own the same car and bought it in 2011. I am faced with the same dilemma, have driven it quite a bit, and it now has 115000 km on it. Has been always reliable, and very low maintenance. I live in Pune and the engineer who used to service it from the day I bought still runs a small repair facility and does all the servicing for me.

I have toyed with the idea of changing/upgrading and cannot find anything that actually comes close. We are moving to Goa and have to use the ferry a lot. The whole ferry thing is handled beautifully by this beast!! Haven't had a single issue with going on the ferry and coming off it in the past 4 years.

I am going to keep it and run it to the ground!! If you plan to sell your's do let me know. I maybe interested!!

Laxman

Quote:
Appreciate the opportunity to submit a question on this forum.

I drive a Mitsubishi Outlander bought anew in 2010. It’s a good car: no issues as such. But I’m being encouraged by family to sell & buy anew - for no particular reason except that my Father is of the opinion that post 10 years car invariably accrues expenses. Perhaps he’s right. What do you think?

About the car:
1. serviced annually at the dealer, every year since 2010
2. City average: ~ 10kmpl; Highway ~ 15kmpl
3. Some wear & tear of window’s rubber skirting
4. Electronics & electricals 👍
5. Last annual service reported some wear & tear of brake pads (replaced since) and underbody (?? No details given)
6. Only 87k kms done

Please share your thoughts.

Regards,
Gaurav
Old 22nd January 2023, 20:57   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyerlax View Post
I own the same car and bought it in 2011. I am faced with the same dilemma, have driven it quite a bit, and it now has 115000 km on it. Has been always reliable, and very low maintenance. I live in Pune and the engineer who used to service it from the day I bought still runs a small repair facility and does all the servicing for me.

I have toyed with the idea of changing/upgrading and cannot find anything that actually comes close. We are moving to Goa and have to use the ferry a lot. The whole ferry thing is handled beautifully by this beast!! Haven't had a single issue with going on the ferry and coming off it in the past 4 years.

I am going to keep it and run it to the ground!! If you plan to sell your's do let me know. I maybe interested!!

Laxman
Hi.. I would request you to share the mechanic's contact details as i am looking for one for the outlander.
Old 23rd January 2023, 12:35   #28
BHPian

I think a lot will depend on how much you are offered for it right now. If it is a dismal amount then the replacement cost of this vehicle with a similar vehicle would be astronomical. The additional burden IMO will not be worth the replacement. If you feel that the interior is getting old and the seats etc are wearing out, a refresh would be a great move right now.
Old 26th January 2023, 02:58   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyerlax View Post
I live in Pune and the engineer who used to service it from the day I bought still runs a small repair facility and does all the servicing for me.
Hi Laxman can you DM me the service engineers info am having some issues with the outlander I have.
Old 10th March 2023, 00:16   #30
BHPian

Very interesting thread! I'm in a freakishly similar position myself having to suddenly move to Delhi where my 7 seater Outtie will hit the 15 yr mark in about 3.5 yrs. After much deliberation I'm certainly hanging onto mine given the ridiculous prices of any new car that can rival the Outlander.
A lot of comments came thru about reliable service garages. If anyone here can share or DM for Delhi NCR a reliable service center/FNG they've personally used and trust that would be appreciated!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks