Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2022, 17:41   #1

Is it time to sell my Mitsubishi Outlander?

Appreciate the opportunity to submit a question on this forum.

I drive a Mitsubishi Outlander bought anew in 2010. It’s a good car: no issues as such. But I’m being encouraged by family to sell & buy anew - for no particular reason except that my Father is of the opinion that post 10 years car invariably accrues expenses. Perhaps he’s right. What do you think?

About the car:
1. serviced annually at the dealer, every year since 2010
2. City average: ~ 10kmpl; Highway ~ 15kmpl
3. Some wear & tear of window’s rubber skirting
4. Electronics & electricals 👍
5. Last annual service reported some wear & tear of brake pads (replaced since) and underbody (?? No details given)
6. Only 87k kms done

I’d really like to continue using this car. Maybe even for 20 years total.

Please share your thoughts.

Regards,
Gaurav
wirefree is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 17:57   #2
BHPian

re: Is it time to sell my Mitsubishi Outlander?

Well, it’s been 12 years with the car so:-
1. Change it, treat yourself with a much better car and since you’ll keep it for long, invest in something a couple of segments above the Outlander
2. We don’t know how Mitsubishi’s service centres will be in the near future
3. I can see that your location is in Delhi, so I guess you’ll have to change it near the 15 year mark anyhow
4. Yes, however well the car is maintained it does need some expense after a certain age
5. And lastly, if you still want to keep the car, hold on to it till you want, it’s your car after all !
NarediAni7518 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 18:14   #3
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirefree View Post
But I’m being encouraged by family to sell & buy anew
I am on the same boat with my 12 year old, 93k driven Safari. Whenever I go to get something replaced or repaired, they say the same thing. On the other hand, colleagues push for a new car without any reason.

My take on this is simple. I will replace the car when there are issues cropping up which takes considerable amount of my time or the fuel guzzler starts consuming the amount of fuel which I can't afford (not related to mileage, but the fuel price itself).

I have seen many cars being launched which consume no fuel(EV) or half the amount which my car consumes (Diesel Hondas and the like), but I have stuck to what I need.

Others do not know about the car as much as me and I will take an informed decision. I will suggest the same to you. Take a call when issues actually start cropping up!
Registration expiring in 2025 though.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 10th July 2022 at 18:23.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 18:50   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Considering it is an Outlander, though a good vehicle, I too would suggest to start looking for a good deal.

with the kind of service network and rarity of the model, it will be with time, difficult to maintain it or sell it.

By itself, the car will go on for much longer. However if the resale value quotes are too low, then one option is ff you can manage to get required spares from outside. In such a case, keep this as a second car and get another one.

Then again, the 15-year rule would kick in for you in sometime.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 18:57   #5
BHPian

That's good to go for a few more miles till you feel the need for more. If at all you plan to let it go, ping me
Thatautoguy46 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 19:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

12 years and 87k km? That is not very high running. If the car has no major problems, I'd keep running it.

If your family is apprehensive about the reliability, rent an Innova or something similar for a highway trip.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 19:55   #7
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Keep the car unless you are noticing/feeling issues. In couple of years, EVs (technologically and charging networkwise) should have considerable progress. Also, considering the brand and in you are in last 3 years of registration, I doubt that you will be able to save some serious money if you sell now versus later (looking at cost of upgrade, depreciation for 3 years, interest cost etc).. Drive it and enjoy the last few years that you have with the car..
youknowitbetter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 21:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

The car seems and will go a lot more than it already has but it's also true that the 15 year mark is fast approaching.

What I suggest is to keep the Outlander aside for now and think that if you have to buy a car now what are your needs, research, take TDs and if you find a car that hits bullseye then think about selling the Outlander. If you can't find that car then the Outlander is always there and keep the learnings for a later date when this becomes a necessity.

I don't know your requirements or budget but if you want to get some details on the current SUV scenario here's an informative thread by Poitive.

Last edited by shancz : 10th July 2022 at 21:19. Reason: typos
shancz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 08:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

First off, I am a total convert to and supporter of your way of thinking.

Keeping your Outlander has many positives.
1.Consider financial prudence and avoidance of wasteful or unnecessary expenditure - Warren Buffett keeps his cars for long durations. So did Ingvar Kamprad the founder of Ikea.
2.Consider the Environment: The CO2 emissions produced when making new cars are far far higher than those created by people like yourself who are driving a 12 year old car. Low running. Timely maintenance. No wastage. Low carbon footprint.
3. The Outlander is an excellent versatile vehicle. A great Grand Tourer. My friend has one about the same vintage as yours and he says he will never sell it.

To look at the cons;
1. Mitsubishi is no longer in India. Hence spares and maintenance can be a headache. Unless of course you have a good experienced garage to whom you can go and if you dont mind bringing in necessary spares from Thailand or Dubai where spares are plentifully available.
2. Technology is outdated. Yes this is a negative if you love the latest gadgetry etc. But to me, it is a kind of a blessing because there is less to go wrong.

In the case of a well maintained vehicle with low running like yours there is less likelihood of things going bad. Only routine maintenance and age related parts changes will be needed.

More like Op-Ex which in my book is far better than big fat Cap-Ex which will inevitably accrue if you were to consider buying a new car. When considering the prices of new cars these days, I am of the opinion that they are completely ridiculous considering what they offer!

In conclusion, I would vote that you keep this vehicle if you are happy with it as you evidently seem to be.

And frankly at this moment there is no real replacement for the Mitsubishi Outlander unless you consider the new Scorpio N. and that is likely to have a good long wait list once they start taking bookings.

I guess with this NGT ruling, you can drive this petrol vehicle for a few more years, so you should take full advantage of that.

The Outlander is a rare and lovely vehicle:

Quote:

I drive a Mitsubishi Outlander bought anew in 2010. It’s a good car: no issues as such. But I’m being encouraged by family to sell & buy anew - for no particular reason except that my Father is of the opinion that post 10 years car invariably accrues expenses. Perhaps he’s right. What do you think?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 11th July 2022 at 08:33. Reason: Cut quote
shankar.balan is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 09:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

If you really like your car, I would say, keep it for as long as you can.
If you are looking at replacing it with a similar car (Tiguan, new Tucson....) it is going to cost you 40+ lakhs but they may not be as fun to drive. Of course, modern cars come with loads of features which you will be missing out in an old car.
I recently sold my Chevy Forester (2004 model, which I bought it as used in 2010 and drove for 11 years) and bought a low run pre-owned Tiguan Allspace. While the Tiguan is much more modern and way ahead in terms of features, I do miss the Forester in terms of the steering feel/feedback (being hydraulic) and the ride/handling while driving on highways. I believe that the Outlander belongs to similar school of thought.
Guna is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 12:54   #11
BHPian

Quote:

About the car:
1. serviced annually at the dealer, every year since 2010
2. City average: ~ 10kmpl; Highway ~ 15kmpl
3. Some wear & tear of window’s rubber skirting
4. Electronics & electricals 👍
5. Last annual service reported some wear & tear of brake pads (replaced since) and underbody (?? No details given)
6. Only 87k kms done

Please share your thoughts.

Regards,
Gaurav

From what I see, Some states are trying to implement Scraping Policy - check this here https://citizenmatters.in/scrapping-...l-sector-28281. I am not sure if other stats will be followed. You have'nt mentioned if the car is Petrol or diesel as well. If its diesel, do check the link I shared here.

My take would be,

1. Its almost 12 years old car, and a lot has been upgraded, Completely New Tech for the car, safety and comfort. So it is really a good time to sell it out and buy a new one.

2. As you mentioned, Regular service + No issues, this can fetch you a good deal!

3. Its 12 years old.. come on!
yogesh12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 10:04   #12
BHPian

I own a Gen 4 2015 Honda CR-V, which is from the same segment. Trust me, these cars are so good that there is hardly a worthy replacement that does not cost a bomb. Some things that your car has that the modern vehicles will not offer you:
  1. 2.4 litre NA engine. No replacement for displacement.
  2. A decent AWD system with lockable centre differential.
  3. A few other intangible values that these cars offer.
Since your car is trouble free, I do not see any reason to sell the car. Just because if it old, does not mean it will incur expenses. Keep it for as long as you can and enjoy the vehicle.
mohitchalla is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 10:23   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Me too. I drive a 2005 Hyundai Tucson. 160k driven. Fitness renewed till 2025. I spent almost a lac on preventive maintenance 7-8 years back (clutch, suspension, turbo overhaul, etc). After that it has been just regular oil change, tyres and brake pads. I don't see a reason to replace this car. It is far more valuable to me than the amount i will get for this now.
K a s h is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 10:46   #14
BHPian

I have a 2010 outlander as well.. the thought does cross my mind often, but the challenge is a NO good alternative for outlander - hard to find.. this is gem of a car, if it is running good and with no major issues, I would say keep it.
npawan29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 11:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic.
The Tucson was a heck of a car when it came out. I remember I wanted it very much but 16-17 lacs on road then was unattainable for me.
I agree with what you say. That vehicle will not fetch any resale now so it is best you keep it and use it. Considering that it is a well maintained car.

And you can also be happy that your low usage and excellent maintenance ensures less wastage and definitely less carbon footprint, from an environmental perspective, than if you were to go and buy and new car today. Not to forget the huge cap ex outlay and the fact that you will not get a worthy replacement at all. Its is much better to incur op ex on a good car like this and keep running it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K a s h View Post
Me too. I drive a 2005 Hyundai Tucson. 160k driven. Fitness renewed till 2025. It is far more valuable to me than the amount i will get for this now.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks