Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2022, 23:22   #1

Drove my Civic through water, engine hydrolocked | 1.55 lakh estimate for engine overhaul & repairs

Hi all,

The recent heavy rains in Bangalore and poor condition of the roads and the drainage resulted in my Honda Civic sucking up water. A bus moving through the road, created a mini wave and my car managed to suck up water through the intake. Ofcourse, it stalled after that. Water got into the cabin.

This is a 2008 model and now I'm given an estimate of 1.55 lakh for repairs. With 50k for the engine overhauling itself. The car has done 80k+ kms so far. I have insurance that does cover natural calamity including flooding. I think they provide 50% coverage for parts provided there is a GST bill. I know for sure there will be no GST bill for engine overhauling and maybe many others as well (perhaps most items under Machine room and outside works in the bill below).

Alternator is jammed, so is the starter motor. I have included some pictures to show you the state of the engine and the clutch plate. Clutch plate is actually new and hasn't done even 3k kms.

Looking for some expert opinion on these matters:
1. How reasonable is the estimate?
2. Engine overhaul or find an engine from a scrapped or totaled vehicle?
3. Insurance has sent a long questionnaire, knowing how insurance companies are and trying every reason to reject. Could someone PM and assist me how to approach filling the questionnaire?
4. I feel the cost to fix jammed alternator, AC compressor is on the high side.
5. Any suggestions on which garage in Bangalore would do a good job at a reasonable price?
6. Any contacts in Bangalore that does engine overhaul or will be able to provide an engine from a scrapped car?

Appreciate your inputs. Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Drove my Civic through water, engine hydrolocked | 1.55 lakh estimate for engine overhaul & repairs-whatsapp-image-20220630-11.14.56-pm.jpeg  

Drove my Civic through water, engine hydrolocked | 1.55 lakh estimate for engine overhaul & repairs-whatsapp-image-20220630-11.14.57-pm-1.jpeg  

Drove my Civic through water, engine hydrolocked | 1.55 lakh estimate for engine overhaul & repairs-whatsapp-image-20220630-11.14.57-pm.jpeg  

Drove my Civic through water, engine hydrolocked | 1.55 lakh estimate for engine overhaul & repairs-whatsapp-image-20220630-11.14.58-pm-1.jpeg  

Drove my Civic through water, engine hydrolocked | 1.55 lakh estimate for engine overhaul & repairs-whatsapp-image-20220630-11.14.58-pm.jpeg  

Drove my Civic through water, engine hydrolocked | 1.55 lakh estimate for engine overhaul & repairs-whatsapp-image-20220630-11.14.59-pm-1.jpeg  

Drove my Civic through water, engine hydrolocked | 1.55 lakh estimate for engine overhaul & repairs-whatsapp-image-20220630-11.14.59-pm-2.jpeg  

Drove my Civic through water, engine hydrolocked | 1.55 lakh estimate for engine overhaul & repairs-whatsapp-image-20220630-11.14.59-pm.jpeg  

Drove my Civic through water, engine hydrolocked | 1.55 lakh estimate for engine overhaul & repairs-whatsapp-image-20220630-11.15.00-pm-1.jpeg  

Drove my Civic through water, engine hydrolocked | 1.55 lakh estimate for engine overhaul & repairs-whatsapp-image-20220630-11.15.00-pm.jpeg  

Drove my Civic through water, engine hydrolocked | 1.55 lakh estimate for engine overhaul & repairs-whatsapp-image-20220604-1.46.44-pm.jpeg  

Drove my Civic through water, engine hydrolocked | 1.55 lakh estimate for engine overhaul & repairs-whatsapp-image-20220604-1.52.03-pm-1.jpeg  

frontech is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 10:25   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Drove my Civic through water, engine hydrolocked | 1.55 lakh estimate for engine overhaul & repairs

It's an almost 15-year old car with 80,000+ km on the clock. Claim the insurance and sell it.

Buy something newer & nicer if you have the budget. If constrained, you could do a lateral upgrade to another Civic / Corolla. Cars are never the same after severe flood damage. My Sunny has been through two floods, so first-hand experience. Problems & issues kept cropping up, even a year after flood damage.

Last edited by GTO : 1st July 2022 at 11:55.
GTO is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 11:31   #3
BHPian

re: Drove my Civic through water, engine hydrolocked | 1.55 lakh estimate for engine overhaul & repairs

Second GTO's opinion, it is an old car & water damaged at that, not worth investing time, efforts & money. No matter how much you spend, it will never be the same. If possible, think of replacing the car.

If at all, that is not possible for some reason, I hope you find a way out of this soon. All the best. I am not very knowledgable on mechanical components so can't be of much help there.
Engine_Roars is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 11:48   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontech View Post
I have insurance that does cover natural calamity including flooding. I think they provide 50% coverage for parts provided there is a GST bill. I know for sure there will be no GST bill for engine overhauling and maybe many others as well (perhaps most items under Machine room and outside works in the bill below).
You have to show that the car was flooded when parked, if the damage is while moving, you cannot claim under Insurance unless you have purchased specific protection for the Engine (water damage).

Not recommended to fake as not ethical (illegal too) besides, it will be hard to prove.

The best shot, try to find out an old running engine from an accidental car, otherwise, ask how much is the engine assembly from the dealership(half engine may be enough)

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st July 2022 at 13:36. Reason: small addition.
Turbanator is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 13:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
You have to show that the car was flooded when parked, if the damage is while moving, you cannot claim under Insurance unless you have purchased specific protection for the Engine (water damage) Not recommended as not ethical besides, it will be hard to prove.
With what the OP has described it seems he hasn't logged a claim yet and the engine has been dismantled without the Insurance company/surveyor's permission. So if that is the case the insurance company can reject the claim even if he proves water entered the engine while it was not in use, which is again difficult to prove with the amount of rust already developed inside the engine.

Also, being a 15 year old vehicle, it would be important to know what is the Insured Declared Value (IDV) the OP has on his policy as this looks like a total loss insurance claim if payable.
SnS_12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 14:25   #6

Sorry, forgot to include the details of the estimate in the first post.
Attached Images

frontech is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 15:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

The car is old. That is a tall bill, sell it and move on. You can upgrade or look at the second hand market.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 22:34   #8

Re: Drove my Civic through water, engine hydrolocked | 1.55 lakh estimate for engine overhaul & repa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
With what the OP has described it seems he hasn't logged a claim yet and the engine has been dismantled without the Insurance company/surveyor's permission. So if that is the case the insurance company can reject the claim even if he proves water entered the engine while it was not in use, which is again difficult to prove with the amount of rust already developed inside the engine.

Also, being a 15 year old vehicle, it would be important to know what is the Insured Declared Value (IDV) the OP has on his policy as this looks like a total loss insurance claim if payable.
The claim is launched. Inspection was done twice and they wanted an estimate before giving a go ahead to start the work. These guys dismantled the engine and other things before giving an estimate. So I'm not sure what is going to happen now. The claim is under process though. Car value on the insurance cover is 5+ lakhs.

Last edited by frontech : 1st July 2022 at 23:01. Reason: IDV
Old 1st July 2022, 22:41   #9
Team-BHP Support

Re: Drove my Civic through water, engine hydrolocked | 1.55 lakh estimate for engine overhaul & repa

Quote:
The claim is under process though.
Its normal to take an initial approval, then open and provide a detailed estimate. Then final approval to go ahead with work will happen. Also estimate is very reasonable for this damage.

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st July 2022 at 22:42.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 09:35   #10
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Hi all,

The recent heavy rains in Bangalore and poor condition of the roads and the drainage resulted in my Honda Civic sucking up water. A bus moving through the road, created a mini wave and my car managed to suck up water through the intake. Ofcourse, it stalled after that. Water got into the cabin.

This is a 2008 model and now I'm given an estimate of 1.55 lakh for repairs. With 50k for the engine overhauling itself. The car has done 80k+ kms so far. I have insurance that does cover natural calamity including flooding. I think they provide 50% coverage for parts provided there is a GST bill. I know for sure there will be no GST bill for engine overhauling and maybe many others as well (perhaps most items under Machine room and outside works in the bill below).

Alternator is jammed, so is the starter motor. I have included some pictures to show you the state of the engine and the clutch plate. Clutch plate is actually new and hasn't done even 3k kms.

Looking for some expert opinion on these matters:
1. How reasonable is the estimate?
2. Engine overhaul or find an engine from a scrapped or totaled vehicle?
3. Insurance has sent a long questionnaire, knowing how insurance companies are and trying every reason to reject. Could someone PM and assist me how to approach filling the questionnaire?
4. I feel the cost to fix jammed alternator, AC compressor is on the high side.
5. Any suggestions on which garage in Bangalore would do a good job at a reasonable price?
6. Any contacts in Bangalore that does engine overhaul or will be able to provide an engine from a scrapped car?

If the insurance claim doesn't sufficiently cover the repair costs, and you want to still repair and use the car, I would recommend you check out Automech in Koramangala. It's a small FNG that does a pretty good job. I have been using then for my XUV 500 for many years now; he's reliable and cost wise very reasonable.
Old 3rd July 2022, 14:39   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, forgot to include the details of the estimate in the first post.
If your engine seized up I dont see any estimate for Valves or piston or rings etc which are the usual victims of seizure. May I ask what was the diagnostics for the seizure like broken cam, bent/broken valves, bent/broken piston, Crank failure? Or simple ingress of water and choking the engine?

If your Engine has choked and hasn't damaged the above mentioned parts, then I think you just need to get Head of the engine resurfaced and pistons cleaned and injectors serviced, engine flushed with oil and then try starting the car, then check the electricals and it should be good again.

Nehow The estimate seems a bit high and vague. I just feel after looking at the labor Machine room and Outside work charges that your engine simply choked on water and the sensors killed the engine. and also was your power steering pump damaged?

Honda power steering pumps are quite durable and hard to fix, until unless there was ingress of water in it through the power steering rack, I wouldn't touch it. And also was your radiator damaged? I see alot of charges for hose pipes and coolant related stuff which i think you are getting replaced due to aging and not damage.

And honest opinion i doubt insurance is going to be a smooth sail in your claim as you were driving through a flooded road. I suggest immediately take a legal opinion and keep a storyline which will be upheld in court.

Last edited by Kanboy : 3rd July 2022 at 14:41.
Kanboy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 23:19   #12
BHPian

Quote:

I had an Alto which was submerged in floods once. We had purchased it for 3.4 lacs and repair cost was 98000/-. We got an insurance claim of 95000/-. However the car kept throwing some issues or the other every few months. It was a car which was used only very little, so we kept it and fixed it. We had it for 11 years but it kept throwing up some issues or the other especially the AC which was never the same again.
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 23:23   #13
BHPian

Which FNG in Bangalore are you getting it done? I suggest you can get the lathe work done in Siddiah Road. Before that check for damages in pistons , connecting rods, cylinder walls. If any such visible damage only then go for overhaul. It appears that you only need some polishing of cylinder walls and head resurfacing and try starting it and subsequently get it scanned for accurate diagnostics of any other failed parts.
Old 4th July 2022, 07:39   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

Ofcourse, it stalled after that. Water got into the cabin.
Did you crank the car after it stalled ?

If so, the claim process will get more complicated

Best course seems to repair and sell it off
Old 4th July 2022, 07:50   #15
BHPian

I had a flood take a big toll on my fiesta in 2015 (Chennai floods). Ford repaired it and I continued using it till 2017 when I changed to a Creta. As others have said, it was never the same again inspite of getting it repaired. So claim insurance and buy another car (new or used)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks