Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2022, 09:39   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Is the 6-month service required for a sparsely used car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver52001 View Post
Should I get it serviced before the trip even though it would have run 1,000 km less than what is ideal for the service? Please suggest.
If you have extended warranty, then get it serviced at least 10 days before the trip, and use it before heading out.

If no extended warranty, then you should be fine to head out and get it serviced after your return.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 10:24   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Ignis (bought in February 2020) has run 28,500 km and the third-year service is due February end 2023. The manual says the annual service is on completion of third year or 30,000 km, whichever happens first. Now, I have a Delhi to McLeod Ganj trip in January first week. Am unable to decide whether to give for service before or after the trip. By December my running could add another 500 km. Which leaves 1,000 km before service is due. But the trip may turn out to be longer than 1,000 km. Should I get it serviced before the trip even though it would have run 1,000 km less than what is ideal for the service? Please suggest.

I never follow the number of kms interval. I only follow the time based interval. Irrespective of whether the vehicle is used or not or whether it runs very little in any given year, all fluids and lubricants etc are subject to age related degradation.

I am unable to do much mileage every year anyway because of lack of time and there are several cars to do justice to. Hence I prefer to service the vehicles and change all the fluids etc in a timely manner, well ahead of the manufacturer’s recommended intervals even. I prefer to follow a proactive, preventive, preemptive maintenance schedule.

If I were you, especially since there is a road trip coming up, I would definitely 100% perform the servicing and change all the oils and fluids and check the brake pads and battery and lights and all the rest of it.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 10:45   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By December my running could add another 500 km. Which leaves 1,000 km before service is due. But the trip may turn out to be longer than 1,000 km. Should I get it serviced before the trip even though it would have run 1,000 km less than what is ideal for the service? Please suggest.
How much more km will the trip add? Even if it adds an extra 1000 km, it doesn't matter because an Ignis will definitely be running on synthetic oil. The service can be done after the trip.

Provided there is no warranty or extended warranty running on the car. In that case, it will be better to complete the service before heading out.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 11:36   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconRed View Post
Daily Drive: ~10 KM (car is primarily used by my wife to travel to the workplace)
How much time does it take to traverse this distance? If it is stop and go traffic, the engine is exposed to much more wear as compared to for example if you drove it 10km on a highway.

Oil change is cheap. Engine and engine component replacements are expensive. The call is yours to take depending on the way the car is used.
Newtown is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 12:35   #35
BHPian

After going through the recommendations of this august committee 😁 I have decided to get it serviced 10 days before the trip as suggested by @condor and some other members. By then I'm guessing it would have run 29,000 km. The car has extended warranty. @Newtown It may have some stop and go in towns but for the most part will be highway driving. @Gansan It should add about 1,200-1,300 km on this trip.
driver52001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 10:46   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car has extended warranty.
Then the service should be completed within the km/months. Else it will give a loophole for the dealer/company to wriggle out of any engine related warranty claims later on, should one occur. Why take a chance?
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 11:01   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After going through the recommendations of this august committee 😁 I have decided to get it serviced 10 days before the trip as suggested by @condor and some other members. By then I'm guessing it would have run 29,000 km. The car has extended warranty. @Newtown It may have some stop and go in towns but for the most part will be highway driving. @Gansan It should add about 1,200-1,300 km on this trip.
Since you have extended warranty, get the service done. The company is stricter for warranty claims made under extended warranty and they can use the missed service deadline as an excuse to deny warranty claim.

I had taken extended warranty on my Tiago. Around 1 month before the expiry of warranty, I had to make a claim for steering related issues. Tata motors took almost 2 weeks to verify my service history and approve the replacement under warranty. The SA informed me that since I had done all the service on time over the past 4 years, TML approved the claim. Even if one of the services was skipped or overdue then they would have rejected my claim. I saved almost 50K rupees on the part since it was replaced under extended warranty.
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks