Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2022, 13:34   #16
BHPian

Re: Is the 6-month service required for a sparsely used car?

Absolutely not required to service every 6 months! Always stick to OEM specs when it comes to maintenance. I wouldn't exceed 18 months threshold even if it is sparingly used. Lot of plastic and rubber components deteriorate over time, especially if used sparingly. Stick to 12-16 month service regiment for optimum performance of the car!
kiredd1005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 13:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Get it serviced at the recommended intervals or you may void the warranty, that's what I did with my Honda City during Covid period.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 14:06   #18
BHPian

Just follow owners manual which should be 10k/1 yr . It is enough for modern cars. I own honda ivtec arrow shot and 6 months/5000 kms is given as per manual but I have been following about 8-10 months/7500 kms interval atleast as I feel it is ok for even ivtec and smaller intervals helps dealers to generate additional revenues.
sheelRP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 14:50   #19
BHPian

Recently gave my wife's grand i10 AT, for a fourth year/40,000 km service. For the 30,000 km service, the ASS had swindled off ₹ 11000 from her, with many complaints left unresolved.

For the 40,000 km service, the car was given to the same ASS, as she appreciates the pick-up & drop services offered by the centre! However, this time I made her instruct them to do only an engine oil + the necessary filter changings & not to fiddle with the transmission or alignments or anything else and no topping up of any fluids.

The additional recommendations from the ASS & my responses (via-wife) went like this:

Ac cleaning; declined
Brake cleaning; declined
Suspension lubrication; declined
Starter motor brush change; declined
Steering gear box oil leak to be attended; declined
(I don't know what the steering gear box is, I guess it would be the steering rack. Declined it, as there were no visible leaks observed before giving the car for service)
Tyre changing & balancing/alignment; declined
(Tyres are indeed due for a change, but declined the service center offer, as they couldn't provide a manufacturing week/year)

Engine drive belt change; got it done
Rust welding on the silencer; got it done
(Wonder, why they didn't recommend changing the whole thing. That being said, I have to check whether the cat-con is still in place)

It still has a misbehaving stereo and an erratic lock/unlock blinker light indication, both of which remains incurable by the ASS.

Not sure whether I did the right thing by declining many of their suggestions, that too at the wrath of my better half! I hope that the car doesn't get stranded anywhere and I am blamed for that. But, my mistrust in Hyundai products & services are growing by the day.
crdi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 16:23   #20
BHPian

Even Toyota Crysta has a service interval of 5 years/6 months. Thinking of skipping this as no major works happen in 6 month service. Oil change etc is only after 10000 km/12 months.

Any advice?
smasher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 16:57   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
Recently gave my wife's grand i10 AT, for a fourth year/40,000 km service. For the 30,000 km service, the ASS had swindled off ₹ 11000 from her, with many complaints left unresolved.
Holy Moly...

The service center executive are quiet smart when they see a newbie like me ... They will quote so many add-ons services and push to get one or other.

During my second service I was pushed to get wheel balancing done even though my car has done only around 1700KM.
Old 11th June 2022, 17:29   #22
Team-BHP Support

Depends on what the 6 month interval is for.

Our Tiago has six month and yearly service intervals, but the six-monthly service is a just routine check up, nothing get replaced. It is the yearly service that entails fluid / parts replacements. When the SA called to get the car in for servicing at the 3.5 years mark, I categorically asked if not doing this service would void warranty, and he said no. Went in after a year and not a single question asked about having skipped the "precautionary" six month servicing.

If your car has fluid replacements every six months, then the ASC / company can trick you by claiming not doing that service will void warranty.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 18:14   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconRed View Post
I own a 2019 Hyundai elite i20.

Recently I'm being chased up by the Hyundai dealers to get the car serviced for a 6-month service.

Last service: 30-Oct-2021
KM's driven since last service: ~2500 KM
Daily Drive: ~10 KM (car is primarily used by my wife to travel to the workplace)

The only issue I'm facing right now with my car is its front parking lights are not working.

As I was also planning to get an underbody coating during the next service.

Now if I decide to send my car for a 6-month service to get this fixed I'm sure the service center is going to push so many extra addons like AC disinfectant, wheel balancing, etc

Questions:
1. Is a 6-month service required/mandatory? If yes, then what extra service should I opt for? (to avoid getting scammed)
2. As my car is still under warranty, should I get the front parking lights fixed outside the ASS?
3. Is underbody coating really required for a city like Hyderabad? (I'm under the assumption it is a must for coastal areas)
--Q1--
Check the owner's manual and follow the schedule mentioned in the booklet.

--Q2--
If the car is still under warranty, then prefer the authorized service center route. If they refuse to honor it under warranty, then --- if I were in your position --- I'd get the rejection in writing along with the reason on my email. Then, I'd get it fixed done from the outside. It's a simple bulb swap. Nothing critical. However, I'd if I have only limited days left in my warranty, then I'd wait it out to fix it by an independent car electrician.

--Q3--
The underbody coating is nothing but black paint. I got 3M coating from the dealer in 2014 and I know it's just black paint. Better to get the underbody painted from an outside dent/repair shop. Otherwise, I don't see it as a must-have. I didn't get it for my Nano and never even felt the need to get the 6-month touchups done for my Beat. Although I live in dry Rajasthan. So, you will have to take a call on this if you live in a humid region.
MaheshY1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 08:57   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Looking at the thread title I thought its another Honda victim. Yes we pre-BS6 Jazz owners have a 6 month service schedule !
+1. Mine is a pre worshipped 2014 Honda city V idtec and my usage isn’t much ( around 5-10 k per annum and also depends on situational driving ). The limit showroom recommends is 10k / 6 months. Sometimes my car runs only 2500 km in 6 months. When I tell this; the administrator lady pushes like mine is the only car left in the world which I must get serviced the next moment of her call. Also I get atleast 2-3 calls from different service centers.

I strictly say no since there is no point wasting money on pretty unused oil and hampering the already disturbed environment.

I will suggest you to go as per the manual and decide.

Cheers.
Guru_Shikhar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 20:39   #25

My Hyundai service advisor always used to pester me for a 6 month service schedule. I told him that I will follow the manufacturer recommendation, that's when he sent me this part of the Hyundai service manual.

As per this, most metro city conditions will classify under Severe usage conditions in which Hyundai recommends a 5k / 6 month service schedule.
Attached Thumbnails
Is the 6-month service required for a sparsely used car?-screenshot-20220612-8.35.20-pm.png  

Is the 6-month service required for a sparsely used car?-screenshot-20220612-8.30.25-pm.png  

micky is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 13:30   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky View Post
As per this, most metro city conditions will classify under Severe usage conditions in which Hyundai recommends a 5k / 6 month service schedule.
Yes, I read the manual and it says:"Engine oil and engine oil filter : Every 5,000 km (3,000 miles) or 6 months" for Diesel engine and 1.0 T-GDi engines.

"Every 7,500km (5,000miles) or 6 months" for Advanced Kappa G1.2

I wonder what would the fleet operators and high mileage cars do? Do they get the service done every 5000km? That could be every other month?

User Manual link is here

Last edited by Romins : 18th June 2022 at 13:31. Reason: Added user manual link
Romins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 13:48   #27
BHPian

Post Sales Service and Spares are the only way to make money for car companies and service centers

More visits every 3-6 months intervals more money earned

Bangalore water service is stopped only dry service so no point in wasting time energy and money without oil-fluid changes

Always ask before service what is to be done as for low running cars hardly any wear and tear of parts only fluid changes

New in warranty car owners be careful as company may remove the warranty if free services are not done in time while out of warranty cars no worries yearly service or when any issues arise then it is fine
amarprusty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 18:54   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky View Post
I drive a i10 NIOS in Chennai(one of the more traffic prone cities of India especially recently due to metro works) with a 1.2 kappa and it has an engine oil replacement of 1year/10,000km whichever is earlier and the oil too that they use is not of that great quality(a mineral oil that costed 1.5k - 3.5l whereas my motorcycle runs on motul 7100 that costs 1.3k for 1.7l).

Maintenance manual for I10 NIOS[ (You can refer to this if your engine is a 1.2 NA KAPPA)

Apart from that, under general servicing, they clean the car thoroughly, inspect and lube the pedals and other moving parts and replace any defective/due parts.

Since you have driven for only 2500kms & 6 months, unless if you're feeling something off with anything or the engine oil quality/quantity has detoriated by loooking into the dipper stick, I'd suggest you to follow what's in the manual.

Last edited by shravansp24 : 22nd June 2022 at 18:55.
shravansp24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 23:17   #29
BHPian

My Ignis (bought in February 2020) has run 28,500 km and the third-year service is due February end 2023. The manual says the annual service is on completion of third year or 30,000 km, whichever happens first. Now, I have a Delhi to McLeod Ganj trip in January first week. Am unable to decide whether to give for service before or after the trip. By December my running could add another 500 km. Which leaves 1,000 km before service is due. But the trip may turn out to be longer than 1,000 km. Should I get it serviced before the trip even though it would have run 1,000 km less than what is ideal for the service? Please suggest.
driver52001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 09:19   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver52001 View Post
Should I get it serviced before the trip even though it would have run 1,000 km less than what is ideal for the service?
Don't worry about it. Unless there is something wrong with the car that you want the service station people to check, you can safely go enjoy your trip and get it serviced when you return.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks