Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2023, 17:53   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata Hexa XTA - Part failures & upkeep costs piling up after warranty expired. EDIT: Issues resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun560061 View Post
Please let me know the cost and time involved to get the ATF replaced..
I don’t recall the exact costs, will have to check my record for that. But it was in 4 figures, not in 5, for the entire thing. Oil + labour. Work was done at Worlds of Service, Noida. It took a couple of days.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 18:02   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata Hexa XTA - Part failures & upkeep costs piling up after warranty expired. EDIT: Issues resolved

Update: 1,40,000km up!

My Hexa has crossed the 140k km mark, and I am pleased to report that the last 10,000km have been trouble free. Running has also picked up, these were clocked in a little over 3 months. Seems I am past the phase of parts ageing and needing replacement. The car has been munching miles as well as ever, and I am falling in love with the big girl all over again!

The build quality of Hexa never ceases to amaze me. 140k kms clocked, and not a rattle or squeak or squeak from anywhere. All cabin plastics and trims are as good as they were when new. That, coupled with the superb suspension means I remain unaffected by monsoon ravaged Faridabad roads.

The 140k km service was done recently, again at Worlds of Service. It was just basic oil and filter change, no other significant work was required. The Variocor 400 engine is a beast, the car has no issues keeping up with modern turbo petrols on highways and expressways. And hardly anything can keep up if the road surface is less than perfect. Always makes my chuckle, watching Fortuner people slow down and grimace on potholes.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 12th July 2023 at 18:13.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 19:02   #33
Senior - BHPian

Your Hexa reminded me of Mod Tanveer tsk1979 safari thread.

Link (Safari EX 4x4 120,000 km update) (Pat to self, good memory from 2008!)

Once a Tata, Always a Tata. Your experience makes you feel like a Range Rover owner at 1/5th of the price. Very nice comfortable interior to sit and spend time in Garages.

Hexa being the 1st of many things at TATA house, you were brave to buy one. It is a very safe and comfortable truck no doubt, but looks like the price to maintain one is a bit steeper in comparison to Toyotas.

Last edited by svsantosh : 12th July 2023 at 19:04.
Old 13th July 2023, 04:37   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Your Hexa reminded me of Mod Tanveer tsk1979 safari thread.

Link (Safari EX 4x4 120,000 km update) (Pat to self, good memory from 2008!)

Once a Tata, Always a Tata. Your experience makes you feel like a Range Rover owner at 1/5th of the price. Very nice comfortable interior to sit and spend time in Garages.

Hexa being the 1st of many things at TATA house, you were brave to buy one. It is a very safe and comfortable truck no doubt, but looks like the price to maintain one is a bit steeper in comparison to Toyotas.
Tanveer’s legendary Dicor had just about everything replaced. I’ve only had to deal with replacement of parts that are subject to wear and tear. That too only after 1lakh km of 100% reliable service. Granted, they could have lasted longer still.

In hindsight, Tata’s service schedule should have proactively clubbed a lot of things into a single major service at the 100k km mark. Stuff like mounts, alternator bearing, prop shaft crosses and that damned ATF replacement. All along with the timing belt change. Proactive and preventive, it would have saved a lot of effort, heartache and downtime. These are all wear and tear parts, after all. The approximate life of everything should have been known to the technical teams, just about everything mechanical was already time tested and shared with Storme and Aria.

More importantly, the nincompoops who decided that the gearbox was “sealed for life” and that ATF was “factory filled for lifetime” deserve to be fired and then shot. Nobody has done more disservice to this fine vehicle and it’s owners.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 13th July 2023 at 04:40.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 21:43   #35
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa XTA - Part failures & upkeep costs piling up after warranty expired. EDIT: Issues reso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Update: 1,40,000km up!

My Hexa has crossed the 140k km mark, and I am pleased to report that the last 10,000km have been trouble free. The car has been munching miles as well as ever, and I am falling in love with the big girl all over again!

Hi Shreyans_Jain!

Great to hear that you are having fun again with your Hexa. She is indeed a keeper. Your post gives a lot of confidence to folks like me who are planning to keep it for as long as the rules permit. Will keep an eye on the wear and tear issues you have pointed out and replace things proactively.

Unfortunately, I have only driven a mere 600 kms on Hexa in last three months, but she still brings me a smile everytime I drive it. Guess the biggest enemies of HEXA are TASS themselves.

Happy driving!
Prashant
Prashant1286 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed