Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2022, 18:26   #1

Finding the Tata Nexon's suspension to be too firm & bumpy | How to improve ride quality?

Hi friends!
I recently bought a second hand nexon, it is just 7 months old and 9 thousand kms on odo. I also own a Renault Kiger(2021), Renault Lodgy (2016), Hyundai i10(2011).
Having driven the lodgy for 6 years, I am used to softer suspension setup and I find nexon's suspension very stiff and jerky. Can someone suggest me measures to improve ride quality of nexon?
Akhilendra Jain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 00:49   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Finding the Tata Nexon's suspension to be too firm & bumpy | How to improve ride quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilendra Jain View Post
Hi friends!
I recently bought a second hand nexon, it is just 7 months old and 9 thousand kms on odo. I also own a Renault Kiger(2021), Renault Lodgy (2016), Hyundai i10(2011).
Having driven the lodgy for 6 years, I am used to softer suspension setup and I find nexon's suspension very stiff and jerky. Can someone suggest me measures to improve ride quality of nexon?
Hi Akhilendra Jain,

I dont think fiddling with the stock suspension in a people mover would be a good idea.

However, I would advise you to may be try upsize tyres with more rubber side wall and may be get better seats stitched with proper support.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 05:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Finding the Tata Nexon's suspension to be too firm & bumpy | How to improve ride quality?

Nexon is tyre pressure sensitive. Please maintain 29 psi and see if there is any difference (it has to exact under-30 psi for XZ+)
Quote:
I am used to softer suspension setup and I find nexon's suspension very stiff and jerky. Can someone suggest me measures to improve ride quality of nexon?
Sebring is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 05:31   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Hi friends!
I am just curious to know how's its suspension when compared it with Renault Kiger? I used to own Kiger and it's suspension I felt stiff too when compared with Renault Duster.
SYSTEMIZED is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 07:02   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Nexon has a very well sorted suspension. You need to get your tire pressures right. Keep all four at 30 psi and see the difference. You can even consider dropping a couple of psi more for an even softer edge. Mind you, this is only for local urban usage. For highway driving, pressures must be increased to the manufacturer recommended levels.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 09:58   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYSTEMIZED View Post
I am just curious to know how's its suspension when compared it with Renault Kiger? I used to own Kiger and it's suspension I felt stiff too when compared with Renault Duster.
I find kiger's suspension better than nexon, it takes small potholes and undulations quite well. However, it is nowhere close to duster. Duster just glides over baddest of roads.
Akhilendra Jain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 10:07   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I find kiger's suspension better than nexon, it takes small potholes and undulations quite well. However, it is nowhere close to duster. Duster just glides over baddest of roads.
There is no point comparing the ride quality with Duster, whose suspension setup remains unmatched till date. Even today, there is no car under 30L which can dismiss all kinds of bad roads with that kind of authority.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 10:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Manufacturer recommended tyre pressure is 30 psi (XZ+), for all conditions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Mind you, this is only for local urban usage. For highway driving, pressures must be increased to the manufacturer recommended levels.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 11:22   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Finding the Tata Nexon's suspension to be too firm & bumpy | How to improve ride quality?

You're coming from a Lodgy which has amongst the most comfortable suspensions <50 lakhs. Here's what you can do:

- Drop the tyre PSI to 28-29, but just for the city. For highway / high speed runs, push it back up.

- Move to comfort-oriented tyres.

- What wheel size are you running? If R16, consider a drop to R15. Ensure there is clearance for the brakes. I hope the previous owner hasn't upsized to R17 or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Nexon has a very well sorted suspension.
Sorted in terms of road manners, yes, but there is no doubt on its firmness. The bumps & potholes around Bandra seriously bothered me in the Nexon.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 14:19   #10
BHPian

Re: Finding the Tata Nexon's suspension to be too firm & bumpy | How to improve ride quality?

Quote:
Hi friends!
Hi there!!
I had a similar story with my MSIL Brezza, the ride in city speeds is stiff and jerky for sure. To makes things worse, my little daughter has motion sickness. I tried to use Nitrogen in my tyres instead of air, trust me the jerkiness has come down by 30-40% in the city Again, as others in the forum have suggested, you can try soft compound tyres or tyres with larger side wall. Even in highways, my car rides like a charm (as it used in normal air too ).

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th May 2022 at 14:43. Reason: Minor formatting change :)
Quicksilver85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 16:49   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Hi friends!
Having come from a background of French cars and older Hyundais, you might find all other crossovers to be stiff in low speed ride. Crossovers inherently have a stiffer ride due to that added GC. You have to get adjusted to this new behaviour, I guess.

However, my 2 cents:

1. The most cost effective solution is to keep the tyre pressure a little low. Might effect the acceleration a bit, but that should not be your concern, right?

2. Tackling small imperfections at a little higher speed may smoothen out some. Does not work for bigger ones.

Other solutions like changing rims, tyres etc will involve costs. Also, I'd think twice before doing any tweaking with the suspension setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYSTEMIZED View Post
You may find all other cars in these segments to be stiff at low speeds after getting used to suspension of the Duster.
BhaskarG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 16:50   #12
BHPian

I see many suggestions regarding upsizing and rightly so but upsizing will cause increased wear to parts. However, just changing the tyre brand makes a huge difference. Did you already mention which tyre brand you are using? This softness though is generally expected out of French cars. I too found this stiffness incredibly uncomfortable when I changed my Renault Logan for a VW Polo but learnt to live with it.

I would suggest upgrading to a soft compound tyre if you are willing to compromise a bit with the occasional punctures. Michellins are probably the best bet in this regard. This is probably the most 'OEM' option to get a more plush ride without making any alterations to the manufacturer's setup.

Hope this helps!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 19:03   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Having driven the lodgy for 6 years,...
The minute you mentioned Lodgy , you are already spoilt with a need for a superior suspension and its going to be a bit difficult to make truce with most other cars.
Its got a pinch of the carpet ride DNA from the duster and still stands to be one of the best highway cruisers out there!

Having said that , I believe the following could make a little difference
  • Downsize your tyre to a size with more sidewall width.
  • Use a soft compound tyre.
  • Sometimes , a new tyre in itself will make a lot of difference.

Cheers!

Last edited by r24x7 : 24th May 2022 at 19:04. Reason: Typo
r24x7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 19:07   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
I see many suggestions regarding upsizing and rightly so but upsizing will cause increased wear to parts. However, just changing the tyre brand makes a huge difference. Did you already mention which tyre brand you are using? This softness though is generally expected out of French cars. I too found this stiffness incredibly uncomfortable when I changed my Renault Logan for a VW Polo but learnt to live with it.

I would suggest upgrading to a soft compound tyre if you are willing to compromise a bit with the occasional punctures. Michellins are probably the best bet in this regard. This is probably the most 'OEM' option to get a more plush ride without making any alterations to the manufacturer's setup.

Hope this helps!
I have used 2 sets of Yokohama earth1 on my lodgy and I am pretty impressed by them! Lets see if that helps on nexon too!
Akhilendra Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 22:50   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Drop the tyre PSI to 28-29, but just for the city. For highway / high speed runs, push it back up.
What is the long term impact on tyres after running on less than recommended tyre pressure? Or is it perfectly fine, except for the drop in the kmpl? I keep my Nexon's tyres at 29 but have always wondered whether it would be good for the tyres in the long run.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks