Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2022, 19:17   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

As of today, what's broken / not working in your car?

Saw a fun discussion on Jalopnik recently and thought it'll be a great read here.

2012 Nissan Sunny @ 61000 km: Main issue is it doesn't start on the first crank. Requires a L-O-N-G crank if it works at all. However, switch it off, then restart, and the engine fires up quickly. Weird. It's the beater so I don't get small stuff fixed until the annual service visit. As long as the beater runs, that's enough for me. Will fix at next service visit.

2021 Skoda Superb @ 6000 km: Nothing. Everything is perfect.

1997 Mahindra Classic @ 200,000 km: Wipers are running too slow (like crawling across the windscreen), the famous Jeep death wobble has returned (wild steering movement at speed), passenger seatbelt broken. Will fix in June-July (open Jeep so limited usage in monsoon anyway).

2013 BMW 530d @ 50,000 km: Nothing. 9 years up and top-class reliability + build.

NOTE: If your car has zero issues, please don't post and clutter up this thread. Post only if you have vehicles with something broken. Thanks!

Last edited by GTO : 16th May 2022 at 07:20. Reason: Adding km to each car
GTO is offline   (61) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 19:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: As of today, what's broken / not working in your car?

BMW X1 - Nothing

Mini Cooper - Driver side window (making noise). Parts have come and should be fixed this week.

Nexon EV - Left Rear Door beading not fitting properly.
- Rear Seat not locking in position.
Awaiting parts

Ship - Liners of all 6 cylinders of the engine need replacement.
pedrolourenco is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 19:36   #3
BHPian

Lexus ES300h: In the shop since 1 month due to multiple MID errors/not starting on first try intermittently. Waiting for wiring harness from Japan.
VW Tiguan Allspace: DSG/Drivetrain fault. Changing gearboxes like annual oil change. Waiting for 3rd gearbox to come from Germany.
Dhruv29 is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 19:45   #4
BHPian

A. Mercedes C-class. (8 years, 27k on the odo)

-ABS sensor failed
-Tyres due for replacement
-Engine mounts are worn out
-Needs a new battery
-Spark plugs need to be replaced
-Wiper blades need to be replaced
-Front bumper needs to be repainted
-Needs new Auto Transmission fluid

B. Ford Ikon: (22 years, 70k on the odo)

- Radiator needs to be serviced
-AC cooling coil is leaking
-Front strut mounts worn out
-Battery is 5 years old now
-Instrument cluster bulb fused

C. Maruti Esteem: (27 years, 21k on the odo)

-Rear brake shoes
-Wheel bearings
-Strut mounts worn out
-Slight leak from the exhaust
-Needs new spark plugs
-Door pads need new trim

D. Maruti Omni: (6 years, 2 lakh on the odo)
-It is being (ab)used like a typical van. All parts other than the horn make noise.

E. Tata Estate: (29 years, 85k on the odo)

-Engine seized
-Suspension gone completely
-Wires and interiors chewed by rats
-Tyres, brakes, bearings, bushes, bellows and pipes, all need to be replaced
-The entire body has been consumed by rust

F. 2021 Maruti Ertiga: (7 months, 12k on the odo)

-Bonnet release lever broken
- Front passenger side inside door handle broken
-Accidental damage on the front door and fender

The Merc and Ertiga are currently at their respective workshops getting fixed. Once they are back, the Ikon and Esteem will be sorted and the Omni will go in for an overhaul. The Tata Estate will probably have to wait another year.

Last edited by Sanidhya mukund : 15th May 2022 at 19:53.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 19:48   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
--
NOTE: If your car has zero issues, please don't post and clutter up this thread. Post only if you have vehicles with something broken.--!
It would be great if the respective owners report the Kms done and age of the car.
volkman10 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 19:51   #6
BHPian

2014 Fluidic Verna: The ac vent sliders are broken. I asked once if they can be replaced but the SA said the entire Vent console will have to be hence didn't bother.

Otherwise the seat covers are worn and there are are a couple of dents and scratches that need to be tinkered.

Mechanically there is absolutely nothing wrong with the car although given am nearing the 100k mark the clutch and suspension might need overhauls.
anandhsub is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 20:10   #7
Team-BHP Support

2014 Hyundai Xcent - 30k km done - What is currently not working - well, car has been at Hyundai authorized service for 44 days now! So the whole car!

Going into the details - the supposed-to-be-reliable TC automatic transmission isn't working and identified to be an ECM issue. Catcon isn't working because it crumbled up inside like cookies.

Previous major issues include a broken crankshaft assembly bolt that resulted in the entire belt assembly falling off from the car, a couple of ABS sensors gone wrong, a/c that barely works in the summer etc.

2022 Jeep Compass - 4k km done - Too new to comment.

2012 Fiat Punto (sold last month) - 207k km done - What was not working at the time of sale? The stock ICE (Microsoft Blue&Me) gave up long back and had to be upgraded. Boot struts had lost tension and could not hold the boot up in place when opened - couldn't change it before the sale. Everything else was almost routine and changed as per the age and usage of the car.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th May 2022 at 20:17.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 20:13   #8
BHPian

Right Side-View mirror of Optra Magnum. I am having a hard time finding the replacement.
attinder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 20:22   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

2015 Ford Fiesta 85K AC Condensor is leaking and needs replacing.
2002 Jaguar XJR 180K sagging headliner, needs replacing
1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ Sport 200K, leak in radiator, needs replacing, All steering knuckles need replacing, U joint in both front axles need replacing, front and rear crankshaft seal are leaking, need replacing, torsion damper needs replacing.

Both my 1982 Mercedes W123 and 1986 Alfa Romeo Spider are currently without any major issues. Fingers crossed!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 20:41   #10
BHPian

2011 Corolla Altis CVT: 1,35,000 KMS. Engine Knocking/Choking when driven in highways in hottest summer months. System diagnosis at various centres doesn’t throw up errors. Managing with STP octane boosters and now with XP-100.
CArspeed is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 20:45   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Saw a fun discussion on Jalopnik recently
Fourteen year old Grand Vitara - Aftermarket Axxess ASWC-1 steering control interface mated to a Kenwood DDX415 Head Unit : The volume up button stops working sometimes. Keep pressing the volume up when this happens and the audio source changes

Adding a few weird situations that I faced, but sorted out.

2013 Suzuki Access - Air-Fuel screw fine tip broke when the screw was being tightened by an enthusiastic mechanic. This resulted in the A/F port getting blocked by the broken tip and the scooter jerking violently when accelerating. Changed the carb to a Honda Eterno carb and got rid of this design issue permanently

Earlier vehicles

1993 Premier Padmini in the year 1998

1. the starter solenoid got stuck once causing the starter to keep spinning. Disconnected the battery negative immediately and saved the starter from burning out

Name:  Padmini_StarterSolenoid.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  56.8 KB

2. Carb inlet and barrel had got blocked, resulting in the engine dying in traffic. I think this was on a Sunday evening. Had to clean this myself on the road in full public view with my wife and kidoo sitting inside the car

3. Ran the car using petrol from a 5 liter fuel can strapped in the passenger footwell when the fuel tank was being dried out after flood damage

1995 Esteem in the year 2004

1. Used Xtra premium fuel in an already "carbonised" engine and after a few months, one plug stopped firing just as I entered my workplace parking. Opened the plug in the office parking later in the evening and found some carbon lodged in the spark plug gap. Stopped using premium fuel thereafter.

Last edited by vigsom : 15th May 2022 at 21:01.
vigsom is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 20:57   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

2012 Chevrolet Spark

Odometer: 20,200 km

- Directional controls for the air conditioning don't work. The cable that connects the knob to the HVAC console which in turn controls a slider that changes the flow of air from face to feet to windshield etc. has snapped. Haven't bothered fixing it. Chevrolet sells the entire console for 5500

- Headlamp wiring harness (relay kit I installed) has melted connectors due to sub-par quality. Need to change it ASAP

- Headlamp stalk has a weird issue where both the low and high beams tend to come on due to a short in the switch when you nudge it very lightly.

- Gear selector lever has play due to worn selector cables. Can be remedied for 1500 bucks.

- Fuel Pump is slightly weak. As a result, if the fuel level drops to 5-6L or lower, the car has a tendency to jerk under full throttle or is sometimes hesitant to start.

All in all, not bad for a car that is nearing the 10 year mark. Electrical issues have been more common than mechanical ones.

2014 Volkswagen Jetta TDI

Odometer: 97,800 km

- Rear AC vents are broken. You can't make out visually, but the louvres that are used to adjust the direction of air flow have snapped from the vents and come free because someone kicked them most probably

- The armrest tends to creak when extended all the way forward. Known issue.

No other issues. Most have been remedied by me. I will be replacing the clutch master cylinder as proactive maintenance in the next month.

2017 Renault Kwid

Odometer: 52,500 Km

- Front suspension needs an overhaul. Control arms, ARB bushes, link rods and I think even the dampers are shot

- Tappet cover has a very minor oil leak, which causes oil to seep onto the hot exhaust shield and burn

- Remote key has a broken unlock button. Need to unlock the car manually using the mechanical blade.

- Blower motor has been making noise on and off

- AMT gearbox clutch has reached the end of its life. Jerks while downshifting and letting off from a standstill

I am in no mood to retain the Kwid at all. It will most probably be sold off by next month or the month after. Will be replaced by an Ignis Delta AMT in all probability.

Last edited by vishy76 : 15th May 2022 at 20:59.
vishy76 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 21:59   #13
BHPian

2011 A-star AT
1. Silencer - made a fluttering noise (60k kms) only when accelerating, I suspected the AT, got the fluid drained and replaced, but it was finally found to be the silencer - replaced, and it runs as good as ever.

2. Petrol filler door - had to replace the cable to get it working

3. Caliper pins - I suspect they were exchanged for defective ones at the MASS. Made a rattling noise at high speed after a routine service. Replaced / lubricated.

2008 Aviator

1. One screw left out while putting back the front ABS body panel led to cracks. Ultimately had to replace the entire panel.

2. Bendix had to be replaced at 34k. Don't know if the HASS actually replaced it, because the problem is back.

3. (Engine hanger?) Bush had to be replaced. Cheap part, but affects handling.

4. Air filter - unavailability led to the HASS cheating me at every service. They blew some dust off the filter with compressed air so the scooter would run well for 2 days after the service. The engine would basically choke without air. Outside the HASS, a mechanic used 3rd party filters and the problem went away.
mvadg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 22:09   #14
BHPian

BMW X3 - Rear AC vent is broken because my 3 year old son thought it was a step to climb on to the hand rest. The car was bought pre-owned in 2020.

TVS Jupiter - Everything works. Just the seat cover looks worn out and the side panels have a lot of scratches because of Pune's notorious parking.
adi.mariner is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 22:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

2018 Innova Crysta G, AT at 70k km, Left front and rear mud flaps are gone. Map my india chip from the system is lost several months back. I don’t have any plans to get a new one.

Have to get a new set of mud flaps in the coming service schedule.

Last edited by jkrishnakj : 15th May 2022 at 22:59. Reason: Spelling
jkrishnakj is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks