Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2022, 15:36   #16
BHPian

Re: Too many rattles in my new Jeep Compass

Ok, the last thing I want to be is insensitive here but I just couldn't stop myself from sharing this -

Too many rattles in my new Jeep Compass-whatsapp-image-20220422-3.16.51-pm.jpeg
Source: Memes thread

Come back to the topic, our <1 year old Safari too has been infested by rattles from the boot door after an Innova rammed into the rear at a considerate speed few months ago (story for some other time, have been lazy to post the same on the accidents thread). Even though everything was brought back to normal, (Tata service experience too for some other time ) the service center gave up on this complaint and we've slowly started to live with it. My dad too is very particular about these sounds and I hence make it a point to turn the radio up or bring up a random topic to discuss upon every time the car is put to use. (Love is blind)
@og_adi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 22:36   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jangra View Post
Man I feel for you. Ratting is one thing that annoys me in those silent drives in the night coming from work. It annoys because once you hear it, you are constantly reminded and you’re looking for it.
You said it! This! Once it’s heard, it just can’t be unheard. Even on smooth drives and rattle-free days, I’m consumed thinking about when I’ll hear it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Very few cars remain rattle-free on our kind of roads
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Suggest you also find ways to tune out the rattles from your head, simply because your Compass is otherwise so good. There are worse problems a car can have .
Thank you, that’s a glass-half-full take on it. I alternate between this (especially after reading some other recent threads) and the glass-half-empty side where I think I should just cut my losses, sell the compass soon-ish and _upgrade_ to one of the premium german brands.

Have you heard rattling stories for Audi / BMW as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
NVH related complaints are usually dismissed by ASC due to the amount of work needed to isolate it and negligible billing towards fixing it. You need to get two technicians to sit in various seats and drive on different types of roads to find the noise and fix it.
Yes, the service centre folks really put effort into fixing them during my 2nd visit. Could you also recommend a comfort-oriented tyre that you mentioned in your post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
My two cents : Please check if your tyre pressure is what is recommended. Often a stiff tyre or heated tyre after spirited driving, with a way higher pressure, causes rattles.
I am obsessed with tyre pressure. I keep it pretty much as per-spec all the time. I’ve even witnessed drops in winters (especially on cold morning starts) and higher pressure in summers & long drives. Anecdotally speaking, I agree - tyre pressure does seem to help in reducing certain kinds of rattle noises.

Could you kindly recommend a good silicone spray you mentioned in your post? Thanks in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Fast forward a couple of days, a sudden brainwave hits me. I was wearing my sunglasses and there was no rattle. I put the sunglasses back (in the sunglass holder) and lo behold the rattle is back!
OMG! That’s so similar to my Ganesha Idol incident! The quest to find all such issues is endless though . I’ve found myself stopping at highways just to adjust certain things in hopes of eliminating the rattles. Terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_v3 View Post
A bit of electric tape wrapped around the area marked in black (door lock lever) might fix your door rattle issues is what i am guessing]
This is very useful. Thanks! I’ll try it right away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
This is very very concerning. The JC is one of the cars I shortlisted for purchase this year and I was of the understanding that MY Dec '21 Compasses had the rattling issues resolved,
Indeed! I would definitely not recommend JC. Please join the Jeep Group on Facebook if you haven’t already. There are tonnes of people who complain about the rattles.

There’s also another thread on team bhp discussing how there are very few “good” options between the 20-40L budget. That is very surprising and disappointing.

Please let me know which one you end up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelkumar View Post
This is a common attitude with the Jeep dealers. They surely are going to kill the brand with an otherwise great range of cars.
".
I was really hoping the trail hawk is much better in terms of the materials used & robustness of the vehicle.

Mod Note - Please quote only the relevant portion, and proofread before posting.

Last edited by Turbanator : 3rd August 2022 at 08:43. Reason: Trimmed quote, corrected spell and spacing.
yamoody is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 13:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

I can't believe that people on this forum are suggesting to live with the rattles. And that too on highly priced cars. No matter what, rattles on new cars are absolutely unacceptable.

My XUV3OO started giving some clicking (plastic to plastic) noise during the first few hundred kilometers of ownership. It literally drove me mad. I was very bothered and my wife was worried that I was not enjoying the new car. I decided to get it fixed and checked the rattles very closely. To my utter surprise, it was the sunglasses that were shaking in the goggle holder. Though the holder has velvet lining, the goggles were still making some noise.

Instance 2, this was more only on the bad patch with a speed of more than 30 kmph. Very strange because on bad roads, the rattle was not there. When I drove a little fast over a rough patch (not potholes), the rattle was clearly audible. I checked everything that I could and when I gave up called VVC Motors and fixed an appointment. The service manager was not convinced that there could be a rattle on a brand new car. He himself came with me on a test drive. I was able to recreate it within the first 1 km of drive. The small speed breakers (painted ones) were the perfect example to show the rattle.

He acknowledged it immediately and tried many methods to find the root cause. To my surprise it led to a faulty ORVM. The rattle was coming from the ORVM and when you hold it tightly, the sound wouldn't come. We got back to the workshop and I was told to wait for 30 mins. The mechanic opened the ORVM and double taped it with a 3M tape. We went out for a test drive and voila - the rattle was completely gone. Have to mention here that M&M has been doing a pretty decent job in managing these things with customers. I can even mention that they are a little better than Maruti (from my experience).

Since then, my car has been rattle free (literally no sound at all). I would request all the members who are facing these kind of problems on brand new cars to inspect and then report to the workshop. And all the 3OO owners who have auto dimming ORVMs, first get them inspected in case you are seeing any rattles. That is most likely the culprit.

Last edited by Raghu M : 31st May 2022 at 13:54.
Raghu M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 16:48   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamoody View Post
At about a week old, I heard rattling noises coming from the driver's side of the dashboard[/b]. I was on St Marks road in Bengaluru which is one of the smoothest roads we have (we don’t have many). The noise then went away after I parked, so I didn’t bother about it.
It came back again a few weeks later, and I took it to the service centre.

I faced similar problems with my Ecosport immediately after taking delivery in Oct 2019. There were rattles galore, and the car spent multiple days at the service centre to fix them. What I found out to my dismay, was these fixes were more based on the intuition of SA or a senior mechanic than any validated method. Most of the time they do not even do a test ride to validate them. The car always rode silently for the first few kilometres after service before rattling more and more in other parts.

The fix that worked for me is to get all the doors and the boot damped with the heaviest available damp sheet to the full extent(two metal layers, the plastic layer of each door). I believe close to 15 sheets(Dampmat plus, 2.5mm) were used for 4 doors and boots. Most of the rattles have disappeared, and the car is super silent now, especially in traffic . There is an occasional rattle from the dash, but I decided to make peace with it

I believe Jeep Compass is a rich cousin of Ecosport with similar diseases(), and the fixes could be similar as well if you want to try it out.

Mod Note - Please quote only relevant portion while replying, proofread before posting, and 2 smileys are allowed.

Last edited by Turbanator : 3rd August 2022 at 08:38. Reason: Excessive smileys, quote trimmed, spell errors.
karthikg87 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 20:16   #20
BHPian

My 2022 Compass has crossed 4000km and now has 5 separate places where it rattles - 3 are random and 2 are persistent

The random ones
  • Roof above/behind driver head
  • Centre console
  • Driver side AC vent
I have noticed that the first one is typically there when the car is out in hot sun for long time

And the two persistent ones
  • Driver side door
  • Passenger side door/B-Pillar

It is very disappointing to face these issues after paying a big amount for a supposed premium car and all the more as otherwise the car is fantastic.
timuseravan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 13:51   #21

My June 2022 Jeep Compass S MODEL diesel has done 4100 kms and has started making clicking noises from the centre console. It was smooth till 3800 kms and on a fine morning these noises started. I thought it would fade away, but it comes whenever the car goes on a rough patch. Otherwise the cabin is silent. I called the showroom and got a quick response from the guy and got the contact of the workshop manager who promptly called me the next day to have a look at the issue. My vehicle is in the workshop and let’s see what is the outcome. The technician who did the test drive said that THODA NOISE TO AAYEGA.

Will post the update.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 2nd August 2022 at 15:17. Reason: Removed extra spacing
Old 3rd August 2022, 07:18   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikg87 View Post

The fix that worked for me is to get all the doors and the boot damped with the heaviest available damp sheet to full extent(two metal layers, the plastic layer of each door). I believe close to 15 sheets(Dampmat plus, 2.5mm) were used for 4 doors and boot.
I am planning to try out damping sheets, but I am unable to get a recommendation for a reliable shop that I can get these installed from.
Unfortunately, the shops in Bangalore that are highly rated seem to be a little too arrogant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post

It is very disappointing to face these issues after paying a big amount for a supposed premium car and all the more as otherwise, the car is fantastic.
I have one persistent rattle that remains - the left rear door. It is super annoying. It does not depend on any road condition (although it is evidently more on bad patches)

I am disappointed enough to consider selling the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneesh1977 View Post
The technician who did the test drive said that THODA NOISE TO AAYEGA.

I will post the update.
Unfortunately, this is what my Service Advisor eventually admitted to as well. Very disappointing.

Last edited by Turbanator : 3rd August 2022 at 08:36. Reason: Trimmed quote
Old 5th August 2022, 12:11   #23

So I got my compass back within a day with all noise issues fixed 95 % . Now there is an occasional click which is normal in every car . Now since I have become more cautious , my ears are trying to figure out every sound in the cabin . I have already done a Mumbai - Udaipur - Mumbai trip in this beauty and it has got excellent highway manners . It does seem that there is a lag in pick up , that’s what everyone says , but it’s a myth . It’s speeds are deceptive as it’s so linear that one doesn’t know when u reach 80 - 100 kmph . It’s stable and composed as a tank . I have been driving the Škoda octavia ( done 150000 kms and still it’s rock solid and I use it for my city drives ) and it would be u fair to compare both but both are vehicles build rock solid and safe with driving pleasure .
Attached Thumbnails
Too many rattles in my new Jeep Compass-ba5bae3828384b6ea0a066bbca6ac10d.jpeg  

Too many rattles in my new Jeep Compass-f5354d1054fd49d5a2a1087c8fbbf9ea.jpeg  

Maneesh1977 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 22:27   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneesh1977 View Post
So I got my compass back within a day with all noise issues fixed 95 % . Now there is an occasional click which is normal in every car .
Fantastic to know that many rattles are fixed!

I just did a Bangalore - Pune drive and the rattles were low (although I do attribute part of that to the cooler weather).

Curious, did you ever experience rattles or any other issues with Octavia? I’m actually considering Octavia / Superb as a Jeep replacement. Thanks in advance.
Old 8th August 2022, 16:24   #25

Quote:
Curious, did you ever experience rattles or any other issues with Octavia? I’m actually considering Octavia / Superb as a Jeep replacement.
The Octavia is a superb vehicle. I do not like the current model though as it’s only in petrol and has no sunroof. There is no rattle after 1.5 lakh kms. It takes off like a bullet.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th August 2022 at 17:01. Reason: Quote tag fixed
Old 9th August 2022, 08:48   #26

Are these manufacturers taking us Indians for granted or are such problem prevalent in the developed markets too like in North America or Europe?
Old 20th August 2022, 21:14   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
My 2022 Compass has crossed 4000km and now has 5 separate places where it rattles - 3 are random and 2 are persistent

The random ones
  • Roof above/behind driver head
  • Centre console
  • Driver side AC vent
I have noticed that the first one is typically there when the car is out in hot sun for long time

And the two persistent ones
  • Driver side door
  • Passenger side door/B-Pillar

It is very disappointing to face these issues after paying a big amount for a supposed premium car and all the more as otherwise the car is fantastic.
Quote:
Hello Fellow BHPians,

This is my first contribution to team-bhp and hope this helps anyone considering the Jeep Compass. I’ll keep it as succinct as possible.

The Ugly - Rattles!
  • At about a week old, I heard rattling noises coming from the driver side of the dashboard. I was on St Marks road in Bengaluru which is one of the smoothest roads we have (we don’t have many). The noise then went away after I parked so I didn’t bother about it.
    It came back again a few weeks later, and I took it to the service centre.
    Service centre folks were very helpful and they kept the car for 3 days and ensured all rattles are taken care of.
  • At about 2.5 months in, the car developed niggling “clickety” noises on the co-driver side of the door . Each time there was sudden acceleration or if one goes over a bumper, I could hear a distinct click.
    I didn’t bother about it as I could live with it till the free service.
    However, on the way back from Chikmanglur (about ~250km from Bengaluru), the car developed continuous rattling combined with clickety noises from the co-driver and/or left rear door .

This time, it was a 7 day stay at the service centre. Again folks at the Service centre were very helpful (and really empathised with me).
    They tested the car numerous times (and drove about 75kms+) and ironed out a bunch of rattle sounds.
  • While picking the car up from this 2nd service, as I was reversing, I could here a rattle sound again. Immediately, I called in the service advisor who was also nonplussed to hear a continuous mild vibration/rattling. He then put a finger on the tiny Ganesha Idol on the dashboard and the sound went away.

A tiny Ganesha Idol which wasn’t visibly bobbing created the noise that could be heard in the entire cabin! Unbelievable, but true!
  • This one time, I heard rattling again. Remembering the Ganesha Idol incident, I started touching around to see if it’s something as simple as that. Turns out, this time it was the sunroof!
    Holding the sunroof fabric silenced the noise. Go figure.
  • I’ve had 4 really long trips in the car (~900kms) and she has always developed rattles after about 600kms of constant running .
  • The Jeep Group on Facebook is full of posts of rattling noises coming from different parts of the body. There’s one where changing the rubber lining of the window frame eliminated the noise.
    There’s also a 30k review on team-bhp that mentions occasional rattles in the passing.
  • There’s definitely something up with the acoustics of the car as well as the materials used that makes it conducive to rattling. My 9 year Polo with the front suspension conked off doesn’t rattle as badly as the brand new Jeep Compass.

Verdict
There are a lot of positives about the car- the tech is great and the interiors feel luxurious. It’s a good car to drive both in the city & on the highway.

But, if you’re like me, and you’re looking for a no-nonsense car and assume that you’ll get one because of the amount you pay and the rugged image of the brand - you’ll be disappointed (just like I am).

In a way feels good to be in some company. My new Jeep Compass (Model S) too suffers the same rattles. In this case the sweet spots for the rattle is right by the ears of the driver and passenger - the doors. They are also intermittent and that is in a way worse because you are left anticipating the sounds even when they aren't present

It took a trip to the KHT service centre in Bangalore. Funnily, the rattles seemed to have a mind of their own and the car refused to rattle even one bit during the test drive. After an extended drive they finally showed up, but the service team seemed quite familiar with the probelm.

The rattles seem less frequent and a little damped. I expressed my displeasure and the service centre folks offered to open up the door and try fixing it again. Part of me wants to send it again hoping for a fix and part of me feels it is all a ruse and this is probably never going to fix.

Any recommendations? Any other cons besides having to keep the car in the workshop and not being able to drive it?

Everything else about the car seems perfect, but the rattles are too difficult to ignore. My two little boys are asking me to ignore the noise as they are in love with the car and the sunroof, and their mom is taking their side too. I seem to be the oddball wanting to even sell this and move to another one for just the noise.
deevilslair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 22:24   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevilslair View Post
In a way feels good to be in some company. My new Jeep Compass (Model S) too suffers the same rattles. In this case the sweet spots for the rattle is right by the ears of the driver and passenger - the doors. They are also intermittent and that is in a way worse because you are left anticipating the sounds even when they aren't present
This, exactly this! It’s the anticipation of the next rattle that completely ruins the drive experience. Also, yes, good to have company in shared misery (there are a lot more in this forum)

Quote:
Any recommendations? Any other cons besides having to keep the car in the workshop and not being able to drive it?
Not really. I’ve given it thrice already but the rattles always returned. I have a box of unused car damping sheets lying around the house too - haven’t found a seemingly reliable shop in Bengaluru to install those (plus, I’m a bit iffy about the car being fiddled with by folks outside of the service center)

Quote:
Everything else about the car seems perfect, but the rattles are too difficult to ignore. My two little boys are asking me to ignore the noise as they are in love with the car and the sunroof, and their mom is taking their side too. I seem to be the oddball wanting to even sell this and move to another one for just the noise.
Well, the final straw for me was when a friend who had been very supportive finally caved one morning (it was an early morning drive with no traffic, and the rattles were very pronounced) that the rattles had become annoying!
Test driving new cars as we speak and hope to sell the Jeep before it completes a year
yamoody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 03:09   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Fantastic to know that many rattles are fixed!

I just did a Bangalore - Pune drive and the rattles were low (although I do attribute part of that to the cooler weather).

Curious, did you ever experience rattles or any other issues with Octavia? I’m actually considering Octavia / Superb as a Jeep replacement. Thanks in advance.
I mean, you don't need to second guess yourself - you had a Polo earlier and you know if it did/didn't rattle.

In my experience rattling is rare in well-maintained cars, my 6-year old Vento only started having a mild rattle after I broke the glove compartment box (even this I find unbearable, and have already looked into getting it replaced), and maybe I'm a picky customer but I can't imagine buying a brand new car (particularly one branded as a solid and stable, no nonsense car) and having it rattle as much as you're describing. I hope you find something you like on your test drives.
rkv_2401 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 09:42   #30
BHPian

Quote:

Well, the final straw for me was when a friend who had been very supportive finally caved one morning (it was an early morning drive with no traffic, and the rattles were very pronounced) that the rattles had become annoying!
Test driving new cars as we speak and hope to sell the Jeep before it completes a year
Do let us know about your shortlists here. I had seriously considered the Slavia 1.5 Manual (Virtus hadn't launched back then) before zeroing on to the Jeep. Not a day goes by wishing I had chosen differently.

And to add to the woes, the Jeep guys at KHT having done another Khichdi. The car invoice date shows up as 4 months prior to the registration date. Seems like a pre-invoiced and cancelled car, but they aren't able to change it on their system yet and the FCA / KHT support to resolve this seems abysmal. Well this is what I hope the issue is and they haven't sold me a second (VIN, Parivahan and PDI checks indicate they shouldn't have, but after all this I suddenly feel anything could happen).

Posting this amidst annoyed looks from my better half who still feels this is much ado about something very trivial and should be spending the Sunday better instead of broadcasting my woes into the meta-verse.
deevilslair is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks