Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2022, 03:23   #1
BHPian

Went over a nasty speed breaker at high speed | Now what?

Happened last night, I didnt see the speed breaker and crossed it at ard 50-60kmph. Heard loud thuds from both front and rear.

Was driving a Honda Amaze, the breaker was asphalt type, smallish but quite nasty and steep. Now I’m worried that it may have caused some damage. Car ran ok afterwards but im unable to sleep.

What do you guys recommend I should do?
What is the usual part that gets damaged in such a scenario? My car has done about 15k kilometres.
BNG-motorhead is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 05:11   #2
BHPian

re: Went over a nasty speed breaker at high speed | Now what?

Drive on.

As like any other car during straight ahead driving just monitor car's behaviour such as:

Is the car drifts/pulls to one side?

Is the steering wheel not centred but cocked to one side?

If none of the above, sleep well.

If one or both of the above exists.....

don't fret as many cars on the road (with no damaged suspension parts) are currently exhibit such subtle behaviour too.

Send for wheel alignment check, and adjustment if need be.

Last edited by zeng : 30th March 2022 at 05:17.
zeng is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 06:11   #3
BHPian

Typical thing to look for:
1. Bends in rims if the wheels are of steel. If alloys, carefully look for cracks. If nothing all is well. For steel rims, if there is a bend, it's removable - don't worry. For alloys, if there is a crack, do replace it (unfortunately).
2. Look for tears in the side wall of tyres. If nothing, great.
3. Wheel alignment issues - car may pull to one side or the other. If yes, do alignment.
4. Vibration at high speeds - may be possible only if there is a bend in the rim or some existing weights on the wheel got dislodged. In this case also, a wheel balancing should fix the problem.
5. Rare cases may involve damage to other parts such as radiator, etc. So do look at whether the coolant level is fine.

Finally don't overdo it - it's quite likely that everything is all fine. If yes, don't worry more than you need to and chill and enjoy your car.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 30th March 2022 at 08:39. Reason: edited
deep_bang is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 07:31   #4
BHPian

Slightly off topic. Do the modern driver aids like for example, Honda sensing tech come with a capability to detect speed brakers? If yes, it could be very useful in India. These nasty, unpainted and unscientific speedbrakers serve no purpose, neither do they cause the vehicles to slow down as they go undetected nor do they save any pedestrian who intends to cross the road.
Dead_Pedal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 08:20   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Don't worry, happens to the best of us. Repercussions could be absolutely nothing, or a bent rim, or a damaged suspension.

If you are really concerned, it wouldn't hurt to get the underbody checked up. Would take barely 15 minutes on the hydraulic lift at your dealer or an independent workshop.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 09:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Went over a nasty speed breaker at high speed | Now what?

Take the Amaze to the dealer and get it checked up and hopefully it would be fine.
Also get the wheel alignment checked too..
Old 30th March 2022, 10:50   #7
BHPian

It happens. But Amaze was known to have low, exposed oil sump. Just check it out for cracks or dents to the oil sump. Get the alignment checked and you are good to go. These things are factored in the Design and are rated for certain limited cycles of extreme shock. Please don't worry much, but get an underbody check.
lapis_lazuli is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 10:55   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I wrecked my 10 year old A Star's engine mounts in a similar incident with a deep pothole. Being an older car, its mounts were on the way out and the pothole did the trick.

To test if your engine mounts have given way, see if there's a vibration from the engine at specific gears or RPMs. Some cars' bodies shake vigorously in neutral gear with bad engine mounts. Mine rattled in reverse gear and at specific RPMs in all forward gears.
Old 30th March 2022, 11:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Been there done that in a 800 many times on Mumbai Goa trips. Had bent rims and a ball joint which was busted once. We actually came to know about it much later. A suspension will make irregular noise before giving up. I would be more worried about the front engine sump etc. Just get it checked up at reputable garage if you are in doubt. If the oil levels etc are ok nothing should be wrong at the front as well.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 11:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

I have not gone through a similar incident, but would suggest as below:
  • Take the car to an ASC and explain in detail as to how the incident happened. They will probably know best as to what all to check.
  • Regarding wheel issues, you might like to watch out for the symptoms pointed out by other BHPians, and follow up with a good WAB shop if needed.
Old 30th March 2022, 13:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNG-motorhead View Post
What is the usual part that gets damaged in such a scenario? My car has done about 15k kilometres.
Please get the underbody checked asap to look for potential damage to front & rear suspension components, any low oil sump, rim/alloys, exhaust assembly.

Underbody picture from TBHP official review:

Name:  2018hondaamaze43.jpg
Views: 3234
Size:  190.9 KB

Even the smallest 'tear' or misalignment should be rectified immediately.
JoshMachine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 17:30   #12
BHPian

Ran over a pothole recently at 50-60 KMPH , the FR Steel wheel is now bent.
No vibrations , no evident pulling or anything of sorts , no loss of air specific to this tyre as well.
Any idea how much they charge on an average to remove the bend ?
Went over a nasty speed breaker at high speed | Now what?-img20220331164328.jpg
r24x7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 19:01   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r24x7 View Post
Any idea how much they charge on an average to remove the bend ?
It should be around 200 to 400 if done with a machine. Smaller shops also do it with a hammer with a reasonably not-bad results, but would suggest a good shop like tyre-empire or any such shop which does the bend removal with a machine. Good to also do a balancing for that one wheel too, just in case any weights were present in those points which are now gone.
deep_bang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 23:37   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNG-motorhead View Post
Happened last night, I didnt see the speed breaker and crossed it at ard 50-60kmph. Heard loud thuds from both front and rear.

Was driving a Honda Amaze, the breaker was asphalt type, smallish but quite nasty and steep. Now I’m worried that it may have caused some damage. Car ran ok afterwards but im unable to sleep.

I would suggest that you have a wheel alignment done to the car. By the time you find out, you might be needing 2 or 4 new tyres. An alignment is a cheap insurance
Indian2003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 09:43   #15
BHPian

I had the same situation with my Brio some years back. My speed was slightly higher, 70-80 range. Did not face any issue till date. But have a look at the rims.
NH08 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks