Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Does your Mahindra XUV300 have this problem with the rear wiper/washer?
I have a BS4 version and YES, I have this problem 1 11.11%
I have a BS4 version and NO, I don't have this problem 1 11.11%
I have a BS6 version and YES, I have this problem 4 44.44%
I have a BS6 version and NO, I don't have this problem 2 22.22%
I had this problem before and I managed to fix it (please comment below on how you fixed) 0 0%
I have a different problem with rear wiper/washer (please comment below) 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2022, 09:38   #16
BHPian

Re: Annoying rear wiper/washer behavior in the Mahindra XUV300

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
When the wiper stalk is depressed, the wiper starts before the washer sprays water. This results in the wiper doing a full swipe (dragging all the dust and debris) across the rear windshield before meeting the water on its way back.

This essentially nullifies the use of washer if the wiper is anyway doing a full swipe without any fluid.
Yes, I too noticed a design flaw in the 1st gen Swift, 1st gen Ertiga, 1st gen Celerio, and Scross regarding the rear wiper. The wiper arm rests on the left side of the glass whereas the washer nozzle has been placed on the right in the HMSL. This technically means that the first 90 degree swipe is done without fluid resulting in scratching the glass if dirt and debris are in place. I tried adjusting the nozzle spray angle and it did not help at all.
Attaching photos of the cars below ( few taken from T-BHP official reviews)

Annoying rear wiper/washer behavior in the Mahindra XUV300-29589_maruti_suzuki_ertiga_002.jpg

Annoying rear wiper/washer behavior in the Mahindra XUV300-edited1.jpg

Annoying rear wiper/washer behavior in the Mahindra XUV300-celerio-back.jpeg

Annoying rear wiper/washer behavior in the Mahindra XUV300-img_20210827_182205.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar;,5284232
Obviously, I took the car to the service center to have a chat with the technical manager. He noticed the problem and said that it is a behavior in the MBFM itself and is likely due to the washer motor being in front. So the water is getting pumped at the same time as the start of wiper. However, since the water line has to build up pressure, there is a delay of 1-2 seconds within which the wiper does a full swipe.
Seems to be a clear case of Check valve (non return valve) failure. You're better off buying check valves from either aquarium stores or ordering one from Boodmo ( attached link in my previous post above) and placing them near the washer pump pipe and another one just before the washer nozzle at the rear. My car has the maruti check valve near the rear washer nozzle and I have installed another one at the washer pump. Attaching photos of the same.

Annoying rear wiper/washer behavior in the Mahindra XUV300-img_20211120_160923.jpg

This should essentially fix your problem.

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 10:22   #17
BHPian

There is a large area still dry, even for the front wipers, when the stream operates before the wiping starts.
The windscreens are capable enough to avoid scratches from dry wipes even when small debris or dust has collected on the windscreen.
Coming to the wipers, yes, their life may get reduced overtime, but as pointed out in the thread, there are cars (including my Safari Dicor) where rear wipers are situated on one side and stream operates from the other. They essentially make a 90 degree swipe without any stream.
Don't worry about scratches or wiper life, else you may end up not using them when you should.
I sometimes just run the wiper dry to clear dust in my long standing car. If I use the stream, it looks too dirty on the windscreen edges. The dust blows away after I pick up speed. I haven't seen any windscreen scratches or significant reduction in wiper life.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 13:18   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtoncastelino View Post
Seems to be a clear case of Check valve (non return valve) failure. You're better off buying check valves from either aquarium stores or ordering one from Boodmo ( attached link in my previous post above) and placing them near the washer pump pipe and another one just before the washer nozzle at the rear. My car has the maruti check valve near the rear washer nozzle and I have installed another one at the washer pump. Attaching photos of the same.
Is this a beginner DIY fix? If yes, I don't have to bother going to the service center and aligning them on changing this.

But this is something I'll definitely do and report back!

While it might be a trivial thing for many, such flaws are like my pet peeves . I mean the QC should have checked for this basic function. They only bothered to check,
"Does the wiper work? Yes."
"Does the washer work? Yes."

"Uhm.. Do they work well together? Eh. Who cares, not part of my QC checklist!"
krishnakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 18:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
1. Since both my car and the car with lag has pressurized output, I don't think it's a defect with something blocking the nozzle.

2. If it was a drop in pressure or water receding, a back to back application should ideally see the lag reducing or going away in subsequent attempts, right?
1. True, this I didn't notice
2. Right but not 100% sure since I haven't seen the piping for the rear washer.

The best bet right now is the check valve fix, let's see if it works. Would request to share the DIY steps with pics so its useful for others and preferably in a dedicated thread for better visibility.

Good Luck
Old 11th April 2022, 13:32   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The aquarium one way check valves are the best and easily available.

In Maruti parts stable, the below is the part of the one way valve.

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-valv..._hose-6783048/

There is an arrow indicating the direction of water flow.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 11th April 2022 at 13:39.
Old 11th April 2022, 13:59   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
In Maruti parts stable, the below is the part of the one way valve.

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-valv..._hose-6783048/

There is an arrow indicating the direction of water flow.
Yes indeed. There is a cheaper version of it and I've attached a boodmo link.

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-joint-6799171/

I've used this part on my swift and it works beautifully. The cost is just ₹4 and it too has a arrow depicting the direction flow.
Boodmo seems to have a ready stock of it.

Annoying rear wiper/washer behavior in the Mahindra XUV300-16496656559082046289070516679940.jpg

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 10:46   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes indeed. There is a cheaper version of it and I've attached a boodmo link.

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-joint-6799171/

I've used this part on my swift and it works beautifully. The cost is just ₹4 and it too has a arrow depicting the direction flow.
Boodmo seems to have a ready stock of it.
Thanks for sharing the link.

Unfortunately, minimum order value on Boodmo is 200 rupees excluding shipping. Cannot order them right away. Maybe when I have some thing else to order I will club this item along.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 11:45   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Another one way valve from the Maruti parts bin.

Part Number - 38833M79500
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-i_jo...907.1623732949

It does not have an arrow indicating the direction of flow of water. But there is a spring loaded ball present on one side of the valve. This side should face the water inflow

Water In -----> Side where the ball is present ------> Water out

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 14th April 2022 at 11:56.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 12:18   #24
BHPian

If you really want the water to start flowing immediately i would suggest adding two of this one way valves so that the pipe is always filled with water near the rear water outlet point. One valve can be placed a few feet from the rear water jet and the other mid way. This will ensure water will always be present in the line.
Old 14th April 2022, 12:51   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
If you really want the water to start flowing immediately i would suggest adding two of this one way valves so that the pipe is always filled with water near the rear water outlet point. One valve can be placed a few feet from the rear water jet and the other mid way. This will ensure water will always be present in the line.
Yes. One near the windshield nozzle and one just after the washer motor.

On my tiago, I had this annoying delay for the rear washer like the OP mentioned for the XUV3OO. I installed the One way valve few inches before the rear washer nozzle and now there is no delay between pulling the wiper stalk and the water coming out of the nozzle. I could not add one near the washer motor since that is not accessible.

For the front , I replaced an existing connector with a one way valve and life is good.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 14th April 2022 at 13:13.
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks