Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2023, 17:13   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Explained: How to repair a defective AMT gearbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
Tata Agra has sold this to me for ₹903. However, I am not convinced that this is AMT hydraulic fluid. It does t specifically say anything and the word transmission oil makes it seem dubious.

What do you suppose I do now?
Looks similar to what I have. Check the consistency. It must have a watery consistency.

I will check the bottle that I have and update after a couple of days.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2023, 22:53   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Looks similar to what I have. Check the consistency. It must have a watery consistency.

I will check the bottle that I have and update after a couple of days.
It was watery indeed. I've done the change this evening.

lemedico is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 01:33   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keneida View Post
Ideally the cleaning must be done twice, 1st is when you haven't replaced the AMT oil lets say 40K Km or 20K km when jerks are felt at low speeds.
Hi Kenneth,

I have a Wagon R AMT which has just completed 22k Kms. The car is 7 years old. I am getting a sort of juddering and jerking at low RPM. MASS insist that nothing is wrong with the car and especially not with the clutch. I have only ust come across this thread and so will ask them to change the AMT oil and see if it makes a difference.

Can you please post the link to your video again as it is no longer available on this thread.

Many THanks & Warm Regards,
SS
Old 29th October 2023, 15:14   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Kenneth,

I have a Wagon R AMT which has just completed 22k Kms. The car is 7 years old. I am getting a sort of juddering and jerking at low RPM.
SS
Hi,
Just buy the amt oil from boodmo it's 1080 for 550ml.
Replace the same using the syringe method.Thats the only way out. I have also done the same on my celerio. For max change of oil we need two cans of 550ml of fresh oil.

Regards
Manoj.
Hope you remember me,I am the same guy you facilitated your sx4 sale.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 18:08   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Hi,
Replace the same using the syringe method.Thats the only way out. I have also done the same on my celerio. For max change of oil we need two cans of 550ml of fresh oil.
Hey Manoj,

Thanks a lot. Will do this asap. Just surprised that MASS did not do this even after telling them the issue I was facing.

Of course I remember you. How is the SX4 doing? Been 3 years now.

Cheers,
K
Old 31st October 2023, 10:10   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Kenneth,

I have a Wagon R AMT which has just completed 22k Kms. The car is 7 years old. I am getting a sort of juddering and jerking at low RPM. MASS insist that nothing is wrong with the car and especially not with the clutch. I have only just come across this thread and so will ask them to change the AMT oil and see if it makes a difference.

Can you please post the link to your video again as it is no longer available on this thread.

Many Thanks & Warm Regards,
SS
Hello Suzuki San, I had issues with the cloud storage which hosted the video. Coming to your queries, I have found a better way to deal with the issue arising with AMT after long use. In my video I tried to clean the AMT oil physically, but there is a better way. And it requires help of Maruti Suzuki service center. Here are the steps.

1. There is a preset program in the ECU scanning software that Maruti Suzuki uses. Do not use 3rd party scanners, it will lock the system and you will have to purchase a new AMT unit for over 80K. So approach the issue of programming the AMT unit at an authorized service center only.

2. There is a oil discharge and AMT unit removal procedure shown in some YouTube videos () . Study the sequence of operations the mechanic does and emulate it at Authorized service center using their Scanning tool.

3. Once you discharge the oil, take out the system and drain the reservoir dry, and clean the residue,

4. You get Maruti Suzuki genuine part for actuator piston for approx. 9K rupees, It is not a part of general part catalogue, But the part exists. Give me some time I will secure the part number.

5. Simply remove the old actuator, replace it with new one, clean everything, follow the installation instructions as seen in YouTube video, Top up with new fresh oil, re do the calibration and you are good to go.

Also, If you haven't replaced your clutch over 7 years I would suggest to get it replaced, but if you have replaced it recently then don't bother, its the AMT actuator that needs to be worked on. And remember - NO 3rd party Scanning tools.

Edit- 22K is not that much of mileage which needs clutch change, your clutch is fine as suggested by MASS.

Last edited by Keneida : 31st October 2023 at 10:13. Reason: Clutch was already inspected.
Keneida is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 17:43   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Replace the same using the syringe method.Thats the only way out. I have also done the same on my celerio. For max change of oil we need two cans of 550ml of fresh oi
Heres what it looks like in 20k kms.
Attached Thumbnails
Explained: How to repair a defective AMT gearbox-1000063144-1.jpg  

Old 6th November 2023, 17:48   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Heres what it looks like in 20k kms.
Any noticible improvement?
Old 6th November 2023, 18:00   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Any noticible improvement?
Yes shifts smoother.
Will do another drain in another 100kms to drain the remaining oil also.
The jerkiness has gone.
scorpian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 23:03   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Yes shifts smoother.
Will do another drain in another 100kms to drain the remaining oil also.
The jerkiness has gone.
I can confirm that changing the oil makes the car super smooth,the gear shifts are much much better and the cold juddering is also gone.
Overall i would say it's definitely worth it.
For those who haven't replaced please do so,it takes about 15mins with a 50ml syringe and a small pipe.
scorpian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2023, 12:57   #41
BHPian

Hi Guys,

TBHP Member Scorpian was kind enough to drive 50 Kms to my house to carry out an AMT oil change for me. He had all the necessary equipment and was well versed with the procedure having done it on his own Celerio. The whole process took about 20 minutes.

My Waggy is running much smoother than before but a slight judder is still there - though much, much less than before. The plan is to do another oil change soon and I hope that will solve the problem.

Attached are the "Before" and "After" pics of the oil removed from the AMT unit.

Regards,
SS

P.S. A big "Thank You" to Scorpian for having done this for me as Maruti were least interested in doing this job.
Attached Thumbnails
Explained: How to repair a defective AMT gearbox-amt-oil-change.jpg  

suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 01:37   #42
BHPian

My brother who drives a Nexon AMT P has clocked over 90K kms. I told him about the amt fluid change and we enquired Tata Motors about it. They were not ready to change the fluid as they say it's a lifetime fluid.
When I asked them what if the AMT unit fails, they told me that the only way would be to replace the whole AMT unit which would cost somewhere between 1.2-1.5 lakhs.

Now we are stuck in a dilemma. Should we change the oil(We are a little hesitant since we don't want to mess up the AMT, and since the oil change would be done so late, could it pose any problems in the future?) or sell off the car?

Also, aren't both Tata and Maruti using MM AMT units? Could it be possible to use Maruti's parts on Tata's AMT unit?
Old 22nd April 2024, 00:44   #43
BHPian

Hi Guys,

As there was still a juddering sound from the AMT gear box soon after doing a partial gear oil change, I convinced Maruti to do a complete oil change at their ASS. They finally agreed after much persuasion and did a complete change for which they charged me Rs. 1700.00. The car is like brand new now. No juddering at all and smooth shifts.

Please note that the oil was completely drained out, new oil flushed through and then new oil filled again. After this the AMT system was calibrated using the Suzuki app and OBD scanner unit

@abhi9044 : I am not sure about TASS and their capabilities to do this job hence I never bought an AMT product from them although I was keen on the Nano AMT.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 07:43   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi9044 View Post
My brother who drives a Nexon AMT P has clocked over 90K kms. I told him about the amt fluid change and we enquired Tata Motors about it. They were not ready to change the fluid as they say it's a lifetime fluid.
When I asked them what if the AMT unit fails, they told me that the only way would be to replace the whole AMT unit which would cost somewhere between 1.2-1.5 lakhs.

Now we are stuck in a dilemma. Should we change the oil(We are a little hesitant since we don't want to mess up the AMT, and since the oil change would be done so late, could it pose any problems in the future?) or sell off the car?

Also, aren't both Tata and Maruti using MM AMT units? Could it be possible to use Maruti's parts on Tata's AMT unit?
Absolutely change it, make it a DIY! scroll up a few posts to see a few videos on how to do it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks