Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2024, 15:44   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata Cars Diagnostic and ECU data files

This post might be a little bit odd from what I am aiming that is remapping of my ECU. This post is more of a DIY service of my car. Last Sunday I performed engine oil and filters replacement by myself and learned a lot of things which I was taking for granted. Here is my real on DIY service.

1. Parked the car on flat floor with little to no slope.
2. Placed a mat under car front and lie down to locate the drain nut which is just behind the front bumper.
3. Placed an empty plastic bowl of large size and used spanner to open the nut. Oil started to drain at low flow rate in bowl.
4. Opened the Oil filler cap and then oil started draining very fast.

Now things started to go crazy.

5.Went to market and looked for Castrol Magnetic Start-Stop 3.5 L 5w-30 oil but was told company has stopped that model and now its marketing it as 5w-30 SUV oil in place of Start-stop oil. With not other option and my car drained of oil. I bought the oil. I also purchased oil filter of Tata Indigo from Elofic as most tata cars used same oil filter specifications. Filter costed 200 INR and Oil costed 1700 INR (including 100 rupee coupon discount which is available in cap of oil container).

6. Came back home, tried to open the oil filter by bare hand but could not as it is placed in very tight spot when trying to open from top. Looked on YouTube and tried to make oil filter wrench jugad by electric wire. Spent 2 hours in trying to open the oil filter. Very frustrating as I was not having correct tool to open oil filter. In the end I was not able to open the filter and so went ahead with closing the drain plug and filling new oil.

7. Cleaned the Air filter with some pressure air. Its a simple job of opening four bolts at top of engine cover assembly.

8. Cleaned the AC cabin filter with water flow.

9. Started thinking about oil filter again as it was Sunday and I have only one thing to think about. Came to conclusion that I do not need a filter opening tool and I do not have to push my hands to their limit to open a mere 200 rupee filter. Took a long screw-driver and punched a hole in the body of oil filter using small hammer till I could feel the inner paper of filter. A small turn applied to screwdriver and voila this piece of shit filter is opening like a charm.

10. Here I want to confirm that new oil is already in the system and now I am able to take out the old oil filter. So opened cover of new filter put it with new seal at its place. Hand tightened the filter as it is the most recommended method in rest of the world.

11. Started the engine thinking that finally I have completed my DIY service but as I stepped out to see the engine my car was urinating engine oil from sides of filter. Stopped the engine, thought for a second what did I do wrong and what I ignored is that there was written on filter to apply some new oil on oil seal ring before installing in the engine which I did not. Tried to open the oil filter again by hand but to my surprise it was not budging. So again used screw driver and hammer and repeated process to open the oil filter.

12, Went to market, bought another oil filter, came back to car, applied some oil in the seal ring of oil filter and installed it. This time I also checked that when you apply some engine oil to the ring then it becomes very sticky and hence it is very important to apply engine oil to the ring when installing.

13. Now, filter is installed perfect, engine oil is filled, started the engine, car sound is as smooth as someone can expect from 3 cyl diesel pot from Tata. But there is just one problem, the oil is new, oil filter is being replaced 2nd time, my car has urinated engine oil so I do not know how much oil is there in the engine.

14. Started engine, reached warming point, swithed off engine, waited for 10 minutes, checked oil level in dipstick. The level is below center of the two points shown as high and low in dipstick. Put some more oil (specifically 1 Liter) because I keep the level just near the high mark of dipstick.

This concluded my DIY service of Tata Tigor diesel. Most important point I learned is to use my brain rather than following herd and learn from my mistakes. So next time, this service is gonna take 1/2 hour.
gaurvr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 13:59   #17
BHPian

Hi everyone who is following this thread. Yesterday I received the powerbox and clone of Scanmatik SM2 pro with PCM flash. Today, I tried to write the tata tigor diesel ecu data file in DCM2.5 ecu of ashok leyland (which I got from scrap yard).

The software showed checksum error and did not allow me to write the file. Also there was a difference in file size extracted from two different ecus. The DCM2.5 ecu has 832KB flash memory and my car ecu DCM2.5P has memory size of 1.06MB so it was expected. But I was able to achieve a milestone of safely writing file to ecu using powerbox and scanmatik.

I was able to write modified rom file of ashok leyland ecu. Next step is search for DCM2.5P ecu from scrap yard as the new costs around 18000 INR. If someone needs DCM2.5 ecu for their bolero BS4, ashok leyland BS4 and BS3 or Sumo or tata 407 then I can give this ecu as it is of no use to me.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 16th April 2024 at 14:06. Reason: para space added for easy reading
Old 23rd April 2024, 16:52   #18
BHPian

Greetings to all following my posts. I was able to smoothly write ecu bin file changes to my tata tigor ecm using SM2 Pro with bitbox software on bench. On Saturday, I changed the drivers wish map in my ecu to smoothen the transition of fuel injected quantity at different rpms and pedal %. You can check the attached image. If you own a tata diesel car then you will notice that there is heavy vibration in the band of 1500 to 2000 rpm when you press hard on accelerator. The changes that I made in this map are to tackle that vibration. Man o man, the car accelerates super smooth. I have not increase any top parameter that could strain my engine or other things. If someone has tata tiago or tigor then he can clearly notice smoothness of day & night when driving my car. Next step of tuning is to make excel sheets that link various engine maps like boost map, torque to injected quantity, air to fuel, temperature to boost, egr, and so on. Once finished, I will share the sheets here.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Cars Diagnostic and ECU data files-driver_wish_change.png  

gaurvr is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 17:35   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Kudos to your perseverance! You have been on this project for a couple of years now and finally a breakthrough!
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 12:40   #20
BHPian

Hi everyone, yesterday I got hold of many OEM software like tata passenger car software, tata utility software, mahindra i-smart, tata cvbu, pvbu, maruti suzuki manual system, askhok leyland software etc. So, if there are people out there stuck because of these silly things which your service center is not providing then you can write to me.

Another thing, I got duped of 4500 rupees. As you might be aware from my previous post, I was trying to get an ecu of tata tigor from scrap dealer. I put my query on Facebook group called USED CAR Spares and one person who claims to be from Gorakhpur called me. I told him my requirement, he send me picture of part available with him, I confirmed its ok then he made a video (probably fake) of packing my ecu part and shipping via Trackon courier. I paid him 4500 rupee upfront and then after two days he stopped communication with me. He provided me with a fake tracking ID which I used to track but always maintained that your part is in transit may be courier company has not updated the status. So if you guys every came across this person whose mobile number is 9127188914 then please do not fall next victim. I have registered a complained about him in cyber cell but everyone knows there will be nothing going to happen to him. On same note, I got in touch with a person in Mumbai Kurla with name Tarif khan. I told him my story and he shipped the part with full video of packing item at courier company sent to me. He made sure that I can trust him by asking the courier company employee to talk to me and tell me the content of package with video call. So finally I will be receive the spare ECU of my car with 2 days with which I will be free to let the hell loose in engine tuning.
Old 7th May 2024, 09:54   #21
BHPian

Yesterday, I received the ecu from new guy and flashed it with my map file after taking read of the ecu. Installed the new ecu in car and guess what, immobilizer not ready to start the car. So today, I can confirm that even with flash your original ecu flash backup file, you still need to perform pairing of ecu with immobilizer. All the data related to vin and immo keys are saved in eeprom chip on ecus these days.

I am still going deeper into ecus as they are quite interesting for me as mechanical engineer. While studying the data sheet of processor used in my ecu, I came across information regarding various memory location addresses where different types of datas are saved by microcontroller. For example, if you look in the table of addresses then my flash rom is divided into multiple segments of 256kb and 64kb which can be accesses at different addresses. Similarly, eeprom will have an address on board where software can read and write it. All these ecu mapping and programming software are just reading and writing to these address locations using simple programs.

Now, I am going on two different paths: First path will be modifying the flash file and increasing power of car. Second path will be learning and creating simple programs which can read and write to various sectors of microcontrollers and eeproms. I think I will need eeprom reader device as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Cars Diagnostic and ECU data files-addresses_in_mcp.png  

gaurvr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2024, 06:35   #22

Hi gaurvr,

Could you please share the tata passenger car software (TDS). Would be of great help to me in diagnosing my Tiago jtp.
Old 12th May 2024, 07:56   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonysnicketz View Post
Hi gaurvr,

Could you please share the tata passenger car software (TDS). Would be of great help to me in diagnosing my Tiago jtp.
I have the software installed and licensed to my system. I can share the setup with you but do not know whether it will work on your system or not. Please share your email id. I will share the software tomorrow.
gaurvr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2024, 15:09   #24
BHPian

Hi Everyone following my posts, yesterday I was able to convert all the pages of Tata Tiago/Tigor workshop manual into a pdf. Please find below the link for your reference:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v0y...ew?usp=sharing

Regarding tuning perspective, I am in a delima right now. The very first thing people do after getting their ecu bin file is delete EGR which means keeping the EGR valve closed so that no exhaust goes into combustion chamber and they get more power but I do not want to spoil the environment for my fun. What are your views about EGR delete should I delete it or should I better optimize it for cold run and mid range RPMs.
gaurvr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 11:25   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurvr View Post
I have the software installed and licensed to my system. I can share the setup with you but do not know whether it will work on your system or not. Please share your email id. I will share the software tomorrow.
Hi gaurvr,

Unable to send you a dm. But I've created a new email id specifically for this: blsreddy at outlook dot com. There's no danger of me being spammed this way. Thank you for taking the time to help me out gaurav. I appreciate it a lot. Also the workshop manual in pdf is a godsend.
Old 30th May 2024, 12:10   #26
BHPian

Hi, glad to see your car got an upgraded drive capability. I have the Tiago 2021 bs6 petrol. Anything you could suggest for my car so that I can overcome a sluggish AMT, or re tune the engine to change gears at 2000rpm instead of the current 3000rpm? Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 13:24   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
Hi, glad to see your car got an upgraded drive capability. I have the Tiago 2021 bs6 petrol. Anything you could suggest for my car so that I can overcome a sluggish AMT, or re tune the engine to change gears at 2000rpm instead of the current 3000rpm? Thanks
Hi Lemedico, I will try to explain the complex relation of torque, fuel, gears, and power in simple terms here. As you will be aware Engine RPM is the speed at which engine crankshaft rotates. If your engine is not in any gear or in other words there is no load on engine then a little fuel can make it rotate a high RPM. For example in Neutral gear when you slightly press accelerator, engine starts to rev fast but when you are in first gear that same amount of accelerator press gives very little RPM increase. Now we add gears in system to get torque from engine in same RPM band. Torque is what makes your wheels to rotate. High torque means you can move more amount of weight. On side notes, BHP or HP is the amount of power you get to quickly move the load so when it comes to pickup, it is the BHP that counts. So, if you want to get gears changed faster say at 2000 rpm instead of 3000 rpm then you need to increase the fuel amount at lower RPM which will decrease the efficiency of engine but increase torque at lower rpms. Every gear change map is generally based on torque. Everything in engine is compromise between various parameters. Increase one thing and you will get other decreased. For example in my case, I was able to enjoy a very quick responsive car but at the cost of 2kmpl mileage loss and higher engine temperature. If your car supports multiple map modes (City mode, Sports mode, Eco mode) then you can just change the driver's wish map to get quick gear changes at one mode by increasing fuel flow while keeping other modes OEM so that you can switch them based on your mood. The good thing about petrol engines is that more fuel you put in engine, more cooler the engine runs. But keep in mind that changing gears at lower RPMs will increase strain on gear box and fuel pump.

To conclude my points: it is possible to get gears changed at lower RPMs by enngine tuning and transmission tuning but you should do it only if- a. you have fuel pump and injectors capable to supply more fuel at lower rpms as pressure in fuel pump is built by engine rotation. b. you have strong gears that can bear high amount of torque at low rpms.
Old 30th May 2024, 16:10   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurvr View Post
Hi Everyone following my posts, yesterday I was able to convert all the pages of Tata Tiago/Tigor workshop manual into a pdf. Please find below the link for your reference:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v0y...ew?usp=sharing
Thank you so much for this Gaurav. I was looking for this for quite sometime. The local TASS was not very helpful and in general did not find many who have a Tigor. I did not know the same manual is used for Tiago and Tigor else would have checked that way.
Old 30th May 2024, 16:36   #29
BHPian

You are welcome. Can you guys tell when my status will change from newbie? I am fairly new on this forum.
Old 30th May 2024, 17:08   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Is there any possibility to get a Tata Nexon XZ+ BCM version file? Specifically for a model upto May-June-2019. A model with 4 star safety rating.

Why I'm looking for it? Mine is a refresh from July-August 2019. This was a 5* Gncap rated car, and in order to achieve this - they removed the speed sensing auto-door locks. Just for 6 months. From the 2020 facelift onwards - the car got the auto-locks again!!

I want the auto-locks and I feel the older version of the BCM will bring them back. The automatic controller still exists in my car also - as the door-locks auto-unlock when the car is shutdown. Stupid Tata really.

If anyone can help, that will be great. Its the newest car in my garage and the other 2 cars that are 10 years old each - have auto door-locks. Cruel joke.

Most Viewed