Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2022, 12:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

My Hyundai Creta 1.4-Turbo DCT problem | Bad service experience | Parts delay

Thanks to Harpreet Singh for sending this in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Quote:
Hi,

I bought a Hyundai Creta DCT Turbo 1.4 dual-tone from Joshi Hyundai Mohali on 26 Nov 2020. All was good until 12/02/2022 when I was driving home in Chandigarh and saw the engine light come up and a transmission error message displayed on the screen. I drove back home and parked my car. In the morning I woke up and decided to go to the Joshi Hyundai, Mohali for a check-up and realized that I am unable to reverse my car, I shifted my gear shifter to reverse, and nothing happened then I put it in drive mode, Although I was able to drive it but was I still unable to reverse it. Moreover, there was another fault which I came to know about. Usually, in comfort mode, the car would go to 2000 rpm and then shift to the next gear but now it was moving to 4000 rpm before shifting the gear.

I took the vehicle to Joshi Hyundai Mohali on 13/02/2022. There the person at the reception asked someone to get the car checked but only after 2 hours did the technician comes with a tablet and run the diagnostics and get the error code P060194 (internal control module memory checks some error). Up until this point in time, there was no surveyor assigned to me, the technicians were only checking the car as asked by some guy from the reception. So, I asked the technician what exactly the fault is, they replied that they were not sure right now but first I need to be assigned a surveyor as it’s been 3 hours now in the service centre. Then I went to the reception again, and Jaspreet Singh was assigned to me as a surveyor. He brought the technician Rajesh and he told me that they would need some time to check which part is causing this fault and asked me to call back at 5.30 pm and said, “Sir be relaxed, will check it properly and will inform you the status”. At 5.15 I received the call from the surveyor Jaspreet Singh, and he handed over the call to Rajesh, who asked me to come to the service centre and would discuss what was needed to be done next. I told him that I am on my way but asked him to at least tell me what was wrong. He told me, “Please come and will discuss”. On reaching the agency I was told that there is a problem with the clutch accumulator and that the assembly needs to be replaced. And added that it’s a known issue with the 1.4DCT turbo and they have received a similar fault for a few more cars earlier and the company has a No Question asked Policy to replace the part, but it will take 10 to 12 days to get it replaced as they must get the approval and get the part shipped.

I was in a great shock that if the company was already well aware of the faulty part, then shouldn’t the company have recalled the vehicle and replaced the part on its own saving the trouble for the customer. As this is the only vehicle I own, I had no option but to leave my car with the service centre. Then, when I would call the surveyor to check the status, I didn’t receive any positive response as he kept on saying, “Sir, the part has been shipped but we don’t know when it will arrive”. I went to the service centre myself on 21stFeb and there the store guy told me that the ETA is 24th Feb. So, I went on 24th Feb once again and still they had no answer for the shipment of the part. On that day I met Mr Harman, The Surveyor's head. He also told me that He was personally checking the case as the part was shipped on 18th Feb 2022. I asked them again, “Even if the part is coming from Chennai and was shipped on 18th Feb but today is 24th Feb, it should be here by now”. They were speechless. Today, as I am writing this email it's 25th Feb and I went to the service centre again and still, they have not received the part and are not sure when they might get it for me.

You can well imagine the plight of the customer who spent upwards of 20 lakh rupees on a car, and it breaks down after 29,000 km. I read the online forums and it’s a known issue with the Creta 1.4 turbo that had been manufactured before December of 2020. I had bought my car on 26th November 2020, if a well-reputed company like Hyundai knew that the part was faulty and had to be replaced, they could have recalled the cars and got the part replaced on their own. In that case, although the anger of getting a faulty part would be there on seeing Hyundai acting proactively calling in for the replacement as good customer service would have shown that they care for their customers. Here I am sitting without my car for more than 12 days now and with no avail of insight. Me and 5 people from my family and friends circle have purchased Creta due to my recommendation but now after my appalling experience with Hyundai I think I have done a mistake, will never buy or suggest Hyundai to anyone again.

Thanks.
My Hyundai Creta 1.4-Turbo DCT problem | Bad service experience | Parts delay-hyundaicretatransmission1.jpeg

My Hyundai Creta 1.4-Turbo DCT problem | Bad service experience | Parts delay-hyundaicretatransmission2.jpeg

My Hyundai Creta 1.4-Turbo DCT problem | Bad service experience | Parts delay-hyundaicretatransmission3.jpeg

My Hyundai Creta 1.4-Turbo DCT problem | Bad service experience | Parts delay-hyundaicretatransmission4.jpeg

RahulNagaraj is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 09:40   #2
BHPian

Re: My Hyundai Creta 1.4-Turbo DCT problem | Bad service experience | Parts delay

Thanks for sharing.

Nothing from the above post seems like out-of-the-world terrible service.

In an ideal world, yes, the car would have been recalled. But with India's pathetic consumer protection laws, that's never going to happen.

Their no questions asked replacement policy is still a lot better than what VW/Skoda offer their customers.

1 week for a part to arrive is not ideal, but again, compared to other brands horror stories I've read on Team-BHP, doesn't seem that bad.

Reading similar incidents on Team-BHP has convinced me to blacklist Skoda and Jeep as brands to never touch, with VW and Tata also being put in the 'better to avoid' category.

Hyundai service may not be as good as Toyota, but I wouldn't classify them as being below-average either.
kadanaJ is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 09:48   #3
BHPian

Re: My Hyundai Creta 1.4-Turbo DCT problem | Bad service experience | Parts delay

It is shameful that they have not recalled the car when they know that it is a common problem. It may cost money for the company, but it also costs time and peace for customers. Hyundai should recall without any delay. Regarding shipping parts from Chennai, I do not know why they do not keep some of these non-regular parts in local warehouse. For my earlier i10 also, on 2-3 occassions I had to wait for a week or more for the part to be shipped from Chennai. This was one reason why I went to Maruti for my next car. Future doesn't look good for this company in India.
NagaBond is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 10:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
Thanks for sharing.

Nothing from the above post seems like out-of-the-world terrible service.

In an ideal world, yes, the car would have been recalled. But with India's pathetic consumer protection laws, that's never going to happen.

Their no questions asked replacement policy is still a lot better than what VW/Skoda offer their customers.
Since it’s under warranty it was under no question asked replacement, would have been different if out of warranty.

At least with in my friends circle VAG has replaced straight away while in warranty.

Let’s call a spade a spade, if you are making your customer run around multiple times and still does not give a proper response and timeline it is a terrible customer service - whether it’s Skoda, VW, BMW, Jeep, Hyundai or even Toyota. Period.

On another note, who kept that spare parts on the seat without any paper or layer - my heart would have sunk there itself. Hope it’s the owner for taking the picture and not service center.

Last edited by sunikkat : 2nd March 2022 at 10:54.
sunikkat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 16:07   #5
BHPian

Thanks for sharing. I am also on one of the ill-fated Creta Turbo Failure customers; my Oct 2020 DCT failed last year but I had a better service experience than yours:

1. I was given a loaner car (Venue) for the period of replacement
2. The replacement was completed within a week and I had my car back.

The issue has not recurred again and I count myself lucky that the DCT failed close to my house when I was alone in the car with no luggage, many have not been so fortunate.

It is also clear that Hyundai India Motors Limited is well aware of this issue for the Pre Dec 2020 batch of Cretas but is not issuing a recall for saving their brand image, considering the low proportion of DCT buyers vs Creta buyers. I do not see a solution except united legal efforts, which has not been forthcoming.

My advice to other Creta DCT Pre Dec 2020 owners is -

1. Be mentally prepared for the DCT to fail
2. If possible request a pre-emptive replacement
3. Take the extended warranty for peace of mind and preservation of the car's value

Here's a link to the thread on my DCT failure:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...n-failure.html
iamitp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 17:21   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Since it’s under warranty it was under no question asked replacement, would have been different if out of warranty.

At least with in my friends circle VAG has replaced straight away while in warranty.
Off-topic, but in my friends circle we have noticed a difference in service between the 2 VAG brands.

The VW owners are mostly quite happy.

Skoda customers are extremely unhappy. I've gotten feedback that even for replacements that are supposed to be under warranty, they have to argue a lot with the service centres to get things done, and then the service guys act as if they're doing the customer a favour by replacing parts under warranty.

I know people who love the new Slavia, but are waiting to buy the VW Virtus, because they think buying a Skoda is risky.

It seems strange considering they're the essentially same company, but that's the VW vs Skoda feedback I've gotten.
kadanaJ is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks