View Poll Results: Your choice?
OE Parts 117 51.32%
Non-OE Parts 12 5.26%
Depends 99 43.42%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2022, 01:27   #31
BHPian

Re: Should you buy non-OEM spare parts for your car?

In India i think its best to stick with OEM or OEM supplier parts.

While in the US i have used Napa parts and those have been running trouble free for a long time now. Stuff like suspensions, CV axles, brakes etc.
Old 9th March 2022, 02:00   #32
BHPian

I voted for depends because for any electrical/electronic/mechanical part which is crucial to the functioning of the car I do not go after market. Ex: Wiring looms and Tie rods, axles.

Certain stuff like bulbs, alloys and some visual enhancements, aftermarket products sometimes superseed the OE spec. Ex: Automotive expert's lighting for headlights, people drive all the way from JH for this setup though it costs a bomb. What about some nice GTR or BBS alloys on a sedan or What about a brawny Fuel/Rhino alloy with BF Goodrich tyres on a Thar. Those look cool right?

Hence I rest my case
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 18:33   #33
BHPian

https://www.ftpmotorsport.com.tw/pro...13-intake-pipe

https://www.ftpmotorsport.com.tw/pro...ipe-boost-pipe

https://www.wagner-tuning.com/produc...001071-11.html

https://www.kwsuspensions.net/produc...street_comfort

https://www.powerflex.co.uk/product-...rt+/12546.html

https://setyre.com.sg/products/rims/bbs/ch-r

and some aesthetic parts.

Have no issues with quality aftermarket parts.

Wouldn't want to cheap out though on non OEM parts of unknown origin
Old 10th March 2022, 14:24   #34
BHPian

If it has to do something with the performance of the vehicle, I won't buy any local or non-oem part.
satchit_bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 00:19   #35

I had a kind of mixed experience with these NON-OE parts.
Our Alto will complete 18 years this August and she has started to show her age with panels rattling, minute scratches on the body and the interior and degraded ride quality. Performance is more or less the same(won't expect much from an alto).

Well..while a routine service couple of months back from a local and trusted FNG (I don't trust the guys at MASS here),We got to know that the front right wheel has a bit of horizontal play. Checked the other one and it was perfectly fine. Didn't seem much of a big issue but the mechanic warned us that it can develop into one if not taken care of. The culprit here was the lower arm. Dad told me that he had replaced it a month ago from another FNG and the guys over there did install an aftermarket one and my dad not knowing much about these things fell into their trap. The joint which connects to the chassis was busted already. Got it replaced with a MGP one.

On the other hand ,I had good experiences with parts like aftermarket drive belt which was changed two years back and is still functioning great without any major signs of wear. Same goes for the brake pads,radiator cap and wiper blades. All of these cost less (about 15-20%) than their Genuine counterparts but are still functioning at par with them.
I agree that these might fail early than the OE, but for now ,I am satisfied with them!

IMO..as mentioned many times before in the thread, go for NON OEM only if availability or other factors are an issue or the part does not contribute to the functionality of the vehicle. If OEM is available, then do not compromise reliability just for savings.

[P.S.This is my first post here so Mods kindly forgive me for any mistakes or typos.]
TheLxGuy69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 19:15   #36
BHPian

I think this is a tad limiting. Perhaps there needs to be another option on this poll - non-auto brand but from genuine Tier 1 OE suppliers.

Let me explain.

I’ve consulted with multiple auto components/industry companies (Lumax, MRF, Shell, Steelbird, etc) and stood on the production lines as components roll off. At times there are literally two identical lines running in parallel, with the same manual intervention at certain point i.e. one person managing two lines, on on either side of him/her. One line being OEM, the other being AM (after market). It is literally the same product for the same automobile but one line gets one type of packaging and is sent to Maruti/TVS/Tata, etc while the other with a different packaging gets sent to the retailer.

The trouble lies elsewhere. Consumers have been fleeced by crooked mechanics and retailers by pushing cheap and spurious products (ripoff/fake products abound) for so long now that the consumer only seems to get peace of mind if he/she sees the ‘MGP’ packaging. But if you get hold of genuine OE supplier (authorised suppliers to OEMs) spares such as from Denso, Lumax, Subros, Minda, Gabriel and so on, there’s really no problem with it. And these days it’s easier than before as brands are taking great effort to ensure their reputations are protected by going after spurious products themselves.

So I’d say do your due diligence, go to a reputed store, pick up the part you need from a Tier 1 OE supplier and don’t lose too much sleep over it.
RT13 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 11:18   #37
BHPian

2013 ecosport tdci 64k kms

Front left wheel has play in 3 and 9o clock position.
Ford ASC said inner tie rod has to be replaced for 4.5k a piece. If i replace both left and right inner rods (for 9k) my service advisor said I might as well get a new steering rack for 15k.

Monroe inner tie rods are 500 rs a piece, should I go with Ford or Monroe? 500 vs 4500 (single oe tie rod) vs 9000 (both oe inner tie rods) vs 15000 ( entire steering rack)
Old 30th September 2022, 16:37   #38
BHPian

Voted Depends.

I'm in a similar dilemma with a few parts for my Compass - my recent pre-loved acquisition.
I just got 1 service and 1 major work done at the Jeep service center in Pune and decided that I won't send my car there again. For Jeep Compass owners living in Pune, they'd understand immediately. The service quality is substandard, Jeep knows about this and has decided not to do anything about it. Sad story for existing owners.
Good thing is that Jeep sells spares OTC - at least that's what I understand.

A certain well known website/app stocks a lot of Jeep Compass parts too which are considerably cheaper - like minimum half the cost of OEMs.
Two companies in consideration for spares - OTR and Starke. Of these, OTR parts are too cheap. Going by the opening post, I won't touch those at all.

Now, if I will get Starke parts or go with OEM is the dilemma I'm in. These are Tie Rod Ends, Inner Tie Rods and Link Rods we're talking about. I'm more tilted towards OEM currently as the opening post does put things in good perspective. There's no point using some brand for a few thousand kms and having to spend again on parts and labor. It'll end up costing the same over a span of 20-30k kms.

Non-OEMs are okay for wiper blades, coolant, oils, grease etc. IMO. I'd plonk in a HID/LED bulb as well that's non-OEM. But major engine parts, mechanicals etc. HAVE to be OEM.
Another reason why I won't go with a non-OEM for the parts mentioned above are the lack of reviews or feedback on those parts even with FNGs.

A Maruti/Hyundai may still accept a "foreign body", I'm not sure if it is the same with slightly premium and luxury cars.
Old 30th September 2022, 18:32   #39
Senior - BHPian

For my etios, it's 100% oem all the way
For my indica, oem if the oe parts are available within 30% of branded parts price. Else branded parts from good vendors (eg lumax and minda yes, globex no)
Old 11th June 2024, 10:42   #40

That would depend on which part you are trying to purchase.

Maruti, Hyundai, Mahindra has reasonably priced OE parts. So it doesn't make much sense to sway away to another brand for spares and also most parts are readily available at most of their store.

Honda and Toyota These brands make it very very difficult to find OEM parts over the counter.

My experience with Toyota parts connect

A couple of days ago I called up Toyota parts connect(Toyota Parts Connect - Harsha Hyderabad). I needed a clutch set. Engine oil, oil filter, coolant, brake oil, air filter, and transmission oil. The manager straight up denied availability of clutch plates and said he needed a week for it to be arranged. Also informed They wouldn't be selling coolant and brake fluid That can only be topped up at the ASS. When my mechanic sent his folk to the service center Somehow magically clutch plate are available.

Toyota parts are priced at a handsome premium. Makes a lot of sense to shift to OEM or OES brands

Air filters ,fuel filters, Spark plugs Comes from DENSO
Coolant and brake oil comes from Golden cruiser
Gabriel For all suspension part (I would suggest to

Could tell the OES brands for the belts

The BELT V (FOR FAN AND ALTERNATOR) in Toyota costs 4800
Timing belt cost 3,800
Lower arms cost 10-15k

I Know these aren't parts that are regularly replaced and paying the premium is fine but if there is an alternative which offers the same quality. I would love to switch to an OES part.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks