Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2022, 11:03   #31
BHPian

Re: Paint defects on brand-new cars

Once a person understands that there can be such defects on our cars/bikes, we go and want to see (I did as well). Till that time we are ignorant and happy.

This detailer has done nothing but good to himself!

Atleast 5 out of 1000 people might have lost their sleep over these minor imperfections and would be feeling the deep need to get their cars perfectly finished!

10 or of 1000 new car buyers who are going to get delivery might now be looking for such minor imperfections, possibly frowning on the delivery of the new car!

15 of 1000 might have now lost trust on the manufacturer's paint job!

Eventually by showing this, the "influencer" has done his job and probably influenced the crowd to spend their hard earned money! (if not, this thread would not exist).
After giving a thought to this, I've come to a conclusion, "at times, ignorance is a bliss"
iamahunter is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 21:23   #32
BHPian

Do we have data on since when Indian auto manufactures switched over to water based paint. My 2008 Verna I am sure it has oil based paint because even if I dry wipe it with a dirty rag there is no scratch whereas my 2019 Nexon although has good paint finish with no imperfections is not as hard wearing as the verna paint and I have to baby it and very gently lift off the bird poop by pouring lots of water and not applying too much pressure with a very clean microfiber cloth to avoid hairline scratches.
BeingHuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 11:57   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingHuman View Post
Do we have data on since when Indian auto manufactures switched over to water based paint. My 2008 Verna I am sure it has oil based paint because even if I dry wipe it with a dirty rag there is no scratch whereas my 2019 Nexon although has good paint finish with no imperfections is not as hard wearing as the verna paint and I have to baby it and very gently lift off the bird poop by pouring lots of water and not applying too much pressure with a very clean microfiber cloth to avoid hairline scratches.
Primer and base coats are water based. Clear coats are solvent based. Its probably due to the softer clear coat. Softer clear coat causes marring. Common among most manufacturers upto 20 lakhs range.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 19:58   #34
BHPian

Sometime back in 2007 companies like Ford and others switched over to eco-friendly paints.https://www.reliableplant.com/Read/1...gy-goes-global
Old 22nd March 2022, 18:06   #35
BHPian

Majority of the manufacturers (actually all of them now) are certified in the required Quality Control processes including Six Sigma. It means that the end product is supposed to be 'defect free'.

We only come to know about these kind of defects when we are actually inquisitive enough to find them out or professionals (as they like to call them) like Cars24 , Spinny tell us that there are paint or any such defects.

The experience with the cars 'skin' (as someone gave an anomaly between human skin and car skin earlier) depends on a lot of factors e.g.
  1. Quality of Paint
  2. Quality of Sheet Metal
  3. Process (Manual versus automated)

The above mentioned points are supposed to take care of the end user experience for long term so while we might not be responsible for our own manufacturing and can only be responsible for the upkeep. The cars on the other hand are supposed to be defect free (again six sigma and other such quality oriented processes).

We are living in an era where we have made such an advancement in manufacturing that Japanese manufacturers have to be 'specifically told' to manufactures defects in the cars otherwise they are supposed to be defect free.

A car coming especially from a Japanese manufacturer with defects is simply NOT ACCEPTABLE in today's world so when such things happen, it only raises a doubt on 'Made in India' tag. No offence to anyone but Quality Control is a culture and not a process and it takes time to develop that culture. No amount of training can make sure that you can develop such a culture before time.

Car Manufacturers should learn to develop the quality culture and it will eventually show up in the product in terms of durability and adaptability (to changing ownership as well as driving conditions).

I am a mechanical engineer (academically and in heart ;-)) and strongly believe that these kind of defects should have been things of the past by now.
achintatri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 16:01   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Look at the orange peel effect on our brand-new test Innova:
Attachment 2275921
Hi GTO,

I recently gave my Polo for repainting the front bumper (it had clear-coat peeling at the edges, covered in warranty). The service center did not do a great job - there was very visible orange peel effect on the paint. I tried to get them to redo the work, but they did not agree. Unfortunately, I can't look at the car now with the same emotion as before!

Is it possible to lightly sand the paint down using a 2000 grit emery paper, and then hand polish the surface by myself? What are the risks?
vedirah is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks