Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2022, 05:05   #16
BHPian

re: BMW radio frequency interference | Smartkey doesn't work in specific areas | EDIT: Solved on page 2

Haven't once a problem with comfort access in 7 years of ownership.Interesting though!
Old 24th January 2022, 17:06   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: BMW radio frequency interference | Smartkey doesn't work in specific areas | EDIT: Solved on page 2

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

Quote:
Hi GTO,

The police use 860 MHz EDACS and 400 Mhz for priority communication on APCO25 radios.

It is 100% an interference issue, especially due to the key and the police frequency overlapping.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 10:59   #18
BHPian

With so much hullabaloo on spectrum allocation, how could such interfering frequencies be present? Anything near about the police or other forces frequencies should be strictly restricted and not be allowed for civilian use. Am I missing something here?
sadnabrina is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 17:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!
Just a thought - whenever a key identification issue occur, after placing the key near the receiver cover the whole area with tin foil effectively trying to create a Faraday cage- could help prevent external interference.
maddyg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 09:09   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
A crazy jugaadu idea that just might work: surround the key with Aluminium foil while holding it extremely close to the console/receiver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhanda Das View Post
Another option could be using a pouch or some aluminium foil
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyg View Post
Just a thought - whenever a key identification issue occur, after placing the key near the receiver cover the whole area with tin foil
You guys ROCK! Thank you. This worked like a charm.

Experienced a dead zone at the signal after Ravissant @ Colaba last night. Based on your suggestion, I had kept a sheet of aluminium foil in the glovebox. Stuck the key to the steering console, covered the key + area with the foil and voila! The car started instantly

The area was packed with police vehicles due to Lata Mangeshkar's demise.

Last edited by GTO : 7th February 2022 at 09:10.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 10:46   #21
BHPian

Re: BMW radio frequency interference | Smartkey doesn't work in specific areas | EDIT: Solved on pag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhanda Das View Post
I am not very familiar with the technicalities but you can try the old method of holding the smart key to your head to amplify the signal.
Could someone please explain how this works?
People familiar with the safari storme keys would know that the range is hardly about 10 metres. But when I hold the key below my jaw or on my temples, the car responds from 20metres at least. I always thought it was stupid, part of me thinks the same even now, but I can't argue with the fact that it works every single time.

Quote:
Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in.

The police use 860 MHz EDACS and 400 Mhz for priority communication on APCO25 radios.

It is 100% an interference issue, especially due to the key and the police frequency overlapping.
This seems to be Mumbai specific, HYD cops are on 155.500Mhz

My car keys run on 443.xx but I hear a buzz walkie talkies tuned to 446.446MHz also. Anyone know why this spill into other fequencies?

Quote:
You guys ROCK! Thank you. This worked like a charm.

Experienced a dead zone at the signal after Ravissant @ Colaba last night. Based on your suggestion, I had kept a sheet of aluminium foil in the glovebox. Stuck the key to the steering console, covered the key + area with the foil and voila! The car started instantly

The area was packed with police vehicles due to Lata Mangeshkar's demise.
BMWs hate cops Didn't we know that already :P
viXit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 21:49   #22
BHPian

Re: BMW radio frequency interference | Smartkey doesn't work in specific areas | EDIT: Solved on pag

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Could someone please explain how this works?
People familiar with the safari storme keys would know that the range is hardly about 10 metres. But when I hold the key below my jaw or on my temples, the car responds from 20metres at least. I always thought it was stupid, part of me thinks the same even now, but I can't argue with the fact that it works every single time.
Apparently, it has something to do with the frequency of water in our heads. It also seems that the range of the keys is somehow related to the amount of water near them. Maybe you will find the following video useful :-

Chhanda Das is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 00:14   #23
BHPian

Hello,

I am sorry that my post isnt specific to the BMW radio frequency and its Fob, but i think users here will be able to help me. I have attached herewith the inside of my Audi A6 key , Can anyone identify how much mhz does this work on. This is a 2015 manufacture Audi A6, that i have just bought pre owned from a close relative . This is unfortunately with just 1 key since the other one is lost, so i need to get anew one made or bought from Aliexpress or a similar website.

Also if there are any places that can make / program the keys for cheap in Mumbai that would help. Getting a new one seems to cost a bom where i asked.

With Regards
Manish Kapadia.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW radio frequency interference | Smartkey doesn't work in specific areas | EDIT: Solved on page 2-audi2.jpeg  

BMW radio frequency interference | Smartkey doesn't work in specific areas | EDIT: Solved on page 2-audi1.jpeg  

Old 23rd May 2023, 08:26   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Been using the car a lot around Bombay, and I keep finding "dead zones".

1. Kamla Mill parking lot. Completely dead. Have to remove the aluminium foil that is now permanently parked in the glovebox, wrap it around the key + steering column, then press the start button.

2. My friend bought a C300d on Sunday. Dead zone at Auto Hangar, Prabhadevi! Aluminium foil to the rescue.

God bless the contributors on this thread who came up with this totally effective jugaad solution.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 09:40   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

My friend bought a C300d on Sunday. Dead zone at Auto Hangar, Prabhadevi! Aluminium foil to the rescue.
Haha - imagine the irony of it. Mercedes wouldn’t start at Auto Hangar (one of its prime showrooms). Poor Merc guys - there’s little they can do about it. Must be because of that cop van that’s permanently stationed on the road opposite it.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 10:01   #26
BHPian

A similar thing had happened to me when I had gone to visit Tesla Tower in Canberra from Sydney. My Toyota Camry refused to open with the key remote and I had to open the door with the key. I remember thinking that I would have to manage like that for the whole trip and would need to get it checked once back in Sydney. However, at the next place I stopped the car, the remote worked flawlessly. Then i realized that it must have been some interfence due to proximity to Tesla Tower.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks