Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2022, 09:52   #16
BHPian

Re: Restoring my grandfather's 1995 Maruti Esteem

This is wonderful, I still remember the first time you wrote about this T1 when I started my thread last year, very happy to see that it has come out quite well in all original form.
Hoping to see the Estate next in all its glory.
sohanbala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2024, 12:03   #17
BHPian

Hello all,

It has been a long time since I’ve written anything about this car. Since it’s been nearly 2 years since this thread went live, now seems to be a good time to let you know about how the car has been doing.

With the Merc throwing tantrums occasionally, the Ertiga meeting with a minor accident, the Ikon needing constant attention, the slow progress with the Tata Estate project and the purchase of a new Innova Hycross, I will admit that the Esteem has been neglected. I had given the keys to someone and would pay him money for fuel every month. However, he didn’t do a very good job of keeping the car up and running. The car suffered a couple of minor shunts in which the mirror broke and the bumper got gashed.

However, I am now back to taking care of it myself and will go ahead and fix all that is wrong with it slowly.

The first order of business was to check the essentials. Dirty engine bay, but fluid levels seemed to be in order:

Restoring my grandfather's 1995 Maruti Esteem-img_7741.jpeg

Restoring my grandfather's 1995 Maruti Esteem-img_9217.jpeg

Up next, I drove to the nearby petrol bunk and got a tankful of petrol:

Restoring my grandfather's 1995 Maruti Esteem-img_9133.jpeg

Then, I took it for a spin on the state highway. It drove quite well for its age. Despite the neglect, it still has the pick-up of an Esteem. Pulls effortlessly in all gears. Overtaking on an undivided dual carriageway is also not much of a task for this car.

Restoring my grandfather's 1995 Maruti Esteem-img_9223.jpeg

Restoring my grandfather's 1995 Maruti Esteem-img_9137.jpeg

The Esteem also met the new kid on the block, the Innova Hycross ZX o. This car made a trip from Delhi to Bihar to meet the oldie. How far have we come in terms of technology. From no power steering in 1995 in what was supposed to be an executive car, to a fully loaded family MPV in 2024.

Restoring my grandfather's 1995 Maruti Esteem-img_7745.jpeg

Now to the negative part, here’s what is currently wrong with the car:

1. The Carb needs a service. It’s been consuming too much fuel.

2. The exhaust is blowing. Rather than patching it, I will replace the entire system this time.

3. It is crying out for a new set of tyres.

4. The AC gas seems to have leaked.

5. The various cosmetic issues, broken plastics.

I am in a dilemma whether to repaint the whole car or not. On one hand, the fact that it’s in original paint makes me want to keep the ‘rat rod’ appearance. But on the other hand, I really want to make it look more presentable.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 21st August 2024, 10:44   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
Hello all,

I am in a dilemma whether to repaint the whole car or not. On one hand, the fact that it’s in original paint makes me want to keep the ‘rat rod’ appearance. But on the other hand, I really want to make it look more presentable.
I was about to PM you regarding your Esteem. It had been a long time since you had updated the thread. So, the dilemma between original paint or repaint. Since you are not selling the car, and the current appearance not giving you any bragging rights, its better you repaint it. However, please do it in the ASC, and not by some roadside painters. Or source the original paint code , obtain the colour, and then get it repainted at a proper paint booth.

P.S. It still looks amazing for a 90s car, and which had been basically exposed to the elements of the weather for many years.
Mitadru is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2024, 11:34   #19
BHPian

I would respray the car retaining the original color (I presume that you are not thinking from the economics perspective). While you may have a mechanically perfect car, nothing brings our the joy when you see a freshly painted one.

I second @Mitadru on getting it done at the ASC.
shashi792 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2024, 12:20   #20

Quote:

My vote would be to for a complete exterior and interior makeover. Paint, new trims etc. Also there is a thread already on the forum on the esteem restoration if I remember correctly. Search for that

First make a list of the parts you would need after the repaint. All the cosmetic bits, trims, rubber parts etc. Parts are hard to find and you'll have to search for them.

Get it painted at a proper paint booth and make sure good quality paint is used.
Always remember that a good basework equals excellent paint finish. Majority of the roadside or even fngs for that matter cut corners while doing basework and then it only adds to the pathetic finish at the end

For now, get the carburettor cleaned and tuned from a proper mechanic who knows how to disassemble a carburettor completely. It is sadly a dying art. Here in my city, majority mechs, don't touch a carburettor, let alone open, clean and tune it . Use a carburettor cleaner spray. Makes the job much easier.
VICTOR-MIKE is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2024, 13:36   #21
BHPian

Not an answer you want to hear - but forget the whole restoration done 2 years ago - and take a fresh honest call if you would like to keep it running.

Sometimes, we fail to evaluate on current conditions and needs - and are baised of the effort or expenses put in previously.

If you still want to keep it running, get a fresh paint - the car deserves it.
GreenerPlanet is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2024, 04:44   #22
BHPian

This car will look rather dashing in a full Nardo Grey paint job.
The color will definitely make the car stand out. A decent paintjob at FNG will set you back by about 25k.

If you plan to keep it for a while, do consider..
Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2024, 11:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion, cars are not " restore it, park it, forget it" items unless you're keeping them in a museum. They require daily care and running. As you've learnt. Restoring something and giving it to someone who is not going to treat it with the care it deserves is worse in my opinion than leaving it to rot.

In my opinion, if you can't find a way to ensure that the car is cared for on an ongoing basis, don't bother restoring it.
greenhorn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th August 2024, 19:45   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenerPlanet View Post
Not an answer you want to hear - but forget the whole restoration done 2 years ago - and take a fresh honest call if you would like to keep it running.

Sometimes, we fail to evaluate on current conditions and needs - and are baised of the effort or expenses put in previously.

If you still want to keep it running, get a fresh paint - the car deserves it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
In my opinion, cars are not " restore it, park it, forget it" items unless you're keeping them in a museum. They require daily care and running. As you've learnt. Restoring something and giving it to someone who is not going to treat it with the care it deserves is worse in my opinion than leaving it to rot.

In my opinion, if you can't find a way to ensure that the car is cared for on an ongoing basis, don't bother restoring it.
Thanks for your replies, guys!

Whatever you’ve said makes 100 percent sense. But the thing is, these cars are in a rather funny situation. They are too old and outdated to be used daily, but on the other hand, they haven’t quite attained a venerable status. The fact that I have multiple other cars to take care of doesn’t help matters either. This is exactly why most examples are being scrapped these days.

My idea is to keep them up and running in an acceptable condition without spending a fortune on them. Eventually, they will be rare and valuable enough to justify spending big bucks on them. By such time, they would also be eligible for VA number plates, thus making them immune from anti jalopy laws that are spreading across the nation.

I’ve learnt my lesson and would now make sure that the cars don’t end up in the wrong hands. I will personally ensure that they are looked after.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2024, 20:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

In that case i would say take off all the rare cosmetic original bits, badges, grill, bumper, lights, wheel coversetc, store them somewhere safe. Put generic local stuff and use it as a beater. Nothing irreplaceable is at risk. Body and Mechanicals can be sorted out later as long as fluid changes are done on time
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2024, 17:26   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Eventually, they will be rare and valuable enough to justify spending big bucks on them. By such time, they would also be eligible for VA number plates, thus making them immune from anti jalopy laws that are spreading across the nation.
While it may be true, esteems were way too common to become valuable beyond a point (not talking emotional value attached by the owner).

You have mentioned that as well - see how common they were on our roads!

Quote:
It will be good money after bad if you keep at it. Sometimes you just have to let go.

Best!
GP
GreenerPlanet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2024, 07:59   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For almost a 30 year old car and especially in our weather conditions the paint seems to have held up well and I would keep it that way as that is how such a factory original car should look (for its age). Only if there is rusting under the paint that needs attention its better to do a full body and paint work or else you should look at getting the bottom portion of the car painted from black to the original colour as the true value for such an old car with a single owner and low mileage is that it still has all the parts and fittings which came from the factory including the factory paint.

Cars are definitely more challenging to maintain as they have more moving parts but this being from the Maruti stable you still have some availability and they are not very expensive.

I have now got hands on a 1979 all factory original motorcycle but the challenge I am facing is that it was never manufactured in India and only 6 (supposedly) were ever made by the factory in Japan. So, getting parts for such a rare motorcycle is a different ballgame all together but luckily the previous two owners have preserved it well and now I have to do the same maybe for the next 44 years or so

Restoring my grandfather's 1995 Maruti Esteem-131069bad1014ab5a25d5eb0c142c730.jpeg

Do, keep us posted on what you decide to finally do and on the progress of the car going forward. All the best
SnS_12 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2024, 21:31   #28

Quote:
By such time, they would also be eligible for VA number plates, thus making them immune from anti jalopy laws that are spreading across the nation.
Sorry if it seems to be an odd question, how your car will be eligible for VA number plates after a time?

BTW I think first you should be prioritizing on maintaining it's mechanical bits and trim parts, since it can take a while to source parts. Facing such problem with our Getz.
stashing_GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2024, 22:35   #29

I had a great time reading through your post and had a great sensation of relief, as I always do when I read about cars being restored. There is always something magical when we see old cars huffing and puffing along the streets, especially when they are in pristine condition. I would love to see the car retain its original paint, not the tyres though. They need immediate attention, it's a matter of safety and there is no saying when it will burst. You use the car occasionally and seriously don't want it to be a nightmare. If I was in your position I would change the tyres, go through all the mechanical parts to see if they need replacement, and retain the original paint. Great car though and would also love to see the estate also get back to its former glory.
_Jasim_.__ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2024, 08:42   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stashing_GT View Post
Sorry if it seems to be an odd question, how your car will be eligible for VA number plates after a time?

The idea is unfathomably remote for most folks, but the timeframe I’m referring to is 2 decades hence. The car is already 30. 20 years later, it’ll be 50 and thus eligible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks