Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2021, 12:17   #1
BANNED

Airbag Light on without any reason

Greetings dear BHPians,
I own a 2007 Maruti Suzuki SX4, 2 months ago the airbag light switched on just before the 20,000 major service, I took it for service and the service advisor has told that there is no problem with the wiring, airbags and the pretensioner, he said that there is issue with the sensor(not the one which detects the crash) which costs 18,000 INR.
Airbag Light on without any reason-airbag.jpeg

He tried clearing the error 3 times, but it comes back.
Please advice dear BHPians, my car has to run a lot for the next 4-5 months and I will be busy. Moreover RC is expiring on 22nd August as she will complete 15 years, I want to extend it for next 5 years, during re-registration if the officer from RTO spots this light, he might declare the vehicle unfit and I have to let her go
This is urgent, please advice, should I change the sensors, if yes then please tell me where to find it.
Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd December 2021 at 18:41. Reason: Please proof read your post for typos / spell errors / punctuation before submitting it. Thanks.
Piyush Kanthak is offline   (7) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 23rd December 2021, 12:24   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Airbag Light on without any reason

Do you know what is the error code shown when the car was scanned?
Old 23rd December 2021, 12:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Suggest to check the wiring through a local auto electrician. Some small cable chewed by rats can also light up the panel. If he is not able to find out the issue, probably you can think of sensor replacement.

Sometime back, engine light turned up in my i10 and dealer asked 10k. It got resolved with 600 Rs with local auto electrician. A small cable issue due to rats was the cause.

Last edited by gkveda : 23rd December 2021 at 12:56.
gkveda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 14:42   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush Kanthak View Post
Greetings dear BHPians,
I own a 2007 Maruti Suzuki SX4, 2 months ago the airbag light switched on just before the 20,000 major service, I took it for service and the service advisor has told that there is no problem with the wiring, airbags and the pretensioner, he said that there is issue with the sensor <...snip...>
Attachment 2248710 it.
Thanks
Hello Piyush, first of all i am not an expert in this matter. But from the several DIY videos I have seen on YouTube, it could just that your clockspring assembly might have gone bad. If it's indeed your clockspring, then it should only cost you around 2-3 thousand. Attached is a similar video from chrisfix on YouTube.

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd December 2021 at 18:42. Reason: Quoted post edited. Capitalized I / DIY. Thanks.
sole_rider is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 15:31   #5
BANNED

Looks the airbag clock spring has gone bad. Check with an FNG.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 22:39   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Suggest to check the wiring through a local auto electrician. Some small cable chewed by rats can also light up the panel. If he is not able to find out the issue, probably you can think of sensor replacement.

Sometime back, engine light turned up in my i10 and dealer asked 10k. It got resolved with 600 Rs with local auto electrician. A small cable issue due to rats was the cause.
+1. Had this issue in my SX4 Petrol. Root cause was rat bite.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 23:05   #7
BANNED

Quote:
. Had this issue in my SX4 Petrol. Root cause was rat bite.
Actually I had this issue once and that was a rat bite, but this time Service centers say that there are no wire cuts
Old 24th December 2021, 23:21   #8
BHPian

Please check your car's settings. Some cars allow Passenger side airbags to be disabled. And when you disable it, the above icon lights up on dashboard.
This happened recently with me when my passenger airbag was disabled when car battery depleted. When I replaced the battery, the light stayed on. I checked my settings and re-enabled the airbag and voila! I light was gone.
dmplog is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 12:51   #9
BHPian

In Fiat Punto, Airbag failure warning mostly means car battery is about to go kaput. Basically sign of weak voltage from battery. After battery change, voila everything works as expected, no warnings.
Not sure if it’s same with other cars.
FiatDiesel is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 15:13   #10
PSG

I had a similar problem in my fluidic Verna.I got the clockspring replaced and it got resolved. I spent around 2500 Rs for same.
PSG is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 15:49   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I want to extend it for next 5 years, during re-registration if the officer from RTO spots this light, he might declare the vehicle unfit and I have to let her go
This should be among the least of your worries. If the issue is not sorted before re-test , simply apply a piece of black color tape/sticker/wrap or your favorite idol sticker over the warning light. End of story
maheshm619 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 19:04   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Do you know what is the error code shown when the car was scanned?
Sir, I don't have the photo of the code which was sent by the advisor, but it was related to the seatbelt pretensions.

Quote:
This should be among the least of your worries. If the issue is not sorted before re-test , simply apply a piece of black color tape/sticker/wrap or your favorite idol sticker over the warning light. End of story
That's a great suggestion
Well, some of the officers are strict, so we never know what can happen

Quote:
In Fiat Punto, Airbag failure warning mostly means car battery is about to go kaput. Basically sign of weak voltage from battery. Not sure if it’s same with other cars.
Well my car's battery is new and working perfectly, but i will still check it out. Thanks for the suggestion sir

Quote:
Looks the airbag clock spring has gone bad. Check with an FNG.
Yes sir, going to check it out, I don't know any FNG, so I am thinking of taking her to Pits or Go Mechanic

Last edited by Aditya : 26th December 2021 at 23:28. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Piyush Kanthak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 08:45   #13
BHPian

It happened with my 2010 SX4. There is a wire for the Airbag sensor below the front seats, might be the coupling has become loose. Get the coupling checked,if not ok Replace it.
HooghlyBoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 19:35   #14
BANNED

Update:
I got this problem fixed at an FNG at just ₹500,he just changed a relay which is connected to the passenger seatbelt. Glad I took his advice, otherwise I had to shell out 18K from my pocket.Worst service from Maruti Suzuki, Pratham motors
Piyush Kanthak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 14:32   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Update:
I got this problem fixed at an FNG at just ₹500,he just changed a relay which is connected to the passenger seatbelt. Glad I took his advice, otherwise I had to shell out 18K from my pocket.Worst service from Maruti Suzuki, Pratham motors
Hi Piyush,

Can you please share the FNG contact details? I am also facing the airbag warning light issue, as per the service centre contact coil needs replacement which will cost nearly Rs. 8000.

Many thanks,
Praveen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks