Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2021, 11:34   #16
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass Clutch failure at 15,000 Kms/1.5 yrs

If you cannot trust the dealership, try towing it to any trusted private workshops for more detailed inspection.

The dealership would be right in not opening your transmission to tell you that the clutch is worn out. It can be told just by taking the car out on a small TD.

If they were to open the transmission to just show that the clutch is gone, they’d still charge you a bomb for the labour.

I suggest that you go ahead and get it repaired and ask them for the pictures of worn out clutch kit, includes clutch plate, pressure plate and release bearing.

To Mod: If this is not appropriate, remove this content.

Should cost you around 30k INR for the service using original parts in private workshops. Should you choose any other brand, it should cost you around 22k INR.

Try comparing this cost to the estimate your dealer has given to make the final decision.
Old 19th December 2021, 12:13   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giribhai View Post
Reliability of a product has to be defined based on how a general user will experience it
Jeep is considered as unreliable vehicle outside India but in India people think it's a luxury brand.

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd December 2021 at 22:07. Reason: Quote trimmed. Don't quote large posts entirely. Grammar.
Turbojet is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 14:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, how’s the replaced one holding up.
Crossed 27k on odo, 13-14k kms post replacement, so barely 2k kms to go

But I am expecting it to last longer this time around since the awareness is hopefully better this time.
Honestly if I am not the only one driving, I have stopped bothering.

But in your case, like suggested, it could be a failure of something else which caused this but like I said unless you see the spares and damage, it will just be a guess.

Also like other Jeep owners have mentioned it could be an issue from the manufacturer too in which case you'll have to deal directly with Jeep India.

Last edited by shancz : 19th December 2021 at 14:19. Reason: added ccl
Old 19th December 2021, 14:41   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
By any chance, was the parking brake accidentally engaged and the car driven around which may have led to the extra wear during the trip.
Old 19th December 2021, 22:00   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry to hear your clutch issue. 2017 make had know issues with clutch and later it was fixed by Jeep. I am not sure if there is any known issues with 2019/2020 models.

Mine is 2018 September make and thankfully no issues so far, ODO is at 76K Kms.

Quote:

I have a Jeep Compass Limited Plus 2.0 Diesel, bought in Feb'20 and I had a pretty normal experience till 15,000 Kms that the car has done so far.

We thought we would get a call from Jeep and as the car is literally brand new whatever the issue is will be fixed, after two days we started calling people and finally got in touch with the service center that the car was sent to.
As per the purchase month mentioned by you, its already close to two years. And you would have done 2 services as well. So, unless you have raised any concern earlier, its difficult to get it replaced under warranty.

Normally for clutch issues, they do replace it under warranty if its within 6 months to 1 year range. Since it is outside this window for you, if they are not willing to replace it free of cost, you can push for some discounts on parts or labor charges. Hope you are able to get the best deal.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 22:03   #21
BANNED

Quote:

My dad was not driving, it was his driver
Was expecting this - you had not mentioned this in the OP.

It doesn’t take long to damage a clutch.

The reason for several failures of the clutch as indicated by the dealer is the tendency of
most users to ride the clutch as the engine of Compass tendency to stall if the clutch is not released properly. To prevent the stall, folks tend to ride the clutch more than they should - either by raising the rpm of the engine more than required or releasing the clutch more slowly than required - both these actions lead to load on the clutch.

Your driver would have ridden the clutch more than required. That is the only reason this would have happened.

As has been pointed out there are users on this forum going at 75000 kms on the original clutch. This indicates there is no fault with the clutch but it is with the usage.
EV NXT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 00:03   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Need your advice and support to raise this issue that I am facing with my almost new Jeep Compass.

I have a Jeep Compass Limited Plus 2.0 Diesel, bought in Feb'20 and I had a pretty normal experience till 15,000 Kms that the car has done so far.
Sorry to hear about issue with your brand new car.
Jeep had similar issues reported when it was launched. https://motoroctane.com/news/97967-j...adlamp-problem

I remember a customer even reported that his clutch was changed twice in less than 40K KM.

While as per rule, Jeep is not bound to do clutch replace ( comes under wearable part exclusions ), I hope you Jeep replaces it free of charge as a goodwill gesture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV NXT View Post

Your driver would have ridden the clutch more than required. That is the only reason this would have happened.

As has been pointed out there are users on this forum going at 75000 kms on the original clutch. This indicates there is no fault with the clutch but it is with the usage.
He mentioned earlier that in 15K running, most is driven by him.

Quote:
We are not novices in terms of driving that we will blow the clutch in 15,000 Kms. I mean, my last car - a Honda city - is still going good without any niggles on the clutch at 1,50,000 Kms even. We never let the clutch slip and this car has been driven with a lot of care, 95% of the time by myself.

Last edited by mytbhp_turbo : 20th December 2021 at 00:04. Reason: spell fix
mytbhp_turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 12:18   #23

Thanks everyone, I am getting the clutch repaired. For now, I believe that seems like the only sane approach to take considering I am anyway loosing money with the car stranded in the workshop.

I was a big promoter of the brand and would always suggest it to my friends and colleagues, heck at least two of my friends bought the car over an MG/Harrier based on me convincing them. This definitely will leave a bad taste for me and I would never ever buy/refer a Jeep again.

It's definitely disappointing to know that many people have faced similar issues and still Jeep isn't fixing it or even looking at/proving what caused the issue.

For people suggesting it was the driver that would have rode the clutch and that a small trip could damage the clutch like this, I just think that this proves the point. Jeep should advertise the car as "strictly for enthusiasts" or "The Car with the fragile clutch".

I also believe that people have the urge to not talk bad about the car that they own but I don't have that problem. So, even if I hold the car for a bit, I'll be vocal about it being unpredictable, unreliable and definitely not worth the money.
giribhai is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 00:12   #24
BHPian

Seems strange that MT gearboxes are failing so early in ownership. First a Tata Hexa and now such a premium vehicle as a Jeep Compass.

It looks like accepting this unreliability as the new normal is the only way forward.

We should also stop ranting about specific manufacturers as a community. Even 50L Toyota Fortuners are experiencing issues (for which nothing is being done).
Old 21st December 2021, 13:10   #25
BHPian

Disappointing to hear about your experience, but it is not at all surprising considering it's FCA losers you're dealing with. For the very small number of vehicles they sell, part failure rate is too high. The prices are high too which makes it worse. (Linea's front strut costs more than twice of Ciaz's)

My Linea's new front struts started making noise after just ~5000 km. When I wanted it to be replaced under warranty as my driving style is not bad at all (rear struts are still stock at ~78k km), they refused saying warranty is only for 6 months. I know of cases similar to this where Maruti has provided goodwill warranty replacement.

If you file a complaint with FCA care for warranty replacement, they'll forward it to the service center who denied it in the first place and let them take the final decision

Coming to the service center nincompoops, I can write a book on them.
They always end up overfilling the engine oil. They fill 3.5l for the T-Jet even though the manual clearly mentions 3.1l with oil filter. I'll have to waste my time and get the excess oil drained wasting the oil and my money too.
They end up misplacing some of the car's parts.
Last time they ruined my car's locking wheel bolts and it was a hassle to get it out. This time again they ended up over-tightening it so much that I couldn't loosen it even with my body weight. On top of this, they lie that they use torque wrench. Good thing that I had replaced the locking bolts with the regular ones before service.

At least, my car is an old pre-owned Linea and I knew what I was getting into when I bought one, so I can swallow it up to some extent. I am not sure how you have managed to cope considering that yours is a new overpriced Compass.

I can totally understand why people queue up and buy tried and tested brands as brands like FCA don't have much good to offer for an ordinary joe but offer grief and big bills in loads instead.

Last edited by theredliner : 21st December 2021 at 13:15.
theredliner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 21:44   #26

This is what the dealership has quoted for the clutch replacement:

Name:  65975FA696E548AB8278D87ECEB3BE81.jpeg
Views: 1983
Size:  13.8 KB
giribhai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 21:10   #27
BHPian

Quote:
This is what the dealership has quoted
That was expensive. I paid 360 euros for a complete LUK clutch kit for my car with double mass flywheel and release bearing.

That should be about 30,000 INR.

My clutch is heavy duty and 280 mm. The same clutch is used for the 4X4 models.

I had it fit in Poland for 79 euros.

Do you have to replace all those parts?
Indian2003 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 23:54   #28

Got the Car just an hour back, haven’t been able to drive but boy jeep dealers really are disappointing:

- I had asked for the replaced parts like 5 times and they didn’t send it across, earlier had asked for the pictures never got those.

- I had asked for the car to be dry cleaned - they didn’t do it and to top it all there are dirt stains all across the interior - on enquiring the driver (from the dealer) said that some people sat in the rear while driving the car to the workshop or something on those lines.

- Diesel was full tank and is now at quarter tank.

- somehow as I drove the car to park, it felt as if the acceleration was higher than before - could be because I was driving an ertiga for the last 15 days or something else or because it’s a new clutch.
giribhai is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 10:17   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

^ The cost appears to be similar to what we paid for the Renault duster 110 diesel. Considering the price of the vehicle , this is okay but having to pay for this for no reason is certainly not good.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 11:45   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- I had asked for the replaced parts like 5 times and they didn’t send it across,
- I had asked for the car to be dry cleaned
Diesel was full tank and is now at quarter tank.
- Make sure that you contact their workshop in charge and get the replaced parts, you have paid for them. Involve Jeep India too if its needed and aptly highlight why this happened in the first place. Tell them that you need the parts to see what went wrong. Don't relent on that.
The learning is way more important in the long run.

- Your dealer is particularly useless, after resolving this try to find another one if available nearby. While all this isn't unheard of but getting such unprofessional and careless response at a "premium" brand like Jeep after paying 25-30 lakhs for a product is bad and reflects poorly on Jeep India.

At least the car is back in service now and hope you get your resolution soon.
Good Luck

Last edited by shancz : 29th December 2021 at 11:51. Reason: ed
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks