Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2021, 01:07   #1
BHPian

Identifying the right spark plug | How to find the one compatible with my car

Hi Guys,

I am trying to replace spark plugs and planning to upgrade to iridium spark plugs. However, having real hard time to find out compatible spark plugs.

Owner's Manual doesn't list the specs of spark plugs. NGK or Denso websites doesn't list my car model (they mention other Chevy models though) and compatibility with their spark plugs. I pulled the old plug and got the model number, but can't reference it for compatibility with new spark plugs.

Can someone help how to find the right spark plug for a car's model.

Car: Chevrolet Sail UVA (Hatchback) 1.2 Petrol
Current Spark Plugs: Champion RA7YC 24102199
Old 4th October 2021, 08:12   #2
BHPian

re: Identifying the right spark plug | How to find the one compatible with my car

A quick search gave me this result https://www.sparkplug-crossreference...CHAMP_PN/RA7YC
Old 4th October 2021, 10:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Identifying the right spark plug | How to find the one compatible with my car

Slightly Off topic,
Will the application of Iridium Plugs have any real benefit here?

I do understand, iridium plugs are better (and expensive), and they have their place in High Performance engines.
However, in a 'normal' passenger car, will we really see any of it's benefits?
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 13:04   #4
BHPian

Re: Identifying the right spark plug | How to find the one compatible with my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravisghosh View Post
Hi Guys,

I am trying to replace spark plugs and planning to upgrade to iridium spark plugs. However, having real hard time to find out compatible spark plugs.
This is a waste of money, the price being many times that of normal plugs. My old car came with Denso iridium plugs as standard. They cost 30 euros each! Times 6 and it was 180 euros for 6 spark plugs.

I got the Brisk, all 6 for 30 euros. Brisk is the new name for the good old Iskra spark plugs from the Czech Republic. I never noticed any difference.

Brisk today delivers many of the sensors to the VAG Group.
Indian2003 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 15:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
Yes, I did check this. All the alternatives are not Iridium ones.

Also, I checked the following to no avail. Couldn't get a good reference for Chevrolet Sail UVA 1.2 Petrol.

https://www.denso.com/global/en/prod...l5.html#page=1

https://www.driven2automotive.com/bl...-finder-links/
Old 4th October 2021, 20:24   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
This is a waste of money, the price being many times that of normal plugs. My old car came with Denso iridium plugs as standard. They cost 30 euros each! Times 6 and it was 180 euros for 6 spark plugs.

I got the Brisk, all 6 for 30 euros. Brisk is the new name for the good old Iskra spark plugs from the Czech Republic. I never noticed any difference.

Brisk today delivers many of the sensors to the VAG Group.
Doesn't it help with engine smoothness in lower revs? I have the issue of power dropping due to AC and not so smooth transmission in lower gears. I read that Iridium can help with these kind of issues.
Old 4th October 2021, 21:22   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Slightly Off topic,
Will the application of Iridium Plugs have any real benefit here?

I do understand, iridium plugs are better (and expensive), and they have their place in High Performance engines.
However, in a 'normal' passenger car, will we really see any of it's benefits?
OEM spec will work properly in a stock engine. If a set of spark plugs are worn out , a new set can feel different but engine won't make more power using a more exotic spark plug.
Old 4th October 2021, 21:28   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Doesn't it help with engine smoothness in lower revs? I have the issue of power dropping due to AC and not so smooth transmission in lower gears. I read that Iridium can help with these kind of issues.
It does not. You have a 1,2 liter engine. I would check the timing. New spark plugs wont help you at all. All engines lose a bit of power when AC is turned on and more so with smaller engines.

I think your car has other issues and certainly not a lack of iridium spark plugs.

Here is my car which shows speed dropping when AC is turn on. My car is a 5 cylinder 2,5 TDI and double the size of your engine.

Indian2003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 13:09   #9
BHPian

Is there any advantage of Platinum plugs over the regular Copper-Nickel ones in engine smoothness? I see that the cost difference is acceptable between Copper-Nickle and Platinum, barely Rs 100.
Old 5th October 2021, 19:08   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any advantage of Platinum plugs over the regular Copper-Nickel ones in engine smoothness? I see that the cost difference is acceptable between Copper-Nickle and Platinum, barely Rs 100.
All these fancy plugs for ordinary everyday use cars are a waste of money. No way spark plugs will help in your case. If you car starts fine and runs well, keep it well maintained.

New plugs might help a bit if your old plugs are dirty and worn but dont expect super car performance.

In old cars with analog ignition you could bolt on a digital kit and expect some improvement i easier starting but your car has digital ignition and there is noting to gain.
Indian2003 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 21:40   #11
BHPian

Iridium spark plugs are used for their longevity. They are used in sports bikes and cars where reaching for it in places through the body work to change every few months can be cumbersome. It is yet to be proven beyond doubt that switching to rare metal plugs can improve perfomance. Same case goes with the fancy red plug adaptors, nylon lead wires and high voltage coils. Just stick with the regular plugs and you will be just fine.
corvus corax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 01:16   #12
BHPian

Thank you so much for helping me decide. Going with OEM spark plugs.
ravisghosh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 20:33   #13
BHPian

Posting this in case others are looking for cross reference Spark Plugs and approx cost. Will update once I find more info.

It was very difficult to find the matching plugs because none of the manufacturers are listing Chevrolet Sail 1.2 Petrol and the compatible plugs in their websites or PDF. Also, I couldn't find good sources online to cross reference the stock plugs (Champion RA7YC), had to refer multiple sources.

CAR: Chevrolet Sail UVA 1.2 Petrol
Part: Spark Plug

OEM Part Number: J24102199
OEM Cost: Rs 450 / piece

Champion Spark Plug Model: RA7YC (This is what came installed with the car)
Cost: Rs 95

(I had called Chevrolet Service Center, they mentioned that they would put Champion RA7YC plugs which costs Rs 450. This is weird because the price of the exact same plugs in local stores is Rs 95)

NGK: DCPR7E
Cost: Rs 132

Denso: XU22 (Need to check, I have not seen the plug myself)

NGK Platinum: DCPR7EGP
Cost: Rs 250

NGK Iridium: DCPR7EIX
Cost: Rs 750

Denso Iridium: IXU22 (Need to check, I have not seen the plug myself)
ravisghosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 12:08   #14
BHPian

I have no experience with respect to using Iridium Plugs on cars, but on motorcycles, I only have had terrible experiences. Guess, it's very similar to the "mental bhp" gain that the free flow air filters offer on paper.
Old 7th April 2022, 18:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Posting this in case others are looking for cross reference Spark Plugs and approx cost. Will update once I find more info.
Which one did you go for?
All of these spark plugs are available in boodmo. Confused about which one to order.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks