Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2021, 20:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Hiace - Knocking sound from the front suspension

Currently driving to Spiti in a 2004 Toyota Hiace. The front suspension on the driver side is making a knocking sound when driving over bad roads. Sometimes i can feel like something touches the floor too while making the knocking sound. Some other points to note:
- even on good roads but ones which have undulations, i can feel the knocking
- the steering is working fine
- overall the suspension seems to be doing its job

I know its hard to diagnose only from whats written above, but can you guide what all things can be causing this? Also what is the probability of it causing a breakdown as i will be countering bad to very bad days over the next few days. E.g. if the ball joint is causing it - how far can it be stretched before something major happens?
rrsteer is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 20:59   #2
BHPian

re: Toyota Hiace - Knocking sound from the front suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Currently driving to Spiti in a 2004 Toyota Hiace. The front suspension on the driver side is making a knocking sound when driving over bad roads.
It could be the lower ball joints. Check the lower left ball joint first as that side wears first. Check for uneven wear on the front tyres. You dont say what mileage your car has done but worn shock absorber bushes can also make these noises after high mileage.

Last edited by Indian2003 : 21st September 2021 at 21:01.
Indian2003 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 21:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- even on good roads but ones which have undulations, i can feel the knocking
- the steering is working fine
- overall the suspension seems to be doing its job
Although not very competent but yesterday during a service the mechanic had pointed out a damaged rubber "arm-bush" on my wagonR's left front suspension. It was a spherical rubber bush which had a cut on one side, the right one was fine.
He told that when the damage increases, dust/debris will get inside and will start making a lot of noise. To me this seems like your case too.
Although he might not have been able to correctly explain it but what I saw was a cut rubber bush but since he said he will change the entire arm as the bush isn't available separately. I decided to do it later since I wanted to double check that and currently its not causing any issue.

Do check it, just need to look behind your wheels and check, not sure how it looks on the Hiace though.
I am guessing and like Indian2003 said seems like the lower arm ball joint, damaged/worn out.

Just for reference, this guy is changing the the lower control arm, similar issue I guess : Credits to Providers

Last edited by shancz : 21st September 2021 at 21:35. Reason: upd
shancz is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 21:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
It could be the lower ball joints. Check the lower left ball joint first as that side wears first. Check for uneven wear on the front tyres. You dont say what mileage your car has done but worn shock absorber bushes can also make these noises after high mileage.
The van has done 220k kms. The front shock absorber was recently changed as there was a lot of uneven wear on new tyres. I believe the bushes would have been changed when the shock absorber was replaced.

Will get the lower ball joints checked tomorrow. Just asking, even if their condition is terrible can they last another 500 kms of bad to extremely bad roads without causing a breakdown? Since i can get the spare parts only from Delhi.
rrsteer is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 21:58   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Will get the lower ball joints checked tomorrow. Just asking, even if their condition is terrible can they last another 500 kms of bad to extremely bad roads without causing a breakdown? Since i can get the spare parts only from Delhi.
No problem driving a short distance with worn lower ball joints but dont speed when you dont know the amount of wear. You can easily check by jacking up the wheel and rocking it while holding at the 12 and 6 o'clock position. No negligible play should be felt.

Since you just heard the knocking sounds, it should be safe to drive to a workshop for 500 km or more.
Indian2003 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 18:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Hiace - Knocking sound from the front suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
No problem driving a short distance with worn lower ball joints but dont speed when you dont know the amount of wear. You can easily check by jacking up the wheel and rocking it while holding at the 12 and 6 o'clock position. No negligible play should be felt.

Since you just heard the knocking sounds, it should be safe to drive to a workshop for 500 km or more.
I completed the trip safely in the van. It was indeed the ball joints and there was quite a bit of play in the driver side tyre.

On another note, I noticed that in high altitude - heights above 3000 metres - there was a lot of blue/white smoke coming out from the van. I didn't notice this in other cars/trucks. One point to note is that in the middle of the journey I added 10 litres of diesel oil from a road side vendor and I would suspect high chances of it being adulterated with kerosene. I don't know if thats what caused the white smoke, because there is no smoke from the van here in the plains.

Last edited by rrsteer : 2nd October 2021 at 18:17.
rrsteer is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks