Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2021, 10:46   #1
BHPian

How accurate is Skoda's mileage data shown on the MID?

So I took my car (Skoda Rapid - Apr 2021) out on a drive early in the morning around 4.30 AM. First 50 KMs were on a 2 lane state highway but since it was early morning, I was able to maintain constant speed around 60-70kmph with minimal gearshift. Then I went on to the highway with averaging speed around 80kmph. All this while, I had my AC on at around 25-26 degrees. After about 100 KMs from start, I noticed my MID showing mileage to be 23.6 kmph?!

This really created a doubt in my mind if this info was correct? I do not think even ARAI claims the mileage to be so much for Rapid. Car is stock, no modifications of any sort. Use only Shell normal unleaded petrol. Should I take this info displayed with a pinch of salt? Has anyone tested how accurate it is?

P.S. : The picture was taken by co-passenger while I was driving. No photography stunts were performed.
Attached Thumbnails
How accurate is Skoda's mileage data shown on the MID?-img20210916wa0004.jpg  

sen2693 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 11:12   #2
BHPian

re: How accurate is Skoda's mileage data shown on the MID?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2693 View Post
So I took my car (Skoda Rapid - Apr 2021) out on a drive early in the morning around 4.30 AM. First 50 KMs were on a 2 lane state highway but since it was early morning, I was able to maintain constant speed around 60-70kmph with minimal gearshift.Has anyone tested how accurate it is?

P.S. : The picture was taken by co-passenger while I was driving. No photography stunts were performed.
I own a 1.6 MPI Rapid and have driven it over 55000kms. The MID fuel efficiency figures are pretty accurate for me and average around 17kmpl on highways and 10kmpl within the city. The mileage for my model has been independently tested by some publications and found to be correct.

In your case - if the engine is a 1 litre TSI then mileage will be better. Though 23kmpl looks a tad overoptimistic
Old 19th September 2021, 12:44   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...After about 100 KMs from start, I noticed my MID showing mileage to be 23.6 kmph?!
Driven subtly, these figures are pretty common for the Rapid/Vento. .

That said, my Vento too gives pretty accurate figures.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 12:54   #4
BHPian

I would take Average 1 with a pinch of salt. Average 2 would be the more accurate and dependable figure.
That being said I remember when my GT had a busted ABS sensor it showed economy numbers north of 20s. It stopped at 26 before I reached my destination and it was a main road journey with moderate traffic.
corvus corax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 22:06   #5
BHPian

Quote:
After about 100 KMs from start, I noticed my MID showing mileage to be 23.6 kmph?!
You need to take these figures with a spade of salt. The figure 23,6 km/liter is the actual mileage when the picture was taken. When coasting downhill i 5th gear, my consumption shows 0 liters/km. When I fill up the tank it is another story.

Diesel pumps are designed to cut off fuel while braking with the engine. You will need to run the tank down to get the average comsumption.
Indian2003 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 22:15   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The figure shown is the average mileage for your trip that morning. Assuming this was an early morning start in Bangalore with temperature set at 26 degrees, your AC compressor was probably off through the trip. And especially if your route was somewhat downhill and you maintained a steady pace of 70-80, this is quite possible. The best measured mileage I ever got on my Superb 1.8 TSI was about 16.8 km/l, after a trip from Lonavala to Bombay where I drove at ~80 due to fog. My usual mileage on the same stretch was closer to 10 kmpl. So how you drive makes a huge difference as does the weather since AC old drops drastically if there is no need for either cooling or heating as you drive.

My experience with MIDs in my Superb, Vento, Tiguan and X3 is they have all been a tad optimistic - perhaps 0.5 - 1 kmpl more than the tank full to tank full measure.
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 10:44   #7
BHPian

Quote:
So I took my car (Skoda Rapid - Apr 2021) out on a drive early in the morning around 4.30 AM. First 50 KMs were on a 2 lane state highway but since it was early morning, I was able to maintain constant speed around 60-70kmph with minimal gearshift. Then I went on to the highway with averaging speed around 80kmph. All this while, I had my AC on at around 25-26 degrees. After about 100 KMs from start, I noticed my MID showing mileage to be 23.6 kmph?!
It looks like fairly okay to me and I have seen such numbers [20kmpl+] on my Vento 1.2 TSI DSG's MID so seeing these numbers on 1.0 engine should not be a surprise on a morning highway runs with a gentle foot. There might be a very slight variance between actual and numbers shown on MID but it would not be a big change. Lately, I have been driving sticking to speed limits and with a light foot and a round trip Goa trip from Bengaluru yielded 17kmpl+ on MID for entire trip. Go heavy on the A-pedal and these numbers drop real fast, typical of turbo petrols !
Rahul_ is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 13:57   #8
BHPian

Re: How accurate is Skoda's mileage data shown on the MID?

I may be slightly out of context in comparing an apple to an orange, mine being a Rapid 1.5Tdi, but I share your sense of disbelief at the mileage.

The first image below is a 22Km trip along meandering roads at night, with AC off. The second is a 60Km trip on a Kerala NH with moderate early morning traffic and AC on.

At times I have wondered if there is some cylinder de-activation not mentioned in the specs. With the odometer reading 46K, I normally I get 22+ on highways and 18 in City traffic.
Lets count our blessings, given the 100+ Rupee fuel cost.
Attached Thumbnails
How accurate is Skoda's mileage data shown on the MID?-img_20200119_024444.jpg  

How accurate is Skoda's mileage data shown on the MID?-img_20210128_075912.jpg  

KANNURAN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 14:25   #9
BHPian

My 1.6 TDI Rapid returns 18-19 kmpl on highway and 15-16 in city, calculated using tank full method. The MID in my car always shows an inflated figure by about 14% over actual. Looking at it the other round, I reduce the mileage shown in MID by 12.5% to get a realistic figure.
anuragn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 15:33   #10
BHPian

Quote:
This really created a doubt in my mind if this info was correct? I do not think even ARAI claims the mileage to be so much for Rapid.
I have had the same doubt for a very long time now. When I drive sedately on highways with early gearshifts and keeping the rpm <1500, the MID shows similar euphoric milage figures. As per overall figures, I am getting around 14.5-15 (tank full method) while the MID shows overall as 15-16.

With a Mumbai -Pune express way run included in the overall trip, the mileage jumped to 16-16.5 (tankful) while MID shows ~18 .

So, I have assumed an error of +1-1.5 kmpl in the MID.

Would like to point out- I used to get 13.5 kmpl in my petrol Ritz & 11.5 kmpl in my petrol Jazz with the same route and usage pattern (so much for the famed "ivtec" engine with a pathetic low end torque) .

Always wanted to validate this with a tank full worth of driving only in the sedate mode. However, the temptation to hear the 3 cyl engine growl and the Turbo's witchcraft gets the better of me.

Last edited by R_Gowardhan : 21st October 2021 at 15:35.
Old 21st October 2021, 16:09   #11
Team-BHP Support

Recently I have been testing my fuel efficiency on my 3GT using the manual full tank to full tank calculation method and I have consistently found the MID over optimistic in its display.

I’d say for any particular usage you are best off using the above method to calculate actual FE. Do this over a period of time and perhaps you will find a pattern as to how much your MID is off from the actual efficiency.
Old 21st October 2021, 16:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This really created a doubt in my mind if this info was correct?
I guess it is correct - based on your explanation of how the driving conditions were during that drive.

Here's an FE figure from my Verna 1.6D with an Auto gearbox plus an ECU remap, when driven through Kerala highways with light traffic - I got 19 Kmpl for an average speed of 45 kmph. This was for an 80 kilometers road trip. I wasn't driving in a sedate manner at all, made no compromises on passing slow-moving herds (A combination of a slow truck and several cars stuck behind it) as quickly as possible.

How accurate is Skoda's mileage data shown on the MID?-img20211017230036.jpg

Last edited by clevermax : 21st October 2021 at 16:26.
Old 21st October 2021, 17:28   #13
BHPian

Hi,
I own a rapid 1.6 mpfi AT and before that my father owned vento petrol manual. While my father did his FE calculation via tank full to tank full he also tried correlating the same through MID and found it was off by about 0.5 to 1 km/l.
Now my car is mostly used in the city so here is what I found. MID reading is off by 0.5 km/l (I average out the lower readings in city with higher figures I get on the highway to compare with TF to TF). Now during my visits to my native I found the the MID to be extremely accurate (FE of 14.5 to 15 kmpl).
Now with my experience I do think the OP's MID was about 95% correct considering the driving conditions and the AC temp
Old 22nd October 2021, 02:45   #14

Hi,
I own a 2016 Vento Tsi DSG. On a one fine winter morning I embarked on a journey from Delhi-Jaipur-Jodhpur-Jaipur, my dad had some work and he had to drop me off in Jaipur so first leg of the journey I drove without any care for the efficiency still managed to get a figure of 17.8 till my destination around 280 kilometres from start.
My dad did his journey to Jodhpur and back to Jaipur with cruise control set at 80 in manual mode with shifting up as soon as the gearbox allowed and switching AC on 60% of the drive (the drive back was in the night and northern winters). I met him the next morning and. I was surprised to see the figure on MID, car had done over 1000 kms on a single tank and MID was showing mileage just over 20Kmpl, I was shocked and the fuel was almost empty. Please note we did start with a full tank of gas from Delhi and refuelled it in Jaipur with 51.xx Litres of petrol with 1050 Kms on the ODO, making the MID figure accurate to the tune fo 0.0x.
Though in tankful to tankful case in city I have noticed a 0.5 to 1 kmpl difference in the reported efficiency, the mileage reported in OP's case is pretty believable considering there might be 2-3% error.
Old 24th October 2021, 16:11   #15
BHPian

Please don't go by the MID's readings. In my case, the actual FE is 19.5 when calculated full tank to fill tank but the MID shows 1 km less. There's an error margin for the FE or DTE in almost all MID's. My car is an EcoSport.

Even if I drive at 60-80km/h with AC at 26, I get 26-27km/l, but that's called as hypermillimg. I think that's the same you might have done without your knowledge. If I drive with AC at 19 and speed at 120, I get 17-18 from the same car. So it's basically how lour right foot behaves is what matters. MID needs to be used as an estimate and not the exact figure

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks