Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2021, 13:05   #31
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Guys, beware of consuming information at the face value. We live in an era where 50 hoardings wont influence our decision, but five such Himanshus will influence what we will be buying, an asset which is few % of our NW, and which we will relish for the next 10 years. So I decided to spend few mins on diligencing these posts.

This account has been deleting tweets. Look at the google search in the first picture

Name:  Pic 1.png
Views: 1310
Size:  13.9 KB

The Above tweet seems to be deleted and not on his tweetline. Account has sporadic tweets and primarily to rant against brands/ consumer companies. See few more posts in the pictures below

[ATTACH=Pic 2.png]Skoda Kushaq breakdowns & problems-pic2.jpg[/ATTACH]

I am not saying this is a fake account, but definitely seems suspicious and needs to be authenticated before we make our life decisions based on these "genuine" vs "influenced" feedbacks.
Attached Images

Last edited by vinitbarve : 26th August 2021 at 13:08.
vinitbarve is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 14:08   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbarve View Post
Guys, beware of consuming information at the face value. We live in an era where 50 hoardings wont influence our decision, but five such Himanshus will influence what we will be buying, an asset which is few % of our NW, and which we will relish for the next 10 years. So I decided to spend few mins on diligencing these posts.

This account has been deleting tweets. Look at the google search in the first picture
While I agree with the statement that we need to be careful while consuming information online but I do not agree with the example you have shown and the reasons provided.

There are many people who delete their posts and tweets once their purpose is solved, myself included. There are multiple reasons to it.
  • Sometimes the brands in question itself ask the users to delete the post after they resolve the issue so as to not have a negative image.
  • Lot of people with similar issues keep replying to that post even after years have passed and one might not have time to answer those in timely manner.

Quote:
Account has sporadic tweets and primarily to rant against brands/ consumer companies.
Hate it or like it but this has been the new norm from quite some time. Brands take customers for a ride when any issue pops and unless they are called out on a public forum they try to squeeze your patience to their hearts extent.

Not everyone uses social media to share their daily chores or their political beliefs. Interestingly customer outreach has become one of the many uses of these platforms. Infact the sole reason I created my twitter and FB accounts is for this reason. The issues which used to take few weeks/months to get resolved now get done in few hours after publicly tweeting.

Quote:
I am not saying this is a fake account, but definitely seems suspicious and needs to be authenticated before we make our life decisions based on these "genuine" vs "influenced" feedbacks.
Agreed. It might or might not be an account trying to influence negative image for the brand but my point is just because some account has only complaints and rants doesn't make it a questionable account. OR in other words it is as questionable as the influencers who only have praises for brands.
UltraViolence is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 23:26   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
One more user reports EPC warning, power loss and rattles -
Two more EPC issues reported on Kushaq group in FB

Skoda Kushaq breakdowns & problems-fb_img_1630085735097.jpg

Skoda Kushaq breakdowns & problems-img_20210827_230237.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skoda Kushaq breakdowns & problems-img_20210827_231420.jpg
swoosh is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 23:53   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
What did they test for all these (claimed) lakhs of kilometres if so many of the cars are unable to run even a couple of thousand kilometres without a breakdown?

Isn't that the most fundamental expectation when someone purchases a new car? Reassurance from the brand head means nothing when your family is stranded on the road somewhere.

We often joke about TATA and Mahindra beta testing their cars on the initial buyers, who suffer niggles. But don't remember any recent launch which had half a dozen breakdowns reported in the first month itself!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th August 2021 at 23:55.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (61) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 08:58   #35
BHPian

Quote:
What did they test for all these (claimed) lakhs of kilometres if so many of the cars are unable to run even a couple of thousand kilometres without a breakdown?

Isn't that the most fundamental expectation when someone purchases a new car? Reassurance from the brand head means nothing when your family is stranded on the road somewhere.

We often joke about TATA and Mahindra beta testing their cars on the initial buyers, who suffer niggles. But don't remember any recent launch which had half a dozen breakdowns reported in the first month itself!
True. Just go to the harrier or safari thread. People are up in arms against Tata for trivial issues such as infotainment issues which can be taken care of by mere software upgrades and are name calling Tata about Tata's worthiness to build cars at such a price bracket. Whereas even after more than half a dozen cases of breakdowns Skoda is being defended and users are questioning the veracity and truthfulness of such reports resorting to conspiracy theories Seems people have different yardsticks and seems like only the nameplate matters and they will happily be stranded in the middle of the road if the nameplate is of some fancy European
adventureseeker is offline   (65) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 10:24   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureseeker View Post
True. Just go to the harrier or safari thread. People are up in arms against Tata for trivial issues such as infotainment issues which can be taken care of by mere software upgrades and are name calling Tata about Tata's worthiness to build cars at such a price bracket.
They are not trivial - imagine you moved the seat back while existing the vehicle yesterday and today morning the seat switches do not respond. You have to be an Orangutan to drive the Safari now (reminiscent of old indica). This happened for real and the ASC told the owner to come back later to fix it as he does not know what to do. Now only the tallest person can drive it.

Skoda definitely has more experience in making cars in the higher price range, that does not mean that their gearbox won't break down, at least they will know what to replace.
Kosfactor is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 21:31   #37
BHPian

Today spent my whole day for servicing of my Rapid at service centre, got a chance to have a discussion with the owner of the service centre regarding many things, in the process came to know that most of the parts in KUSHAQ are from TATA, the infotainment system being manufactured in Chennai, Kushaq’s bumper costs just less than half of Rapid’s.

Just trying to connect so many failure in Kushaq i think it’s very much possible that all these electronics parts being localised and outsourced from local vendors leading to EPC, infotainment and other niggles in newly delivered cars.

Got a chance to see the display car, and as rightly predicted in earlier posts, the display car being cleaned and maintained well inside out, everything felt upmarket top notch and posh.

Last edited by any23 : 28th August 2021 at 21:34.
any23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 22:09   #38

Could the petrol (octane value) be a source of EPC issues? My area pump has only 91 octane and am worried if using only that will lead to such issues when I get out on long rides in the Kushaq.

MOD NOTE : Please capitalize where required. Request you to proof read your post before submitting it.
Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 29th August 2021 at 07:29. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 29th August 2021, 13:17   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureseeker View Post
People are up in arms against Tata for trivial issues such as infotainment issues which can be taken care of by mere software upgrades and are name calling Tata about Tata's worthiness to build cars at such a price bracket.
Off-topic:

All these initial niggles in Skoda/Tata/Mahindra and we wonder why people dot on Maruti. When was the last time Maruti released a car that is not 100% how inferior they maybe with their competition.

PS: Not a fanboy here. In fact I own the mint with the hole although it has not stranded me ever (Yet! Touchwood)
RaghuVis is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 18:27   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What ever happened to limp.home mode? Seriously these electronic issues with cars a getting ludicrous. Someone should take the whole industry to task and force them to build redundancy into their platforms. Given the mind boggling charge of software and electronics into cars it's only going to get worse.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 08:24   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Over the weekend this topic of EPC error and breakdowns was being discussed on a WAG and I hypothesised that this could be a fuel pump issue. When the TUV was launched in Sep 2015, there was a batch of TUVs which had issues with tolerance in the Fuel Delivery Module(FDM) and their cars were breaking down. This was specially the case when the TUV was driven hard over a speed breaker, post which the FDM issue would kick in and the car would stall. Mahindra solved this via a recall and replaced fuel pumps. Details here (Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective).

This below post seems to indicate a similar issue as the one outlined above. Skoda should definitely recall vehicles and quicly plug this EPC problem.
Skoda Kushaq breakdowns & problems-epc.jpg
Source: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6547063&type=3

Last edited by procrj : 30th August 2021 at 08:26.
procrj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 08:26   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
What ever happened to limp.home mode? Seriously these electronic issues with cars a getting ludicrous. Someone should take the whole industry to task and force them to build redundancy into their platforms. Given the mind boggling charge of software and electronics into cars it's only going to get worse.

Drive on,
Shibu

With all the complex electronics, I think its time to install two nos. of all the important bits needed to "drive" the car similar to what's done in Airplanes.

If one computer fails the backup takes over so that the journey can be completed without incident.

Otherwise, they should give you spares of these to carry around like spare tyres and they should be kept in an easy to replace spot in the engine bay so that these "computers" can be replaced on the fly. I know its wishful thinking but still
ZenMaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 08:39   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
This below post seems to indicate a similar issue as the one outlined above. Skoda should definitely recall vehicles and quicly plug this EPC problem.
Attachment 2199839
Source: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6547063&type=3
Any words of wisdom on why these issues were not diagnosed during the million KMs of testing in real conditions as claimed by Skoda?
marathp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 08:45   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathp View Post
Any words of wisdom on why these issues were not diagnosed during the million KMs of testing in real conditions as claimed by Skoda?
My money would be on manufacturing defect in production cars. The test cars would have had various prototypes of parts installed and the final specs would have been locked in before mass production kicked off. Even if all vendors commit and strictly enforce six sigma in their manufacuring process ( in my head), you cannot rule out a batch having some difference when it comes to acceptable tolerances. As an OEM, you really cant do much about this and have to rapidly react to the situation and mitigate.

Technically, this is no different from software. Even after month of design, testing, UX reviews etc. you will still encounter that one use case you didnt account for or a few bugs that slip through because some specification upstream has failed or changed. Rapid root causing and mitigation is the only way forward.

Last edited by procrj : 30th August 2021 at 08:54.
procrj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 10:56   #45
BHPian

Quote:

I can guess "what they tested". I have worked closely on reliability of two systems designed for completely different use cases. Say the goal is for the system to run uninterrupted for one year, you can't wait for a year's run under the belt before releasing the system. If you discover a problem on 250th day and fix it, you have to restart the clock. So companies resort to having 20 systems run for 20 days and call it a successful 400 day run. I am over simplifying and there are actual stochastic calculations that go into the number of systems, number of days and the nature of the tests.

Skoda likely had a pool of 20 test cars each doing 75K kms. And someone simply told the media that they have run 15 lakh kms cumulatively, because it had a nice ring to it. If you factor in the various iterations of the hardware/software/firmware that were on each of these cars, I bet the final production spec version ran for 10K km/car at the max. Someone fixed something in a sensor hardware/firmware/software and rationalized it as a "minor" fix not requiring a longer reliability run and ended up here.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 30th August 2021 at 17:06. Reason: spacing for improved readability
sramanat is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks