Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2021, 16:05   #31
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta | Rear Drum to Disc brake conversion

Hi Anuraag. Any mod that improves your car in ways you want it to, is welcome and commendable. So kudos to you for toiling hard on making a well needed rear disc conversion which should have been offered by default on Creta .

Having said that, I don't want to be a party stopper but as others have pointed out, ABS calibration goes for a toss when changing stock brakes (be it upgraded brake pads, rotors & callipers or drum to disc conversion). Some of these like brake pads may not alter Pressure-Torque and Pressure-Volume characteristics of the braking system much depending on various variables. The ABS pump controller learns how to react and when to react in slip conditions and for this to work effectively it is calibrated to match the brakes on the vehicle. For example, Ford has the same ABS pump in some models of Ecosport, Fiesta and Focus. However the control unit calibration, software strategy and configuration is different for each of them with unique braking tables/curves. It's same with VW.

In regular driving scenarios, where ABS/ESP/TCS/EBD don't kick everything runs as it should without any DTCs. During slip conditions, ABS will oversteer/understeer your car as it still assumes you have stock drum brakes and its responses are tailored for them. Even brake bias is affected. Here is an informational article that explains the ABS response cycles clearly:
https://www.brakes-shop.com/brakeped...t-fundamentals

Again, this may or may not happen due to various factors:
1. P-T/P-V differences between your drums brakes and disc brakes could be minimal or very large.
2. Generally accepted norm is that 80% braking is done by front brakes in FWD cars. Since you changed rear brakes I can't comment on how that affects ABS.
3. ABS systems re-learn based on past driving conditions. I am not sure if this will accommodate new braking dynamics. May be you can initialize ABS relearn (don't know about Hyundai but ford has a relearn service procedure using IDS/Forscan/FDRS).
nightraven is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 16:26   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneetakhouri View Post
Your thoughts on getting rear disc brakes from Baleno RS on the regular Baleno? Do you see any problems/concerns with that given the fact that all parts would be directly sourced from OEM.
Not really worth getting the rear discs and changing the rear suspension beam too. It's again a non ventilated and thin disc in Baleno RS.

Baleno RS has different braking setup at front. You can get that instead which will work out cheaper and improvement will be better too
Dr.Naren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 18:34   #33
BHPian

I just want to say that you guys are the type who like Tony Stark, if given a pile of iron junk, will build a Iron man suit.

Question though, which Brembo brake pad number is it? I want to change the rear pads on my Seltos and this might be a direct fit?

Last edited by moralfibre : 1st September 2021 at 07:37. Reason: Typo. Break = Brake.
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 15:17   #34
BHPian

I was planning on undertaking a drum to disc swap on my Verna 2018 (next gen). I wanted to know if anyone has tried it before and if they have then what complications they came across. Another vital piece of information would be which car they used the parts from. From the research I have done I’ve found out that the i20 N Line, the Verna fluidic (4 disc model) and the Verna 2020 turbo petrol have all 4 discs but I’m not sure as to which car to specifically use parts from. And if I do, whether or not the ABS would still function as intended.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th August 2023 at 17:33. Reason: Typos and punctuation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks