Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2021, 10:42   #16
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta | Rear Drum to Disc brake conversion

Wow. That is some operation a4anurag! I had my heart in my mouth. It was like watching Sir Edmund Hillary reaching the peak of Everest. Wonderful. I hope you have another 1 Lakh absolutely safe and wonderful kilometers on the car. You deserve it. My complements to you, sir.
ashlil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 10:52   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by parathmaniraja View Post
Did you change anything with respect to abs and esp module. When @fluidicjoy upgraded bigger brake kit in polo TSI, he coded module to account bigger disc. Any similar coding needed here?
Nothing was changed. Everything is stock that I received from the factory.

The 'measurement' part of the braking system is still the same as what it was when the car had drum brakes so no need for any extra works like coding or anything.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 10:54   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
I am working on similar lines to replicate the same from the scross to my sx4 since there is a lot of part sharing between the two.
Please don't

SX4 and S-Cross have same front brakes. Rear discs doesn't mean always better. Most of the mass market cars have super thin non ventilated rear discs, a bigger drum brake will perform better here.

I have both SX4 and S-Cross and the braking is better in SX4 with bigger rear drums compared to non ventilated , smaller diameter, and thin rear discs in S-Cross.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 30th August 2021 at 10:57.
Dr.Naren is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 11:04   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Amazing thread, gone straight to our homepage . Thank you for sharing!

It's a great mod for those keen on it, as you & other BHPians clearly are. For me however, I wouldn't touch the OEM braking system outside of the factory. My alternatives would be:

- Better tyres to improve braking

- Performance rotors & pads from a reputable after-market brand

- More engine braking .
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 11:54   #20
BHPian

Great project!
Thanks for documenting it so well.
Now, we have a great guide for fixing shabby brakes.
The primary reason I sold my 2011 Endeavour was due to an oversensitive ABS. At city speeds, if I panic braked, the ABS would cut in and I would freewheel. Keeping a longer braking distance from the vehicle ahead didn't work as a 2 wheeler would claim the space.
Had to quickly learn threshold braking!
A rear drum to disc conversion would have definitely helped here.
ValuableRecluse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 12:02   #21
BHPian

Nice Mod.
I am planning the same for my 2020 Thar, The braking power is simply not adequate for its weight and the highway speeds. I just have few concerns if if you have thought about it please share inputs. Miss the good old days when things were purely mechanical.
EBD: As it is calibrated for lesser effective brakes in the rear does it result in some weird braking?

Insurance: God forbid if some crash happens will the Insurance company honour the claim ?
ESP: Does your Creta was Equipped with ESP, if yes did you observe any changes in its behaviour?
ambarkhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 12:09   #22
BHPian

Nice Mod for sure. But my recommendation will be always
"NEVER touch the OEM braking system". Changing rotor or brake pad is fine but replacing the complete set up is never recommended in my opinion
rahulskumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 15:43   #23
BHPian

Great Mod kudos to you. I must say this is a daring mod to carry out. though its a inspiring mod done i will not dare to carry out such a mod.
aneesh2M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 17:55   #24
BHPian

What Hyundai couldn't do, a determined Bhpian, scrapyard hunt, FNG could do!! i.e. improve the braking.
Hyundai could have launched this as a kit and people would have happily paid.
For those who are saying that touching OEM setup might be dangerous, are correct, however in this case except the mounting bracket everything else is OEM.
Kudos!! I'm sure if this is published on YouTube it will be trending video and the FNG guy, lathe guy and scrap dealer will be busy doing this job only, with huge waiting periods.
PraNeel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 18:35   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
What Hyundai couldn't do, a determined Bhpian, scrapyard hunt, FNG could do!! i.e. improve the braking.
Hyundai could have launched this as a kit and people would have happily paid.
For those who are saying that touching OEM setup might be dangerous, are correct, however in this case except the mounting bracket everything else is OEM.
Kudos!! I'm sure if this is published on YouTube it will be trending video and the FNG guy, lathe guy and scrap dealer will be busy doing this job only, with huge waiting periods.
I stand by this comment ! Everything else other than the mounting bracket is OEM and is done properly. As long as things are done with proper research which clearly has been done well in this project , I don't see any problems or anything to worry about. Great Job a4anurag I see this as a absolute win since you found a solution for all the creta owners complaining about the brakes. PraNeel you took the words right out of my mouth.
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 20:20   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarkhan View Post
EBD: As it is calibrated for lesser effective brakes in the rear does it result in some weird braking?

ESP: Does your Creta was Equipped with ESP, if yes did you observe any changes in its behaviour?
The ABS calibration definitely would go for a toss and ideally it has to be coded to match the different configuration. It is possible on VW like we have in the other thread related to the rotor upgrade. But not sure how Hyundai can be tweaked. But all in all, I would not call this ideal. The ABS is better off knowing what brakes it is controlling. This is a bigger deal than having to deal with a different rotor or pad.

Change of behaviour of ESP cant be noticed in normal driving but in the situation where the ESP has to intervene, it can be noticed clearly, trust my experience Hence, with such a mod, better not get into such a situation.

@A4Anurag, if I were you, I would have focused on upgrading the front brakes than changing the setup at the rear. Practically you might be very satisified with the mod, but its not the safest choice. At least, the ABS module must be coded to match the setup even if one goes ahead with such a swap. If not, then lets hope the ESP never has to intervene.
audioholic is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 20:50   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The ABS calibration definitely would go for a toss and ideally it has to be coded to match the different configuration.

At least, the ABS module must be coded to match the setup even if one goes ahead with such a swap. If not, then lets hope the ESP never has to intervene.
When the hub remains the same as earlier, which actually does the measuring of speed, TC etc, I am not sure why would the ABS calibration go for a toss? Would you mind explaining?

I am in the process of procuring a G-Scan 3 (OEM OBD-2 Tool for Hyundai and Kia) where I can check for any issues. When I had used the G-Scan 2, I couldn't find anything abnormal. Once I have the tool in hand, shall post images of the ABS unit and other functions on the thread.

Last edited by a4anurag : 30th August 2021 at 20:52.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 21:13   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
When the hub remains the same as earlier, which actually does the measuring of speed, TC etc, I am not sure why would the ABS calibration go for a toss? Would you mind explaining?
Sorry, this is the issue. You see only one side of the picture and claim that every thing is perfect. Wheel speed is the simplest part of the whole setup. Do you think just by ensuring that the wheel speeds are the same, the job is done? If that was the case, there would be one ABS/ESP module for the entire list of cars available No need to make any modifications to the software or controller, just use the same in a drum brake setup, disc brake setup, smaller disc and bigger disc. And no, even if you buy G-Scan 100 it wont show you any trouble.

The way the module controls the brakes, such as duty cycle, slip threshold and other parameters during intervention would change with the characteristic of the brake that the module is controlling when the ABS is trying to prevent wheel lock. When it is an ESP intervention, the module brakes individual wheels or pairs of wheels to bring back the vehicle to the intended direction of control. These modules are carefully calibrated to apply certain amount of brake force based on the brake type and size, because if you apply the sort of brake pressure for a drum brake on a disc setup, there will be more braking due to the nature of the brakes. Disc brakes offer sharper and faster response in comparison to drums. So if the ESP thinks its braking a wheel with a drum setup and you have a disc brake there, then it will be of academic interest to see what the result would be.

That is exactly why I mentioned - All is well in a normal situation. But when the time comes for the ESP to work, such as a potential understeer, that would be when the difference will be observed. And I pray that doesnt happen.

Hope you took a look at this thread in our forum itself - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...t-vw-polo.html (Installing an OEM 288mm Big Brake Kit | VW Polo) Which perfectly explains why they provide variant coding for the ABS/ESP module for it to work properly. While the whole idea of swapping a drum brake with a disc brake might sound cool, there is more of automotive engineering under that which has to be understood especially in the era of ABS/ESP. In the absence of that, its a different thing.

Last edited by audioholic : 30th August 2021 at 21:17.
audioholic is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 10:37   #29
BHPian

Anurag,

If I had been as unhappy as you were with the braking of my car, I would have opted for purchasing a new car over the massive operation you did !.

As some BHPIANS have mentioned, changing the stock setup carries risk. No doubt about it. But if the risk pays off and makes you a happier 'braker', nothing like it and it is mission accomplished .

All the best!.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 13:52   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Rear discs doesn't mean always better. Most of the mass market cars have super thin non ventilated rear discs, a bigger drum brake will perform better here.
Your thoughts on getting rear disc brakes from Baleno RS on the regular Baleno? Do you see any problems/concerns with that given the fact that all parts would be directly sourced from OEM.

Thanks.

Most Viewed