Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2021, 10:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Can cylinder deactivation tech harm the engine in the long run?

Thanks to Ethesham Mohiuddin for sending this video in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
What could be the long term effects of cylinder deactivation technology on engines?

Here is a video I've come across on what cylinder deactivation technology might do to the engine.
ChiragM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 12:08   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Can cylinder deactivation tech harm the engine in the long run?

The video kind of confirms the apprehensions that I had about VCM. I'd made a mention here (2007 Honda Accord AT : Smooth as silk) that we didn't even consider a 3.5 VCM engine while evaluating Accords.

Every single system introduced over a conventional set up comes with its own complications, and side effects - VCM is one of them. I'm even keeping my fingers crossed on small engine powerful turbo petrols, although they're the zing thing today.

My view is plain simple - all cylinders should fire at all times. It is upto the driver to decide between performance and fuel efficiency. One either drives with a light foot, let's go of performance and gains on fuel efficiency OR drives spirited, gets the max out of the engine and doesn't bother about fuel efficiency.
vigsom is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 21:05   #3

Re: Can cylinder deactivation tech harm the engine in the long run?

I am planning to buy a new family sedan and currently confused between City Petrol MT and Slavia 1.5 MT. Took a test drive of both and Slavia is a real fun to drive car. Also, knowing that its going to be my last ICE car, looking for something which remains memorable to me with trouble free ownership.

However, I am little bit apprehensive towards Skoda's cylinder deactivation technology and have a couple of questions w.r.t. 1.5 TSI.

1. How does the cylinder de-activation technology affects the engine life in long term? From the video, I understand its gonna effect the life in longer term. But question is how long ?
2. How these cylinders are selected? As in, for 1.5 TSI, every time 2 random cylinders are selected for de-activation or only 2 specific cylinders will be de-activated every time and what are those cylinders?
3. Is there a way to disable the cylinder de-activation feature through service center without breaking the warranty?

Response to it would be really helpful.

Last edited by AB737Max : 23rd May 2022 at 21:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks