Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2024, 17:20   #121
BHPian

Re: Impact of 20% ethanol petrol on current petrol engines

Can someone advice me if buying a used Honda scooter having carburettor for around Rs 30,000 is a bad idea? Have anyone experienced any issues in your scooters with current ethanol blended fuel?
Old 13th February 2024, 19:51   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe367 View Post
Can someone advice me if buying a used Honda scooter having carburettor for around Rs 30,000 is a bad idea? Have anyone experienced any issues in your scooters with current ethanol blended fuel?
They run just fine. No issues.
I have been using my old access and have no problems.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 20:52   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
They run just fine. No issues.
I have been using my old access and have no problems.
Thank you. I was still learning to ride scooters so didn't want to invest in a new scooter at this time.
Old 15th February 2024, 20:05   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe367 View Post
I'm using a 2011 Activa 110 and it works fine other than the cold start issues but then that's an Activa trait and not really caused by the E10 or 20 fuel. Once it's running it runs fine
Mortis is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 21:42   #125
Senior - BHPian

^^ Thre will be no issues with carbureted vehicles, they will run even with kerosene. It is the fuel injected ones that may face problems.
Gansan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 18:18   #126

Looking for best possible petrol option for Skoda Rapid 2019 1.6 MPI

I've recently got a pre-owned Skoda Rapid 1.6 MPi and have a confusion related to the best option for fuel. The recommendation is for 95RON and E10. As we know that now all the fuel available is ranging from E5 to E15, which is going to be the best all-round option ? What would be the best economical option with required specifications - 95 RON petrol (HP power 95) vs premium petrol (e.g. Shell unleaded) vs normal unleaded petrol .

For reference, I read somewhere that Shell unleaded as well as V-power is also having 91/92 RON with ethanol blending.
Old 12th March 2024, 00:07   #127
BHPian

I was supposed to fill the tank in my 2020 Wagon yesterday and stumbled upon an IOC petrol pump nearby which only had E20 fuel. On being asked why it's mentioned E20 the attendant mentioned that this is regular fuel and and all pumps have this fuel only nowadays. I again asked that hope it's normal fuel and he said that you can see that all scooters and cars and buying this only and moreover it's price is also same. I went ahead and filled the tank up which took 29l of petrol.

Now just out of curiosity when I looked up on internet I am surprised to see the debate on this fuel. Some posts state that it will ruin the engine including fuel pump etc while some state that it's fine. I am in no mood to take chances with my car so what should I do? Would 1 tank full of E20 petrol be enough to cause damage to my 2020 manufactured Wagon R? Should I take out the fuel and dilute with regular fuel once a while so that am able to utilise the E20 fuel over a period of time and not waste the money on it completely. If yes then what is the best method to take the fuel out of fuel tank?

Wish I had known earlier and could have avoided this mess.

Last edited by Maverick Avi : 12th March 2024 at 00:31.
Maverick Avi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 01:20   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Avi View Post
... what should I do? Would 1 tank full of E20 petrol be enough to cause damage to my 2020 manufactured Wagon R? Should I take out the fuel and dilute with regular fuel once a while so that am able to utilise the E20 fuel over a period of time and not waste the money on it completely. If yes then what is the best method to take the fuel out of fuel tank?

Wish I had known earlier and could have avoided this mess.
Going ahead, most places will only provide E20 fuel. What will you do then?
But do not worry, nothing will happen to your vehicle. E20 fuel has been available for some time now, you may even have filled it up without knowing it. It will not cause any harm to your vehicle. There is no need to replace your fuel. Even existing fuel is atleast E10, and vehicles are consuming it without any issues. The rubber components are built to have a higher factor of safety than the requirements. So there should not be any negative outcomes in most cases.
kosjam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2024, 09:33   #129
BHPian

I've been consistently getting low fuel economy and a noticeable decrease in acceleration and torque on my 2021 XL6 (run 20,000kms till date) since E14 and E20 fuel became the standard norm in fuel pumps.

The rubber fuel breather hose on my XL6 was bored by beetles(at 7400kms on the odo) which got attracted by the stench of Ethanol that can be easily sensed by them. We narrowly escaped from being burnt alive and my whole family was with me in the car then.

Recently my Omni too started leaking fuel heavily after its fuel line hoses, both near the fuel filler as well as the ones under the front seats got bored at multiple places by beetles. Pretty sure that these fuel leak incidents and hazards will crop up again as long as fuel is either E14 or E20 and the rubber fuel lines have no other upgradation option.

Then yesterday, in the XL6 Kerala group, a member's 2021 BS6 model well maintained car has failed pollution test. My guess is that this is due to the "legalized adulteration" of petrol with Ethanol. Maruti Suzuki only recommends a fuel of max E10 for this model car. I had already came across many people saying that their petrol cars and two wheelers that are upto 2018 models are failing pollution test, this despite getting the vehicles periodically serviced with new spark plugs, air filters and so on. And now even 2021 vehicles are failing the test.

The government should provide normal petrol alongside E20 fuel even if at a premium rate. This is their responsibility to those who paid 15 years road tax upfront for using their vehicles on open roads. I mean what can people do if their vehicles can't even pass a pollution test despite being periodically serviced and maintained in excellent condition, only to get slapped by MVD and Police authorities for having no valid pollution certificate?

Also sharing the failed pollution test result of the 2021 BS6 XL6.
Attached Thumbnails
Impact of 20% ethanol petrol on current petrol engines-img_20240519_093856.jpg  

Last edited by jalex77 : 19th May 2024 at 09:49.
jalex77 is offline   (64) Thanks
Old 19th May 2024, 17:49   #130
BHPian

I really don’t get this blending of fuel. If I remember right, they did say that they were going to install separate pumps for blended fuels with cheaper prices.
Has the prices of petrol come down due to blending?
The men/women in power seem to do anything with no inputs from scientific advisors or even put out feelers to hear from their very own citizens
Dreamlifter.07 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 19th May 2024, 20:05   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
I was expecting Ethanol to be dirt cheap.

How is this going to benefit the End Customer?
The benefit for the customer is only environmental. Ethanol was never meant to decrease fuel prices. Only to offset some emission goals. There is some doubt as to the real net effects of adding ethanol to fuel when it comes to net emissions.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 19th May 2024, 20:17   #132
Senior - BHPian

The main advantage is it is renewable. And saves a lot of foreign exchange for India since we import most of our petroleum needs. The money will circulate within our economy. There may be significant reduction in emissions when the ethanol content becomes at least 40% of the fuel or higher.
Gansan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2024, 21:40   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
The benefit for the customer is only environmental. Ethanol was never meant to decrease fuel prices. Only to offset some emission goals. There is some doubt as to the real net effects of adding ethanol to fuel when it comes to net emissions.

Jeroen
If you look at that failed emission test report that I posted earlier, you'll see that the emissions have actually increased and the car was never designed to run on anything above E10. Regarding pricing factor, Ethanol used to be cheap here. The government has kept increasing it's price, but it's still a lot cheaper than Petrol, Diesel or even Kerosene for that matter. I don't understand why that price benefit is not being passed on to consumers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The main advantage is it is renewable. And saves a lot of foreign exchange for India since we import most of our petroleum needs. The money will circulate within our economy. There may be significant reduction in emissions when the ethanol content becomes at least 40% of the fuel or higher.
The environmental friendly story is somewhat a myth cause the environmental impact of producing Ethanol is more or less or perhaps even worse than using normal Petrol cause carbon emissions involved in producing raw material for Ethanol is quite high.

The toll and premature failures of vehicles which are a direct result of running on non recommended high Ethanol blend fuel are all negative impacts on the environment .
Add in the reduced fuel economy using high Ethanol blends in vehicles not tuned for it. In my case it's a drop of 15-20% in fuel efficiency, which is pretty much in tandem with the percentage of blend.
jalex77 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 09:53   #134

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalex77 View Post
The environmental friendly story is somewhat a myth cause the environmental impact of producing Ethanol is more or less or perhaps even worse than using normal Petrol cause carbon emissions involved in producing raw material for Ethanol is quite high.

The toll and premature failures of vehicles which are a direct result of running on non recommended high Ethanol blend fuel are all negative impacts on the environment .
Add in the reduced fuel economy using high Ethanol blends in vehicles not tuned for it. In my case it's a drop of 15-20% in fuel efficiency, which is pretty much in tandem with the percentage of blend.
Yes exactly I don't think environment is a top priority for the government in case of ethanol blending.The main objective behind this and as highlighted by our ministers is to save crucial foreign exchange that is being drained out of economy every year to fulfill our crude oil needs.
As an added bonus employment opportunities and environment impact works as a good reason to further justify their step of ethanol blending.
Overtune26 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 10:05   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamlifter.07 View Post
I really don’t get this blending of fuel. If I remember right, they did say that they were going to install separate pumps for blended fuels with cheaper prices.
Has the prices of petrol come down due to blending?
The men/women in power seem to do anything with no inputs from scientific advisors or even put out feelers to hear from their very own citizens
I've always been skeptical about E14 and E20 fuels, despite manufacturers claiming their engines are compatible. These fuels will shorten engine life and degrade fuel economy. This is why I'm leaning towards diesel. The government has been procuring petrol at lower rates even before 2014, yet prices have surged by more than 50%. This shows we have a greedy government that leaves consumers to fend for themselves. We don't need a government that prioritizes profit over the well-being of its citizens.
Kishoreshack is offline   (21) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks