Amaron 240 76.43%
SF Sonic 14 4.46%
Exide 60 19.11%
Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2023, 10:47   #76
BHPian

Re: The 2021 Battery Thread | Amaron vs SF Sonic vs Exide

Unable to vote since I don’t have privileges yet. I’ve always had 2 - 3 cars in my garage. After falling for Amaron advertising - I did go the Amaron way a few times - but Exide is no doubt superior. I have had Exides last me 7-8 years and Amaron usually conks in 3-5 years.
Old 2nd September 2023, 13:46   #77

Let me update you - after multiple rounds of email/phone, Amaron finally replaced the battery free of cost. Happy with the resolution for now. My learnings were
1) Buy from a direct seller of Batteries instead of a reseller. Not sure though - how can we be fully sure about who is direct seller, also how it would work in the case of online sales.
2) Maintain all documents - bills, warranty card
3) As other members suggested, Do the due diligence in terms of service support before buying the battery

thanks
Kapil
Old 26th September 2023, 13:16   #78
BHPian

My Honda City Diesel's battery has seen better days, and it's giving me a hard time with long cranks in the morning. So, I'm looking to replace it, and I've heard good things about both SF Sonic and Amaron batteries.Before I make a decision, I'd like to gather some insights from those of you who have experience with either of these battery brands. Please share your thoughts, recommendations, and any personal experiences you've had with SF Sonic or Amaron batteries in your Honda City Diesel.
  1. SF Sonic Battery (Cost: ₹5,300)
  2. Amaron Battery (Cost: ₹5,700)
Old 24th June 2024, 10:49   #79
BHPian

Does anyone here know if there are any constraints in a car identifying that its battery has reached EOL and needs to be replaced? Technology has evolved so far that we're talking about autonomous driving, but there are no sensors/ tech to tell that a car's battery needs to be replaced soon!

Pondering over this since we were stranded on the highway yesterday, with our entire family by our 2019 Kia Seltos. It refused to start (throwing up an 'Check ABS' message and we're suspecting a weak battery (read: 5 yr old). A simple push start helped us get moving, and it's now driving as if nothing happened.

I wonder what's the line of thought of the manufacturers on this? How does the manufacturer expect everyone to be proactive enough to replace a battery every 4-5 years? Neither did the service centre pick it up/ recommend during the last service (7 months ago), nor did the car throw up any errors.

Makes me wonder if all the innovation in features and gizmos are futile if it leaves me stranded on the road!

Any thoughts on this?
Old 24th June 2024, 11:01   #80
BHPian

My 2016 Jazz came with SF Sonic battery which gave up after exact 4 years of use in May 2020. Replaced the same with Amaron battery which is still going strong with no signs of issues. Amaron battery costed me around Rs.3300 that time.
Old 24th June 2024, 11:08   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvagarwal View Post
Makes me wonder if all the innovation in features and gizmos are futile if it leaves me stranded on the road!

Any thoughts on this?
You can ask the service centre or any battery shop to check the condition of the battery and they will give you the health report. If you are not doing such check proactively, then incident like failure to crank or long cranks, random MID errors are warnings before battery fails and leaves you stranded. I changed the OE battery of my Seltos after more than 4.5 years, without any second thought when the service centre informed me of one weak cell.

Edit: you can also use an OBD reader to get the crank voltage reading.

Last edited by ashis89 : 24th June 2024 at 11:13.
Old 24th June 2024, 11:26   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
You can ask the service centre or any battery shop to check the condition of the battery and they will give you the health report. If you are not doing such check proactively, then incident like failure to crank or long cranks, random MID errors are warnings before battery fails and leaves you stranded. I changed the OE battery of my Seltos after more than 4.5 years, without any second thought when the service centre informed me of one weak cell.

Edit: you can also use an OBD reader to get the crank voltage reading.
This is exactly my point. Shouldn't this be a part of the standard service checklist? If it already is, then it must be enforced strictly because it is clearly not. How are the manufacturers/ service centres leaving this to user discretion? What about those who're not as proactive/ aware of this, or will find it difficult to remember?

Yesterday, while we were stranded, my grandfather was very quick to bash Kia for a poor quality product, as against Maruti/ Hondas that have never failed us. Such failures also bring disrepute to the manufacturer albeit because of ignorance.

Besides, how difficult could it be to put a sensor/ some tech to alert the user that their battery will need to be replaced soon? We have so many sensors/ tech already. One more shouldn't make much of a difference right? Or am I missing something?
Old 24th June 2024, 11:49   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvagarwal View Post
Besides, how difficult could it be to put a sensor/ some tech to alert the user that their battery will need to be replaced soon? We have so many sensors/ tech already. One more shouldn't make much of a difference right? Or am I missing something?
Service centres don’t do it proactively. Not Kia nor Maruti based on my experience. I had asked Kia SC proactively to check it about a year and the health was good (but they were insisting I change the 3.5 yr old good battery). This time I knew the battery would need replacement soon. I sent the car for service without any note about the battery. They checked it themselves and informed me that one of the cells is weak. I got the car back and changed the battery the same evening.

Meanwhile our old WagonR was always serviced at MASS. Yet the battery failed at home about a month post service.

Some cars do give voltage readings on MID and also warn when the voltage is low. However that is not foolproof and owners have still been stranded. I guess it is the battery tech to be blamed and not our cars. They can fail abruptly without any giveaways to the car's sensors.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 18:08   #84
BHPian

Does anyone know if there's an SOP to check battery voltage?

We're suspecting our battery on our Kia Seltos (read: ~5 yrs old) is dead, because it threw a 'Check ABS' error randomly and refused to start. But on checking the voltage, the Exide dealer said that it's working fine, and that it doesn't require a replacement.

I'm wondering whether it was tested in incorrect conditions. Does anyone here know?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks