Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2021, 19:04   #1

VW Polo engine seized! Replace with new engine or sell as scrap?

Hello Fellow BHPian,

I need some suggestion for my VW polo (Aug 2014 Model, Highline, 2nd Owner). Recently I have transported my car from Bangalore to my home town in Punjab. After few days, the car suddenly stopped running and I took it to VW service centre.

After so many escalations at VW, they finally did some diagnosis and told me that the car engine has seized. Below is the analysis which they have done.

'We wish to update you that our Volkswagen Technical Team has diagnosed your car thoroughly and found that the intake camshaft seizure has caused development of metal chips which got circulated in engine with oil.

Improper tightening sequence and torque during its previous assembly might have caused the seizure of the intake camshaft according to the seizure pattern.

Oil recovered from engine oil pump is different/Fresh as compared to oil recovered from Oil pump and Filter which looks like oil was filled post damage.

It is suspected that the engine work has been carried out previously at a local workshop. Hence based on current findings it is concluded to replace the base engine under chargeable basis
.'

As VW has clearly indicated that some engine work has been done recently, I am filling a legal complaint against the transporter.

Meanwhile I am torn between the different options I have. I am listing below the different options and need your expert advise on it.

Option 1 - Get the new engine from VW - VW has given a quote of around 3.5 lacs for engine replacement. While they have assured me that they will give me some discount, still it will cost minimum 2.5 lacs.

Option 2 - Get an old engine from car disposal dealer - I checked getting an old engine from a car disposal dealer. They told me the old engine cost around 55K. However I am not sure how much can I trust that engine as I don't know the condition of car. Also I am not sure what will be the impact on the RC. This option is only for making the car running and then selling it.

Option 3 -Sell the car to car disposal shop Another option I have to sell this car to some car disposal dealer and buy a new car. My company also gives me a car lease option. However it may happen that since I am taking a legal route against the transporter ( which may take even years to resolve), I may need to keep the car.

Option 4 - Park the car and wait for legal resoloution Anyway the car is scrap now. So I can park the car and wait for the legal resolution. Even after 2 years, whenever the issue is resolved, I will sell the car as scarp (may be will get a less value for it though).

I have done some financial analysis (please see the attachment) on repairing the old car with new engine and selling this car as scrap and getting a new car on lease. I have assumed the expenses for next 4 years and a tax slab of 30%.

Please let me know your valuable advice on it.

Regards,
gaurav
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo engine seized! Replace with new engine or sell as scrap?-car-cost-analysis.jpeg  

gaurav.jc is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 19:26   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: VW Polo engine seized! Replace with new engine or sell as scrap?

You need to elaborate firstly on what sort of engine work has been done on your car at the FNG that screwed it up so badly and damaged the intake cam and what role the transporter played. This will also play a pivotal role in determining whether this engine is worth saving or you will have to get another one altogether (new or used), and what else might have been damaged by them.

The way I look at this, you should only consider two to three options:

- Get this job done perfectly at VW and stomach the costs, provided that you are sure you will keep this car for another 2-4 years atleast. You will also have to go through what VW wants to change thoroughly and see to it that everything that needs to be changed is changed. This is a case of engine oil contamination and the damage could be a lot worse than preliminary diagnosis suggests and costs might actually shoot up instead of decreasing.

- Get a used engine and put it, but this will be accompanied by the obvious hassles of endorsing it on the RC and ensuring the replacement engine itself is in good nick. You will also need to find a good FNG to do this for you, not someone who doesn't know how to tighten bolts for the engine head correctly.

- Lastly, if you don't want to go through any of this, sell the car in as is condition and be done with it. I would strongly suggest not going the legal way. It's an FNG you are fighting against, not VW or an established organisation. There's virtually no way to put pressure on them to pay up TBH. And consumer laws anyways won't help matters. You will be fighting for a car that is just sitting there rotting away, and in the end, might again only get scrap value for it.

Please enlighten us on what exactly happened at the FNG or transporter that led to the cam seizure and such a serious issues. Pinpointing this is equally important

Last edited by vishy76 : 26th July 2021 at 19:35. Reason: Adding details about the transporter
vishy76 is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 19:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Could you mention which engine is this? Petrol or Diesel?

Option2 looks to be the most economical.
Get a salvaged engine after a close inspection.
RTO formalities can be handled via agents.
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 19:29   #4
Team-BHP Support

How on earth would you prove that your transporter damaged the car? Why on earth would they tamper with the engine? You will be laughed out of the court, unless there is some context which we do not have access to.

What engine work had been performed in the past?

It might be bad luck! Unless you have conclusive proof - start looking at option 2 or 3. Option 1 is not financially viable!
ajmat is offline   (61) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 20:14   #5
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

If this car is on lease, doesn’t your leasing company pay for all the bills?

Secondly, for the transporter to add oil to the car, he would have to face a situation where there was a low oil warning in the car. How can that be? Did they damage the sump/oil filter while loading? In which case there should be other signs of damage.

Lastly, if you have immaculate records, why even tell VW about car transport. Shouldn’t you maintain that the car is always serviced at VW, and if any problem has cropped up, it is their problem to solve.

Forget about resale, if the engine and chassis number doesn’t match. As it is, its a VW which has low resale.

Is this the Diesel/Petrol engine we’re talking about?

Did you get a full service history before buying? Is it possible the previous owner didn’t follow the service schedule?
Tgo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 21:39   #6

Mod note: Trimming large post quoted, also please do a Preview before Submitting. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
You need to elaborate firstly on what sort of engine work has been done on your car at the FNG that screwed it up so badly and damaged the intake cam and what role the transporter played.
====
Please enlighten us on what exactly happened at the FNG or transporter that led to the cam seizure and such a serious issues. Pinpointing this is equally important
I didn’t give the car to any mechanic. When I was in Bangalore, car was running in perfect condition. For a week, the car was with the transporter. After I received the car, I drove it for around 400-500 kms in 10-12 days. I had gone to a nearby city when suddenly car started flashing engine maintenance dashboard light. Aftet sometime, battery sign started flashing. I called a local mechanic who told me it may be an altinater fail issue and told me drive slowly and bring the car to his shop. As I drove 100 meters, engine started heating up and then suddenly the car stopped after 2-3 kms. Then I towed it to VW service center and thus VW started the analysis.

Last edited by Jaggu : 26th July 2021 at 22:28.
gaurav.jc is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 22:02   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Somehow this looks like the previous owner had done some makeshift repairs and sold you the vehicle, it is not uncommon. I do not know which model it is but regardless, engines can be rebuilt instead of needing a swap , 3.5L is just unnecessary expense for a vehicle like that.
Kosfactor is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 22:22   #8
BHPian

Why are you hell bent on blaming the transporter? There is no reason for a transporter to open up your car unless you shipped it in parts! As others have pointed out, the only way this could have happened is if the previous owner has made repairs on the engine. The options now, as you mentioned, are to either get it fixed at VW ASS/local garage or sell it off for scrap. There's really nothing else you can do, as the cost of fixing it is approximately equal to the current resale value of your car!
nitkel is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 22:33   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav.jc View Post
I didn’t give the car to any mechanic. When I was in Bangalore, car was running in perfect condition.
A bit of history would help.

So this car has been with you for sometime and was being used by you when you were in Bangalore? Then transported to where you are now.

How old is the car and how many kms?

Are you the first owner?

Was the car parked earlier for long before being transported? Who delivered the car to the transporter?
Jaggu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 22:41   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Many information missing

History
- Odo reading
- How long the car is with you (years and km)
- Service history

Incident
- What is the mode of transport (car carrier or driven)
- Any abnormality observed after the receipt (engine noise, performance, etc)

Coming to your question, spending 3L on a 7+ years old Polo is not justified and taking the legal route without any solid evidence could only depreciate the resale value of car / scrap with increased blood pressure. Either scrap it as it is or repair at FNG and use it for a while. Continue if you are satisfied with the performance or trade it after disclosing the history to new buyer and go for a new car.
Mr.Boss is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 22:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I was in Bangalore, car was running in perfect condition. For a week, the car was with the transporter. After I received the car, I drove it for around 400-500 kms in 10-12 days.
The one week you're referring to is the one during the transport or was the car in their custody for a week prior to shipping? If they've used your car, you can verify that with the odo reading right? Am I missing something here. Why you're suspecting the transporter for any foul play? Was the car transported in a truck to Chandigarh or was it supposed to be driven as per your agreement ?

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 26th July 2021 at 22:54.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 23:01   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Somehow this looks like the previous owner had done some makeshift repairs and sold you the vehicle, it is not uncommon. I do not know which model it is but regardless, engines can be rebuilt instead of needing a swap , 3.5L is just unnecessary expense for a vehicle like that.
I bought the car in 30 Dec 2018 and the car is running perfectly since then. So previous owner doing any repairs and selling to me has no possibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
How on earth would you prove that your transporter damaged the car? Why on earth would they tamper with the engine? You will be laughed out of the court, unless there is some context which we do not have access to.

What engine work had been performed in the past?

It might be bad luck! Unless you have conclusive proof - start looking at option 2 or 3. Option 1 is not financially viable!

No engine work has been performed on the car till now. Though I am the second owner of the car, I bought it on 30 Dec 2018 and the car has been running in perfect condition since then.

When the car was broken, I didn't call transporter first. I took it to VW service centre thinking my bad luck. However when VW gave this report that there is a fresh engine oil in the engine, my suspicion on the transporter increased. (I mean why on earth they will add oil in the engine, if they are not even driving it)
I called nobroker and spoke to them multiple times. I sent so many emails and even escalated to their CEO. I told them that I just want one line in email that no repair work has been done on the car during transport movement. However those guy kept on dodging it. Even their transport partner refused it. I chased them for more than 3 weeks. But those guys didn't bother to reply me. So finally I decided to take a legal action against them.

Last edited by Eddy : 26th July 2021 at 23:41. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
gaurav.jc is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 23:55   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Many information missing

History
- Odo reading -
- How long the car is with you (years and km) -
- Service history

Incident
- What is the mode of transport (car carrier or driven)
The transporter said he got the car with car carrier. However I don't know the exact mode how they transported it. Only thing is they got the car in 8-9 days while the other transport came in 17-20 days. The time was around 3-4 week of May when covid was on peak
- Any abnormality observed after the receipt (engine noise, performance, etc)

Coming to your question, spending 3L on a 7+ years old Polo is not justified and taking the legal route without any solid evidence could only depreciate the resale value of car / scrap with increased blood pressure. Either scrap it as it is or repair at FNG and use it for a while. Continue if you are satisfied with the performance or trade it after disclosing the history to new buyer and go for a new car.
History
The car is run bit less than 36K kms. I bought the car in Dec 2018 when it was run around 20K. All the services has been done at VW Whitefield Bangalore
Incident
I remember once or twice, when I put on the key, many flashed up on the dashboard. However after switching off and switching on again, these lights went away.
Since I am taking a legal route which may take even years to resolve, I thought I would need to keep the car with me till that time. That's the reason, I considered the option 1.
gaurav.jc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 10:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
gaurav
If you have the parking space, I would suggest you to buy a comfortline model from Delhi (with low resale value) for about 1.5 to 1.75 lakhs. Use the engine from that car and get your Highline in Top shape. Use the salvage car to sell off parts for VW through a mechanic (VW parts are hard to come by in aftermarket and you may be able to sell the parts slowly for decent price).

You can reuse the tyres, sell the system, make a TopGear style sofa with the seats.

The options are upto your imagination.

Without a parking space for a salvage car, this is not doable.
2000rpm is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 10:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

You are in Delhi.

Goto Mayapuri, get a engine (remove and replace in under a day) for 30-60K petrol or diesel, and move on.
svsantosh is offline   (25) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks