Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2021, 10:17   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Video: GoMechanic Review | AC Service Fraud

GoMechanic still believes in "Seeing is Believing" and did not give heed to customer feedback. Brilliant

The infamous dash cam reminded me of the incident of the first service of the Baleno RS which was recorded in a similar fashion.

Karma!!!
SnS_12 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 10:34   #32
BHPian

Once I saw a go mechanic associated garage near Jalahalli ring road and the way these guys keep the car without a jack and used old wheels to support the car scared the wits out of me and I never will use such services unless they show some integrity. In authorized showrooms itself I stand next to my car though companies claim that customer can't enter the service bay. If the service center puts a petrol engine oil in a diesel car, the company will just give name sake support. That's the reason I always stay around my vehicle irrespective of where it's serviced.

The go mechanic guys are getting famous due the the way they craft their ads on Instagram and I take Instagram ads with a pinch of salt.

Good that the OP brought this up and please don't take the video down as it'll help a lot of car owners

Last edited by jithin23 : 14th July 2021 at 10:35. Reason: Added content
jithin23 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 10:39   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.joshi View Post
Can't trust a company (read GoMechanic) with my car which have people onboard that steal petty stuff from customer's cars. After losing my sunglasses I complained to them, they closed the ticket two days later with no response.

Attachment 2178277
Tbh you can't put this on any company. It is a your word vs theirs. Once they start admitting these claims, then every Ram, Thomas and Hari will go "I had a pair of Ray Ban Aviators, please to pay 10k".

Whenever you leave a car, anywhwere - valet, service doesn't matter, it is on you to ensure you leave nothing behind.

OP, would you have a twitter account? Could you link a tweet here? I want to amplify it.
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 11:16   #34
BHPian

@anuking, its always good to give your car to your regular service centre rather than to trust an unknown entity, especially when you are opting for a pick up and drop.

BTW, is your Aukey dashcam wired so that it's switched on when the ACC switch is turned on? Or how? My Aukey DR02 is connected through the 12V charging port and comes on when ACC is on.

Regards,
Sridhar
Sridhar C E is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 11:31   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuking View Post
Thanks 88_TANK, took my car to Hyundai today, he simply lifted the car, put a pump, sucked out the clog from drain pipe and down it pours, almost half a litre of water. Car is brought down, hander over to me, no charges, can't be happier.
Hi, Sorry for out of context question. Could you please share which Hyundai service center was this?

Garages fleecing customers is a very common practice.

Recently on my uncle's Amaze, the AC was not cooling enough and airflow was too low. He wanted to leave for Ahmedabad from Pune the next day. So we wanted to get the AC repaired on the same day.

Went to one of the local mechanics, he just started the car, turned the AC on, opened the hood and came up with a long list of parts that needed to be checked/ replaced/ repaired and said it would take two full days of work and should be around 12k of expenses. We said we wanted the car on same day as he had to leave for Ahmedabad. After some negotiations he came down to 7k and would give the car back by next day morning. More negotiations and he was down to 6k and would give it back by late night.

Smelling something fishy, we left the place and went to another garage.

The guy said, let me open and check and if possible get the AC service done, in the process we will also figure out the issue. We agreed.
3 Hours, a badly clogged AC filter, gas top up and Rs 3200 is all it took, and the AC was working as good as it was out of the showroom.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th July 2021 at 19:08. Reason: spacing for improved readability
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 11:33   #36
BHPian

It is similar with other mechanics or for that matter any other service.

Unless CCTV is installed and live + recorded feed is shared with customer, right from car entry until exit, there is no transparency.

Same goes for so called authorized service centres!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th July 2021 at 19:09. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 14th July 2021, 11:48   #37
Senior - BHPian

Dear anuking

Car AC cleaning has many elements linked and these are discussed at large on this forum.
AC duct cleaning and AC filter cleaning / changing is DIY. However if you still want to do deeper cleaning then you can go for evaporator cleaning. This process is very tedious and long, and also involves opening up the front panel. A very skilled mechanic is required for this. The shortcut to this is cleaning the evaporator using a camera, which is offered by 3M. However please note even this requires skilled labour and not all 3M outlets do it.

ruzbehxyz is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 11:52   #38
BHPian

I've said this in the Online Car Service Thread (Online car service / maintenance providers: Would you use them?), but I'll put it out here once again for everyone's benefit.

About 18 odd months ago, I was looking to get some bodywork done on my Grand i10, but I was on a budget. In addition to the bodywork, I added on an interior clean-up as well. It turned out to be a big mistake.

The bodywork was satisfactory. There was a slight paint mismatch, some overspray, but nothing noticeable. For the price paid, it works.

But the clean-up was a real house of horrors. The seats were dustier than before, and they used some polish on the inner side of the front windshield, which caused it to fog up so heavily that I couldn't drive. And they misplaced my floormats which I got back after multiple escalations.

I would never trust anyone other than the Authorized Service Center for mechanical work, and this has just turned me away from them for all services.
TejasKinger is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 11:52   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Tbh you can't put this on any company. It is a your word vs theirs. Once they start admitting these claims, then every Ram, Thomas and Hari will go "I had a pair of Ray Ban Aviators, please to pay 10k".

Whenever you leave a car, anywhwere - valet, service doesn't matter, it is on you to ensure you leave nothing behind.

OP, would you have a twitter account? Could you link a tweet here? I want to amplify it.
Agree Stribog, unfortunately I'm not on any social media platform... even this YouTube channel, I created it just for the sake of posting this video

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
Hi, Sorry for out of context question. Could you please share which Hyundai service center was this?

Garages fleecing customers is a very common practice.
Recently on my uncle's Amaze, the AC was not cooling enough and airflow was too low. He wanted to leave for Ahmedabad from Pune the next day. So we wanted to get the AC repaired on the same day.
Went to one of the local mechanics, he just started the car, turned the AC on, opened the hood and came up with a long list of parts that needed to be checked/ replaced/ repaired and said it would take two full days of work and should be around 12k of expenses. We said we wanted the car on same day as he had to leave for Ahmedabad. After some negotiations he came down to 7k and would give the car back by next day morning. More negotiations and he was down to 6k and would give it back by late night.
Smelling something fishy, we left the place and went to another garage.

The guy said, let me open and check and if possible get the AC service done, in the process we will also figure out the issue. We agreed.
3 Hours, a badly clogged AC filter, gas top up and Rs 3200 is all it took, and the AC was working as good as it was out of the showroom.
Hey Ishan12, this was Shivam Hyundai, Pune. Very professional guys. They never disappoint.

Last edited by moralfibre : 14th July 2021 at 14:07. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use multi-quote option when replying to multiple posts. Thank you!
anuking is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 11:54   #40
BHPian

Had similar experience with my first trial of Gomechanic in Delhi last year for my Polo after the pandemic delayed the service. As initially the authorised service centres were not open, I decided to give them a shot. I opted for the comprehensive package as due to less usage the car is serviced annually. I was told the car needs a clutch overhaul for my 52k kms done car and I refused the same as I was not facing any issue. They even marked the same in the car health report they give saying the clutch is too hard. The car came back from service and the next day coolant light came up for the first time in history of car. it took 3 more visits for them to diagnose what's wrong and I was charged for coolant replacement thrice during this process. Finally replacing the cap of the coolant holder fixed it for which I had to pay as well. I argued the car went in perfectly and never had any such issues during the 6 years but they just said parts fail without warnings.

Next year i tried another garage with my City as I don't like the authorised Honda centres as well for the reason they keep calling every 3 months once you get a service. My car is used between 3-4k kms annually so I only service it once an year. This new garage had very good reviews and they didn't look fake after going through them. Everyone had mentioned that the owner is very knowledgeable and humble. Throughout the service he himself overlooks each and every step that's happening. Its quite a small place and they only accommodate 3/4 cars a day, but this time the experience was much much better. Instead of adding things on, he removed a couple of things saying its not required in your car as of now. I was finally happy to find good FNG very close to my house.

This year sent the Polo to him as well and the experience was again exceptional. Infact a couple of days back the underbody protection of my car broke (thanks to Karol Bagh parking ) due to brushing with some rock and it was touching the road while driving. Visited him and it took a good 30 mins for him to fix it, he attached a couple of screws, even offered to rub off the scratches which could be removed and didn't charge a penny even though I asked him twice. Infact seeing him service a 7series that day increased the confidence even further for sending him my A4 post its warranty.

End of the day its the owner of the FNG and his knowledge and capability that matters much more than the affiliations they have with Gomechanic or other such services.
prateekchanana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 11:59   #41
BHPian

Wow, another advantage of having a dash cam. This was totally out of the blue for them. Now they will be more careful and start whispering.
Old 14th July 2021, 12:20   #42

Anuking, thanks for sharing! I have been tempted to try GoMechanic in the past (because of unsatisfactory VAG workshop experience) but refrained because of some (rather scary) negative reviews but this one makes it official. It also solidifies my case to go for a dash cam!
Old 14th July 2021, 12:20   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar C E View Post
@anuking, its always good to give your car to your regular service centre rather than to trust an unknown entity, especially when you are opting for a pick up and drop.

BTW, is your Aukey dashcam wired so that it's switched on when the ACC switch is turned on? Or how? My Aukey DR02 is connected through the 12V charging port and comes on when ACC is on.

Regards,
Sridhar
Hey Sridhar, the dashcam has concealed wiring, the USB adapter has been directly soldered to the 12v socket from inside, the wiring has been run through the A Pillar and then through roof to the cam behind IRVM, the power is available as soon as the car is unlocked, doesn't require for me to put it in ACC mode. This made for 12V port available and no wires dangling... some DIY there, along with some others, made a post about all the modifications in my Verna, https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235918
anuking is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 12:37   #44

Thank you anuking for this. I recently bought a second hand vehicle and and looking back, have realized that one of the reasons was that i trusted the service provided by the local Honda service centre. Checking with a few friends, i got the same answer - that getting hold of a third party service provider is indeed difficult and most of the times you need to interact with them one to one to even establish a trusted relationship or go through a common reference. Although once you have it, it opens up incredible opportunities especially for second hand vehicles with notoriously bad after sales service (like Skoda). I would generally avoid services like GoMechanic. I may be wrong, but as per my understanding they are little more than brokers connecting users with stand alone service centers - with some basic quality control guidelines but no real enforcement. Very similar to Swiggy i guess.
Old 14th July 2021, 12:50   #45
BANNED

This is why one should never leave their car unattained. We can at least take one day off from work once a year to take the beloved vehicle personally to the service station.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th July 2021 at 13:50. Reason: Please use bold text only to highlight important words or phrases - not for entire posts. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks