Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2021, 20:25   #31
BHPian

re: Kia Sonet - Body colour missing inside the door, below the panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
From all these discussions, it looks like it could be. But, in that case, it should be there in all the cars, right?
Compare this to another dark coloured car - grey/black/blue. You will definitely observe this because all the points where you see the grayish paint is all CED (Cathodic Electro Deposition) and is usually neutral colour like grey, white, beige so that it blends in with the main colour. This is not a dealer or transit issue - this is a cost saving effort from the factory. Whatever colour you see at the bottom is all overspray from the robot's sweep above that. It is quite obvious the robot's sweep doesn't go down to that level. If you ask me, you can get it touched up but if it doesn't bother you, let it be. The CED looks intact and it's main purpose is rust prevention.
adityasatish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 20:54   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, I'm checking with them. They have contacted me just now and they were about to arrange a pickup to check and fix the car. But I'm not comfortable with the dealer pickups, and I don't want them to fix it without finding the root cause. So I'm planning to visit them asap, their body shop is 70kms away from my home. From all these discussions, it looks like it could be. But, in that case, it should be there in all the cars, right?
I am not sure about my statement, am just a little skeptical. I hope it turns out to be a miss from the factory. Be sure when you hand over the car to them. I would not leave my car for too long with them unless they know where the problem occurred. It would be wise to have a dashcam installed too. If you don't have it yet, you can procure one, it's always good to have things recorded.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 21:23   #33
BHPian

I looked in our Sonet and there is no such gap in painting. I don't know if this adds to the confusion but I couldn't find any missing paint in our Sonet. Mine is a black one, so any such gaps would have been a dead give away.

Edit: Just noticed that OP's car is black too.

Last edited by headbanger : 12th July 2021 at 21:46.
headbanger is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 21:36   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityasatish View Post
Compare this to another dark coloured car - grey/black/blue. You will definitely observe this because all the points where you see the grayish paint is all CED (Cathodic Electro Deposition) and is usually neutral colour like grey, white, beige so that it blends in with the main colour. This is not a dealer or transit issue - this is a cost saving effort from the factory. Whatever colour you see at the bottom is all overspray from the robot's sweep above that. It is quite obvious the robot's sweep doesn't go down to that level. If you ask me, you can get it touched up but if it doesn't bother you, let it be. The CED looks intact and it's main purpose is rust prevention.
I'd just leave it as is if that's the case. But are you sure all the manufacturers follow the same process, I mean CED?. Asking since I don't see anything like that in their video,

Kia has offered touchups or whatever fix required, but I'm always doubtful about the quality when it comes to repaint/touchups. Also, a little scared if they'll end up repainting the entire door.

I think I'll be convinced if I see the same in some other cars, at least the same batch. But, I'd still consider it as a defect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
I am not sure about my statement, am just a little skeptical. I hope it turns out to be a miss from the factory. Be sure when you hand over the car to them. I would not leave my car for too long with them unless they know where the problem occurred. It would be wise to have a dashcam installed too. If you don't have it yet, you can procure one, it's always good to have things recorded.
Yeah, I don't want to leave the car with them too long. Probably I'd stay with them if they allow that. And yes, I do have a dashcam installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
I looked in our Sonet and there is no such gap in painting. I don't know if this adds to the confusion but I couldn't find any missing paint in our Sonet. Mine is a black one, so any such gaps would have been a dead give away.
Did you check it with a flashlight? It was difficult to see the issue in daylight. Just to confirm, the issue is below the door panel near the corner.

And can you tell me the manufacturing month?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th July 2021 at 13:12. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
robincsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 21:54   #35
srh
BHPian

To me, this just seems to be a case of skimping. KIA is applying the top coat only to visible areas. Other areas which aren't visible are left with just the anti corrosion coating & maybe the base coat. This is just a cost cutting measure.
srh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 22:25   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Did you check it with a flashlight? It was difficult to see the issue in daylight. Just to confirm, the issue is below the door panel near the corner.

And can you tell me the manufacturing month?
Mine is Oct 2020 batch.

Yes. Used flashlight, checked all doors. Here is a pic of driver's door.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet - Body colour missing inside the door, below the panel-16261088352123357366850122568081.jpg  

Last edited by headbanger : 12th July 2021 at 22:31.
headbanger is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 22:32   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
Yes. Used flashlight, checked all doors. Here is a pic of driver's door.
Can you please check the curved part facing the ground, like the video I shared below?

A friend from Kia Sonet group on facebook shared a video and I see something similar. Not sure if it’s the same issue, he’s checking in detail. Attaching a screenshot from the video below.

Kia Sonet - Body colour missing inside the door, below the panel-78cc5a8dddbd446ab5bdb09fb2814c45.jpeg
robincsamuel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 08:14   #38
BANNED

I've seen a similar miss on my Bullet, I just presumed they didn't pay much attention to the areas not usually visible.

Kia Sonet - Body colour missing inside the door, below the panel-img20210225200536.jpg

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 11:00   #39
BHPian

Like most suggested, check same models at the dealership and you'll get a clearer answer!

On a lighter note, thank goodness Kia/Hyundai doesn't offer Nardo Grey as an option.

You get it when you get it!
vishwasvr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 14:22   #40
Senior - BHPian

Generally, overspray is only in areas that the customer will barely or never notice (underside of the hood, chassis parts and so on).

It is a common practice throughout the world and a accounts to saving for the manufacturer on the excess paint cost.

There is no reason for it to be here on the outer side of the side-member unless the car was resprayed at the dealer and this area was mistakenly missed.

Best to check with the dealer as this finish is not ok to be in such a visible area.
Stratos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 14:54   #41
Senior - BHPian

Second post here as I forgot to ask in the my previous one. Is there any rubbing of the door on the main car frame i.e. the point where the door touches the bottom floor portion. Maybe if there is some tightness/rubbing the paint could be wearing off on the main frame/beadings. Not sure if this is technically possible. Maybe others can comment on the same.
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 16:48   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwasvr View Post
Like most suggested, check same models at the dealership and you'll get a clearer answer!
The dealership only has the new models as the same model is no longer available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Is there any rubbing of the door on the main car frame i.e. the point where the door touches the bottom floor portion.
I don't see any rubbing as such. If it's due to rubbing, that'd feel different when you glaze your hands over the area, right? Though one door feels rough, all others just feel like the clear coat. Also, that'd leave marks on the other side as well I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
Best to check with the dealer as this finish is not ok to be in such a visible area.
I'll do that. Kia service contacted me and asked me to visit their body shop to assess and fix it. They offered pickup, but I don't want to do that. The body shop is 70-80kms away from my place and I already have plans to visit that city end of this month for some other reason. So I'm planning to visit them at that time.

The S.A shared a few pictures, and there's no such issue with those cars. So I think even if it's a factory issue, it's not designed to do that. Or they might have fixed it as the cars he checked are the new model.

Photo shared by the S.A
Kia Sonet - Body colour missing inside the door, below the panel-img.jpeg
robincsamuel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 16:57   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I'll do that. Kia service contacted me and asked me to visit their body shop to assess and fix it.
If I were you, I would not just have them fix it but also have them clarify on how it happened in the first place. If they damaged it in the showroom and fixed it without letting you know, they should come clean with. It is unacceptable for a showroom to hide such an incident.

Chances of this thing happening in the factory is possible, but very rare. If it did happen, it would be a batch of cars and not just one.

Last edited by Stratos : 13th July 2021 at 17:01.
Stratos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 17:21   #44
BHPian

The official review photos do not seem to have this issue but can't say for sure from the photos. But I am damn sure our reviewers would have caught this.

Aren't there Sonet owners here on Team-BHP who can check this on their cars? Either way, I suggest you do not accept any fix till you figure out why this exist. This could be a damaged car repainted. These can't be ones missed at the factory level.
naikameya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 17:22   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
If I were you, I would not just have them fix it but also have them clarify on how it happened in the first place. If they damaged it in the showroom and fixed it without letting you know, they should come clean with. It is unacceptable for a showroom to hide such an incident.

Chances of this thing happening in the factory is possible, but very rare. If it did happen, it would be a batch of cars and not just one.
The chances of this happening at the showroom and all doors requiring repainting are also very rare. So the best possible outcome for the OP would be to get it repainted and get some years of guarantee/warranty on the paint. The car seems fine otherwise. To the OP: Get the issue sorted and put it behind you. If you dwell on it too much then the car will never be in a satisfactory condition for you to really enjoy owning it.

Last edited by nitkel : 13th July 2021 at 17:29.
nitkel is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks