Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2021, 08:19   #46
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Frustrated with VW's inability to fix my Tiguan Allspace DSG. EDIT: 2nd DSG failure (page 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv29 View Post
Quick Update:

Today VW India approved replacement of complete gearbox assembly and order for it is placed by the dealer.
A thread going to the Team-BHP homepage usually does wonders . Happy to see the quick turnaround, as it was added to our homepage & newsletter only yesterday.

Do keep us updated on the progress.
GTO is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 09:27   #47
Senior - BHPian

re: Frustrated with VW's inability to fix my Tiguan Allspace DSG. EDIT: 2nd DSG failure (page 4)

Even after so many years, it is unfortunate that VW is not able to solve the problem with the DSG worldwide, yet continues to keep selling it. Glad the OP could get a new GB approved. Even then, such incidents will leave me scarred forever as an owner- what if the gearbox fails during the night on a remote highway with 100 km to go for my destination?

With competent 8-speed torque converter ATs and decent CVTs (from Toyota and Honda), VW should retire the DSG for the limited time left with ICEs. I've driven the new Camry (with the Aisin 8 speed) & the 330i (with the ZF 8 speed) and was super impressed. The aforementioned gearboxes were much better than my '12 Fusion's 6F35 (a 6-speed torque converter.)
landcruiser123 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 09:32   #48
BHPian

The DSG is a complex gearbox and could very well be the culprit here but considering there were no metal shavings noticed in the oil, no codes, no slippage/transmission jerks, no gear hunting, etc there is a chance your issue may not be resolved with a transmission change. I would recommend you to monitor the car after the DSG is replaced. If you still have issues I would recommend checking a couple of things:

1) if the car jumped timing: it is possible for an ICE engine to still run with jumped timing but it will cut on power and give erratic throttle response. A visual inspection of the timing markers can help in identifying if the engine jumped timing.

2) Turbo boost leak: you mentioned the car losing power when trying to get in boost range, if there is a leak in vaccum line or loose hose clamps it can cause some of the symptoms you are experiencing like loss of power. Usually a boost leak would also cause black smoke from exhaust depending on how bad it is.

The more I read your very first post I keep feeling this has something to do with the turbo or a boost leak which again may not give a code depending on how severe the issue is.
rockporiom is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 09:41   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post

I am happy that I moved away from the DCT back over to the torque converter system. I was never satisfied with my Hyundai DCT because it seemed to always telling me to go easy though it never caused any problem as such. I am a free bird now with my BMW X1 20d with its Aisin box. It's a load of fun too with a CRD3+ tuning box. The gearbox handles the increased oomph with no trouble.
All ATs need to have one or many clutches, there is no other way to do it. You now have more clutches in your GB that you would want to know, there could be one in the TC itself - go easy on it.
Old 27th June 2021, 18:30   #50
Team-BHP Support

Based on your mention of sounds surfacing over bumps and some driving distance it seems your gearbox has had a premature megaclutch failure which we faced with our Laura when it was just over a year old.

Quote:
Mechatronics was opened and inspected during last visit, it was deemed good condition by engineers.
VAG folks rush to the Mechatronics module for addressing a DSG failure like our government seems to rush to fuel prices for raising funds. On one occasion the chaps at Skoda replaced the Mechatronics module in our Laura under goodwill warranty whilst the real fault was diagnosed a month later to the gearbox shifter that I paid for partially.
manson is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 15:37   #51
BHPian

From the sound of the YouTube video doesn’t sound like a engine knock. Definitely a gearbox clank with the shifting. Do update once the gearbox is replaced. Any other members experienced this issue? This car was on my shopping list. Wishing a peaceful resolution and many happy miles.
Old 28th June 2021, 21:22   #52
BHPian

Going a little off topic here but I think with the number of gearbox failures VAG have had ever since they came to India, it's time they introduce manual transmissions in all their models keeping DSG as an option. I know people buying in premium segment prefer automatic but for those who want the fun to drive factor and solid build of VAG and yet want to stay trouble free in the long run would love to go for manual. It will save them many sleepless nights and money. Having owned a MT Polo I can only say that their manual transmissions are one of the best in the business and definitely more reliable than dual clutch auto. Imagine Octavia 2.0 TSI with manual. It'll be best of both worlds. If you deduct the gearbox problem from all the Skoda and VW cars, the number of threads on tbhp will go down and will free up some server load.
Carpainter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 19:11   #53
BHPian

Update:
The gearbox arrived from Germany after 15 days from the day order was placed.
So I gave the car to VW S.C on 13th July for Gearbox replacement. Also I started to hear suspension knocks on irregular roads and joints along with weak cooling from AC to be looked into.
The S.C took a week for replacement of Gearbox and tending to other issue. And I received the car yesterday after all the work was completed. Total bill came out to be approx 6.3 Lacs (of course waived off as warranty replacement).

My Observation:
1. After replacement, the gearbox rattle has definitely reduced but it hasn't gone away completely and it is still unacceptable to hear these rattles in road joints, gravel road.
This rattle is noticeable when no accelarator input is given on rough roads. Other Allspaces owner can chime in on it.
2. Suspension knock was traced to failing link rod which was replaced under warranty.
3. A/C was checked out to be okay in terms of Refrigerant, leakage. But still I feel the cooling is not upto the mark. Also, I hear gas hissing when starting car in morning for 2-3 seconds. When I pointed this out, I was informed that it's due to expansion valve.
I said every car has an expansion valve and none of my other vehicle makes this noise why is this car special? Again, the engineer present said that they found cooling up to specified level. I think I'll have to get A/C checked at reputable aftermarket workshop for Gas level etc.
4. The major fault due to which gearbox was replaced will only be tested on long route. I'll keep this thread updated for it.
Dhruv29 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 20:58   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also I started to hear suspension knocks on irregular roads and joints along with weak cooling from AC to be looked into.

My Observation:
1. After replacement, the gearbox rattle has definitely reduced but it hasn't gone away completely and it is still unacceptable to hear these rattles in road joints, gravel road.
This rattle is noticeable when no accelarator input is given on rough roads. Other Allspaces owner can chime in on it.
Reminds me of your this post from past

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4794047 (Driven: Lexus ES 300h)

Have you tried any other Tiguan and felt differently? I Will suggest doing this for an extended period.

Quote:
2. Suspension knock was traced to failing link rod which was replaced under warranty.
Wow, any reasons they gave?

Quote:
I'll have to get A/C checked at reputable aftermarket workshop for Gas level etc.
Better stick with VW authorised. Can you ask them to measure grill temperature on your and others?
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 20:39   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Maybe my ears are too sensitive
The difference between Lexus and VW is mechanical noise and cosmetic noises.
Cosmetic/trim noises still can be fixed by some “Jugaad” but what can we do about a gearbox which does “khat, clunk, tuk” in 2nd to 3rd gearshift or giving gas after lifting off in 2nd gear or 3rd gear with a noticeable jerk.
Is the DSG DQ381 that unrefined? I think all the hype of DSG being smooth and relatively jerk free is uncalled for.
It’s jerk free definitely in 4-7 gear ranges along with lightning fast shifts which puts a grin on my face. But in slow traffic where gears are mostly between 1-4 it gets unrefined and does not exhibits behaviour which is to be expected with a car of this price point.
Nothing beats a TQ.
Hell, when i had my Hyundai Sonata Embera 2005 AT till 2020 which covered 1,75,000km had no mechanical “khat-clunk” in its gearbox when changing gears or lifting off gas and accelerating in slow moving traffic. Slow, but smooth buttery transmission.

Quote:

Have you tried any other Tiguan and felt differently? I Will suggest doing this for an extended period.
I’ll have to do that definitely in short term. Try to take their TD vehicle for long drive. But I’ll be able to figure out differences in short drive.

Quote:

Wow, any reasons they gave?
No reason, just a premature failure.
My theory is that it’s due to short suspension travel. Every time in a small dips or a speed breaker the suspension reaches its articulation limit with a loud thud. Therefore reducing link rod’s life. Every day it reaches its limit 9-10 times along the route to my office. Where my other cars glide through, Tiguans’s front suspension reaches its limit.
Quote:
Better stick with VW authorised. Can you ask them to measure grill temperature on your and others?
Yes, I’ll visit them again. Now I’m facing evaporator coil freezing issue along with weak AC. I took car for a long drive about 400km round trip. After sometime, AC stopped blowing air slowly and slowly. I had to switch off AC, wait for ice to melt and then it switch it on. Repeatedly.
Only good part of this trip was that gearbox issue seems to be sorted now. Stupid VW reliability/quality. I’m off this brand for life now.
Video URL showing no air flow is marked below-
Dhruv29 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 22:10   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Yes, I’ll visit them again. Now I’m facing evaporator coil freezing issue along with weak AC. I took car for a long drive about 400km round trip. After sometime, AC stopped blowing air slowly and slowly. I had to switch off AC, wait for ice to melt and then it switch it on. Repeatedly...
I had the exact same symptoms in my budget-grade JTP but I'd think the underlying principles are the same so worth a check.

In my case, the issue was isolated to the AC thermistor. Mine needed some repositioning of a sensor (design issue), yours may have a functional issue with it.

Worth a check before agreeing to any repairs as in-cabin AC repairs usually involve a lot of trim removal & refitting. Best avoided if at all possible.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 03:41   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe my ears are too sensitive
Cosmetic/trim noises still can be fixed by some “Jugaad” but what can we do about a gearbox which does “khat, clunk, tuk” in 2nd to 3rd gearshift or giving gas after lifting off in 2nd gear or 3rd gear with a noticeable jerk.
Is the DSG DQ381 that unrefined? I think all the hype of DSG being smooth and relatively jerk free is uncalled for.
It’s jerk free definitely in 4-7 gear ranges along with lightning fast shifts which puts a grin on my face. But in slow traffic where gears are mostly between 1-4 it gets unrefined and does not exhibits behaviour which is to be expected with a car of this price point.
Nothing beats a TQ.
I think i know the noise you are referring to and is very common in VWAG DSG transmissions. My Audi A4 has a 7 speed DSG and is butter smooth at speeds but the moment you get in the first 3 gears you have clunking. This unfortunately is a normal characteristic of the DSG and is annoying. Coming from a BMW 3 to an AUDI A4 I took mine to the dealership within the first 3 weeks of buying it because i almost managed to stall it (yes almost stalled an automatic) in the middle of an intersection, after being told its normal i learnt how to drive it and now 2 years into ownership I absolutely love it. The car makes the noise when disengaging/engaging the transmission while coming to a stop/picking up from stop and that's what causes the clunking, if going from 2nd to 3rd it can be due to how VW set the gear ratios for the second gear which is causing the clunk. You can try a DSG remap if its bothering you but I would strongly advise against it when under warranty. Torque convertors are definitely smoother but DSG's come out on top when it comes to efficiency and responsiveness (albeit ZF8hp is closing the gap on that). Standard DSG tune is focused heavily on efficiency as opposed to smoothness and performance unless its GTI, GOLF R, RS or similar sports focused car and even then there is clunking. A DSG is a complex over engineered manual transmission made to work automatically.

I have learnt to manage the rpm and speeds to reduce the clunking as much as possible but every now and then its still is going to happen. Try driving the car in S mode if your transmission is equipped with one and see if you still feel the clunking.
rockporiom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 14:17   #58

Quote:
Update:
3. A/C was checked out to be okay in terms of Refrigerant, leakage. But still I feel the cooling is not upto the mark. Also, I hear gas hissing when starting car in morning for 2-3 seconds. When I pointed this out, I was informed that it's due to expansion valve.
I said every car has an expansion valve and none of my other vehicle makes this noise why is this car special? Again, the engineer present said that they found cooling up to specified level. I think I'll have to get A/C checked at reputable aftermarket workshop for Gas level etc.
Specifically, on the AC issue, you may want to refer to my experience with the same persistent issue. In total 6 complaints in 9 months and still counting.....
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242676
Old 8th October 2021, 21:15   #59
BHPian

My Tiguan's relationship with Service Centre is growing stronger than ever. The car requires a workshop visit atleast once every two month for warranty repairs or other concerns.
List of parts replaced till now:
1. DSG
2. A/C compressor and condensor
3. Link rod
4. Clock Spring/indicator assembly replace
5. Rear handheld boot lid light replaced (at my own cost), even though it wasn't working after removing it from housing from day 1!

In latest episode, after covering just 19,000km in about 9 months, front left suspension is making knocking noise in slight road joints, or on undulations.
I took it to S.C where all the bushes were checked, but nothing wrong was found.
It could be a failed Shock Absorber, but they'll only confirm it by interchanging it with right side and listening for noise. Back to S.C next week.

Also, DSG gearbox rattle during shifting or acceleration is deemed normal by VW Germany according to S.C.

Volkswagen, Das Auto.
Dhruv29 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th April 2022, 17:08   #60
BHPian

15th April 2022

THE GEARBOX HAS FAILED AGAIN!

Exactly after a year since I first noticed this problem in summers, I am facing same exact problem again!

After driving the car on highway for about 15km in ambient temperature of 42 degrees, again my car refused to accelerate and started knocking from engine side.

What is the problem with VW for launching this untested, useless product in Indian conditions in the name of CBU. Who should be held responsible for this?

In fact, just an hour back I received a comment on my older video on youtube from a viewer asking for help for exact same issue. Who knew that I’ll be posting the videos of the same issue again!

I’ll send my car to service centre again and god knows what kind of diagnosis they’ll do and how long my car will be stranded there.

Currently the ODO stands at approx 27,500km. I’ve driven the car only about 14k km post gearbox replacement

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th April 2022 at 10:41. Reason: Grammar, spelling and formatting related edits.
Dhruv29 is offline   (73) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks