Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2021, 17:32   #1

Creaking sound from the brakes & accelerator in my MG Hector

Hi,

I own an MG Hector petrol hybrid with roughly 6,900 km on the odo, purchased in November 2020.

Whenever the brake or accelerator is pressed, a creaking sound is heard, especially when the car nosedives (during braking) or the nose rises (during acceleration). It doesn't come at standstill, or while going over undulations, or while steering.

It has gone to the service centre 3 times for rectification, but the sound is still present. They say that they have tried everything from cleaning the brakes, to replacing the shock absorbers, retorquing the subframe mounts and greasing the necessary parts. Even the company people are in loop.

I have already faced a couple of problems since purchase, like within the first week, an LED DRL had to be replaced as it was faulty, a rattling noise from the rear had to be fixed, the handbrake cable of the left rear left wheel became loose and was hanging and had to be tightened. On the second day after purchase, it was discovered that the rear exhaust was rusted. This was reported and the service centre sprayed something to make it disappear. Since then, the car has been driven about 6,900 km and till now, the rust hasn't appeared. I can't understand how rust can appear within 1 month while the car was sitting idle at the dealership stockyard, and not appear after being driven for so many kilometres.

The plastics are really very creaky. They have been creaking on their own randomly (the dashboard, gear console, driver handle, sunroof, reading light control panel, etc.) since the very first month.

I don't think that these problems are desired / expected in a new car. I haven't discovered heard of these problems / issues from other MG Hector owners. Please advise as to what should I do as I have had to face so many problems in the vehicle continuously.

Now, I have completely lost trust in the vehicle as well as the brand and want a refund as problems are repeatedly coming up in my vehicle.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd June 2021 at 12:58. Reason: Typos, spacing, language
Sm00 is offline   (27) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 1st June 2021, 15:43   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Creaking sound from the brakes & accelerator in my MG Hector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm00 View Post
Whenever the brake or accelerator is pressed a creaking sound is heard especially when the car angle dips (as in braking) or raises(as in accelerating).It doesn't come on standstill , going over undulations , steering the wheels .
This seems to be a case of faulty front struts or strut mounting points. Ask the service centre to replace both struts, and check for cracks or corrosion at the upper mounting points. Fix this and check for noise again.
SS-Traveller is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 15:51   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
This seems to be a case of faulty front struts or strut mounting points. Ask the service centre to replace both struts, and check for cracks or corrosion at the upper mounting points. Fix this and check for noise again.
Sir , I am grateful for your reply .
Just wanted to tell that they say that even after replacing the shockers the sound persists , if it were polyurethane bushings then the sound would have come on standstill while pressing the gas or brake . 🙏
Sm00 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 16:17   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm00 View Post
...they say that even after replacing the shockers the sound persists...
Then this has to be a cracked chassis mounting point.
SS-Traveller is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 16:24   #5

Quote:
Okay , this is present since the very 1st month after purchase , what should be the course of action further?
Is it different than the subframe ?
How can it happen?
My cars travelled approx 70 km daily on good well paved roads till before the lockdown.
Old 1st June 2021, 16:26   #6
BHPian

Sir, a humble request. Please do not get irked up because of some minor rattling and creaking noises. These will invariably come in any Indian car because of the condition of the roads. It will be futile to spend so much time and energy in rectifying these sounds, since they'll invariably come back. I have learned to live with these minor niggles and sounds for a complete peace of mind.
kushagra452 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 16:43   #7

Sir , it is a new car just 6 months old under warranty .
No other Hector produces this noise to the best of my knowledge.
Also , after paying so much no one desires such problems to occur.
This is the 3rd or 4th issue I am facing after the purchase.
For this issue the car has gone the service station 3 times in a single month but still they aren't able to diagnose/repair.

Regards
Simar
Sm00 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 17:43   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

As mentioned mentioned by SS-Traveller, since you have checked all other possibilities, it must a be crack in the chassis/mounting point, get it checked at the earliest possible. Better take it to some FNG or water-wash center with lift and checkout the underbody thoroughly by yourself before going to authorized service center, because the service guys might not easily budge on this point if the this is the real cause, if they find it they might secretly repair but wont acknowledge it.

Last edited by wheelguy : 1st June 2021 at 17:46.
wheelguy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 17:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
As mentioned mentioned by SS-Traveller, since you have checked all other possibilities, it must a be crack in the chassis/mounting point, get it checked at the earliest possible. Better take it to some FNG or water-wash center with lift and checkout the underbody thoroughly by yourself before going to authorized service center, because the service guys might not easily budge on this point if the this is the real cause, if they find it they might secretly repair but wont acknowledge it.
I also think the same as they are trying to say that it is minor , and after brake cleaning the sound will go , which they have already done 2 times.
I will go the service centre myself and get the car inspected in front of me , as I have had doubts that have been reported to the company too(from the beginning )that the car might be accidental/suffering from manufacturing defects.

From my knowledge these sounds arent supposed to come before the 1,00,000km mark , whatever part may involved.
Old 1st June 2021, 18:00   #10
BHPian

Quote:
By chassis mounting point, do you mean where the engine is mounted on the chassis (apologies for my noob questions )
How severe is this issue ? What would happen if the car suffering from this hits pothole at high speeds ? I believe there was a thread about broken engine mount on a Kia Sonet (Engine mount breaks on brand-new Kia Sonet). Are these same issues ? Mods please remove this if it is off topic.
Akshay6988 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 18:11   #11
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

That's disappointing to hear from a newer brand, but you can contact MG over social media and highlight the issue with a clear video or something, you will get a prompt response from their team. MG got only nearly 60K customers in India, resolution will be a cakewalk for them unlike other brands with 500K or 1M+ customer base.

As mentioned by other BHPians it could be suspension mounts or even engine mounts. Being lockdown imposed in many places and restricted work hours we can only expect delayed response from local service centres but expecting that your issue will be resolved at the earliest.

Found few similar niggles reported at MG support page too.
Attached Thumbnails
Creaking sound from the brakes & accelerator in my MG Hector-1622551250717.jpg  

Creaking sound from the brakes & accelerator in my MG Hector-1622551265208.jpg  

Creaking sound from the brakes & accelerator in my MG Hector-1622551277495.jpg  

TorqueIndia is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 18:22   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Open the rear hatch and get someone heavy enough to jounce the vehicle a few times - observe for any creaking noise, most likely some silicone lubricant spray in the right place should stop it, avoid replacing things unless really required - factory fit is often not replicated elsewhere.

Suspension noise is not uncommon in that type of rear suspension even the new Safari suffers from rear suspension noise as the road surface gets uneven.
Kosfactor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 18:31   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
That's disappointing to hear from a newer brand, but you can contact MG over social media and highlight the issue with a clear video or something, you will get a prompt response from their team. MG got only nearly 60K customers in India, resolution will be a cakewalk for them unlike other brands with 500K or 1M+ customer base.

As mentioned by other BHPians it could be suspension mounts or even engine mounts. Being lockdown imposed in many places and restricted work hours we can only expect delayed response from local service centres but expecting that your issue will be resolved at the earliest.

Found few similar niggles reported at MG support page too.
Thank you sir for your reply already gone to the service centre 3 times for this issue within 1 month before lockdown , company people are in the loop as well.
These problems are not desired of a new vehicle , this isn't the first problem faced by me on this car , this is the 5 th problem also this is not a squealing noise but a 'creaking noise' like the hinge of an old door
The cars that I own /have owned have gone to their respective service stations 15 times in 15 years , 9 times in 9 years , this has gone 10 times within 6 months , 2-3 days for LED replacement, 5 days for this creaking noise , another 2 -3 times for servicing and other miscellaneous vists 2-3 times for other faults.

I have been facing faults from the 1st week itself.

Have given them so many chances but now the limits have been crossed .

After spending so much one doesn't desire to be harassed in such a manner.

Whats the purpose of buying a new vehicle when it has to repeatedly undergo repairs.
Sm00 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 18:33   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
By chassis mounting point, do you mean where the engine is mounted on the chassis (apologies for my noob questions )
How severe is this issue ?
The upper end of the strut, where it fits into the body, is the area under suspicion. The sheet metal, where the strut is bolted on, may have a minor crack. A very close inspection after disassembly would be required to determine if such a crack exists.
SS-Traveller is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 18:37   #15

Mod note: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Open the rear hatch and get someone heavy enough to jounce the vehicle a few times - observe for any creaking noise, most likely some silicone lubricant spray in the right place should stop it, avoid replacing things unless really required - factory fit is often not replicated elsewhere.

Suspension noise is not uncommon in that type of rear suspension even the new Safari suffers from rear suspension noise as the road surface gets uneven.
Thank you Sir for your advise , but checked putting weight on the fenders , at the rear , sound can't be replicated.

Sound comes from the front right hand side
Only while braking, accelerating ,also noticed when the full wheel is turned to either side and the car is allowed to roll back from the slope.

Quote:
The upper end of the strut, where it fits into the body, is the area under suspicion. The sheet metal, where the strut is bolted on, may have a minor crack. A very close inspection after disassembly would be required to determine if such a crack exists.
Thank you sir , will definitely tell them to check that during inspection.
Is it desired of a new car as this problem is there from the first month itself.

Can it be a manufacturing defect?

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st June 2021 at 19:18. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.
Sm00 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks