Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2021, 19:26   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: Creaking sound from the brakes & accelerator in my MG Hector

You are able to replicate the sound right? Will you be able to grab an audio bite of the same? Most of the apparent stuff has been discussed here already. Hence checking for some new leads
Jaggu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 19:35   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
You are able to replicate the sound right? Will you be able to grab an audio bite of the same? Most of the apparent stuff has been discussed here already. Hence checking for some new leads
Seems like OP has quoted me with a reply that is yet to be approved, while replies to other posts posted much later have been approved, strange!

Last edited by wheelguy : 1st June 2021 at 19:37.
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 22:11   #18
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm00 View Post
Whenever the brake or accelerator is pressed a creaking sound is heard especially when the car angle dips (as in braking) or raises(as in accelerating).It doesn't come on standstill , going over undulations , steering the wheels .
Since you mention it is heard when vehicle is not on level ground, i am thinking of how much of an incline are you talking about?

Recently while reversing a fortuner slowly on a washing ramp i experienced heavy creaking.

It felt like the vehicles ESP, or the HILL-Descent feature was working hard at the point of grabbing the brakes which was resulting in these sounds. I later got to know that the brakes both front and back were completely shot on the car which might be the reason for the excessive creaking.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 22:56   #19

Quote:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CGE...w?usp=drivesdk
Sir , this is the link of the audio. It can't be replicated , it comes on accelerating (sometimes even in higher gears)
, braking also when the steering is turned to either side and the car is allowed to roll from the slope .
Sound comes from the front right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Since you mention it is heard when vehicle is not on level ground, i am thinking of how much of an incline are you talking about?

Recently while reversing a fortuner slowly on a washing ramp i experienced heavy creaking.

It felt like the vehicles ESP, or the HILL-Descent feature was working hard at the point of grabbing the brakes which was resulting in these sounds. I later got to know that the brakes both front and back were completely shot on the car which might be the reason for the excessive creaking.
Sir , by incline I mean is that , as you brake the bonnet dips, in acceleration the bonnet raises a bit.

It comes even while driving on flat area , only comes on the slope when the steering wheel is turned to either side and car is allowed to roll on the slope without pressing any pedal, if the car is allowed to roll straight without pressing any pedals then no sound.

No sound on potholes discovered till now.
Sm00 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 10:43   #20
Team-BHP Support

This sounds like one of the chassis joints creaking may be due to poor sealing or the strut mount area flexing. Another very silly culprit can be the seat springs
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 10:50   #21

Quote:
This sounds like one of the chassis joints creaking may be due to poor sealing or the strut mount area flexing. Another very silly culprit can be the seat springs
Thank you for the reply
Don't think that it is of the seat as the sound is heard from
Right front side , much more forward from the driver seat area sometimes it is heard even outside the car also..
Are these major problems ?
Manufacturing defect?
Old 2nd June 2021, 13:29   #22
Team-BHP Support

Re: Creaking sound from the brakes & accelerator in my MG Hector

Quote:
Manufacturing defect?
A thorough physical and visual inspection only can reveal if it is a serious issue or not. The main thing to watch out for from your side is for the sound occurrence is increasing or the sound itself is increasing.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 18:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

I feel sorry for you to suffer so many niggles on MG. MG QC and ASS have been so far exemplary, and I hope they address your issues at the earliest.

Quote:
Whenever the brake or accelerator is pressed, a creaking sound is heard, especially when the car nosedives (during braking) or the nose rises (during acceleration). It doesn't come at standstill, or while going over undulations, or while steering.
Can you record and share a video? Will be easier to identify the issues.

Quote:
On the second day after purchase, it was discovered that the rear exhaust was rusted. This was reported and the service centre sprayed something to make it disappear.
Again, if you have it, can you share the picture of rusted exhaust? You should post it here, as I am sure, someone from MG reads TBhp, and would help you with corrective actions. Even if you don't have the rusted pic of Exhaust, do share the picture of exhaust after it has been spray painted.
07CR is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 21:23   #24
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir , by incline I mean is that , as you brake the bonnet dips, in acceleration the bonnet raises a bit.

It comes even while driving on flat area , only comes on the slope when the steering wheel is turned to either side and car is allowed to roll on the slope without pressing any pedal, if the car is allowed to roll straight without pressing any pedals then no sound.

No sound on potholes discovered till now.
Creak of metallic nature or squishy dry rubber? Have requested access to listen to the audio file.

It could be rubber bushes of the anti roll bar, or the suspension mount bushes.

If its a rattle, then it could be a steering rack ends.

Will listen to the audio before commenting further.

Heard it…

Sounds like a vibration. If this is a audio clip which was taken while sitting inside the car then i believe…

-Check tightness of engine guard. See if all the bolts holding it in place are okay. If some of them are stripped then the guard can rattle. Especially on turns.

-Something behind the dashboard. It could be a spot weld which could have come loose. Check behind the dash, could be one of the welds which holds numerous metallic brackets to the firewall.

-Check the cross beams behind the roof liner too.

I have the same noise in my Duster. Have been trying to figure out the root cause. It’s definitely from somewhere inside the cabin. Comes and goes in extreme heat or cold.

Last edited by Tgo : 2nd June 2021 at 21:31.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 11:59   #25
BHPian

Just heard the Audio Clip. Something definitely mechanical off here. I'm unable to zero in on the issue just from the audio there, but I think you could check the following things,

a) Front struts & strut mounts.
b) Front upper arm & lower arm bushes.
c) Steering Rack
d) Front brake discs & caliper mounts

I hope this gets resolved soon. Please don't lose hope or give up on this. You don't deserve so much trouble on a brand new car.
CalmConquests is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 12:53   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Creak of metallic nature or squishy dry rubber? Have requested access to listen to the audio file.

It could be rubber bushes of the anti roll bar, or the suspension mount bushes.

If its a rattle, then it could be a steering rack ends.

Will listen to the audio before commenting further.

Heard it…

Sounds like a vibration. If this is a audio clip which was taken while sitting inside the car then i believe…

-Check tightness of engine guard. See if all the bolts holding it in place are okay. If some of them are stripped then the guard can rattle. Especially on turns.

-Something behind the dashboard. It could be a spot weld which could have come loose. Check behind the dash, could be one of the welds which holds numerous metallic brackets to the firewall.

-Check the cross beams behind the roof liner too.

I have the same noise in my Duster. Have been trying to figure out the root cause. It’s definitely from somewhere inside the cabin. Comes and goes in extreme heat or cold.
Thank you sir , the sound has been steady since December , I'll definitely get it inspected , according to my knowledge these sounds come only after rough wear and tear of vehicles which have travelled 80k to 100000 km.
The sound can sometimes even be heard from outside too.
Just made a new discovery that the rear door have started vibrating while opening and closing and also have started making noise like an old door.

They specially vibrate over the hold position joints. This is not present in the front doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmConquests View Post
Just heard the Audio Clip. Something definitely mechanical off here. I'm unable to zero in on the issue just from the audio there, but I think you could check the following things,

a) Front struts & strut mounts.
b) Front upper arm & lower arm bushes.
c) Steering Rack
d) Front brake discs & caliper mounts

I hope this gets resolved soon. Please don't lose hope or give up on this. You don't deserve so much trouble on a brand new car.
Sir , they say that they have checked the suspension , replaced the shockers , still the sound is present , if it were the brakes then it wouldn't have come in acceleration.
Old 6th June 2021, 07:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

I will say it out loud. It will be best if you could provide some evidence here. Evidence makes more noise, than just word. After you provide it here, put the same on twitter too. Your issues will be fixed in no time this way !
07CR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 07:47   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the reply
Don't think that it is of the seat as the sound is heard from
Right front side , much more forward from the driver seat area sometimes it is heard even outside the car also..
Manufacturing defect?
Areas to look for:
Both side bonnet hinges
All four corner suspension springs
All door hinges

For point 1) you can try pressing hard on the area where the bonnet hinges are, if you hear a slight squeal/squeak every time you press, it's time to realign and lubricate the hinge

Point2) press the car up/down on each wheel, the squeaky suspension should act up on moment. Please be aware that these springs squeak even when there is dry dirt on them, sometimes all you need is a good pressure wash on the underbody and suspension components.

Point3) open and close each door one by one. Open the door to its full extent, try to wriggle the door up and down to observe hinge play and see if the sound is replicated. If you hear the sound, time to get the hinges tightened and lubricated.

If nothing works, take a rubber softener spray and spray, wipe and rub down all rubber beadings around the car.

Doing all of the above will most likely get rid of the noise.
AirbusCapt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 08:20   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
This seems to be a case of faulty front struts or strut mounting points. Ask the service centre to replace both struts, and check for cracks or corrosion at the upper mounting points. Fix this and check for noise again.
+1 to this. I had the same problem with my Volkswagen in 2015. Turned out to be a problem with the RHS Front Strut. Since your car is new it is unlikely that there should be any cracks or corrosion that serious. Once I had a new strut in place the car run perfectly. Generally, such sounds aren't too serious to fix. The bigger pain is generally finding people in the service centre who are competent enough to diagnose where exactly is this noise coming from.

You mentioned that the car has gone in 3 times for the same problem? Has the issue been escalated yet? If you wish to escalate the issue further feel free to drop me a private message, I might have a couple of people at MG who could help you.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 10:28   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...they say that even after replacing the shockers the sound persists...
This is the crucial bit. It would be good if you insist that they change the struts in front of you and check.
Quote:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CGE...w?usp=drivesdk
Sir , this is the link of the audio.
The link says "Access denied", so I cannot listen to the sound. Need another link.

Since I note your location to be Delhi, the best alternative I can offer you is to PM me, and I can personally try to diagnose the issue.

Edit: Could access the sound file. Sounds metallic, much like ungreased springs or cracked metal.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 6th June 2021 at 10:31.
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks