Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2021, 20:44   #31
BHPian

Re: Yet another DQ200 gearbox failure - VW Polo GT TSI

Hi GTO, I have a question. Not sure if its sensible. Can I drive with a DQ200 gear box failure using the manual mode or paddle shifters if the car has one. The reason for my doubt is some people have told that jerking issue is not there in the S-Mode. So was thinking if that alternative works.

I was evaluating a Tiguan 5 seater vs Jeep Compass and came across this thread. So wanted to check. Even the ZF sourced TQ gear box had reported issues and hence was initially thinking that DQ 200 and ZF 9STQ are both issue prone. Also VW has more centers as compared to Jeep to service even if issues crop up

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th June 2021 at 16:52. Reason: Formatting.
Old 25th May 2021, 22:11   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalitha Venkat View Post
Hi GTO, I have a question. Not sure if its sensible. Can I drive with a DQ200 gear box failure using the manual mode or paddle shifters if the car has one. The reason for my doubt is some people have told that jerking issue is not there in the S-Mode. So was thinking if that alternative works

I was evaluating a Tiguan 5 seater vs Jeep Compass and came across this thread. So wanted to check. Even the ZF sourced TQ gear box had reported issues and hence was initially thinking that DQ 200 and ZF 9STQ are both issue prone. Also VW has more centers as compared to Jeep to service even if issues crop up
No you can't. The tiptronic mode/ paddles are again electronic aids that has to go through the mechatronic unit. The car will just cease to move if the mechatronics fails. And the DSG gearbox expected in the upcoming Tiguan with 2 L TSI engine is the different wet unit DQ381. Its supposedly more reliable than the dry clutch DQ200 unit in Polo/Vento and upcoming Taigun.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th June 2021 at 16:52. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed and editing quoted post
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 10:34   #33
BHPian

Off topic! But do you think it’s possible to retrofit a manual gearbox onto your engine? I know it’s easier said, but the lower end polo variants came with a Manual.

It’s obvious they’ll have a different set of gear ratios, but has anyone studied the feasibility or is it impossible?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th June 2021 at 12:50. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 26th May 2021, 10:54   #34
BHPian

I too have a 2018 Polo GT. And i recently started noticing something different.

On cold startup, the 'P' sign of the gearbox keeps blinking. This continues till i change the gear. If i bring it back to Park, the blinking doesnt happen again. It has started only recently.

The car itself runs fine. the gearbox also responds fine. Just wanted to check with fellow TBHPians if the blinking is the sign of some error or something else?

I was trying to upload of video of it, but i dont think video uploads are supported here.
Old 26th May 2021, 15:29   #35
BHPian

Just came across your ordeal. Please check this thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...da-mumbai.html (The new normal, or the old usual - Service nightmare with Autobahn Skoda, Mumbai)

We had a similar issue with a friends car, all was done under goodwill. Seems similar, they did not know what was wrong, the car would not move forward or backwards.
Said mechatronic was an issue, then clutch and kept stating different things.

Finally, they changed the entire thing, I am sure, not knowing what was wrong in the first palce.
Old 26th May 2021, 19:13   #36
BHPian

It seems like the stars are not in favour of some of us GT TSI owners here. I managed to hydrolock my car last week and the SA has orally quoted me 4 lakhs for repairs! Even though the car has bumper to bumper insurance there was no engine protection cover. I had earlier forded through the same road many times but this time it came back and bit me. The water was upto the door sill and a couple of Maruti Altos, Wagon Rs and a Skoda Rapid went pass me without any fuss. I suspect whether the Euro-spec air channel guide has something to do with this. I briefly thought about giving the car outside for fixing the engine but the SA says there might be damage to the gear box.
corvus corax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 20:31   #37
BHPian

I sold off my Polo GT TSi after 4 years of use. Cant imagine owning the car beyond its warranty period. The absolute pleasure of driving the car was more than negated by the frequent sensor failures, Check Engine Light blinks, Brake Rotor Warping and poor response from the Dealer as well as Company. Realized that owning this car beyond 4 years is a huge risk and sold it off last month.
raman.aries is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 04:46   #38
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant316 View Post
On cold startup, the 'P' sign of the gearbox keeps blinking. This continues till i change the gear. If i bring it back to Park, the blinking doesnt happen again. It has started only recently.I was trying to upload of video of it, but i dont think video uploads are supported here.
This can happen due to two reasons, mechatronics issue & low battery. Mostly issue will be due to low battery. Please check the status of the battery.
Old 28th May 2021, 19:59   #39
BHPian

Hello,

I would recommend you to go through the https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-resolved.html (VW Polo / Vento DSG: Gearbox Jerking Issue! EDIT: now resolved!) thread. It helped me a lot during my gearbox failure and mechatronics failure.

This was is 2015 and 2016 respectively and I am from Pune - I say this because the dealership makes a world of difference.

A few questions:
1. Are we - the dealership sure the problem is as they say it is? And do they give a hundred percent assurance that this will solve the problem.
2. Excuse me if I missed it - How many kilometers your car has run?

How to deal with this
1. You need a lot of patience or You need to have contact of Mr. Ashish G or higher up
2. VW will try to test your patience. I know you know this as you have tried to reach the customer contact which is redirected to your dealership. Unfortunately, for me I had my entire dealings with the Service Centre
3. Follow the escalation matrix, try to reach the higher ups at the dealerships. Draft a mail to VW and Copy Paste to as many mail IDs you can find out.
4. As per your symptoms and the car parts changed in 3-4 TSi's that I know of can be (in my experience)
a. A simple software problem
b. a problem with the ignition system - Ignition leads, throttle body the works (i might sound crazy, but that's the case)
c. Transmission - Mechatronics, Multiclutch, Entire Gearbox
5. If you are lucky maybe VW has improved, but the resolution for GB replacement under warrants takes around a month minimum. For me it took upwards of 50 days
6. Ask for a loaner car, according to their policy, more then 7-8days you can ask (be strict that this is your primary car).
7. Locate this guy who has reins to apply for the warranty. He will tell you a million reasons why he cannot claim this under warranty, and VW will not accept this. Be stern, ask him to apply and quote why VW denies warranty. Also press on the Fact that people have got warranty claims even after warranty and it is a known fact that sometimes the gearboxes fail.

Only one suggestion, be calm and soldier on. Try to claim things under warranty as believe me you are applicable to the warranty. But subtly you will have to hit it where it hurts. Only then you'll get you claim. All the best!
MartinVirage is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 12:38   #40
BHPian

Since this thread seems to be the most current, posting here:

2013 GT TSI. 68k kms. No issues with shifting till now. Serviced only at VW.

This morning after cold start, the 'P' on the dashboard started blinking. I took a video. Then shifted to R and it engaged. N and D also no problems. Went back to 'P' and no blinking. The 3 odd kms to my office, no issues, shifted as smoothly as it always has.

As an aside, my 2nd battery is now 4 years old and the crank takes slightly longer, during crank, the cabin light and the dashboard illuminations almost go off and last week or so, there's a weird 'trrrr' sound at the fuel lid when I unlock. Dunno if that too is related to a weak battery, but the battery is definitely weak.

I'm wondering whether to change the battery and observe this issue or send it to VW for service and checking. Please advise.
cpabhijit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 12:43   #41
BHPian

Get the battery checked at a reputed battery shop to completely rule out battery issue. Then if required send it to VW for further diagnosis if the light blinks again.

Isolating basic things will help you narrow down on the actual issue. Your battery does look like its weak. Are you running the car sufficiently? Hope this is not due to car not being in use.

Regards
Manoj.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th June 2021 at 13:04. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 8th June 2021, 14:03   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabhijit View Post
Since this thread seems to be the most current, posting here:

2013 GT TSI. 68k kms. No issues with shifting till now. Serviced only at VW.

This morning after cold start, the 'P' on the dashboard started blinking. I took a video. Then shifted to R and it engaged. N and D also no problems. Went back to 'P' and no blinking. The 3 odd kms to my office, no issues, shifted as smoothly as it always has...
Update: Same P blinking came up the next morning. Battery read 12.2v at 'Off', 10.8v at ACC and 8.8v at crank. Replaced battery. Post the change, the 'trrr' sound at the fuel lid has disappeared and more importantly, P is not blinking anymore (3 days' observation). Will update if there's any further change in course.
cpabhijit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 14:44   #43
BHPian

Update:
Due to lockdown in Kerala, dealer was shut and hence dealer had requested to wait till lockdown is lifted. It got lifted 2 days back and the dealer informed that VW did not accept the good-will warranty (and no reasons for rejection) and the dealer is ready to give me a hefty discount of 20,000/-. ie 1.9 lacs will be my total repair bill.

I have sent mail to the mail ids I received, mentioning my plight and has requested them to relook into the same. The worst part of VW India is that they are least bothered in talking directly to a customer even for such critical scenarios and is passing the ball to the dealer. And dealer is stating that they had tried everything, but VW is not approving good-will warranty.

It has kind of nailed my coffin for any future purchases with VW. Anyways VW is too chill. They don't believe in customer retention.
petrol_power is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 15:51   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Update:It has kind of nailed my coffin for any future purchases with VW. Anyways VW is too chill. They don't believe in customer retention.
This is really sad, if your services were done on time and you followed all the recommended replacement schedule, i do not understand why this was rejected. Even GTO had sent a link of this thread to higher ups at VW to help you out. They know this gearbox is known to fail prematurely but customer retention means nothing to this brand.

I was meted out similar treatment for the faulty 1.6 TDi injectors and VW did not budge, please send this out to the higher ups at VW and other mail id's you have. You can PM GTO and see if he can help you out with this, if all else fails, be prepared to swallow the bitter pill and get it repaired. Life teaches us lessons, hope this ends on a positive note for you.
coolboy007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 16:30   #45
BHPian

Update:
VW Dealer contacted me today mentioning that VW has decided to extend special support, and mentioned that some percentage of Multiclutch and flywheel cost will be covered by VW. The car will be checked after this replacement and if they find any issues in mechatronics, VW would bear the full cost for mechatronics unit.

Thanking everyone for the support and also for the encouragement given to pursue the issue. A very Special thanks to GTO and AKSarkar1 for the support without which this would not have happened.

Would update once the various financial are worked out. But I am happy that they have responded for the support.

Thanking everyone once again and thanking the team-bhp (God-send) platform.
petrol_power is online now   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks