Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2021, 20:52   #46
BHPian

re: Hyundai Creta with 1.15 lakh km | AT gearbox fails, quote of 7.1 lakhs | EDIT: Resolved (page 4)

Due to such QC issues and safety rating, I have never recommended Hyundai/Kia cars, although they ‘feel’ desirable.

Whether Tata Harrier Diesel AT has the same transmission?
swapnil.awate is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 21:39   #47
BHPian

re: Hyundai Creta with 1.15 lakh km | AT gearbox fails, quote of 7.1 lakhs | EDIT: Resolved (page 4)

Is there a difference in the AT box used in Creta 1.6 diesel and the new Creta 1.5 diesel AT?

Reason I ask this is because as per the Hyundai website they prescribe a different type of transmission fluid for the 1.5L motor as compared to the older 1.6L CRDI unit.

Refer the attached document. The new Creta is not mentioned but all new verna, which comes with same 1.5L VGT motor has a different grade of transmission oil than the older 1.6L creta.

Also worth noticing is the stark difference in the quantity of the oil. The older ones take anywhere from 6 to 8 litres whereas the newer ones take only 1.8 litres.

I own a Seltos Diesel AT, done 20k kms in 5 months. Given my relatively higher usage I would like to get the transmission fluid replaced around 40-50kms mark just to prolong the life of the gearbox and vehicle per se.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Creta with 1.15 lakh km | AT gearbox fails, quote of 7.1 lakhs | EDIT: Resolved (page 4)-0001.jpg  

Speedshift is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 21:48   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedshift View Post
Is there a difference in the AT box...

Also worth noticing is the stark difference in the quantity of the oil. The older ones take anywhere from 6 to 8 litres whereas the newer ones take only 1.8 litres.
This page is a mess. I think ATF and manual gearbox oils are mixed up. 6 to 8 litres is ATF and the 1.x is gearbox oil. Check the grade of oil vs transmission fluid.
mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 09:46   #49
BHPian

My two cents.

I’ve replaced two gearboxes so far.

Audi Q5 2.0 TFSI (Petrol), complete 7 speed DSG unit replacement. Audi India quoted INR 9 Lacs, around 2 months of negotiations later I got 50% discount and a brand new gearbox was flown in from Germany and installed. The entire unit now carries a 2 year Audi India warranty. The car was 9 years and 95,000 km old at the time of replacement. This was done in December 2020.

XUV 5OO W8 MT (Diesel), 6 speed manual transmission gearbox failed, Mahindra India quoted around INR 3.5 lacs. More than the car’s IDV. I went to a scrap market, picked up a used 2-3 year old transmission. Got it checked / inspected by a trusted FNG, and then installed. Total cost INR 45,000 for the GB and INR 5,000 for installation. No warranty on this. The car was at 7 years and 85,000 kms, today it’s at 1,35,000 kms and running fine.

The Hyundai Creta is hugely popular, and second hand spares should be easy to find. If you have an FNG, then take their support and find a used automatic gearbox.

Hope this helps!
maglev is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 11:54   #50

Wow! I never expected this kind of service from Hyundai! Honestly, so far, creta has been the best selling car in its segment for quite some time now, all thanks to it’s reliability! It looks like this issue is an isolated incident. Still, Hyundai India should take action because this is damaging their brand reputation.
Robinzilla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 13:59   #51
BHPian

This post merely confirms my notions about Hyundai ASCs. As an owner of an 8 year old i20 Asta petrol MT, I can confirm that maintaining an out of warranty i20 at the dealer has been an expensive affair. On a simple clutch master cylinder and slave cyinlider failure , when the car was merely 6 years old (replaced twice) I have paid bills upto 30 to 45 k for clutch a clutch overhaul and a plethora of other ASC manufactured issues, which owing to my busy schedule then, I couldn't audit/challenge. I used to receive calls saying so and so parts are going bust. Maintaining any reasonably equipped out of warranty Hyundai at the ASC is a costly affair. Ever since then, FNG has been the way forward.(With supervision of the work being undertaken and constant referring to the owners manual)

Coming to the elephant in the room, the lacklustre job on the gearbox which was initially undertaken cannot be overlooked. Such a premature failure in an otherwise reliable technology (Torque converters) needs accounting for. ASC ought to replace the same as a goodwill gesture or atleast subsidize it to a great extent. Spending 7 lakhs is ludicrous. If they don't agree to, I would recommend taking it to any decent luxury car FNG or a transmission rebuiding shop since they would atleast diagnose it properly and the quote would be a fraction of this. Many shops provide a warranty as well for their work.

Regards.....
raunaqv471 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 15:42   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raunaqv471 View Post
This post merely confirms my notions about Hyundai ASCs. As an owner of an 8 year old i20 Asta petrol MT, I can confirm that maintaining an out of warranty i20 at the dealer has been an expensive affair.

Maintaining any reasonably equipped out of warranty Hyundai at the ASC is a costly affair. Ever since then, FNG has been the way forward.(With supervision of the work being undertaken and constant referring to the owners manual).
Thanks for this helpful post. Can I ask which is the Hyundai dealer in Mumbai you’ve used and whereabouts are they based.

We own an automatic i10 ourselves (2018 June) and I’m a bit disheartened reading some of these posts. We were hoping to hold on to out i10 for the long haul and I’m just conscious now that Hyundai needs a closer oversight than I would have ordinarily thought.

Last edited by Axe77 : 13th April 2021 at 15:43.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 16:17   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Thanks for this helpful post. Can I ask which is the Hyundai dealer in Mumbai you’ve used and whereabouts are they based.

We own an automatic i10 ourselves (2018 June) and I’m a bit disheartened reading some of these posts. We were hoping to hold on to out i10 for the long haul and I’m just conscious now that Hyundai needs a closer oversight than I would have ordinarily thought.
Hi, thanks for your post. I have sent you a PM with the details.

Regards....
raunaqv471 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 17:35   #54

Hyundai Cars are cheap to buy, exorbitant to service and maintain PERIOD - it is also the quickest and guaranteed way to bankruptcy

Sharing my personal experience with Hyundai Service.

Circa 2008 in my Viva CRDI I hit a dog near Vellore on my way back from Chennai and the repairs went on for almost 6+ months to get the car back into problem free state. Accident repairs were carried out at KUN Hyundai, Vellore Total Bill: 10K from pocket, balance from Insurance. After this every time I took the car out there were issues and a series of problems started occurring. Took the car back to Trident Hyundai only to get a quote of 2.75Lakhs. That was the last I ever visited Hyundai and its ASC's New ECU was quoted 58K+ taxes, fortunately it was a Bosch OE unit and I got the same direct from Bosch at 16K. A 5 inch long reverse S shaped aluminum pipe from the Common Rail to the injector was quoted at 6K+ taxes, Bosch BCS repaired it with a simple cleaning using salt paper and Teflon tape used in plumbing. Having sold their car cheap, HASC will milk you dry and extract every pound of flesh you have.

After this incident I never gave any of my cars for ASC's including initial free services and opted out of warranty by getting service done outside. The New Thar 2020 is the first to break this rule and has gone back to Mahindra MASC and I am already facing the heat.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th April 2021 at 19:44. Reason: Spacing corrected. Please set your signature in the correct manner.
Satskum is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 11:36   #55

Hyundai has always had fishy customer service. My Dad purchased an Accent back in the early 2000s when it was a newly launched car and we had a troublesome ownership experience with the car even though it was driven only around 5-10k yearly in the city.
Since that we have never purchased a Hyundai car. I was getting tempted with the upcoming Alcazar - not anymore after reading this post.

I hope they rectify the issue quickly - if they still don't bother, I would suggest you demand the vehicle back from them - they have no right to hold it yet alone move it to another location without informing you; take it to another reputed multi brand car workshop in the city and have them do a diagnosis and make sure to document the whole inspection process via video. They might even be able to tell what jugaad Hyundai did in the past when the issue first came up.
anujarora94 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 12:52   #56
BHPian

Hyundai gives a 5 year/unlimited warranty in Europe. Why not India? It used to be 7 years before.
Indian2003 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 14:01   #57
BHPian

I can see a marked difference in my Creta servicing at HASS compared to my old Baleno servicing at Suraksha.

At Hyundai, they just dont want to check/do anything other than the standard low level regular maintenance tasks like cleaning, fluild and filter changes, etc. The service advisors are more interested about upselling decarbonisation, waxing etc. They dont allow you to visit the workshop. When I sneaked in last time, I rarely saw any car bonet open at the service bays. Not sure how they do the servicing.

Not sure about other MASS, but Suraksha was good and I miss the friendly atmosphere at MASS.
m8002? is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 16:28   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post
I use to own a Hyundai i20 earlier. People talk about Hyundai ASS being good. but to me the only difference is that while others stab you , Hyundai ASS stabs you with a smile on the face while simultaneously explaining to us how sweet they are. And if you raise a complaint to Hyundai (the company), they hand over us again to the same ASS , to be stabbed again.

Hearing about the TC failure is disheartening. I own an Xcent Automatic, though it has completed just 42K km in 6 years, and has been trouble free so far. I thought Hyundai is amongst the better ones in terms of after sales service, though personally I didn't have to get anything major repaired. Which OEMs would you rate better than Hyundai?
Youngindus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 16:14   #59

ISSUE RESOLVED - THANKS TO TeamBHP

Fellow BHPians, I have happy news to update on this issue. The vehicle was delivered yesterday at home, and they didn't even charge me.

A little background: I am the Son in Law of the aforementioned person - Jolly Joseph. I am a TeamBHP member since for a long time and had asked him to add the teambhp email id on to the complaint mail to Hyundai in Jan. But the ASC and the people we talked to were very clear that they didn't bother about we publicizing the issue on social media. And then the TeamBHP post happened, and it went really viral, on both the platform and on the TeamBHP FB page.

We got a call last week from the ASC asking us for a permission to take the vehicle to Mysore for a long test drive, and my FiL permitted them to do that. And last week - 17th April 2021 - 5 months after giving the vehicle in Advaith Hyundai, MAhadevapura, we got the vehicle back. They have repaired/replaced the gearbox, because the vehicle is smooth and fine to drive, but we have not received any communication or document on the service being done. Neither did they charge us anything for the payment. The ASC executive who came for the delivery wanted a letter stating that the vehicle was delivered in perfect condition, but my FiL refused to give a letter since we were not aware of what is the current condition of the car. Since the executive was a junior guy, and was scared to go back without the letter, he wrote a conditional acceptance letter that the vehicle was handed over to him and he will give a full acceptance after they give us update on the services/repairs/parts replacement done to the car. The ASC has agreed that they will send a senior guy on the coming monday, and update us on the details. I shall update this thread as and when we get an update.

It looks like TeamBHP support and the public backlash actually helped the company/ASC to come around and give the necessary service quality to their customer. I wish they gave the same service and preference to every customer, but the world's not perfect and we need customer groups like TeamBHP to get our rights. And in this case I am pretty sure that the company was kept in the dark by the ASC.

Thanks once again, TeamBHP and fellow enthusiasts. Peace out.
sunilpthomas is offline   (86) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 16:42   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilpthomas View Post
ISSUE RESOLVED - THANKS TO TeamBHP
The Hyundai Creta engine seizure issue first and this gearbox issue later. It's extremely satisfying to see that both have been resolved

You have done the right thing by asking for a proper bill and the list of work done by them. I hope the part in question has been replaced completely and no jugaads have been carried out. I also hope the dealership in question is taken to task by Hyundai and an example is set. The biggest takeaway from this is that Hyundai does listen to it's customers provided the issue is escalated. Hope they come up with a more transparent system which saves time.

While the exact reason could not be determined in both cases, I do hope Hyundai also take cognisance of the fact that QC needs to be tightened and long term reliability cannot be taken lightly.
vishy76 is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks