Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2021, 10:49   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Types of Coolants and debunking myths associated with grades & colours

When did you last change your coolant (I guess never) and how many km has your car run?

Don't believe petrol pump mechanics and especially shell pump mechanics, they're crooks. This is a common scam with them, not dipping the stick in fully and then claiming your oil or your coolant are low.

Go to a Hyundai dealer to check if you are that concerned, but you can see your coolant tank and the level in it as the tank is semi transparent plastic. If the coolant is between minimum and maximum you should be fine.

By the way Hyundai coolant is green in colour not blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin0412 View Post
Hi All ,
I took my i20 ( Dec 2019 Model ) to the shell petrolbunk yesterday , they opened my hood and checked the coolant. The mechanic dripped the coolant onto a surface and told me that the coolant quality is not good and that its just water now . He told me that the coolant has to be in blue color but mine is colourless so its spoit and asked me to replace it there itself with their shell coolant
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 11:01   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin0412 View Post

But i have a 200km drive this weekend , and i am worried now.

My coolant level is full but i wanted to know if the shell mechanic is indeed right.

Does the coolant for my i20 have to in Blue?
My coolant is colourless , does that mean that my coolant is spoilt ?
Any advice will be highly appreciated
Your vehicle is fairly new and the coolant level is full - You can let Hyundai do the service in regular intervals rather than dealing with crooks in Shell fuel stations.

Water is a good coolant, when in doubt - top up with some distilled water and you should be alright. Check your owner`s manual as to when the coolant should be replaced, perhaps after 2 or 3 years or maybe even later.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 18:53   #63
BHPian

Experts
In my vehicle (Thar Di), coolant recommendation is ‘meeting JIS K2234 specification’.
‘Maximile ultracool’ and ‘coolmax’ are neither easily available in market nor on amazon/boodmo etc.

I zeroed on ECSTAR coolant to get a genuine product from MGP dealer.
ECSTAR has 2 products. One is green and other is yellow but there is no specifications like JIS K2234 printed on it and also they do not describe that it is OAT like shell.

What is the difference between these green ECSTAR and yellow ECSTAR? Price for both are same.

How to identify the category like IAT, OAT, HOAT?

Which one I should go for?
Attached Thumbnails
Types of Coolants and debunking myths associated with grades & colours-ecstar-yellow99000m24120639_4.png  

Types of Coolants and debunking myths associated with grades & colours-ecstar-green-99000m24120551_4.png  

Old 13th August 2022, 20:59   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Experts
In my vehicle (Thar Di), coolant recommendation is ‘meeting JIS K2234 specification’.
‘Maximile ultracool’ and ‘coolmax’ are neither easily available in market nor on amazon/boodmo etc.
Any Mahindra dealer or distributor will carry it and they have a nationwide network! Surprising it can’t be found, and the Mahindra coolant is excellent.

Standard HP petrol pump coolant for example has JIS K 2234 too, but if you want open market ones Castrol Radicool is superb.
Old 28th September 2022, 13:02   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai Pink Coolant

The latest gen Hyundai's use a Pink colored coolant which is Ethelene Glycol based. I checked the bottle at HASS and it is written at the back of the bottle. I do not know if this makes it an Inorganic Acid(IAT) based Coolant or Hybrid (HOAT)?

The older blue color also says it contains Ethelene Glycol. But does not contain phosphates, nitrates, borates, amines. Does it make it OAT coolant?
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-cool...uine-53158451/

I came to know that the service center will stock only pink colored coolant and not the blue one. Not sure if this is the case with all HASS. So owners of Hyundai cars running on Green/ Blue coolant should insist that they do flush the system with distilled water before pouring the new pink colored coolant to be on safer side.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 28th September 2022 at 13:12.
Old 30th September 2022, 11:26   #66
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Need recommendations for two cars

Creta Diesel
Mechanic filled wurth green but I'am not sure if they mixed the correct proportion of water and if they used distilled water or not

Can I switch to Toyota's super long life coolant which seems to be great quality and pre mixed so no hassles with mixing, if yes how should I get it flushed? And do I need to empty the heating side as well or just the main reservoir (pardon my ignorance but I have no idea but have serious doubts on the mechanic that he didn't do a proper job)

City Diesel
Will not be keeping this for long so for the time being what should I use
Distilled water plus one litre bosch green concentrate will do? Or any other recommendations?
Old 9th March 2023, 13:43   #67

I was refilling my windshield wiper fluid last week and saw that the coolant levels were below "low" mark. This is a 3 year old Swift petrol that was serviced 5 months back. So today I went to service center and they filled in coolant (Ecstar from a new opened bottle) to the full level. When I asked him if he doesn't need to add water, he mentioned that it is not required.
Is that right? Should we not add water to coolant if poured directly from the Ecstar bottle?
Also, has anyone faced this coolant going below "low" mark issue?
Old 9th March 2023, 20:26   #68
Senior - BHPian

Make sure your car is parked overnight before you check coolant levels in the reservoir tank. Else a lot of coolant will be circulating around the engine.

Low coolant needs other troubleshooting as to why it got that low, not just refilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineqq View Post
I was refilling my windshield wiper fluid last week and saw that the coolant levels were below "low" mark.
Old 1st December 2023, 20:27   #69
Senior - BHPian

Would it be a good idea to use the Toyota super long life coolant in superbikes?
Old 1st December 2023, 20:34   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Would it be a good idea to use the Toyota super long life coolant in superbikes?
Depends on what grade of coolant your bike specs? They aren't just differentiated on colour, you know .. a lot need amine free, nitrite free etc.

Figure out what spec your bike needs and stick to it. Or take some superbike optimised coolant like Motul Inugel if you are satisfied that it meets the spec for your bike.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2023, 05:11   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Depends on what grade of coolant your bike specs? They aren't just differentiated on colour, you know .. a lot need amine free, nitrite free etc.

Figure out what spec your bike needs and stick to it. Or take some superbike optimised coolant like Motul Inugel if you are satisfied that it meets the spec for your bike.
I used the Mak redi kool ready to use coolant this time after flushing with distilled water. Its easily available so no need to mix 2 brands in case of emergencies.

The manual is not very specific on the type to use. It just says to use an Ethylene Glycol with corrosion inhibitors for aluminium engines.
Old 2nd December 2023, 07:15   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
I used the Mak redi kool ready to use coolant this time after flushing with distilled water. Its easily available so no need to mix 2 brands in case of emergencies.

The manual is not very specific on the type to use. It just says to use an Ethylene Glycol with corrosion inhibitors for aluminium engines.
Amine, Nitrate, Silicate free - any coolant will do. Just make sure it says suitable for use with aluminium engines, or japanese engines (which are mostly aluminium). This Mak redikool seems quite decent and fit for use so go ahead. It has what you need for aluminium engines.

https://www.bharatpetroleum.in/image...edi%20kool.pdf
Old 3rd December 2023, 13:27   #73
BHPian

Need some help regarding Coolant for 2022 4x4 Thar Diesel.

My car came in with Pink Coolant.

Types of Coolants and debunking myths associated with grades & colours-coolant-factory.jpg

Now the issue is, it requires top up. The sticker under the hood mentions Mahindra Maximile Ultracool.

Types of Coolants and debunking myths associated with grades & colours-recommended-fluids.jpg

I got the same from MASS *but* it is blue/purple in colour.

Types of Coolants and debunking myths associated with grades & colours-new-coolant.jpg

Types of Coolants and debunking myths associated with grades & colours-maximile-1.jpg

Types of Coolants and debunking myths associated with grades & colours-maximile-2.jpg

MASS recommended me to top it up with newer one as it makes no difference. One of the reasoning was as you're topping just 1.5-2L in the total, it won't make much difference.

Need recommendations here, what should I do? Should I flush the old one and refill it with newer one or just top it up with newer one without flushing?
Old 3rd December 2023, 17:19   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
MASS recommended me to top it up with newer one as it makes no difference. One of the reasoning was as you're topping just 1.5-2L in the total, it won't make much difference.

Need recommendations here, what should I do? Should I flush the old one and refill it with newer one or just top it up with newer one without flushing?
Why do you need to top up coolant at all? Park the car overnight and check the coolant level and if its between min and max then you're fine. If your jeep actually lost coolant within a year there's something that needs more than coolant topup to diagnose.
Old 3rd December 2023, 18:31   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Why do you need to top up coolant at all? Park the car overnight and check the coolant level and if its between min and max then you're fine. If your jeep actually lost coolant within a year there's something that needs more than coolant topup to diagnose.
This level is after an overnight break. The issue is there was a recall for replacement of radiator fan shroud. They had to remove the hoses which come from reservoir. During that time it had lost a fair amount of coolant.

Mechanic had simply topped it up with plain water. No coolant pre mix was added then. It has been 3 months since the replacement.

Either that water has evaporated or one of the hose is leaking very minutely somewhere.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks