Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2021, 14:37   #16
BHPian

Re: When do brake discs require replacement?

Just for reference, I have a Swift Dzire ZDI AMT having clocked 50k kms. I changed my Brake Pads around 40k kms because it was causing grinding noise on braking. But the Brake discs are still fine even after driving the car mostly in City.

I would suggest to change the brake pads and then drive the car and maybe get the discs skimmed. Maybe if u still feel the need to change the discs, u can get it changed.
Old 7th March 2021, 17:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Today morning I dropped my swift zdi Amt to a new service center that has come near Manyata tech park - Varun motors, for 30000 service. While dropping he quoted 4200 for standard service cost, while so far in mandovi even for 20000 I paid 2070. On asking he agreed to give 10 percent discount but said that is the revised cost supposedly from Maruti. Now I got a call where he is asking to replace both brake discs and brake pads. My car has run 20000 kms and I have never heard of replacement of discs at 20k. I have attached the photos he sent me... I have a feeling that he is trying to make some quick money. Kindly suggest if it is actually required.

Attachment 2126789
If the brake rotors are marked as such in the photos the discs can be skimmed on a brake lathe to clean the surface provided the skimmed thickness of the rotor is above the minimum thickness value.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 17:34   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Kindly suggest if it is actually required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A common upsell by dealerships, this is. Best to get the discs skimmed so they have a good surface again. Skimming costs a fraction of the replacement and takes time; that's why dealerships never give this option proactively. Only if you bring it up and push them a bit, then they might do it. If not, get the skimming done from a competent FNG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPhobos View Post
But this brings me back to the question, when should one replace their brake disks? Is there a certain amount of kilometres after which one should get their brake disks replaced or is it dependant on the physical condition of the brake disks themselves?
Two things which can confirm condition of discs:

1. Deflection measurement: Measurement of waviness on disc surface. This causes pulsation issues when braking.

2. Thickness measurement: Measuring instruments like Vernier Caliper or Screw Gauge is used. Replacement is needed if measured thickness is near or below service limit. Even if one has to skim the discs, one should keep this service limit in mind. Service limit is all the more important in cars with Ventilated discs.

You may find these values in service manuals/workshop manuals of cars. For example:

When do brake discs require replacement?-11.jpg

When do brake discs require replacement?-22.jpg

My take: 20k kms is too low for disc replacement. Still some cases may happen where discs can go bad due to bad pads etc. Since such cases aren't applicable in your case, involve Maruti if SA is adamant and shows you the issue. Just having concentric lines doesn't mean your disc is bad. There will be some even on showroom/freshly delivered cars, you may go and check.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 18:36   #19
Senior - BHPian

I agree dealers never mention skimming. In smaller towns specialized machines are often not available. So you have to rely on the friendly 'kharadi'. If you can persuade him not to try and use one of the positioners you are Ok. Remember do not expect any help from the company garages. My cars have done well over 60k and are still fine as far as skimming is concerned. The front discs wear our faster - say 30-50k. I had to replace the pads on my Santro in about 25k km once.
Old 7th March 2021, 19:59   #20
BHPian

Change discs approximately once for every 2 pad changes.
Old 7th March 2021, 21:41   #21
BHPian

20k doesn't sound too bad for the Swift Zdi AMT, I had a Swift VDI AMT and had to replace the brake pads at 22k kms, they had worn out by then. My discs were perfectly fine though.
Old 7th March 2021, 22:44   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

I never had to replace the rotor in earlier vehicles before they crossed over 1L+ on the odo, but the newer ones with slotted disc were near their minimum spec thickness within 85K kms and 2 set of pads.

A new pad and new / refinished disc have an amazing pedal feel as well as stopping power, that is the correct way to do it in my opinion.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 23:09   #23
BHPian

When you run your fingers on the surface of the rotors, if you feel ridges on the surface then the rotors have to be skimmed. But keep in mind, do not skim the rotors more than once. But observe the surface of the rotors. If you spot warpage then avoid skimming. Just replace it.

More than one skimming and you’re asking for trouble in the long run.

The only way to prolong the rotor’s life is to pressure wash the under chassis and brakes. Remove the brake dust as frequently as possible.

My dad’s 2015 Duster has clocked 57000 km as of today and the brake pads still have about 40-50% life. Most of the driving is within the city and a few highway runs.

I made a mistake with the 320d, I happily replaced the stock pads with Brembo and regretting it. Brake squeal is very high and too brake dust is very annoying.

Last edited by vishwasvr : 7th March 2021 at 23:14.
vishwasvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 00:06   #24

Quote:
Today morning I dropped my swift zdi Amt to a new service center that has come near Manyata tech park - Varun motors, for 30000 service. While dropping he quoted 4200 for standard service cost, while so far in mandovi even for 20000 I paid 2070. On asking he agreed to give 10 percent discount but said that is the revised cost supposedly from Maruti. Now I got a call where he is asking to replace both brake discs and brake pads. My car has run 20000 kms and I have never heard of replacement of discs at 20k. I have attached the photos he sent me... I have a feeling that he is trying to make some quick money. Kindly suggest if it is actually required.

Attachment 2126789
Lot of uneven lines are visible in your brake rotors. This usually appears in cars driven with hard and intermittent braking and is a cause of your driving style. The brake pads wear also indicates that you are a hard breaker. Do modify your driving style to accommodate softer braking.

The rotors can be skimmed to a maximum 2 times before replacement. And that too required to be done only if you experience vibration or shuddering during braking, unless don’t do anything extra, just change the brake pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravind_M92 View Post
I too got scammed into replacing my brake discs at about 40k km mark. The SA's approach and the sheer issue that I have to drive ~ 300 km round trip just to get to the Authorized Honda service center. Good thing I did was to bring the discs back with me. Of the four pads replaced only one pad was completely worn out, the rest had life for another 5k km. I'm not sure on how this is possible, The worn out pad was the right wheel inner pad. Maybe this pad received the maximum pressure while braking due to close proximity to the brake pedal! Hopefully someone can clear this to me!

The SA said, The car needs brake pad replacements and the discs are in pretty beaten up state. Even after replacing the pads, the cars braking wouldn't be as efficient since the disc surface is uneven and the car will shudder under sharp braking which might make the process unstable and unsafe. The SA outright refused skimming at authorized service center.
Now I have a spare Disc which needs to be skimmed, and can be kept as a spare. For now they're being repurposed as weights for lifting . What was to be a simple oil change service supposedly to cost about 6k increased to 15k for me!

The pads which are closer to the brake/abs control unit get wear earlier as those are the ones getting the greatest pressure from the master cylinder and hence this is a common phenomenon, not anything to be worried about.

The service centre is focused on ensuring that you don't have a brake failure within the next service and hence if your brake pads will last 5k kms and your cars next service is in 10k kms, they will surely recommend brake pads replacement as brakes is a vital safety feature.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th March 2021 at 00:30. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use a space after the punctuation mark, not before. Thank you.
Malluspec is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 10:00   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravind_M92 View Post
Of the four pads replaced only one pad was completely worn out, the rest had life for another 5k km. I'm not sure on how this is possible, The worn out pad was the right wheel inner pad. Maybe this pad received the maximum pressure while braking due to close proximity to the brake pedal! Hopefully someone can clear this to me!
You have a sticky caliper, please get it serviced. If your calipers pins are lubed properly the wear should be more or less even on both front wheels.

It has nothing to do with the proximity to either the brake pedal or ABS.

Quote:
What was to be a simple oil change service supposedly to cost about 6k increased to 15k for me!
The rotors are replaced when:

a) Deep scores and uneven wear on both surfaces (sides) of the rotor. Such rotors are not skimmed.
b) Wear down to lower than what is recommended by the manufacturer
c) Physical damage like cracks on the surface

If one or more of the above is true the disc will have to be replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malluspec View Post
The pads which are closer to the brake/abs control unit get wear earlier as those are the ones getting the greatest pressure from the master cylinder and hence this is a common phenomenon, not anything to be worried about.
That's not true.

Uneven brake pad/shoe wear is caused by sticking calipers or shoes as the case may be. Rear brake shoe or pad wear can also be caused by a stuck parking brake lever

Remember brake force is distributed, depending on a preset front to rear brake force distribution ratio or bias, to all wheels by a brake pressure distribution valve.

I'd like to reiterate - brakes are a critical safety system as are tyres. Please don't compromise in this area. You may regret it later.

Last edited by R2D2 : 8th March 2021 at 10:05.
Old 8th March 2021, 13:45   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Today morning I dropped my swift zdi Amt to a new service center that has come near Manyata tech park - Varun motors, for 30000 service. While dropping he quoted 4200 for standard service cost, while so far in mandovi even for 20000 I paid 2070.
Not sure if this is part of the same Varun motors chain in the Chord Road/Yeshwanthpur/Peenya area, but in my brief interactions with them, they have a habit of aggressively following up for insurance, service, upsells etc. Be a bit wary of them, they are extremely focussed on enabling customers to part with not just their wallets, but their eventual retirement plans too. Push back on anything that doesn't seem like it's part of the regular prescribed Maruti service and seek second opinions elsewhere if you want to avoid getting burnt.
Old 8th March 2021, 16:36   #27
BHPian

I don't think you replace the discs for a very long time. Even the pads being have to be changed at 20 k looks a bit suspicious. Take the car back and get a second opinion.
Old 8th March 2021, 17:14   #28

Such damage to rotors of a 30000 KM run car could be due to your previous FNG/service centre using some aftermarket cheap disc pads. My swift has done 95000 kms that too in upper Himalayas and all it needs is disc pad replacement after every 15000 kms.
Old 8th March 2021, 17:16   #29
BANNED

Quite surprising, Brake rotors and drums lasts more than 1lakh kms. Ford service centre advised me to replace it on 1 lakh kms. Even they refused my personal request on this, since it is in correct shape it doesn't need replacement at 50000kms. I felt brake was underpowered, FASC rectified by cleaning the parts.

Last edited by aah78 : 8th March 2021 at 18:04. Reason: Typos fixed.
Old 8th March 2021, 18:16   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamhaj16 View Post
Quite surprising, Brake rotors and drums lasts more than 1lakh kms. Ford service centre advised me to replace it on 1 lakh kms. Even they refused my personal request on this, since it is in correct shape it doesn't need replacement at 50000kms. .
Brake rotor and drums need to be replaced (or machined/skimmed) based on wear. There is no other criteria, other than damaged, why you would have to replace them. Certainly mileage is not relevant at all.

Jeroen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks