Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2021, 01:41   #46
BHPian

Re: 2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions

Got my Diesel MT Thar on 25 Feb. Done 1000 km till now. Only major issue which I am facing is Android auto connectivity. Android auto back button on touch screen is not working properly. Have to press many times to go back. Also I was facing intermittent connectivity issues with Android auto. Apart from that no major issues observed. Regarding wrong AFE issue on MID, I have faced similar issue on Baleno. It shows 2-3 km more than actual. Checked my AFE by tank to tank method. Got 13.27 in first refill
partishs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 13:53   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Did the pipe dream get into reality? Did they change everything on time? What's the update?

Request you to please update us on the status as a prompt service by Mahindra will go a long way in building the confidence for all others.
Sireesh ASC delivered the vehicle on Wednesday last and I was able to test drive it around the weekend. They seem to have sorted out the issue by replacing all the parts involved with DEF. I am only hoping and praying it will not pop-up again.
Satskum is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 11:56   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Did the pipe dream get into reality? Did they change everything on time? What's the update?
Got my vehicle after 14 days

Drove for around 50 kms yesterday - looks like all is good

2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions-whatsapp-image-20210309-11.39.54-am.jpeg
slicvic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 12:58   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satskum View Post
Sireesh ASC delivered the vehicle on Wednesday
Good to know, how much time it took in total? and which workshop you got this done at?
Old 9th March 2021, 13:53   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Got my vehicle after 14 days

Drove for around 50 kms yesterday - looks like all is good

Attachment 2130421
Great to hear that you have your stead with you now. Wishing you many happy miles. Keep us updated on your experiences and any issues.

I wrote in another post also, once you have lived through these bad experiences and sorted out initial niggles, it's a dream come true to enjoy the beast. Hope you too have a great experience with it.
justwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 15:45   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Good to know, how much time it took in total? and which workshop you got this done at?
Sireesh Auto, Magadi Road Service Centre, they took 9 days this time, 2 days previously in December for the same issue. Coming weekend I have a long trip coming up and hopeful that I will not face anymore issues with this
Satskum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 08:07   #52
BHPian

I took delivery of my Thar Diesel AT Hard top on 16th Feb @ VVC Motors, Kondapur Hyderabad.

I'm going to list some issues that I faced with the vehicle since then:

QC Issue 1: Extra screws? [Resolved / Ignored]
After washing and prepping the vehicle for Puja during delivery I found a screw + metal washer in the driver foot-well. Don't know whether this came off of some dashboard fittings. The technician brushed it off as a remnant of extra parts from PDI. I did not pay much attention and let it go. (Don't know if this will come back to bit me)

QC Issue 2: Rattling noise from Right Dashboard [Investigation Ongoing/Reopened]
The is a sharp rattling noise from the driver area of the dashboard when driving over uneven surfaces. It sounds like some plastic part is tapping against each other. Oddly enough I don't get the rattling when I start the vehicle after being parked overnight. It needs a few kms before it starts chattering. Once it does, I lose all the satisfaction of having bought a new car.

QC Issue 3: Clicking/Snapping sound from Passenger seat
[Investigation Ongoing/Reopened]
Whenever I have a passenger and ride over roads that vary in elevation within a short distance (those short ups and downs in the city) at speed above 30kmph, the left seat makes snapping metal noises. It feels like it hasn't been tightened properly / fixed firmly to the chassis. VVC Motors Service center has had a look and been unable to fix it.

QC Issue 4: Service due reminder when ODO reading was 350km [Resolved]
How does the onboard computer think a new vehicle is due for service at ~300km. Looks like the developers missed some test cases in their code.

QC Issue 5: Wildly inaccurate Fuel Indicator & DTE estimates
[Investigation Ongoing/Reopened]
For all practical purposes I'm going to ignore the DTE values in the ensuing photos. I'll only focus on the Fuel level, Fuel Warning indicator, Odometer reading. The fuel level has its own mind for every km I drive. It goes either direction on a whim. My estimate is that there is at least 10-15 litres of Diesel left in the tank when the indicator goes mad. Issue doesn't exist during the top half of the fuel indicator.

The service center returned the vehicle saying they checked all wiring, updated firmware, re-flashed the software and everything looks good. Clearly not.

I guess I'll have to go with my gut feeling when deciding to refuel.

2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions-fuel-indicator-photos.png

QC Issue 6: Metal gnashing sounds when changing Gears / Getting in out of vehicle / Rocking the vehicle [Resolved]

Whenever I changed the gear between Parking / Neutral / Reverse / Drive, the vehicle would jerk very visibly and make loud metal gnashing sounds. During delivery I brushed it off as a characteristic of unrefined Indian Motorcompany. Over the next few days, I realized that this was not normal. I didn't have these issues on my Creta or Ecosport.

Took it to the service center for investigation. They returned it saying it was normal noise. Engineer speaks - "Sir this is normal, the brakes are holding onto the torque generated by the engine while changing gears." I wasn't satisfied. I further noticed that this noise was generated even when the engine was off and I climbed in and out of the vehicle. It was also reproducible when I rocked the vehicle side to side with my arms.

I escalated the issue and demonstrated its non-existence on another parked Thar AT. Service manager relented and then took it in for further investigation.

Final resolution: The rear brake drums were rubbing, which led to the noise while getting in-out of the vehicle, rocking it, changing gear. This was fixed.

Issue 7: Android auto issues [Ignoring for now]
7.1. Occasionally after receiving a call, the music doesn't resume from Android auto. It'll show as playing, but the Thar FM/AM takes over the audio output. Fix: Restart the engine.

7.2. Screen doesn't stay pinned. It'll randomly go back to the Thar infotainment homescreen. This doesn't stop the music playback, navigation from Android Auto. They continue to run in the background. I have to select Android auto again to see the navigation / music.

Side note: I miss the Audio Prev/Next controls on the steering. Have to stretch out every time I want to skip a track. Usability nightmare.
strawmUnkey is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 08:32   #53

Phew!!! DFE issue seems to sorted as of now. Just got back after a grueling 450+ kms on game and forest roads fighting forest fires with Karnataka Forest Department. Extensive use of 4L/4H most of the time and the New Thar turned out to awesome and as good the old Thar in handling non-existent track and make your own road mode. While I bought a Napoli Black, it is right now Mud Red Special Editon. Both sides have enough scratches and markings to tell a lifetime of stories, no TLC will get rid of those. Permanent
Attached Thumbnails
2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions-20210313_135402.jpg  

Satskum is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 13:22   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Phew!!! DFE issue seems to sorted as of now. Just got back after a grueling 450+ kms on game and forest roads fighting forest fires with Karnataka Forest Department. Extensive use of 4L/4H most of the time and the New Thar turned out to awesome and as good the old Thar in handling non-existent track and make your own road mode. While I bought a Napoli Black, it is right now Mud Red Special Editon. Both sides have enough scratches and markings to tell a lifetime of stories, no TLC will get rid of those. Permanent
The first thing I noticed is the colour of the dusty Car, and it looks smashingly good. Your pic can give color recommendation to Mahindra to match the real territory of the Thar.

Great to hear the DEF issue is resolved and the Thar performed well. Great to see that you could do an actual test of taking it through tough terrain and everything performed well.

One caution though, once you plan to get your Napoli Black shine back, take care with pressure washing.

Last edited by vb-saan : 15th March 2021 at 06:43. Reason: Typo
justwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 14:19   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Phew!!! DFE issue seems to sorted as of now. Just got back after a grueling 450+ kms on game and forest roads fighting forest fires with Karnataka Forest Department.
While I bought a Napoli Black, it is right now Mud Red Special Editon. Both sides have enough scratches and markings to tell a lifetime of stories, no TLC will get rid of those. Permanent
Lovely picture. Glad to know the DEF is sorted.

Napoli black transforming to Mud Red - Amazing.

Question - What’s the bulge to the left of the rear windows? Is there a long item inside the car or is it because of frequent removal and fit of the convertible? Or anything else?
Attached Thumbnails
2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions-7ecadd5741d4452da5344626aafcffc1.jpeg  

jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 16:01   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Lovely picture. Glad to know the DEF is sorted.

Napoli black transforming to Mud Red - Amazing.

Question - What’s the bulge to the left of the rear windows? Is there a long item inside the car or is it because of frequent removal and fit of the convertible? Or anything else?
Blowers used for fire fighting have a pipe as long as the header + complete exhaust system, they jut out and this wrinkle you see is the one left behind after the blower was taken out.i had not yet put the rear cover back in place with the zippers. All in all I was surprised how much can be acommodated in a AX - it's a true 6 seater
Satskum is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 01:22   #57
BHPian

Hello Mods and fellow BHPians,
I would start complementing Thar as its a brilliant machine and now a very practical on and off-road friendly vehicle.

Have completed of 5800 Kms till now and my Thar has been 5 times in workshop since it got delivered in mid-December. Enlisting the visits as follows:
1) Steering alignment and calibration issue. Thar was dragging left and was sorted out in first visit.
2) First service.
3) Camshaft and other recalls/ replacements. All ok till now.
4) Squeaking issue when shifting from N to D and N to R. Rattling issue from boot. Issue reappeared after 24 hours of visit.
5) Same as 4th. Again resolved to reappear after 24 hours.
6) Tomorrow its going again for the same issue.

So basically both the issues are not being sorted out. Luckily have made videos about them and sharing them as below.

Squeaking issue when shifting from N to D and N to R.
Basically never happens on first start in morning. Happens when i stop after running few kms. Also no squeaks if i press the brake pedal real hard (i mean real hard), as if i do not press it that way the squeak comes. Squeaks do not come at every stop. Also while running the automatic gear shifting is buttery smooth. Below is the video.

Rattling issue from boot.
The rattle comes on the uneven broken roads and disappears on smooth roads. It sounds like a container with loose screw when shaken. And its not the tyre mount or tyre. Below is the video.

Please do not think that i am a noob complaining about rattles in jeep and turning up the volume/ earplugs etc. I very well know rattling associated with jeep.
A helpful input/ guidance would be heartily appreciated.
Regards.

Last edited by SportsMedicine : 15th March 2021 at 01:25. Reason: Detailing.
SportsMedicine is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 19:53   #58
BHPian

Didnt think i would be posting anymore on this thread, but a new issue now

The mic does not work in my car. When connected to the HU by bluetooth other people cannot hear me

Tried with different phones too

The folks at the showroom reset the HU, but it still persists

Need to go to the workshop soon

Any one else facing a similar issue ?
Old 19th March 2021, 13:13   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Didnt think i would be posting anymore on this thread, but a new issue now

The mic does not work in my car. When connected to the HU by bluetooth other people cannot hear me

Tried with different phones too

The folks at the showroom reset the HU, but it still persists

Need to go to the workshop soon

Any one else facing a similar issue ?
Check if the small hole to the Mic is clogged with dust. Clean and check if it solves the issue else you can try what I have done. Read below,

While I do not have the OE HU on my Thar, I have an after market 9" Android unit installed and faced similar issue with sound quality, one literally has to shout to be heard. I plugged in the additional mic which came with the unit and placed it on sun visor. Now the sound is clear and I don't need to shout to be heard. Check if there is an option to add an additional Mic to the OE HU, lots of optional mics are available on Amma Zone for cheap and will solve the issue.
Old 25th March 2021, 09:58   #60
BHPian

A little Birdie tells me that there is an issue in some components of the gear box of a particular batch are faulty

The third gear is being replaced in some vehicles, and in some the gear shift cable is being replaced - perhaps only to buy time

As usual some cars are waiting in the workshops waiting for warranty replacement parts to arrive
slicvic is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks