Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2022, 13:13   #151
BHPian

Re: 2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
For the last couple of months, I don't remember any Android disconnection issue. It could be after I started using Pixel 4a, but not very sure.

I faced one issue when I visited Vellore last week. In a specific section, for about 100 meters the Android Auto kept disconnecting and reconnecting. I thought I got the Android disconnection issue again. But after that the short period of time, it started working. What is strange is that when I went through the same section again in the next day, the same issue is repeated for that short distance.
This is quite something!

1. You didn't notice any changes around servicing / a software update?
2. What's with the 100m road Is it bumpy/ etc.?

I've tried 5 fresh cables. Even 65W charing cables and cables with brand new phones. An S20+, S21 Ultra, S22 Ultra. All to no avail. They've even changed my HU. Nothing has helped.

All I need are VINs to get the matter aplified!
wooka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 14:34   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
This is quite something!

1. You didn't notice any changes around servicing / a software update?
2. What's with the 100m road Is it bumpy/ etc.?
1. My last service was done during December 2011, but Android connection issue was there even after that (I used to switch off the car for sometime and start after sometime to make it work again). But not faced this issue for last couple of months. I changed to pixel 4a in March this year, will keep posted if I face the disconnection issue again.

2. It is just a regular road with some merging and with regular traffic. When the issue occurred first time, I stopped the vehicle for sometime and started again, but the issue was persistent (tried this two times). When the same issue happened exactly at the same place again in the next day, I just kept driving and issue is automatically resolved after some distance. Not sure it is just a weird issue or some map data which cause this.
r_devakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 01:06   #153
BHPian

Finally, this thread caught my attention.

Let me list down the niggles/issues with my October 2021 Petrol AT HT.

1. There is a creaking noise from roof above the driver side. Looks like the FRP material is rubbing against each other. Whenever the whole vehicle sways on bad roads, the noise is very evident. More evident and loud while driving under the hot sun and when roof is hot. During night drives, when the temp is cool, the noise is very subdued. ASC checked the roof, reset all the nuts and bolts, but still persists. Another appointment scheduled to fix this. Overall the cabin is silent and seems well put together.

2. Once in a while you hear the "chime" while driving and the entire display quickly restarts within a blink of the eye. You hardly notice it but the "chime" is very evident and confuses you with the low fuel alert. Occurs once or twice in a month like a scheduled alert

3. Grinding noise from the brakes which scares the hell out of you as if there is a stone stuck in between the pads. Happens when you suddenly encounter a deep depression (dip) on the road while driving at a consistent speed and with late braking, you just dive into the dip. Seems to be fixed during second service, haven't occurred since then.

4. Front Suspension noise similar to two metal rods hitting against each other while landing in some deep pot holes. Fixed during the second service. No more sound.

5. Alignment was all over the place when i took delivery of the vehicle. Steering was misaligned. slightly tilted towards the left and vehicle slowly moved towards the left on highways. With in the first month after around 800 Kms, noticed the outer of the both tyres were more darker compared to the inner portion after some long drives and the uneven wear was slowly becoming visible. Got it rectified from a shop nearby, major correction was required. Same with my friends Thar as well. It's all good now.

6. Bluetooth connectivity - "THAR" will decide when you should use your bluetooth. Sometimes restart will fix this, and sometimes not. Android auto disconnection is frequent, seems to be an issue with the USB port. You might need to push the cable in a little harder for it to function properly. Tried with different cables, but all needed this hard push when plugged in.

7. Fuel level alert - Travelled around 50 kms while it showed low fuel with just one bar and 23 kms till empty. The reading is inaccurate. Now i have a clear understanding on when a top up is required.

Yes there are few minor issues/niggles, nothing major to hate this vehicle. You will enjoy every moment with the THAR.
Old 29th August 2022, 01:38   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep_vgl View Post
Finally, this thread caught my attention.

Let me list down the niggles/issues with my October 2021 Petrol AT HT.

1. There is a creaking noise from roof above the driver side. Looks like the FRP material is rubbing against each other. Whenever the whole vehicle sways on bad roads, the noise is very evident. More evident and loud while driving under the hot sun and when roof is hot. During night drives, when the temp is cool, the noise is very subdued. ASC checked the roof, reset all the nuts and bolts, but still persists. Another appointment scheduled to fix this. Overall the cabin is silent and seems well put together.
Even I have the same noise but yeah may sound the same as yours. For me the sound comes from top middle portion where the speakers are housing and towards the left side. Its more predominant when driven on bad roads. Normal roads there is no noise.

Service center guys in Bangalore asked to drop the vehicle for 48 hours to 72 hours. Now since this is the only vehicle we have, will try to live with it. Once I am back in Himachal, the Service center guys said that they will try to check it in a day. Being a Petrol vehicle, since it is silent on the inside, without AC and Music running that sound does annoy a little bit. My Wife is absolutely okay with it.
Old 30th August 2022, 12:33   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
Even I have the same noise but yeah may sound the same as yours......

My Wife is absolutely okay with it.
Ditto! Both to the noise and wife.
Mine creaks/ goes 'khat khat' which varies day to day and during different temperatures the sound may vanish on an average road and even return on a good road! Mostly, an average Indian road does the trick. Removing and researing the internal rubber along the roof (A to B pillar) alters the sound a bit. I have extensively soundproofed the area including the overhead plastic channels with foam... To no avail.

Let's get the android disconnection issue highlighted. We can't live with this forever!

PM me your VINs so I can make a recall of it.
Old 8th September 2022, 18:26   #156

Face a similar issue on my Thar and the Khat-Khat sound does tend to be distracting indeed. Have you managed to find any solution to the issue ?
Old 9th September 2022, 01:10   #157
BHPian

The body shop guy said he needs to adjust something in the pillar mount overhead that least to the interior lights. That it's a common issue. I, mind you, have fully foam padded up every wire along the head rail (pillar A to B) and the wire tap along this overhead bar with foam.

Now I'm 6'1". I'm keen on scrapping the whole thing including the speaker boxes and rear mounting them.

Let's see, I'll be doing tons to this box of a car this winter.

PS. If you have android disconnection issues that have not been solved with multiple phone / cables changes, PM me your VIN number so that I can escalate! I've received fewer than I had hoped. I can't help the community without its help!

Last edited by wooka : 9th September 2022 at 01:13.
Old 13th September 2022, 19:29   #158

Having done about 9k kms on the new Thar , took it to the Mahindra Service Centre to get the roof sound attended to. The hard top roof has been packed with a foam material near the joints by the Service Centre and have since driven it around a bit - the irritating sound seems to have gone for now. Will be driving Pune - Madikeri - Pune this weekend. Will really be able to tell how good the fix has been post this drive.
Additionally, the tail gate sound on the new Thar can also be attended to by the Mahindra Service Centre guys by readjusting the tail gate settings. Apparently, on account of the spare wheel weight, the tail gate settings do get disturbed with the vehicle being put through the paces during off-road or rough road drives.
MacSr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 22:11   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSr View Post
Having done about 9k kms on the new Thar
If you're using Android, are you facing Android Auto disconnections frequently?
Old 15th September 2022, 12:28   #160
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

My Thar was bought in Feb 2021. It is a Feb 2021 manufacture. It’s been a breeze over the last 15800 kms of running. As covered in some other threads I’ve done a few form and function upgrades to the vehicle. And I am extremely happy with it overall as my Go Anywhere Grand Tourer.

Yesterday when I was driving in the neighbourhood to the shops, while parking at my destination I noticed the AT gear lever of the Thar was loose and was swiveling around and moving up and down vertically too with no restraint. To engage D, N, R and P one needed to get the slotting angle just right, press it down and shift. This was diagnosed by me and some friends to be a broken linkage rod which connects the external gear lever and gear shift lock to the actual gear selector rod inside and will necessitate a visit to the workshop. I promptly took a video and shared it with my service advisors. I don’t know how to attach the video here, but I have it with me in my phone.

In any case the vehicle would soon be due for its 20K service and since I typically tend to service it in advance rather than exactly on time, I took it to the service centre this morning and left it there, asking them to look after it. The technician saw the vehicle and prised open the centre console and yes indeed the vertical linkage rod and gear lock mechanism are broken. These are of moulded hard plastic and it looks like the whole unit needs replacement. So I ve asked them to do that.

I am not sure if this will be charged. Ideally it ought not to be because this is according to me a quality defect. And I am on that extended warranty package and all. I may add that I am the sole driver of this vehicle. I never give it even to the valets. The other person who has driven it is my Dad and that too, occasionally only. Apart from us, the Original delivery driver drove it to the showroom and the service centre fellows do drive it when it goes for service. And the ARKA person test drove it in my presence when the AVO suspension and underbody protection was fitted So far this vehicle has been carefully supervised by me at all times so there is really no opportunity for misuse.

I ve also asked them to do the following;
1. Drain and Change engine oil
2. Drain and Change Differential / Front and Rear Axle oils ( strictly speaking this is a bit of overkill but It gives me peace of mind)
3. Check the USB ports because occasionally they aren’t charging the phone - let me rule out the usb fault.
4. Purchased a new remote key fob from the spare parts warehouse and asked them to program it so that I have two remote key fobs.
5. Asked for an old Mahindra Scorpio bottle Jack because those were of great quality and I d like to keep one of those in my Thar.
6. Asked them to check and tighten the rear tail gate hinges if needed because with constant use on our bad road surfaces and the heavy spare tyre, in general, these tail gate hinges have a tendency to become loose.

I presently have a service estimate of Rs 3501 for the work I have asked them to do. I have asked them to take their time in this repair and servicing work as I am in absolutely no hurry at all. They will probably do everything and hand the vehicle back tomorrow sometime. I ll just pop over and pick it up when they tell me it is ready. And then depending on the findings, I will update this thread.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 15th September 2022 at 12:32.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 16:03   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
3. Check the USB ports because occasionally they aren’t charging the phone - let me rule out the usb fault.
4. Purchased a new remote key fob from the spare parts warehouse and asked them to program it so that I have two remote key fobs.
Do you see Android Auto/ Apple Carplay disconnects?

Also, the remote system in the Thar doesn't have any alarm/ security (except for immobilizer). So if you lock the Thar with the remote access open it with a key, or have someone inside do it while the key is not anywhere in the proximity, there is no alarm.

I've seen this is several Thars, and getting it checked officially when I go in for 40k service soon.
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 19:27   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Do you see Android Auto/ Apple Carplay disconnects?

Also, the remote system in the Thar doesn't have any alarm/ security (except for immobilizer).ce soon.

Yes. Occasionally Apple CarPlay does disconnect but this is more to do with the cable and the lightning connector I thought. Because there is no place in the Thar for a big fat iPhone Pro Max.

Ref the remote I havent checked this specific thing.
When I go there tomorrow I will.
Thanks for the info!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 19:39   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Yes. Occasionally Apple CarPlay does disconnect but this is more to do with the cable and the lightning connector I thought. Because there is no place in the Thar for a big fat iPhone Pro Max.
I have tried both Android and iPhones with the original cables, 15 cm braided cables like these - and I have this holder stuck on each sides (with 3M tapes - the ones that come with it are useless) of the foot well to keep big phones too (with a soft cloth layer so that the jeep's plastic doesn't scratch the screen/ body).

And AA/ CP disconnects approx 45 min (at times within 15 min, but has lasted 2 hours too) even on butter smooth tarmac

Fellow BHPian Wooka is connected with M&M on this, and my Service guys will raise a TAR once I'm back home for this issue...
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 20:51   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I 15 cm braided cables like [this holderstuck on each sides (with 3M tapes - the ones that come with it are useless) of the foot well to keep big phones too (with a

Fellow BHPian Wooka is connected with M&M on this, and my Service guys will raise a TAR once I'm back home for this issue...
I use the same braided cables from Wayona in all my cars. And indeed, I have the exact same nets stuck on the doors. In my case I was kind of ‘Wrangler-izing’ my Thar.
Anyway I ll wait to see my vehicle tomorrow and take it from there.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 22:48   #165
BHPian

I have completed a 10 day, ~2000KMs trip last week. Haven't faced any android auto disconnect issue. I am using Pixel 4a with a short red USB cable which comes with OnePlus Bullets Wireless Z.
r_devakumar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks