Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2021, 13:36   #16
BHPian

Re: Car stops responding to accelerator input

I went to a FASS today to get the car checked. The technician also suspected either a speed sensor issue or some problem with the accelerator pedal itself. An OBD scan however revealed no DTC codes. They performed some update as well. When the accelerator was not responding, I saw no lights on the dashboard so perhaps that's why no DTC was logged. The technicians were fairly confident that the issue would not repeat and advised against replacing any parts as currently we have no clue as to what the issue is.
Some members have suggested that cold temperatures could be the cause of the problem. I usually always wait for the glow plug lights to turn off prior to starting. In extremely cold weather they can stay on for an additional 10-15 seconds after the other warning lights turn off. It was about 6 deg outside when the issue was observed two days ago at 5:45 am but the temperature was not low enough for the glow plugs to kick in. Since I was only 2 mins into the drive, I suppose the engine was not properly warmed up but then I have used my car at even -10 deg and never faced any issues. The only problem at low temperatures is some rough engine sound that normalises afer 30-40 seconds.
I also checked the operation of the brake lights as captainbrijesh suggested but that's working fine as well.
Ford technicians have advised to wait and watch and see if the issue resurfaces.

Last edited by bullrun87 : 22nd January 2021 at 13:39.
Old 25th January 2021, 22:23   #17

Re: Car stops responding to accelerator input

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
Some members have suggested that cold temperatures could be the cause of the problem. I usually always wait for the glow plug lights to turn off prior to starting. In extremely cold weather they can stay on for an additional 10-15 seconds after the other warning lights turn off. It was about 6 deg outside when the issue was observed two days ago at 5:45 am but the temperature was not low enough for the glow plugs to kick in. Since I was only 2 mins into the drive, I suppose the engine was not properly warmed up but then I have used my car at even -10 deg and never faced any issues. The only problem at low temperatures is some rough engine sound that normalises afer 30-40 seconds.
I also checked the operation of the brake lights as captainbrijesh suggested but that's working fine as well.
Ford technicians have advised to wait and watch and see if the issue resurfaces.
I was referring to the temperature gauge which should take few mins to arrive at the optimal operating temperature of the engine. This may take a bit longer in cold climates compared to our average non winter days. I live in St. Louis, here the temperature drops and stays almost below 0 for approximately 3 months. The initial few kms will be very rough and RPM will shoot upto 3000 range for a speed which usually takes 1500-2000 range.
This will become normal and smooth once the engine is warmed enough.

There are few more chances you may keep an eye for
1. Quality of fuel and any additives they use for winter. I have read that they treat the diesel for winter use and charge a little extra than the market price compared other cities. Have a word with the fuel station guys to understand whether your fuel is already treated or missed. I am not 100% sure on this but worth checking
2. Ensure fuel tank is 100% full. Empty space results in more air in the tank and leading to more condensation. More water accumulation may lead to combustion abnormalities or ice formation and blocking fuel flow. You cannot determine this as the ice may vanish when we are inspecting.

Thanks
Sai

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks