Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2021, 10:57   #1
BHPian

Brake stuck after low usage of car

Hello Members!

Our 2013 Mahindra Scorpio VLX has been having a few issues relating to the rear driver's side drum brakes or the handbrake(?).

The Issue
The car wasn't being driven much during the lockdown other than being started and moved a few meters backward and forward. We did not face any issues during this time. When we took it out for a drive the rear driver's side drum brake totally locked up and the wheel would not move. If we reversed a meter, it would move forward a meter. The Service guy from Mahindra was called and he cleaned the inside of the drum and that was it. It worked fine for a few days and then the same problem again. We then took the car for its 90000km service where we specified the problem. They gave us the car back saying the problem was fixed till it showed up again after a few days. A few more calls and visits later the RSA guy determined that the handbrake cable had got stuck and it would need to be replaced but the part would need to be ordered and it would take a few days. The call had come and we tried to drive the car. It was okay for the first ten meters but refused to move after that. I remembered a tip the RSA guy told us and out came the hammer. A couple of hits on the drum took us around 20m. I kept giving the drum a few hits for almost 200m. After a lot of noise and screeching from the tires, something came loose and the car was fine till the service station. Around 2 hours later, the cable was replaced.

Everything was fine for around three months up to the present day. Alas, the problem has returned. The same wheel is starting to lock up again and I am planning to take the car to a different showroom. I am planning to show the problem as soon as possible before the car requires the hammer again.

I apologize for the lengthy prologue, but I thought it would be necessary.

I would request all members to please give their valuable opinions on what the problem could be before I leave for the showroom so that I do not get ripped off or they do not misdiagnose the problem. Could the drum need to replaced? Is this something related to the ABS system? Or is it the handbrake cable again?

PS: The car is driven at least two times every week and is parked in gear without using the handbrake.
scorpio2107 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 12:19   #2
BANNED

re: Brake stuck after low usage of car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio2107 View Post
Could the drum need to replaced? Is this something related to the ABS system? Or is it the handbrake cable again?
I suspect that the drum itself is worn out.

Can you share images of the drum and brake shoes?
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 12:27   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Moisture and not being used is probable cause. Clean out the brake drums, replace the brake liners , wheel cylinders - all both sides. Replace the brake fluid and replace the handbrake cable as well. Bleed the brakes and it all should be as good as new, give the front brakes as well a good checkup. These things don't cost much and considering the vehicle's age, good to do.
Kosfactor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 12:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

From what I gathered, if you don't apply brakes at all, car moves without issues. Once you apply brakes and release, and drive again, the wheels lock.

If the above is the scenario, then the brake pads are not retracting to original position after you release the brake.

The calipers needs to be overhauled. Nothing to do with drums.

ASC don't do 100% overhaul of calipers. They just clean the drum and say, everything is alright. Suggest to get it cleaned with some expert mechanics you know.

I had this problem in my santro. After 2-3 visits to ASC without much relief, one night in the middle of road within city, during rains, the brake pads broke due to the above issue. I got it repaired with a local mechanic shop near by my house.

Last edited by gkveda : 11th January 2021 at 12:41.
gkveda is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 12:53   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Moisture and not being used is probable cause. Clean out the brake drums, replace the brake liners , wheel cylinders - all both sides. Replace the brake fluid and replace the handbrake cable as well. Bleed the brakes and it all should be as good as new, give the front brakes as well a good checkup. These things don't cost much and considering the vehicle's age, good to do.
Thanks a lot, Kosfactor. Will relay the same to the SA when I give the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
From what I gathered, if you don't apply brakes at all, car moves without issues. Once you apply brakes and release, and drive again, the wheels lock.

If the above is the scenario, then the brake pads are not retracting to original position after you release the brake.

The calipers needs to be overhauled. Nothing to do with drums.

ASC don't do 100% overhaul of calipers. They just clean the drum and say, everything is alright. Suggest to get it cleaned with some expert mechanics you know.

I had this problem in my santro. After 2-3 visits to ASC without much relief, one night in the middle of road within city, during rains, the brake pads broke due to the above issue. I got it repaired with a local mechanic shop near by my house.
Thanks for the response gkveda.

The scenario is somewhat similar to what you mentioned. When moving the car first(only accelerator, no brake) it moves freely. If the brakes are barely tapped, not even pressed, the rear driver's side wheel(only this wheel) locks up. This continues for around 200m then all is fine.

I did suspect that the pads weren't returning but dismissed it when the RSA guy said it was the handbrake cable. Will try the service centre first and if there isn't a solution will overhaul the callpers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I suspect that the drum itself is worn out.

Can you share images of the drum and brake shoes?
Thank you, a4anurag for the reply

If you are asking for pictures of the open drums, I'm sorry but I have no technical knowledge to open the drums . I prefer to let the professionals mess around with important stuff such as the brakes.

Last edited by GTO : 12th January 2021 at 09:09. Reason: Merging back to back posts
scorpio2107 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 09:11   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Brake stuck after low usage of car

Mod Note: Here's a related thread (Rear wheel jammed after car stationary for a couple of days !) for others facing similar issues.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 22:49   #7
BHPian

You might want to check the brake cylinders first. Rusted pistons can cause this issue.
jeeva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 23:28   #8
BHPian

I had the same issue with my Alto 800 two months back. Service advisor suggested NOT to engage hand brake when parked for long duration.

My left rear wheel had jammed and just like you did, I had to hammer and try to spin the drums until small debris gave away and the wheel finally rotated.

So unless you are parking on a slope, never engage the hand brake. I have parking space with no elevation, so engaging first gear or reverse gear when parking, works for me.

Last edited by sreeJiva : 13th January 2021 at 23:32. Reason: Typo
sreeJiva is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 08:26   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
You might want to check the brake cylinders first. Rusted pistons can cause this issue.
Noted

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeJiva View Post
I had the same issue with my Alto 800 two months back. Service advisor suggested NOT to engage hand brake when parked for long duration.

My left rear wheel had jammed and just like you did, I had to hammer and try to spin the drums until small debris gave away and the wheel finally rotated.

So unless you are parking on a slope, never engage the hand brake. I have parking space with no elevation, so engaging first gear or reverse gear when parking, works for me.
This is something we have been doing since we bought the car. The only time the parking brake is engaged is at traffic lights.

We will be taking the car to the Service Station soon and hopefully with all of your inputs they might be able to find the problem.
Old 14th January 2021, 10:13   #10
BHPian

It's possible that one or more components of your drum brake assembly has worn out, which may or may not be because of the long hibernation.
From the image below, you can see that the pads are held in the retracted (released) position by springs. If the spring has lost its recoil strength, the pads won't retract fully. Might want to consider replacing with OE spare.
Brake stuck after low usage of car-46.png
Another component which could have failed is the wheel cylinder which converts the hydraulic force to mechanical action. Rebuild kits for the same are available.
The image above is from this site:https://oriparts.com/4/274/213/40942#item_1091751
Don't think the model year matches, but you can study the mechanism and know part names so that you have a better idea when you visit the service center.

Cheers
gthang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 10:46   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Your rear drum brake set up on each wheel has

1. A wheel cylinder with 2 pistons inside that act on hydraulic(brake fluid pressure)
2. Two brake shoes (cum liners)
3. A self adjusting mechanism to ensure that the gap between the shoe and the drum is within limits
4. Springs that bring the shoes back to idle position
5. A handbrake mechanism on the right rear drum to actuate the brake liners mechanically
6. Spring loaded locks with pins to hold the liners down

The easiest desi way to simulate operation of the set up is to remove the drum and press the brake lever just a wee bit to see if the cylinder ends actuate and the liner opens and once you take your foot off the lever, please see if the liners then return to their original position. Do not press the brake lever too much else the shoes and then the pistons will pop out !

I would say that a full service of the set up including cleaning out the wheel cylinders of polymeric substance with clean brake fluid of the same spec and blowing compressed air into the brake set up(plate, springs, adjuster etc.) will help. Please do this for both wheels.

PS : After a 10km drive, do you find the right rear wheel center hotter than the left rear? If yes, then the issue is only in the right rear wheel.

Use only a wooden mallet on the drum.

Last edited by vigsom : 17th January 2021 at 11:00.
vigsom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 12:12   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Members!

Our 2013 Mahindra Scorpio VLX has been having a few issues relating to the rear driver's side drum brakes or the handbrake(?).
[/b]
PS: The car is driven at least two times every week and is parked in gear without using the handbrake.
There is no one magic potion anybody can provide or one straight explanation to the issue you are facing. It could be either the drum mechanism (including fluid, cylinder, shoe, drum et.al) or might be the handbrake paraphernalia. How about not using the handbrake at all for a month while doing any sort of parking maneuvers to see if this recurs, once after ensuring the wheels are freed? This will help us eliminate this aspect from the problem solving.
gopa99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 10:01   #13
BHPian

Thank you to everyone who replied and provided their insights into the problem. The last few days that the car was driven there wasn't any problem other than a light screech whenever the brakes are applied throughout the 150km road trip we did. We will be visiting the service station soon for a few other problems as well as this problem.

I will make sure to update the thread so we can get to the root cause of the problem.
Old 18th January 2021, 11:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you to everyone who replied and provided their insights into the problem. The last few days that the car was driven there wasn't any problem other than a light screech whenever the brakes are applied throughout the 150km road trip we did. We will be visiting the service station soon for a few other problems as well as this problem.

I will make sure to update the thread so we can get to the root cause of the problem.
Screech sounds indicate brake pads wear. So, you may have to change it too.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 18:35   #15

The only possible explanation is that the retracting springs must have lost tension and hence brake pads not coming back to original position .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks