Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2021, 09:38   #16
BHPian

Re: Crank Pulley bolt shears off in a 22,000 km 6-year old Hyundai Elite i20

Very sad, but intriguing to know if the failure is related to the material quality or the design itself. My rationale is that, bolts are mostly standard parts and if it is a material fault it should have been occurring in multiple locations in the car where it is used (subjected to similar conditions) and other variants/models.

Also, the consistency of a QC issue on a basic part like the bolt (at supplier side) cannot go unnoticed.

I suspect the pulley and belt design, they might have done some mistake in belt load study or there is practical load difference (load acting on certain point/tolerance or amplification of the effect due to some misalignment).

Could you please check with experts is this might be a cause or quote them here?
Old 7th January 2021, 18:29   #17
Senior - BHPian

Checked out the evidence and other issues reported. Editing my earlier comment to remove my earlier views.

@ Mods, can you please delete this post.

Last edited by 2000rpm : 7th January 2021 at 18:37. Reason: Additional info
Old 7th January 2021, 21:45   #18
BHPian

I'm at a loss of words. Maruti manufactures tin cans, Hyundai-Kia has QC issues, Tata and Mahindra are unreliable, Honda doesn't know how to design a good chassis. That leaves us with Ford which is in two minds about India, Toyota with nothing other than rebadged cars south of 2 big millions and the VAG group that has given sleepless nights to so many fellow Bhpians.

That makes India "No country for car petrolheads!"

Last edited by kaushikduttajsr : 7th January 2021 at 21:56.
kaushikduttajsr is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 22:56   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushikduttajsr View Post
I'm at a loss of words. Maruti manufactures tin cans, Hyundai-Kia has QC issues, Tata and Mahindra are unreliable, Honda doesn't know how to design a good chassis. That leaves us with Ford which is in two minds about India, Toyota with nothing other than rebadged cars south of 2 big millions and the VAG group that has given sleepless nights to so many fellow Bhpians.

That makes India "No country for car petrolheads!"
This has indeed become a major concern for current buyers like me who prefers reliability & safety over everything else. I am currently looking at various options around 20L range and is awaiting upcoming releases like Vision, Taigun, new XUV500 but with all these concerns, quality issues cropping up everywhere around these vehicles, I am thinking may be it is best to go for an old trusted horse like Innova. Even in my wildest dream I wouldn't have dreamt of considering Innova as a front runner in 2021 (mainly because of its dated looks) with so much competition coming up around 20L range.
viscosity is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 10:29   #20
BHPian

This is precisely the reason I decided to go for Wagon R AGS rather than Nios AMT. Had to fight out my family who were completely sold on the premiumness of the Nios. Not saying that my Wagon R would be bulletproof as Maruti is also on a cost cutting spree but after reading all these posts here I would have cursed myself if something would have happened to Nios had I bought it. Ignorance is bliss till you become a tbhpian.

Last edited by Maverick Avi : 8th January 2021 at 10:30.
Maverick Avi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 10:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Now that we witness multiple quality issues being reported; it is even more important for our laws to improve against poor workmanship / lemon.

The cost of ownership is going up for auto products, at least the owner should get some peace of mind during its useful life.

Can the auto sector associations bring in self-discipline? before it is too late and government steps in?

Last edited by i74js : 8th January 2021 at 10:51.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 10:42   #22
BHPian

I suffered with my automatic diesel Verna and it's pulley. Had to spend close to 1.5 lakhs in various garages across kerala l just trying to rectify it, while it broke down in various places repeatedly. Most Hyundai garages won't be perfect. If not done correctly, the belt cuts off while running, which disables power steering, battery charging, A/c etc, basically you'd have to find a garage in less than 20kms before your battery drains off and car stops. Finally, Kazhakutam(tvm) Popular Hyundai team got it right and did a fabulous job.

So I suggest that you google and find the best authorized service centre in your state based on hyundai's customer feedback (i believe they have yearly awards). This issue repeats if not rectified correctly the first time. I really hope that your friend won't have to go through what I did. All the best.
sreeJiva is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 11:35   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
You can take the bolt to a spectra lab (in mumbai right?) and test its hardness and toughness.
In Pune, a metallurgy lab is available (or was available some years back) at COEP. The facilities are available to the public at a nominal fee. Another Pune source could be Pyrotreat. They are situated near the Karve Road telephone exchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushikduttajsr View Post
I'm at a loss of words. Maruti manufactures tin cans,
Tin cans but reliable tin cans with airbags! I have had zero mechanical/safety issues with two WagonRs. Also their network is the biggest in India if I am not mistaken.
Besides Maruti, I also have had zero mechanical/safety issues with my Terrano. Sadly, they keep dropping their dealers like flies. As I write this, the last one in Pune shut down. However, apparently a new one is coming up in the same place.
RedTerrano is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 11:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Here is a closer look at the sheared off bolt in my case
Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
It is a 300 Rs part.
Can manufacture this bolt off a harder grade of steel if needed. We can try EN24 and heat treat this to a little higher toughness rating if needed. But since this is a one off job, bolt may be bit expensive than 300~ Rs (selling price), it may be around 600Rs cost per bolt. There is turning, thread cutting, milling involved over and above heat treatment.

That hyundai bolt should cost maximum 60-75Rs by my costing estimation (mass production).

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Total repair cost was Rs. 2426/-
What Lathe job was involved here?

Last edited by svsantosh : 8th January 2021 at 11:56.
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 12:07   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
He started his car for his routine gym drive and heard something fall off in the engine bay. He opened up the engine bay to find the crank pulley on the floor along with a sheared off bolt and an intact belt!
Happened some years back on my Grandi10. Not much damage caused. Just had to spend on a new pulley (got a ding/bent by impact on the floor probably) & associated parts (the bolt) & the belt. No oils leaked/replaced, no other damage.

So Hyundai dealer was like: Its not a big deal, doesn't cause much damage & not expensive to fix. (Later I came to know that it happens a lot on Grand i10. Much later I came to know it just happens a lot in other Hyundai models too )
& I was like: why dont you put it in your sales brochure/service booklet then, since fixing it is not important to Hyundai apparently - declare it as a consumable

Last edited by anks_at : 8th January 2021 at 12:20.
anks_at is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 16:37   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
Tin cans but reliable tin cans with airbags! I have had zero mechanical/safety issues with two WagonRs. Also their network is the biggest in India if I am not mistaken.
The biggest plus point of older maruti models imo is, workshop manuals, parts catalogs are all available over the market. There's nothing stopping you from fixing basic issues that pop up in suzuki engines & cars if you are okay with your hands getting dirty and you have a few tools.
stallmaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 17:30   #27
BHPian

IMO without waiting for recall,all owners should simply go & get this replaced ASAP.
Care to be taken to source the bolt. Preferably to be bought on original part number & description.
Old 18th December 2022, 14:23   #28
BHPian

This part should get replaced every 15k to 20k km to avoid big issues while on drive. Why such small issues are not resolved using higher quality parts during manufacturing stage itself?

Another thread linked to this -
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-response.html (Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!)
Tech is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks