Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2020, 11:58   #1
BHPian

Errors & Niggles in my Tata Harrier

I am starting this thread to discuss the various faults/niggles one might have encountered with their Tata Harrier and also the solutions you were offered with or the ones you have found. I looked around the forum and could not find any existing threads around this topic.

I currently own a 2019 Harrier XZ and it has been used by my Dad since a couple of months. So far we have encountered two faults and one instance during which there was no ignition and my parents were stranded on the middle of the road.

1. The vehicle was being driven in city traffic and that's when the "Malfunction detected/Drive malfunction" warning started flashing in the console. And about 30 mins later the vehicle stopped in the middle of the road and refused to start. I only had oral information and hence I personally couldn't inspect/troubleshoot what went wrong. My parents sought help from a nearby fuel station and managed to move the vehicle to the station from the middle of the road during the middle of the night.
Road side assistance arrived in about an hour's time and the vehicle was transported to the nearest service centre. Next day the SS (Urs Cars, Mysore) informed us a fuse had blown and that was the only identified cause. again, I only had oral information since I stay in Bangalore and the incident happened in Mysore.

I , to this point do not believe a blown fuse could had caused all these troubles and perhaps there could be some underlying reason why the fuse blew in the first place.

2. The vehicle has run into another fault where the console now flashes a red light and displays "Low oil pressure". At this moment, I am travelling to Mysore so that I can put an end to this ordeal both for myself and my parents.

Both these incidents have occurred within a span of 1 month and now I am apprehensive about my parents continuing to use the vehicle. I do not want them to be stranded in the middle of the road especially since they reside quite some distance away from the city.

Do update this thread with the incidents you have encountered and also if you were offered with a solution you found appropriate or convincing.
soji is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 13:20   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Errors & Niggles in my Tata Harrier

Sorry to hear about these problems. With a red low oil pressure you can not use the car. Doing so would cause major damage to the engine, potentially.

The best course of action is to get it hooked up to a brand/model specific OBD analyser that can read all error codes, not just the generic P codes.

There might be some stored in memory as well. Hopefully that might give some indication as to what is going on.

Good luck

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 13:36   #3
BHPian

Good of you to start this thread. Much required.

I was on the verge of getting the XZA+ but tested Covid positive. I'll be doing my purchase after I get better.

Really love the Harrier but the frequent complaints and niggles reported are giving me cold feet. So, also considering the Hyundai Creta on the lower side and the Compass on the higher side ( Jeep Siliguri are offering 1.5 Lakh discount on the few remaining stock of Limited Plus 4x4 and 4x2) tempting, but still prefer the Harrier.

A thread like yours with complaints and solutions would be great not only for owners but also for people like me who are considering buying one.

Thank you.
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 14:23   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soji View Post

2. The vehicle has run into another fault where the console now flashes a red light and displays "Low oil pressure". At this moment, I am travelling to Mysore so that I can put an end to this ordeal both for myself and my parents.
Same happened to my buddy's Harrier and he was worried big time.
Turned out it was a false signal, something to do with a sensor picking up the wrong signals. They did some software updating and it was back to normal.

Apart from that, the only thing he complains about is the laggy, freezing infotainment screen. An update was done and hopefully it works properly now.
His is a 2019 XZ.

My personal observations

1. Steering mounted buttons sometimes get slightly stuck, another press and they are okay.
2. Infotainmment screen (before multiple updates) sometimes freeze, requiring restarting the vehicle for it to come back.
3. Had done a 1400km continuous drive a couple of days before the lockdown. While returning there was a whining sound from the front right wheel area, when accelerating hard.
Couldn't replicate it again, and neither my friend nor his father had that sound coming again.
4. The infotainment bezel creaks on touch, especially if you rest your hand on top while operating it.

Other than that it has been faultless till now. Fingers crossed.
The space offered ,styling and the suspension set up makes you forget the downsides.
DicKy is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 14:39   #5
BHPian

Thanks Jeroen. I was worried when my dad mentioned he ran into this issue.
But now that I could physically inspect the vehicle I see that the oil levels are all right and it could be a false alarm/sensor malfunction. I will be dropping the vehicle at the ASC tomorrow morning since they're closed on Sundays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Sorry to hear about these problems. With a red low oil pressure you can not use the car. Doing so would cause major damage to the engine, potentially.

The best course of action is to get it hooked up to a brand/model specific OBD analyser that can read all error codes, not just the generic P codes.

There might be some stored in memory as well. Hopefully that might give some indication as to what is going on.

Good luck

Jeroen

I'm sorry to hear that. Wishing you a speedy recovery! From what I know so far, they have been actively listening to customer feedback and have been sorting these on newer vehicles. I'm just hoping they have some solution in place to fix these on the older models too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post
Good of you to start this thread. Much required.

I was on the verge of getting the XZA+ but tested Covid positive. I'll be doing my purchase after I get better.

Really love the Harrier but the frequent complaints and niggles reported are giving me cold feet. So, also considering the Hyundai Creta on the lower side and the Compass on the higher side ( Jeep Siliguri are offering 1.5 Lakh discount on the few remaining stock of Limited Plus 4x4 and 4x2) tempting, but still prefer the Harrier.

A thread like yours with complaints and solutions would be great not only for owners but also for people like me who are considering buying one.

Thank you.

Mine is a 2019 XZ too. Thank you for the insights and I totally agree to your points. It's just that, I don't find this vehicle to be appropriate for my dad who is now 60+. I would like him to drive the vehicle at anytime of the day without having to worry about it breaking down or throwing tantrums.

Now that you mentioned, I too have the slow interface, creaks from the dash, sticky buttons and random AC settings during start issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Turned out it was a false signal, something to do with a sensor picking up the wrong signals. They did some software updating and it was back to normal.

Apart from that, the only thing he complains about is the laggy, freezing infotainment screen. An update was done and hopefully it works properly now.
His is a 2019 XZ.

My personal observations

1. Steering mounted buttons sometimes get slightly stuck, another press and they are okay.
2. Infotainmment screen (before multiple updates) sometimes freeze, requiring restarting the vehicle for it to come back.
3. Had done a 1400km continuous drive a couple of days before the lockdown. While returning there was a whining sound from the front right wheel area, when accelerating hard.
Couldn't replicate it again, and neither my friend nor his father had that sound coming again.
4. The infotainment bezel creaks on touch, especially if you rest your hand on top while operating it.

Other than that it has been faultless till now. Fingers crossed.
The space offered ,styling and the suspension set up makes you forget the downsides.

Last edited by soji : 20th December 2020 at 15:06.
soji is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 19:45   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
T
But now that I could physically inspect the vehicle I see that the oil levels are all right and it could be a false alarm/sensor malfunction. I will be dropping the vehicle at the ASC tomorrow morning since they're closed on Sundays.
Carefull, just because the oil level is all right does not mean the oil pressure alarm is false! There could be something with the oil pump, pressure regulator, etc. So don’t start the engine until you are absolutely sure the oil pressure is ok!

Good luck

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 19:50   #7
BHPian

Sure, will bear that in mind. I hope it's nothing serious though.

Quote:
Carefull, just because the oil level is all right does not mean the oil pressure alarm is false! There could be something with the oil pump, pressure regulator, etc. So don’t start the engine until you are absolutely sure the oil pressure is ok!

Good luck

Jeroen
soji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 10:50   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's just that, I don't find this vehicle to be appropriate for my dad who is now 60+. I would like him to drive the vehicle at anytime of the day without having to worry about it breaking down or throwing tantrums.
Add to that, Harrier isn't the easiest to drive around for older folks.
Not only does it show its bulk visually, even from the driver's seat the bulk is evident. In narrow urban confines. Not the kind of car that wraps around the driver.
Add to that, in the manual version, the driving experience is more akin to a BOF vehicle than a typical monocoque crossover (IMHO)

Agree, peace of mind at such an age is priceless.
DicKy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 11:22   #9
BHPian

I have an update to this thread.

The vehicle was scanned for error codes and ASC folks have confirmed this is a false positive.

According to them, the "Low engine oil pressure" warning pops up every 15K on the ODO, unlike the typical "Service due" warning which we're familiar with. At this point all they have done is clear the code and has asked me to stick to the service schedule which is due only by next March.

I have embedded the warning below:

Errors & Niggles in my Tata Harrier-harrier_oil_pressure.jpeg

I fail to fathom why a "Low engine oil pressure" warning is flashed instead of a "Service due" notification. One who has some idea about low engine oil pressure consequences would hesitate to even start the car. I mean, what does it take to update the text on this warning?

Do you think this was the case here too? Did it happen after 15K on the ODO?
Quote:

Last edited by soji : 21st December 2020 at 11:28.
soji is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 12:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There was a whining sound from the front right wheel area, when accelerating hard.
Whining sound from the wheel area most of the times turns out to be some debris stuck between the brake rotor and brake pad.
vikram_d is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 14:06   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I fail to fathom why a "Low engine oil pressure" warning is flashed instead of a "Service due" notification. One who has some idea about low engine oil pressure consequences would hesitate to even start the car. I mean, what does it take to update the text on this warning?

Do you think this was the case here too? Did it happen after 15K on the ODO?
@Soji: I think the ASC guys were just trying to hide something with illogical reason. If its the design case then you will find the information in owner's manual about the conditions why the low engine oil pressure warning will be flashed. Please check if you still have doubt.
Was the warning continuous or appeared intermittently?

@Dicky & @ Jeroen: Based on both your statements, I can imagine a probable reason. I had come across this issue during a project(not in Tata), we had similar wrong flashing of low engine oil pressure, when we checked for the root cause, it was the integration issue. When engine starts, the pressure spools up and stabilizes after few seconds and if this delay is not captured in software of instrument cluster, then you get wrong warnings(but it will stay since the healing strategy would have been after few more seconds or another ignition action).
saikarthik is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 11:42   #12
BHPian

Re: Errors & Niggles in my Tata Harrier

I own a 2020 BS6 XMA.

Problem 1

Car moving left, one can say that car always tries to move left.
Visit 1
3 days after the delivery, I went to the Hartron service centre Gurgaon.
They checked wheel alignment and it was found to be ok. Then they swapped the front wheels and asked me to take the vehicle and check for a few days.
Problem was not resolved. I planned to raise the problem again during the first service.

Visit 2
On first service (@ 1200 km), I raised the concern again but the person who looks after the wheel alignment was not present.

Visit 3
Went to the service centre after a couple of days. They did something but refused to tell me what, and asked me to take a test drive. The problem was not solved.
At this point, they started seeing me as an eccentric person, they refused that there is a problem in the vehicle. I escalated the matter to the service manager, and he acknowledged the problem.

Fun fact (but a serious flaw) - Me informing problem to the service advisor.
Service advisor (without taking a test drive) assign it to a mechanic.
The mechanic, without taking a test drive, starts rectification of the problem.
The service manager to me (without taking a test drive), "Sir car is ready".
I had to drive the car every time like this and inform them that the problem still persists.
At this point, I lost patience and refused to take the delivery without rectification.

2 days later I received a call that the vehicle is ready, "Tata Motors has asked for steering recalibration and we have done that, now the vehicle is ok"

I took a test drive and it was 90% better. I accepted the vehicle and convinced my self that I bought a "TATA" and should have seen this coming.

Visit 4
Though the vehicle moving left problem was somewhat better but they forgot to centre the steering. While driving straight steering is 2 to 3 degrees off.
As I type, they are collecting my car from home.

Problem 2
Rear parking sensors have a mind of their own. Some times they show full reading despite no obstacle behind the car. However, a very dangerous condition, at times it does not beep at all or shows any reading even when the car is about to hit an obstacle.

I am not able to replicate this problem at the SVC; hence, no solution provided. (Infotainment system was updated - Problem still persists)

Problem 3
Steering making grinding sound sometimes. Was not able to replicate the same at SVC during first service; hence, no solution provided. (The greased some joints and said that problem will resolve - it still remains.)

Typical Tata 1
They soiled my boot carpet while filling DEF, they dropped some on the carpet.

Typical Tata 2
I detail my car myself and after seeing the way they clean car at SVC, I dread not to get it cleaned there (they apply greasy stuff all over the interior, use the same cloth to clean car over and over again without washing it). So, I asked them not to clean my car.
However, their mechanic had no mercy whatsoever. He soiled my steering wheel and door handle with greasy dirty hands (on a car which is barely a month old).

Typical Tata 3
While installing a front parking sensor, they scratched the dashboard with a screwdriver. When I complained about it, I got the reply "Sir what we can do about it" (creepy expressions).

Typical Tata 4
Mechanic cursing me (behind my back but I could hear him and observe from his body language) when I refused to admit that the problem 1 has been resolved.

Another worrisome point:-
Whenever I am posting about such problems on Facebook or giving feedback to a prospective buyer (which in most of the cases is negative) some people are trolling me and others with similar opinions. These people are being called anitnationals, not a true Indian and similar things. I smell some PR agency behind this. I might be wrong but this is what I have observed.
amandeepkamboj is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:34   #13
BHPian

Thanks for starting this thread.

I am on the verge of buying the vehicle but unhappy with the year end discount so waiting for a new one. I think I will wait for Skoda Vision IN (hopefully in Q1 2021) as I do not like the Korean siblings.

Space, Looks and Presence is something no other car in that budget can provide however, if Skoda gets their act right they certainly have a good engine and a dash of luxury that might make me move over my love for Harrier today.
abhatt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 14:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

According to them, the "Low engine oil pressure" warning pops up every 15K on the ODO, unlike the typical "Service due" warning which we're familiar with. At this point all they have done is clear the code and has asked me to stick to the service schedule which is due only by next March.
This response is ridiculous from the service center. What if the person uses the car for 20K kms in a year, is he still expected to come to service only in March,the next year? Or is the user expected to visit the ASC every 15K/March, just to clear out the false positive error code?
07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 16:10   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandeepkamboj View Post
Problem 2
Rear parking sensors have a mind of their own. Some times they show full reading despite no obstacle behind the car. However, a very dangerous condition, at times it does not beep at all or shows any reading even when the car is about to hit an obstacle.

I am not able to replicate this problem at the SVC; hence, no solution provided. (Infotainment system was updated - Problem still persists)

Another worrisome point:-
Whenever I am posting about such problems on Facebook or giving feedback to a prospective buyer (which in most of the cases is negative) some people are trolling me and others with similar opinions. These people are being called anitnationals, not a true Indian and similar things. I smell some PR agency behind this. I might be wrong but this is what I have observed.
For Problem 2: Infotainment unit is a display for reverse park assist system. The logic for detection and sensor calibration lies within either a dedicated control unit or the master sensor.
I don't know how flashing software on infotainment unit can be a solution unless it is a sync issue(signal timer in technical terms known as clock frequency).

Could be in a rare case ground issue to sensor/control unit or calibration issue of the sensors.
saikarthik is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks