Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2020, 09:51   #31
BHPian

Re: Errors & Niggles in my Tata Harrier

This thread worries me.
I was one of the few first wave buyers of XUV and there were minor niggles and I lived with it.
But getting stranded in the middle of the road scares me.

I was about to close the deal for a Harrier for my dad as it was the most comfortable of the Seltos, Creta, Hector and Harrier and the XM version fit my budget.
Mind says Creta for trouble free ownership and resale value (and of course 3 lakhs cheaper for the EX version). But For the size, comfort and looks it's Harrier.

Looking at the issues, I am now having serious second thoughts.
Old 24th December 2020, 10:40   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
First car started loosing power, then the F light came up on the MID. He drove the car back home after restarting it and spoke to TATA SC.

Car has clocked 2,000 KMs since then, no issues whatsoever.
Was the "F" light related to DEF fluid? There are a number of warnings mentioned in the owners manual regarding that, even for a low quality DEF fluid!
Attached Thumbnails
Errors & Niggles in my Tata Harrier-screenshot_202012241025302.png  

Errors & Niggles in my Tata Harrier-screenshot_202012241025582.png  

Errors & Niggles in my Tata Harrier-screenshot_202012241033002.png  

Old 24th December 2020, 15:41   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivibhu View Post
Looking at the issues, I am now having serious second thoughts.
Having owned the Hexa for a year now, and since you’re contemplating a purchase for your dad, I recommend you to stay away from the Harrier. Unless you’re ready to wait till Jan 2022. Wait for all the issues to be ironed out.

Tata’s customer service and A.S.S. is not worth your time unless you and your dad absolutely love the Harrier to bits and can’t think of owning another car. My love for the Hexa as a product helps me deal with the lacklustre after sales and service and indulge in fun banter regarding it’s issues with fellow owners.

The aria/hexa have been around for a better part of the decade. I don’t think I know of any Hexa owner who hasn’t had a warranty claim. Tata’s QC is simply pathetic. You’ll have to wait for my ownership review thread for details.

But I’ll just say this. If you can turn around looking at the Harrier and feel some love for it, having just dropped it at Tass to get an issue sorted, not knowing when you’ll get the car back, with zero empathy from Tata’s customer care, go for it. Otherwise go for the top end Nexon, since issues should be sorted by now, or the Harrier’s competitors, if safety is not your number 1 priority. Or wait it out for another year.
TROOPER is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 22:20   #34
BHPian

Today I ran into another error, "Hill descent malfunction". This started appearing only after they fixed the service reminder. I wasn't able to take a picture since it's intermittent but I will have it attached the next time I encounter the same.
Old 25th December 2020, 07:01   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Having owned the Hexa for a year now, and since you’re contemplating a purchase for your dad, I recommend you to stay away from the Harrier. Unless you’re ready to wait till Jan 2022. Wait for all the issues to be ironed out.
My dad is NOT a fan of TATA. While he likes the car, there is no affinity with the brand. I prefer an almost fuss free ownership too.

What attracts me is the great engine, back seat comfort on bad roads and sheer presence of the car.
I don't plan on waiting right now so maybe back to the Creta.
Thanks!
Old 3rd January 2021, 16:48   #36
BHPian

Another issue popped in on this Thursday.
Thermostat got stuck and is not moving to the cool side.

Immediately I reported the problem to Gurgaon Service centre (I was in Mohali, Punjab that day). They asked me to call tollfree helpline number.
Toll-free number connected me to the local service centre "Mohali Motors". Service manager over there asked for my number and assured me that he would be sending me the location of the showroom. He never texted me the location, neither did he bother to call me for assistance.
I searched for the showroom and navigated there. Upon reaching, I asked the service manager to take a look at the problem. After examining the problem, he told me that it would take 3 to 4 days for the part to arrive. I connected him to the Gurgaon service centre service manager so that he could explain to him the situation and the part order could be punched in advance to save time.

This is 6th time my Harrier would be going to a service centre for one or the other issue.
It is Oct 2020 model, now I am feeling like a loser and a lot of people around me have started teasing me "Or Lele TATA".

I regret buying TATA. Will never recommend it to anyone.

1. Poor quality control.
2. Rude sales staff
3. Unskilled service staff
4. Unreliable vehicle

And the worst thing is that I am not the only one facing such issues. Visit a service centre and you will observe a lot of unfortunate customers.

One more thing, service centre ignore any accessory related problem (Tata genuine accessory), the ask customer to visit the showroom from where the accessory has been installed. Just see how front parking sensors on my Harrier malfunctions with the AC fan speed.

amandeepkamboj is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 18:05   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandeepkamboj View Post
I own a 2020 BS6 XMA.

Problem 1

Car moving left, one can say that car always tries to move left.

2 days later I received a call that the vehicle is ready, "Tata Motors has asked for steering recalibration and we have done that, now the vehicle is ok"

I took a test drive and it was 90% better. I accepted the vehicle and convinced my self that I bought a "TATA" and should have seen this coming.
Strangely, my Tata Tigor XZ+ had this same issue.

The car went for its third free service last month and wheel rotation, balancing and alignment was done for the first time (car is a year old, BS4 petrol).

During the test drive before collecting the car, I noticed the car pulling to the left. I raised it with the service centre and they too mentioned about having to do some calibration.

After they did whatever it was, the car is straight as an arrow.

They did the WA/WB from an outside centre, so I have no idea what they did. But that took care of the problem.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 12:30   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soji View Post
Today I ran into another error, "Hill descent malfunction".
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandeepkamboj View Post
Another issue popped in on this Thursday.
Thermostat got stuck and is not moving to the cool side.

And the worst thing is that I am not the only one facing such issues. Visit a service centre and you will observe a lot of unfortunate customers.

Just see how front parking sensors on my Harrier malfunctions with the AC fan speed.
Dear Soji and amandeepkamboj,
I had subscribed to this thread out of curiosity as I was hoping that the issues will soon iron out.

First disclaimer - I am a existing Hexa owner and quite femilier with TASS and their working. You can find my own ownership reviews. I am not a Tata Fanboy and I only intend to help you here with your issue.

Now I had earlier owned Hyundai and Maruti so was not familiar with TASS way of working. I can relate to your statements that if you point out some issue, they are quick to dismiss it saying 'eise hi hota hai, normal hai...' etc however I love Tata cars and their driveability. So lets start on a few things which may help you here.

1. First thing - Dont be disheartened. I know when you face niggles on a new car, its pretty disappointing however rest assured these can be sorted out with some time and patience. Keep the moral high.
2. Next is - How to deal with TASS - Be firm but polite, insist on the rectifications to your satisfaction
3. Always raise issues through the service App of TATA. This is the most important thing. This creates a chain of records of the issues you faced and what actions are taken. If the same issue is reported by you multiple times on the App, it will be taken very seriously by TASS. They are under pressure to revert back in such cases.
4. Connect to a CRM of any nearby TASS. Explain issues and ask for some personal help. Better is to connect or talk to the Service VP or heads and not just to SA. They are usually not accessible but if you meet them and explain issues they are generally trying to help.
5. With TASS you need to give them one or two tries for electronics issues, the general mechanics are not so much electronics savvy.
6. JOin owner groups of your respective vehicles - Harrier Owners Group in Facebook, connect with fellow owners and find out which TASS is better in your city. This helps often to get the name of some mechanic somewhere who has dealt with such an issue already.

Lastly if all of the above fails, try reaching out to TATA on twitter or Facebook in SOUL groups and ask / request for help (the key here is not be offensive). Present the thread. Use/Flaunt your TBhp membership if needed to get some pressure.

I sincerely hope its resolved for you. Believe me once all is sorted out and next time you drive your car, you will fall in love again with the same.
swarnava.ch is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 13:16   #39
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunate and really kills the enthusiasm of buying a new car.

Now people (include myself) want Tata to give us everything from the start. Its not just QC but issues with integrating various features. On the other hand, something like slow touchscreen response should be seen by Tata themselves and fixed.
Old 21st February 2021, 12:52   #40
BHPian

Today morning, my entire drive mode functions stopped working. The centre console with the knob which controls these functions also are not functioning as of now (TCS, Hill Descent, ABS lights are on).

My warranty expires next month and I'm really worried about the ordeal I might have to face with this vehicle post that.

Errors & Niggles in my Tata Harrier-harrier_error.jpg

On the other hand, my dad got himself the facelift Hector and I have some peace of mind now. The TATA fanboy in me is officially dead.

Errors & Niggles in my Tata Harrier-image_6487327.jpg

Last edited by soji : 21st February 2021 at 12:56.
soji is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 16:01   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soji View Post
The TATA fanboy in me is officially dead.
Sad to hear that. Anyway you are not the only one. Tata's quality department is the biggest advertisement for Toyota and Suzuki. Having experienced their quality for the last three years, I have decided that if I ever buy one more car, it will be a Toyota.

On another note, Is there a possibility of a rat bite here? Few people in our Hexa group went through the same symptoms after rat bites. How is it that your warranty is about to end ? Tata standard warranty is three years right ? Extended warranty is a must if you want to live with a Tata for long. If you don't have it please purchase one before your warranty ends.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 21st February 2021 at 16:09.
padmrajravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 16:25   #42
BHPian

The standard warranty is 2 years. But you're right; perhaps I was too presumptuous to assume nothing could go wrong in this vehicle.

I had my XUV 5OO for a good 6 years and it hasn't been to the service centre other than during the scheduled appointments.

I have not ruled out the possibility of a rat bite but whenever I take my vehicle to the A.S.S we do not encounter the error. (No visible evidence of a possible infestation either) I'm taking the vehicle to another service centre tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Sad to hear that. Anyway you are not the only one. Tata's quality department is the biggest advertisement for Toyota and Suzuki. Having experienced their quality for the last three years, I have decided that if I ever buy one more car, it will be a Toyota.

On another note, Is there a possibility of a rat bite here? Few people in our Hexa group went through the same symptoms after rat bites. How is it that your warranty is about to end ? Tata standard warranty is three years right ? Extended warranty is a must if you want to live with a Tata for long. If you don't have it please purchase one before your warranty ends.
Old 26th February 2021, 22:37   #43
BHPian

I thought I'll quickly provide everyone with an update on the status of my vehicle; and maybe also emphasise the importance of choosing the right service centre for your car.

After the series of events over the last few months, the first and foremost thing I did this time is to extend the vehicle's warranty by another 3 years/unlimited km.

The vehicle was mostly used in mysore over the last year and was always given to Urs kars, mysore for general checkups, repairs and also major services. Since I found them to be very incompetent, I decided to bring the car back to Bangalore to sort out the issues in the car.

I booked an appointment on Monday with Adishakti motors in Bangalore as that was the closest service centre. The service advisor along with a mechanic picked up the car and I had briefed them on the various issues I had. (High noise levels, vibration, squeaks during acceleration and the various errors I keep running into).

They took the vehicle to the service centre and after an hour or so I receive a couple of pictures which indicates an oil leak from the transmission. The crankshaft seal (rear main seal) has been leaking for a period and they had noticed this when they removed the stone guard to check the vibration/engine mounts. This was a shocker because I had asked Urs kars numerous times and the vehicle was also there numerous times for inspection and this went unnoticed. Not once did they remove the stone guard it seems.

Upon further inspection we realized there has been significant leak and it has possibly damaged the clutch plates too. As a result, the oil seal, clutch kit was replaced under warranty. The parts took a while to source and they arrived on Thursday. I visited the service centre today to quickly oversee the work and also for a test drive after that.

During the test drive, I continued to hear the squeaks from under the vehicle and the mechanic immediately mentioned that the drive belt and tensioner might need replacement. We went back and got that replaced under warranty again.

The service advisor also noticed that the infotainment system's firmware was outdated by 4 versions. Again, in my head I was wondering how could Urs kars overlook firmware updates.

I had also indicated about the driver side window acting strange and as it turns out the power window switch was defective and also was causing a rattle. That was replaced under warranty too.

I performed one last check and everything seemed allright. The clutch felt super light all of a sudden and engaged/disengaged quite well. The squeaks disappeared and I feel much better driving the vehicle around.

We might expect all brand service centres and technicians to be highly skilled or for them to show any sincerity at all to their work but that is often not the case. At this point, I'm glad I have better control over this vehicle now that I am going to use it, going forward.
soji is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 23:19   #44
BHPian

Glad that your car is back ! So the errors were of rat bites ?
Adisakthi Motors seems like a competent one.
Old 26th February 2021, 23:35   #45
BHPian

Glad you got the car back, hopefully all fixed. One thing I would have done is to leave whatever work I was doing and seat down with the mechanics at service center and push them for finding root cause instead of some jugaad.
akshay380 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks