Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2020, 12:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Several issues with my Jaguar XF

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagananand View Post
...In July, it started to rain in Delhi and the wipers would make a loud screeching sound along with juddering. The wipers were replaced. The problem was not solved. Some clay cleaning was done on the windscreen. The problem was STILL not solved. Now, they decided to do some coating on the windscreen, but once again, failed.

Finally, they changed the windscreen, wipers and wiper arms. God was by their side and the rains stopped in Delhi...
Marked in bold why I don't trust the intentions of the dealer.

They could've aligned the wiper arms so it sits flatly on the windshield at an angle. There are plenty videos online to show how this is done in various cars. IMO changing the factory fitted windshield was absolutely unnecessary & uncalled for.

I doubt they don't have a mechanic to fix this.

Quote:
...They changed the tyres to solve the underbody noise...
Next time, demand that they send you pictures on WhatsApp for you to see the issue before giving your approval.

Quote:
...Now, in early November, I tried to start the car and everything started except the car!!! The wipers were moving, windows rolling, dashboard flashing and ORVMs folding and unfolding with a loud spark-like sound. I jumped out of the car...
What error codes did they get when they scanned the OBD ? Because this could be anything

Quote:
JLR India people made a statement that there are heavy electronics in the car, so all this is normal... I said the car could have caught fire. They said don't worry, it did not...
That's no justification! The whole cars electronics lighting up & spooking a customer is no joke!

Quote:
They took a week to repair the car and told me this time the TCU is faulty. God knows.
To be honest, since it's troubling you enough to post here, definitely calls for some deeper digging by you.

Quote:
I have not taken delivery of the car as I am scared for my life. The car has just done about 8,000 km and spent about 4 months in the workshop. Totally undependable.
IMO, given the dealers casual attitude to safety concerns by customer & stunt with changing the windshield for a wiper judder, you may need to understand the cars' mechanicals a bit more to have a somewhat decent ownership experience.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 3rd December 2020 at 12:42.
GrammarNazi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 15:26   #17
BHPian

Have you considered filing a consumer court case? Despite common belief, these courts do dispose of cases more quickly (1 Year is the average), and if it is all documented, you have a fair chance of getting a positive verdict.

Sometimes just the case being filed spurs these companies into action. A few years ago I had a serious issue with a bank, not closing a loan fully (though I had paid it out fully), having some trivial amount multiply and then having the gumption to report it to CIBIL as 'settlement case'.

3 months of all sorts of escalations didn't work, I then filed appeal in the RBI Ombudsman and had my lawyer send a notice saying if they didn't reply within a week, we are filing suit.

They settled even before we went to court, made my balance zero, and sent a clarification note to CIBIL AND paid me moderate sum for both my inconvenience and silence (and ofc I had to sign a complete waiver + NDA on this so I could never go to the press or social media)

My recommendation would be file suit, ask for full value of car to be returned to you, and see how it plays out.
Stribog is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:08   #18
BHPian

The apathy shown by the OEM is really shocking! What really will make things like these straightened out? Can't imagine the pressure and sleepless nights one undergoes in such cases. Worse is, unless you have some backing, legal fight also becomes lengthy ordeal!

As some of the other members suggested, keep all documents including the interaction related proofs ready and move to legal proceedings. Legal route may be long but you get full compensation and then move to a Bimmer!!

Last edited by Quinn : 3rd December 2020 at 17:10. Reason: Typo
Quinn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 19:54   #19
BHPian

In the constant pursuit of loading cars with features to the gills, manufacturers have lost sight of focusing on reliability. In today's automotive ecosystem, Lemons are everywhere, no manufacturer can plead pardon anymore.

Its not easy to place your trust in a car that almost caught fire! My suggestion would be to book a loss and opt for something else.

Came across a C250 D done just 9k kms at a mouthwatering price. We just couldn't wrap our heads around why an owner would want to sell such a good car, well until we saw the service history. Battery, power steering, suspension all had issues in a few thousand kms.
Pashin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 21:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Jag hasn't changed it's ways from it's Brit heritage days: when it was said that "Jag's should come with a mechanic in the boot"! They were that reliable then and are as reliable now. @Gagan Anand: I'm sorry for all your woe's after spending big money one can't enjoy one's car.
Durango Dude is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 07:27   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Car did not catch fire and that is good.
So after paying such huge amounts, the customer should be satisfied that his car won't catch Fire?? Is this what owning a luxury car brand has come down to? Atrocious!
CarNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 08:39   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Over telephonic calls JLR India people sympathize with me but when it comes to solution they try to take advantage of the fact that India still does not have Lemon laws like the USA
Even in the US, the dealers and manufacturers are well protected from the lemon law, which varies from state to state. They can make "reasonable number of attempts" to fix problems within "reasonable amount of time". They have too many exceptions. My friend had a brand new BMW 535 that kept having issues with power windows, certain sensors and lighting (headlights, taillights, and cabin lights). The dealer needed it to be the same motor, or light for lemon law to be applied. In his case the driver side power window broke 2 times, and passenger side once. I think it was power windows or locks, I do not remember the specifics. I do remember that he had to put his car on a flat bed many times because of sensor failure, as the car refused to budge.
Who is to argue what is reasonable amount of time to fix these issues, all these times. The lawyers go by precedent. It was never the same exact light, sensor or motor. A lawyer that he consulted with did not give him much confidence. He sold the car one month before warranty expired. No idea who owns the headache now, hopefully the new owner had the brains to buy extended warranty.
I have heard of many people living with VW/Audi, BMW or a Mercedes with many issues, but have not seen anyone be able to use the lemon law. (talking about California) I have seen my colleague be on the jury duty for a dispute involving lemon law, and the dealer won.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 4th December 2020 at 09:06.
Old 4th December 2020, 13:03   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post

They can make "reasonable number of attempts" to fix problems within "reasonable amount of time"....
Thats what make it so dreadful with so called depreciating assets. If you get a good lawyer, you may have a chance but if not, you got to have connections to go through this ordeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post

I have seen my colleague be on the jury duty for a dispute involving lemon law, and the dealer won.
Will it be a dealer fault usually? What if its manufacturing issue and surfaces sporadically. During dealer inspections, they might not have caught it (I am specifically asking about US laws).

Coming to the case of OP, I feel JLR should take more responsibility. They seem to be ready to help selling the car so they seem to know that its a defective piece and trying smooth talk out of it.
Old 6th December 2020, 14:32   #24
BHPian

Very sad to hear about your ordeal. Jaguar XE is my favorite entry level luxury car just due to the sheer design beauty it carries! They are the best when it comes to design these days. I wish for a car that has Jag exteriors, Merc Interior & driving comfort with a BMW engine and gearbox!

Can you share few pics of your beauty here ??

I hope all your woes with XF will end soon and get all the things sorted out in the quickest of time!

Last edited by kamilharis : 6th December 2020 at 14:40.
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 15:11   #25
RMN
BHPian

Quote:
Finally, they changed the windscreen, wipers and wiper arms. God was by their side and the rains stopped in Delhi. could have caught fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
They could've aligned the wiper arms so it sits flatly on the windshield at an angle. There are plenty videos online to show how this is done in various cars. IMO changing the factory fitted windshield was absolutely unnecessary & uncalled for.
Hmm not really, at least in my experience. My Ford Freestyle has the same issue. The driver side wiper makes a lot of chatter and doesn't wipe well. Tried the following in vain:
  1. The dealership replaced the blade multiple times
  2. I reassembled the arms
  3. Dealership cleaned the windshield with a clay bar - resolves the issue for about a day and then resurfaces.
  4. Dealership swapped the blade and arms with the one from another car for testing.

Only thing that was left for me to try was replacing the windshield. I asked my advisor for the same and he said he isn't sure if that will be approved or not. I dint push them either because I wanted to experiment more before going down that route since I wasn't very keen on them tampering with my car.

I tried out a cheap silicone based blade and that resolved the issue by almost 90%. So I recommend the OP try that too if the issue persists.
RMN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 12:51   #26

Quote:
I bought a Jaguar XF from AMP Motors some time last year. The trouble started immediately with underbody noise which I was advised to live with. Immediately, the Bluetooth started giving trouble.

I have not taken delivery of the car as I am scared for my life. The car has just done about 8,000 km and spent about 4 months in the workshop. Totally undependable.
Highly irresponsible behaviour from Jaguar. I hope they don't start running on the lines of their Parent company Tata.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 10th December 2020 at 13:04. Reason: Trimmed post quote.
Old 14th December 2020, 19:13   #27
BANNED

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 14th December 2020 at 19:34.
Old 6th December 2022, 15:22   #28
BHPian

I know it's an old thread but what happened at the end? I am also looking at purchasing a Jaguar but after reading this thread, I am not interested too much.
How much should an old 2009 XF cost?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks