Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2020, 10:24   #16
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo: 4 ABS sensor failures in 2 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ABTorquey View Post
What made me post it here is because today while starting the car this came up.
Ah, a VAG vehicle in its natural habitat - a lit up gauge cluster.

Why jump from the frying pan into the fire, by buying a Hyundai?

Toyota & Honda makes vehicles specifically for people like you & me who wants the car to work as advertised, well engineered & without any tantrums from the basic mechanical components.

Get a Jazz CVT or a Yaris CVT & enjoy 10-15 yrs of fuss free ownership.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 10:47   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post
Sorry for going OT here, the first thing that caught my eye is your location. Nice to meet someone from Kannur!
Hey There! Great to see you onboard. I am from Thalassery, from your location I assume that you are working in Chennai. Maybe we should meet one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
PS : Was there any analysis done on these failures by Volkswagen?.
This is a normal procedure at the showroom. A very frequent issue so as soon as you reach the showroom and tell them about the issue a technician will come and check which side sensor has gone and place the order for the same. When the part arrives you change it. For every visit I've seen atleast two ABS cases. That's what makes me wonder, such a frequent issue and not being addressed by the company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
I was told that its due to the tyre upsize to 205s in our case.
@OP: Have you upsized your tyres by any chance?
No, I haven't done any upsize. The car is on stock tyres and is about time to change.
Old 21st November 2020, 10:59   #18
BHPian

Thank you guys for your valuable inputs, it helped me a lot to make the right decision. As of now I plan to keep the car for a year or two. Because selling now would definitely mean a downgrade and in the future I myself would question the decision.
After a year or two when I am financially okay I would go for a better upgrade.
So until then I bear the expense and enjoy the ride.

Thank you Guys
#ABTorquey is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 11:14   #19
BHPian

Quote:
This is a normal procedure at the showroom. A very frequent issue so as soon as you reach the showroom and tell them about the issue a technician will come and check which side sensor has gone and place the order for the same. When the part arrives you change it. For every visit I've seen at least two ABS cases. That's what makes me wonder, such a frequent issue and not being addressed by the company.
If the fault is with the sensor, how would a replacement of an already faulty sensor with a new (faulty) sensor solve the problem?.

Anyways , Time will tell.
Old 21st November 2020, 13:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am in this exact same situation. We own a Polo Diesel 2016 model and it's been almost 4 years of ownership and it was not a pleasant experience. I know many of you who owns a Volkswagen might be happy with the experience.
I would suggest following point of action

1. Get maximum available Extended Warranty. 7 yrs is maximum, I believe.

2. Get Amaron battery. VW OEM battery is no good in Indian driving conditions.

3. Selling car because of ABS sensor costing Rs 5000, would be a big loss to you financially.

4. ABS sensor also acts as a Speed Sensor. Which is why speedometer would be acting funny. Car remains mechanically fit to drive even when ABS sensor is conked off.

I have faced two ABS Sensor failure in 10 years of ownership. Failed after extended warranty expired. Its been 4 years since, no issues whatsoever with the car. Drives like a charm even today.

Get the car fixed and enjoy it. These small niggles happen.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 14:06   #21
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
I would suggest following point of action

1. Get maximum available Extended Warranty. 7 yrs is maximum, I believe.
It's not possible to extend warranty to 7 years if the extended warranty expires in 4 years. As per VW, one year add on warranty can be taken only once. So maximum is 5. I have tried to the warranty of my TSI for 6th year. But VW denied it stating that I have already taken the add on warranty for 5th year.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...just-once.html (Volkswagen's confusing warranty policy! Can add-on extension just once)

Last edited by anb : 21st November 2020 at 14:11.
anb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 15:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Iam guessing people in this thread alone would amount to almost a 100 sensors put together.

We need a way to repair and reuse these sensors. or a cheaper alternative. Although some of you may argue about quality, reliability etc etc. I guess its the only smart way.
danlalan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 19:03   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
It's not possible to extend warranty to 7 years if the extended warranty expires in 4 years. As per VW, one year add on warranty can be taken only once. So maximum is 5. I have tried to the warranty of my TSI for 6th year. But VW denied it stating that I have already taken the add on warranty for 5th year.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...just-once.html (Volkswagen's confusing warranty policy! Can add-on extension just once)
This has been resolved. VW now offers add-on warranty until the 7th year. However, the catch is that once the add-on warranty is opted, you cannot let it lapse in case you need to avail it for the next year.

However, there can be a gap between availing the add on warranty after the extended warranty expires.

On the abs sensor going kaput, I have had 2 sensor failures in the past 5 years, both failing during the rains.

On both occasions, I have requested the service guys to remove all four wheels and clean the abs sensor housing as well as the sensor each time i've visited the service centre just as a precautionary measure.
Old 21st November 2020, 19:29   #24
BHPian

Hello guys,

I recently experienced an ABS sensor failure on my 2016 Vento TSi. It failed almost like clockwork, within a week of me giving it for it's 4th year service. At first, it didn't show up as an ABS failure, just the speedometer acting erratically. It was actually crippling for the car because it's an automatic and it cannot function at all without a working speedometer. I feared that the DSG would fail if I experienced a few more mishaps like that, and immediately gave it to the service center. As luck would have it, they didn't have the spare parts on hand and I got the car back. Around this point, the ABS light started glowing but the speedometer works fine. So I've left it as is for now, because I don't want to change one just to have another go out and potentially cripple the car again. This one sensor costs 4.5k, and I don't want to spend upto 18k + the time of dropping and picking up the car repeatedly.

The people at the service center told me that they suspect that low running could be a cause, they spoke about vehicles that had run over 2-2.5 lakh KMs that haven't had these failures, whereas low run vehicles like mine(30k) and a couple of others parked there seemed prone to them. One chap behind me had to replace all 4 sensors on his Polo. :O
rkv_2401 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 21:14   #25
BHPian

I am looking to replace my 8 year old Etios Liva. Among others, the new Polo Highline Plus Automatic is also on my radar. I am willing to overlook the comparatively higher service costs in lieu of driving pleasure. But issues such as this really puts me in a bind and I can't justify the purchase decision to myself and family.
Any idea how other brands fare wrt the ABS sensor?Touchwood, never had an issue in my car.

Last edited by rajivr1612 : 21st November 2020 at 21:16.
rajivr1612 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 10:02   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now what I have decided is to sell off this car and buy something that gives some peace of mind than holding to a car which cannot be trusted. I have also had issues with the OE battery as well.
While annoying, these are hardly serious problems. Please read my thread on selling your car because of repairs (Want to sell your car because of repairs? Think again!).

Also remember that a known devil is better than an unknown angel .

Sensors are a problem area with most European cars, although VW definitely appears to be more affected by them.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 14:17   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
While annoying, these are hardly serious problems. Please read my thread on selling your car because of repairs (Want to sell your car because of repairs? Think again!).

Also remember that a known devil is better than an unknown angel .
It is a problem when you are in an automatic Polo and when you are stranded in the middle of the road as the car would not move and electricals and odometer start flickering. Imagine this happening to someone with family on a long road trip.

I have experienced this myself in the city.
Old 22nd November 2020, 20:02   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
*touchwood*
Count me in with you Gannu.

Polo 1.2 MPi: 83,000 kms (January 2016 car)
Polo 1.5 TDi:1,22,200 kms (December 2015 car)

Only petrol one had the sensor issue once, that too was due to a rat bite. Else other than the scratching noise with the front left power window; which they keep on replacing; along with the winder, under the extended warranty - time and again. Both the cars have been as reliable as a brick so far !

*touchwood*

That said, these things scare me more because, once my cars are out of extended warranty, what if these issues appear then?
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 08:39   #29
BHPian

I have faced this issue twice with my Polo GT TSI. Fortunately, the car is still under warranty and therefore got it replaced for free. I am also skeptical about keeping this car for a long time - It feels as though I might have to spend a bomb to keep this running.
Old 23rd November 2020, 09:49   #30
BHPian

ABS failure i think is a fairly standard issue in VW. There are a lot of threads here on the same as well. Got my first ABS failure in my Vento last year in September - Right Front Wheel. By December the Left Back Wheel sensor had gone kaput. Due to Covid then there was not much usage so the next one to go in September this year the Right Back Wheel sensor.

On checking with the A.S.S. they said that this is a fairly common issue in VW and failure in one usually results in failure of others subsequently with the A.S.S slowly milking out 4k each time from you. Also it was informed that each new sensor comes with a warranty of 1 year.

Most Viewed