Old 6th November 2020, 13:52   #31
BHPian

Re: Using a copper 'dabba' to prevent theft of keyless entry cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_lover View Post
Wouldn’t you call youself paranoid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Again, I mean no disrespect and felt that this was a little ott, but then again your car, your choices, it is a free world after all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
This sounds like bordering paranoid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I bought a heavy duty chain and the biggest disc type padlock I could find and started locking the vehicle`s steering overnight even when its inside the covered parking!!
I am most definitely paranoid about protecting my new car theft, no doubt about it. At the end of the day, it is upto the individual if they want to protect or not protect their investment and to what extent are they willing to go for that protection. If hiring a full time 'car bouncer' makes you sleep better at night, then I say go for it. As for me, knowing that RFID hacking is prevalent in the West and an emergent crime tech in India, I certainly do feel better after putting my key fob in the little Ganesha copper dabba after coming home instead of the usual bedroom drawer. I'd most certainly carry an extra RFID pouch/wallet/purse to store it when I get out of the vehicle at office/malls/market. As far as I am concerned, these are very minimal investments of time & money to make for even reducing the probability of my car being stolen by 1%.

Now coming to the likelihood of this happening in Delhi. Let me quote the following excerpt from a news article

'last year (2019) there were 46,215 such cases. However compared to the national average, the scene in Delhi remains bleak. The vehicle theft rate in Delhi in 2019 was 231.8 compared to 17.8 nationally and 12.6 in Uttar Pradesh -- the second ranked state in this category.'

Source - https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...0data%20shows.

Sure, the statistical probability of my car being among the unfortunate ~46,000 stolen vehicles is low, but then again there are specific risk factors which I am cautioning against, such as:

1. I have an open parking and there have been recent incidents of cars being stolen in my neighbourhood.
2. If you search for 'Car theft India' on Youtube, a vast majority of videos seem to originate in Delhi for the theft of popular cars like Hyundai Creta, Toyota Fortuner and Maruti Brezza.

While I do have a comprehensive car insurance, I do not see a good reason to not spend an extra minute, a bit of pocket space and an inexpensive storage to protect against a possible threat to my asset. You might not, and that's good for you. But if you're in the same boat as me, then maybe we can figure out solutions that add value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsan View Post
The convenience part of keyless entry is obviously sent out of the park.
You said it. In terms of convenience vs 'peace of mind'; a pouch or a 'dabba' is right up there IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
If they were really that smart, some of whom are pathological thieves by choice, agreed, they would have figured out a better life anyway. Brickbats welcome! But the fact is as above,( the technical part)
Thanks for the technical explanation! I agree, the common Delhi car thief is probably not this smart. However, don't rule out this technique catching up in the next few years with online videos and cheap equipment from China. On another note, here's such a (maybe) pathological thief in Noida:

Quote:
Even an Aluminium foil wrap would serve the same function!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J4J View Post
Faradays cage works with conductors. So yes, aluminum foil will work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
Would common aluminium foil do the same thing?
Yes guys! Aluminium foil does work. I had mentioned it as well in the opening post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
I also achieved moderate success by wrapping the fob tightly in multiple layers of aluminium foil (copper foil would have been more effective but I couldn't find any around my house), which did work but wasn't a great plan because the foil might scratch the fob and there's only so many times you can keep wrapping and rewrapping your key before starting the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
All those calling the OP paranoid didn't have any of their cars stolen, did they? If you park your car roadside then please get rid of the car cover and instead get yourself a gear lock as well as a clutch pedal lock. Maybe put something reflective on the gear & clutch lock to make it visible. Get a steering lock also if it isn't too much hassle.If its cakewalk then just take out the one which controls any electronic module that doesn't let the car crank.
Thanks for understanding and the practical and on-point suggestions

Good tip on the fuse box. Will explore.

Fortunately, my street is under NDMC CCTV camera coverage which are installed on my house wall and I do have access to the footage. Hyundai Bluelink does integrate GPS based telematics so that's another thing taken care of.

I did debate the visual deterrence vs conspicuity of a car cover. However, all my parking is tree lined which meats a lot of bird poop. So I got a TPH Pilot 373. Now I'm thinking about pasting 'Warning: under CCTV' stickers on the cover itself to prevent it from being stolen. Should have perhaps doled out a little extra for getting it printed as the material is not particularly great with adhesives.

I have also installed a combination lock type steering wheel lock. Removed the VIN sticker from the rear quarter window. Did think about tyre lock, gear lock and pedal locks too, but couldn't find a combination type one yet. Don't want to carry the hassle/risk with extra keys so I'll be on the lookout. Also looking for an OBD lock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Since we are on this topic of thieves stealing cars using remote key, I have an observation to report.

Every time, I keep my phone and the remote key in the same pocket of my pants, the car doesn't detect the key and I can't unlock the door with the access buttons. If I remove either of them from the pocket, the car starts detecting the keys. Phone and the keys don't go well together.
Interesting! I always keep my keyfob in the other pocket (with my wallet) because it might interfere with phone signal. I believe Tesla uses smartphones as keys these days and we may sometime see phone based keyless entry in India too.

Would be awesome if manufacturers can offer fingerprint-based biometric locking too, although passing the car to friends/family/valet might need some thoughtful design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
A quick question for the OP, what happens when you park in a public place, like a mall or a restaurant and such guys follow someone, can they not create a clone? In such situation, the permanent key covers, won't that be a better option?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
But do you really need a solution to carry this around while you go shopping? You don't expect thieves setting up entire team to line up in 'human+relay' chain to connect to your car while you happily shop around or are watching movie in the mall. Like adding 1 person every 30 ft.
Yes they can. Here's such an (educational) video of key fob hacking in a public space in Delhi.

After watching this video, I avoid using the keyfob to lock/unlock and instead use the button on the door handle. A pouch which I can store my key fob when I exit my car is the solution I'm currently looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
I would suggest investing in a detachable sports steering wheel and taking it with oneself after parking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
And what do we do about the airbag, steering mounted controls and horn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
Horn and steering mounted music controls can be worked around with a WOLO RC 100 and a Bluetooth music system controller. For safety, we can upgrade to a five point hardness which might require a racing seat. I haven't observed rally cars having airbags. The drivers do wear a helmet though.
Okay, I genuinely thought you were kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom_vroom View Post
1) What is the range of these key fobs?
2) Advertisements mention that having the key in your pocket is enough to press the unlock sensor and open the door. Is it possible that someone else can open the door while the key is in my pocket and I am standing within close range to the car?
3) Do the cars provide any kind of mechanism to disable this feature, maybe for safety?
4) Is it just a convenience feature or does it have any added security enhancements?
1) I think Lapis_Lazuli might be best qualified to shed more light on the operating range, but quoting his reply again here
Quote:
The moment you put the key in your pocket the RF attenuation at 315/433MHz due to flesh proximity and clothing layer and the humidity of the region, is often enough to degrade the MDS(minimum discernable signal) at the receiver, to enable a successful decode. To enable a lifetime of the CR2032 battery, the EIRP and the nett transmitter power is about 5-7mw in a signal "burst" that has a 2% duty cycle.
2) Not that I know of in my Creta, but as Raghukodali mentions, Innova Crysta apparently does to an extent

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghukodali View Post
Innova Crysta's key has an option to disable the signals from the key to save battery. when there is no signal from the key, no one can amplify it.
3) Beep alarm when the key is not detected inside the vehicle. Auto locking of doors after the expiry of a particular duration of time when key is out of range. These are some of the security benefits of keyless entry I could think of. BHPians might want to add more/elaborate.
iamitp is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 14:02   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for understanding and the practical and on-point suggestions
All kind of locks are useless and can be had in less than a minute, these are just deterrents to increase the time to jack the car so there's a possibility that they'll move on to the next Creta. However, if the order from the employer is, lets say of a 2020 White Creta and yours is the most suitable then it WILL get jacked.

When my Swift was stolen they had been doing rounds for 3 days and finally made the attempt on the fourth day when it was raining heavily.

CCTVs are useless, I had the footage of the previous 3 days along with when they jacked the car. What to do with the footage, you can't make out faces (usually they cover it) and the vehicle in which they do the recce is already a stolen one.
fine69 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 14:16   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
All kind of locks are useless and can be had in less than a minute, these are just deterrents to increase the time to jack the car so there's a possibility that they'll move on to the next Creta. CCTVs are useless.
Bang-on. Locks and CCTVs too are just deterrents. At the end of the day, you don't have to beat the thieves. You just have to beat neighbouring cars, around yours, at trying not to get stolen.
iamitp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 15:16   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Using this one currently and quite happy with the combination lock mechanism.
This is the best solution EVEN IF you don't lock it!

You need a tool only to dissuade the car thief to move onto your neighbor's car :-)

Hence my car theft prevention strategy is to always keep it dirty when on a trip and park it next to a car costing much more (Aspire next to a Creta!!) so that most sensible thieves will not even bother

@OP - thanks a ton - clever idea!
phamilyman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 15:33   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghukodali View Post
Innova Crysta's key has an option to disable the signals from the key to save battery. when there is no signal from the key, no one can amplify it.
Could you please enlighten us more on this? I have a Crysta and I didn't even know about this
drive_angry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 15:52   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Could you please enlighten us more on this? I have a Crysta and I didn't even know about this
Page 129 of my manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Using a copper 'dabba' to prevent theft of keyless entry cars-image-6.jpeg  

raghukodali is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 00:42   #37
BHPian

I was under the impression that the keyfob does not by itself send rf automatically, its send only when a key is pressed on the keyfob, otherwise it acts as a passive rfid chip which the car detects when unlocking with the door button. Is this not the case?
Old 15th November 2020, 13:41   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmitRavi07 View Post
I was under the impression that the keyfob does not by itself send rf automatically, its send only when a key is pressed on the keyfob, otherwise it acts as a passive rfid chip which the car detects when unlocking with the door button. Is this not the case?
But then how would auto folding mirrors work, which happens without any key press?
Old 15th November 2020, 14:46   #39
BHPian

Quote:
But then how would auto folding mirrors work, which happens without any key press?
The car detects rfid in the key and the position of the key to open the boot or unfold the mirrors? I am not sure thats why I am asking, at least this makes more sense to me than the keyfob always sending rf signal.
Old 16th November 2020, 11:27   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmitRavi07 View Post
The car detects rfid in the key and the position of the key to open the boot or unfold the mirrors? I am not sure thats why I am asking, at least this makes more sense to me than the keyfob always sending rf signal.
I don't know for sure either. In both cases though, the risk seems to be a hacker latching onto the signal/passive signature of the keyfob with a receiver and then amplifying/boosting it to unlock and the start the car.
Old 19th September 2022, 09:58   #41
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Hi All,

I have a similar concern, and found a useful article on the same.

Link: KEYLESS CAR THEFT PREVENTION: 6 WAYS THIEVES CAN BREAK INTO A CAR AND HOW TO PREVENT IT:
Best car anti-theft devices
We’ve mentioned a few devices that can prevent car theft above. Here are some of our recommended products:

- Faraday boxes and pouches
- Steering wheel locks
- Car trackers
- Video doorbells and CCTV

Has anyone found any products readily available on Amazon or Boodmo before we resort to a DIY approach ?
Old 19th September 2022, 10:08   #42
BHPian

WOW!

We people crib for keyless entry and key less start and then here we are looking for solutions to keep our cars safe due to the same.

Rather than getting a tech and trying to disable it, its better avoid such thing.
In such cases, the best I feel is to use the traditional method of using the actual key to open the door and start the car.
Old 26th September 2022, 10:56   #43
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
WOW!

We people crib for keyless entry and key less start and then here we are looking for solutions to keep our cars safe due to the same.

Rather than getting a tech and trying to disable it, its better avoid such thing.
In such cases, the best I feel is to use the traditional method of using the actual key to open the door and start the car.
Haha, if they had given the 'choice' to me as part of 'customization', I would have gladly asked for the manual key system. Analog is generally safer than digital

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks